Londondan's Black Supercharged XUD New Video Inside!! :D

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Londondan's Black Supercharged XUD New Video Inside!! :D
Great to see this boosting again Smile
Thanks given by:
(27-10-2014, 10:41 PM)Niall Wrote: any more than about 7psi out of them chargers and your getting to the point where you are creating so much heat that its counteracting the extra boost.

This is how Darren had it geared, must admit I haven't done any research myself on what the tolerances are for it but remember this is a compound setup so will have a positive pressure ar the charger inlet anyway, not sure how much this is effected but certainly something to look at with regards to lowering charge tempo.... Water meths kit possibly needed!!

(28-10-2014, 09:45 AM)silverzx Wrote: I thought it would be louder on full blow!?

Honestly the video doesn't do it half the justice it deserves!!! I may look at getting a gopro or similar to mount on the wing on the charger side. That should help!! Lol

(28-10-2014, 09:55 AM)306Dan Wrote: Great to see this boosting again Smile

Cheers pal! Me too!!
Supercharged XUD Project - Dead

HDi Cabby Project Click
Thanks given by:
(27-10-2014, 10:41 PM)Niall Wrote: any more than about 7psi out of them chargers and your getting to the point where you are creating so much heat that its counteracting the extra boost.

I assume you're basing this on the airflow rate for a GTi6 at 7250rpm...

7psi on a 2.0 16v is not the same airflow rate as 7psi on a 1.9 8v spinning at 5000rpm... Therefore you can run higher pressures.
(16-05-2016, 10:45 AM)Toms306 Wrote: Oh I don't care about the stripped threads lol, that's easily solved by hammering the bolt in. Wink
Nanstone GTD5 GT17S - XUD9TE
Volvo V50 D5 R-Design SE Sport - Daily cruise wagon.
Thanks given by:
Science bitch!!! Lol

Cheers Ruan always nice to get another one of the derv boys involved Smile

HDi Cabby Project Click
Thanks given by:
Good to see its out on the road chap!

Few observations, motor dosnt sound very "crisp", could just be the camera, but id say not, would say your either need more timing / more fuel or more something, as it dosnt sound happy (veg will NOT be helping, get it on DERV ASAP and stop running that shit via your engine!) Have you tried turning the boost down to see if you start blowing coal? As it looks to me to be making more boost than it "needs" to be making at that power level...Or at least, in my terms it needs more fuel to be happy..

With regard to supercharger boost / pulley ratios, IIRC Dan is using the complete kit with my custom pulleys, in which case I calculated it to work on an XUD to peak out at 6k, and be within the superchargers factory book limits up to 5500rpm (only over for fractions of seconds) and provided cooler is decent still easily effective, the difference it makes to not just turbo lag, but overall boost is not to be underestimated.

I forget what turbo you are running, but I have posted a video below of the same setup on my car, only this was on a stock crank pulley (supercharger running at half speed so much more laggy), but still making 40psi of boost, and clean. So should give you an idea of the rough power it should make, at the time of this video (obviously this was a long time ago) my car was making in excess of 213hp, so theres no reason why yours shouldnt either, but you will notice the "crisp" sound I am talking about, any turbo derv needs to sound like this if its going to go properly, and something dosnt sound quite "right" to me with yours, but putting it on diesel again WILL help massively, trust me.

| Dyno Power Runs & Steady State Facilities Available, Just Ask Anytime |
| #DervMafia |

[Image: sigi-2.png]
Thanks given by:
Can defo see what you mean by "crisp" The pump is just lagging at the moment (only way I can describe it) Everything seems to be at a delay?? I may look to pay ya to make me something special if you have the time chap.

The tank is on its last fumes of veg as I wanted to use it up. It will be running on derv from now on.

Also not helping the noise is the exhaust as a blow where the downpipe meets the center. This will also be sorted hopefully tomorrow if the weather is dry enough.

Turbo is a td05hl 16g so should be suited to this application quite nicely for now maybe a little slow to come on boost but certainly not enough to be a problem for now.

Cheers for clearing up the charger pulley setup too, yes it is mostly the same as you had it other than the ps pump which will be getting sacked off.

Mate yours just sounds.... So crisp (was looking for another word but that just fits) Charger defo sounds better on mine though due to the pulley Tongue

And yes it burns plenty of coal with the boost down. Totally clean at the moment though. Excluding deliberately coaling! Lol

HDi Cabby Project Click
Thanks given by:
(28-10-2014, 07:51 PM)londondan86 Wrote: Can defo see what you mean by "crisp" The pump is just lagging at the moment (only way I can describe it) Everything seems to be at a delay?? I may look to pay ya to make me something special if you have the time chap.

The tank is on its last fumes of veg as I wanted to use it up. It will be running on derv from now on.

Also not helping the noise is the exhaust as a blow where the downpipe meets the center. This will also be sorted hopefully tomorrow if the weather is dry enough.

Turbo is a td05hl 16g so should be suited to this application quite nicely for now maybe a little slow to come on boost but certainly not enough to be a problem for now.

Cheers for clearing up the charger pulley setup too, yes it is mostly the same as you had it other than the ps pump which will be getting sacked off.

Mate yours just sounds.... So crisp (was looking for another word but that just fits) Charger defo sounds better on mine though due to the pulley Tongue

And yes it burns plenty of coal with the boost down. Totally clean at the moment though. Excluding deliberately coaling! Lol

Laggy pump is most likely just the effect of the veg, get it on derv and go from there...

Thats the same turbo in that case, so it should run exactly the same except way less lag! What size is your exhaust? And what is the air filter situation, sorry ive not had chance to look back in the thread
| #DervMafia |

Thanks given by:
Right so derv first then!! And see how she responds. That was also the first drive in anger for quite a while so needed a good clear through.
Exhaust is 3" all the way with just one rear box so should be no restriction at all, just the blow I mentioned before.
Air filter is an issue at the moment. It's just a cheap ebay jobby straight on the turbo, cold air is a problem. I have modified the original intake but to be fair it is crap. I mentioned in nials project that I'm considering morettes with a lamp out purely for functional reasons but not sure I like the chav impression these have now.... Dunno!!! Lol

HDi Cabby Project Click
Thanks given by:
Pull the filter off for 30 seconds and see if it goes any better!

It sounds real lethargic to come on boost, I'd definitely say there's an airflow related problem somewhere! I can't see the boost gauge on the run, so can't see whether the boost is coming up or whether the engine is waiting for fuel...

The fact it's not going mental the harder you rev it is typical of airflow problems too... Seems to build it's power, then just flatline...
(16-05-2016, 10:45 AM)Toms306 Wrote: Oh I don't care about the stripped threads lol, that's easily solved by hammering the bolt in. Wink
Nanstone GTD5 