SRowells Diablo 1.8 - Jenvey 45s & OMEX600

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
SRowells Diablo 1.8 - Jenvey 45s & OMEX600
Ah that looks great. Ill see what I can do this weekend. Should be a lot better once that's sorted out.

Last night was my first proper drive with the fly and box. I have to say without a gearbox and head in the boot and all the foot wells full of tools it is very good. 2nd gear absolutely pulls around corners and you can feel its trying to wheel spin over all the bumps down my country road. Roundabouts are a joy in second.

1st is amazing,
2nd is amazing,
3rd is a bit meh,
4th is a bit meh,
5th has a very positive shift and the car really jumps,
6th is slow but always feels good and I think its either exactly the same or a bit better for cruising.

Reverse is a bit difficult at the moment as there is no lever for the wire so I need two hands to pull the inner to get it into reverse D: Should be sorted next weekend! Once I can dremel off some of the outer and put it in the brake lever Big Grin
Thanks given by:
Are they Kris b's old rims, look nice on the car mate Smile
[Image: siggy1.jpg]

the smokey old bus that sounds like a tractor...
Thanks given by:
(01-04-2014, 08:03 PM)devils_fuel Wrote: Are they Kris b's old rims, look nice on the car mate Smile

They are the same but they arent his. I got these off ebay for half the price of what Jake wanted for his. These are in their original condition with polished rims and no buckles. They have been stored for years and were last on a ford capri. They are starting to corrode and need a refurb so thats on the list before shows. They are great wheels but unfortunately I can only run a certain type 266mm brakes underneath them which have no performance pads available.
Thanks given by:
Issue with doing the tracking with two bits of wood like that is you dont know how they setup against the rear wheels, thus rest of car. Although I do tend to use both methods at same time for accuracy. Just use my eye kf Im in a rush!
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
(01-04-2014, 09:29 PM)Piggy Wrote: Issue with doing the tracking with two bits of wood like that is you dont know how they setup against the rear wheels, thus rest of car. Although I do tend to use both methods at same time for accuracy. Just use my eye kf Im in a rush!

I'd rather just take it to garage then I know it's all correct. :-)
#2 Moonstone Blue HDI
[Image: 6b0c7309-5184-463c-9f73-2a7b96601418_zpsfdf041fe.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Never had to take any of my cars for tracking in over 5yrs...never had any tyre wear issues Smile
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
Glad to hear it all went well sam

Can't wait to see this in person,do you have the week off?
[Image: Cn91r40h.jpg] 
Astor 6 Fast road/track project
Thanks given by:
Looking great Sam!!! This is surely a different project! Keep at it mate :-)

JP
JP
Thanks given by:
Yeh its going well. Cant seem to pin down a date to do the rest of it though. The mappers are busy and so are Niall and grant. :/
Annoying as all the show and track dates are getting closer and closer D:
Thanks given by:
There's plenty of monkeys about who don't know how to use their tracking gear.

Unless you've got adjustable rear arms/adjustable mounts on the front you can't do anything with it anyway
Thanks given by:
So mapping is now booked for May 19th at 4pm. Work will hopefully be done on the 17th/18th!

Not much happened this weekend as I spent 2 days working on the speedboat. I did however get the reverse lever fitted which was a massive ballache. Should have just got a gti6 gearstick.

[Image: IMG_20140406_224356_zpsedscox9i.jpg]

Sam popped over on Sunday so we went for a ride in his 6. Its very nice and the pull is amazing. Can only dream that mine will be like that once its had all the work done. We then went out in mine and he was fairly impressed. Think we may have to book a trackday at some point Big Grin
Thanks given by:
Nice work Sam.

How did you get the reverse cable into the brake lever?
[Image: car-1.jpg]

Member of the 99% warning or you're nothing club

2000 Moonstone 1.8 Meridian - Sold
2000 China 3dr XS - Dead
1998 Diablo 3dr XSI
Thanks given by:
Good laugh sunday Big Grin

Yeah really impressed how the 1.8 handles definitely makes up for the lack of power it may have though I its the quickest 1.8 I've been in and much quicker than my old xsi.

Yeah searching as we speak for a weekend trackday,think we could have some interesting battles in the bends lol
Thanks given by:
(07-04-2014, 12:08 PM)Grant Wrote: Nice work Sam.

How did you get the reverse cable into the brake lever?

So.... it took forever. First I cut off the plastic collar off the cable. Then I took a dremel to the cables outer and cut that back about 2 inches. This was far too much so I had to put a few nuts in to make up the gap.

The brass clamp on the end of the wire was too big for the lever so I had to sand off about 3mm. The diameter of the gear stick is a lot smaller than the hole on the lever. To fix this I went round and round the stick with electrical tape to pack it out. And yeh... thats how I did it. Its not perfect but it works! Just!

(07-04-2014, 12:47 PM)7057sam Wrote: Good laugh sunday Big Grin

Yeah really impressed how the 1.8 handles definitely makes up for the lack of power it may have though I its the quickest 1.8 I've been in and much quicker than my old xsi.

Yeah searching as we speak for a weekend trackday,think we could have some interesting battles in the bends lol

Yeh the first bend! Then after that youll be miles away. Itll all be better once its mapped.
Thanks given by:
So not much has been happening lately.

Its had a bit of a clean and the lacquer peeling is happening even faster. The wheels need to be sent off to be refurbished.

Tonight I have been on ebay and I have bought...

a new soldering iron to wire the C5 mirror and the omex loom,
a helping hand so soldering is a bit easier,
vernier callipers to measure how much is left of the head
6m of vac pipe for the speedboat speedo and possible using any left over for the washer jets
VHT wrinkle paint to do the cam covers.

This extended weekend should see the head being given its last coat of paint and being put back together. I may also get round to fitting the braided brake lines and painting the callipers etc.
Thanks given by:
Another update!

A few things have happened. Its pretty outside!

[Image: IMG_20140418_163006_zpss8nmcz0q.jpg]
[Image: IMG_20140418_163145_zpsu1jzc4bg.jpg]

I did my tracking the most pikey way possible. It was 8mm out and now its even and a lot better to drive. Not sure how this has worked but it seemed to work perfectly!

[Image: IMG_20140421_112148_zps3hx4bnus.jpg]

My head seems to be out of tolerance but i need to get it checked properly as i dont have faith in my £5 vernier callipers!
[Image: IMG_20140421_170459_zpsqdltu39k.jpg]
[Image: IMG_20140421_170124_zpscndwty1k.jpg]
[Image: IMG_20140421_170115_zpskdut9w3a.jpg]

and at ace on monday evening it was an epic line up of cars outside the front doors! Tongue

[Image: IMG_20140421_211316_zps6l1x3ldr.jpg]
[Image: IMG_20140421_211305_zpsawvdmijy.jpg]

And the car is mostly ready and half packed ready for Spring Action day at Combe where I have two track sessions booked D: First time driving on track and its going to be raining and full of skylines! D:
Thanks given by:
Good good mate

Can't wait to get on track tomorrow Big Grin
Thanks given by:
heads ok its within the readings Wink

head is 137mm New so the maximum you can skim too is 136.8mm
Thanks given by:
Just lol at your gearstick, brake lever is bigger than the stick itself :p Does take a lot of faffing to get it mated up to a brake lever, never bothered myself in the end as didn't want to risk ruining the cable.

I've still got the 6 speed stick in mine - swear it touches the sunroof its that high

Suppose I feel I may one day want to throw another 6 box in the derv ...
Thanks given by:
(25-04-2014, 08:28 AM)7057sam Wrote: Good good mate

Can't wait to get on track tomorrow Big Grin

Should be interesting. Going to spend a long time with the indicators on letting everyone past! D:

(25-04-2014, 08:35 AM)cully Wrote: heads ok its within the readings Wink

head is 137mm New so the maximum you can skim too is 136.8mm

Its within the readings.. on one side! D: Im going to take it somewhere to have it measured properly. Probably get a 1.4mm gaskett just to be safe!

(25-04-2014, 08:40 AM)zx_volcane Wrote: Just lol at your gearstick, brake lever is bigger than the stick itself :p Does take a lot of faffing to get it mated up to a brake lever, never bothered myself in the end as didn't want to risk ruining the cable.

I've still got the 6 speed stick in mine - swear it touches the sunroof its that high

Suppose I feel I may one day want to throw another 6 box in the derv ...

The gearstick is very small and came with the car. I used to hate it but ive got used to it now. It used to not go into first but with the new box it is working very well!And yes the brake lever was difficult to fit as the shaft was so short.
Thanks given by:
I keep getting notifications saying there is only 5 weeks until French Car Show! D: Panic! Get all the things done! D:

In other news though last weekend saw both mine and the cars first time on track! It went really well! Got a few overtakes in and for some reason a lotus was holding me back. A few decent photos which make me very happy. Big thanks to everyone with cameras!

[Image: TH-TH-2014-04-26-Castle-Combe-Spring_Act...198ca1.jpg]
[Image: TH-TH-2014-04-26-Castle-Combe-Spring_Act...7f9ca1.jpg]
[Image: TH-TH-2014-04-26-Castle-Combe-Spring_Act...e97305.jpg]
[Image: TH-TH-2014-04-26-Castle-Combe-Spring_Act...eda9a1.jpg]
[Image: TH-TH-2014-04-26-Castle-Combe-Spring_Act...d5cb74.jpg]
[Image: TH-TH-2014-04-26-Castle-Combe-Spring_Act...5af9a8.jpg]
[Image: TH-TH-2014-04-26-Castle-Combe-Spring_Act...1162dd.jpg]
[Image: TH-TH-2014-04-26-Castle-Combe-Spring_Act...707bd1.jpg]
[Image: 14042964953_5cd45bb47c_b.jpg]

Also thanks to Sam for taking me out as 'Track Dad' for his two sessions. Definitely got better throughout the day. Sam also came out with me but didnt have much to say apart from making little yelps as we understeered around every corner in the afternoon sessions. Slightly big moment going into CAMP with full lock on but still heading straight towards the barrier.

Things to take away from time on track... more power, more grip, more brakes, less weight. But mainly more grip. The afternoon session was understeer world! All in all a great day!

However I am actually quite annoyed at the way action day was run. I paid £20 for a CD of photos and when I got home it was blank. Most of the photos I saw on their laptop were blurry, the car was only half in the shot or it was in the wrong 3rd of the picture! There were 3 teenagers and their mum selling the photos. They were all bored to be there and had no idea how to use photoshop. They just hit auto contrast, levels and brightness on every image before putting them on a CD! I told them about batch processing but they had no clue!

Sam and I also spent 30 minutes trying to get his gti6 onto the track as the stewards were putting everyone down a single track to the stand area which meant we couldnt get out. They said it wasnt their problem so I had to ask every driver individually to wait! Luckily everyone was understanding and we eventually got the cars out but it was a nightmare and the staff were rude! Camping was also shite... There were about 9 cars at camping, 2 of which were Hondas and were playing music till 1.30am. I asked them to turn it down at 1am... and they said "Why are you sleeping mate?" "yes of course im sleeping you tit" "Oh sorry, ill turn it up then" "Brilliant... thank you so much". I got my own back though as I got up early and put my music on max!
Thanks given by:
Cheers for a awesome weekend mate Big Grin

And knowing nothing broke aswell,something not right there Dodgy

But yet I also badly need more grip Obviously I'll use the track tryes next time and have lsd,adjustable rear shocks and 4 pots on the list.

Really really impressed how yours handled as combe is fairly bumpy in parts,definitely thinking about getting some avo's,are they gtx's?
Thanks given by:
You want to get an oil catch tank in there stop all the crap going into your inlet from the head Smile
Thanks given by:
I've got a catch tank but never fitted it. I guess I will actually need it when I fit the boddies!
Thanks given by:
if you hit understeer, winding more lock on it the last thing you want to do...
Thanks given by:
(29-04-2014, 08:46 PM)welshpug Wrote: if you hit understeer, winding more lock on it the last thing you want to do...

Well... It solved it haha. ALL THE LOCK!
Thanks given by:
(29-04-2014, 08:52 PM)SRowell Wrote:
(29-04-2014, 08:46 PM)welshpug Wrote: if you hit understeer, winding more lock on it the last thing you want to do...

Well... It solved it haha. ALL THE LOCK!

And a plentiful amount of right foot and shouting Big Grin
Thanks given by:
(07-04-2014, 11:33 AM)SRowell Wrote: So mapping is now booked for May 19th at 4pm. Work will hopefully be done on the 17th/18th!

I do love the optimism; work will start and be done in time for mapping!

Really happy to see this project going full steam ahead! Big Grin
Diablo Hdi Dturbo and 205 1.9 project - it lives!
Thanks given by:
So tonight I have officially used up my luck for the rest of this year...

Policeman: what's the speed limit?
Me: 70mph
Policeman: how fast were you going?
Me: er.... Yeh...
Policeman: 105mph for the last half mile.
Me: hmmmm
Policeman: thatsbyour licence gone. However luckily for you our speedo isn't calibrates. I know its late and there aren't many people about but it only takes one of them to do something you can't predict and you're gone. Take this as a strong warning. We have got another job to get to.
Me: bye!

So yeh... Going to have to grow up a bit really...

Then once thebpokice had gone I moved off and there was a strange grinding noise. Got out and the pads on both sides of the car are down to the metal. Not sure how that happened at that exact moment but they obviously need to be replaced asap Sad

An interesting evening!
Thanks given by:
(30-04-2014, 10:55 PM)SRowell Wrote: 105mph

(30-04-2014, 10:55 PM)SRowell Wrote: Got out and the pads on both sides of the car are down to the metal

(30-04-2014, 10:55 PM)SRowell Wrote: Going to have to grow up a bit really...

Certainly sounds like it...
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  SRowells Black Rallye Eeyore 736 229,050 22-05-2020, 10:11 AM
Last Post: Mighty306
  SRowells 3D Printed Cup Holders Eeyore 17 5,973 08-01-2017, 07:04 PM
Last Post: Magenta Sunset
  SRowells & Declantgs StanceBoard Project Eeyore 59 13,769 25-06-2012, 10:57 PM
Last Post: Eeyore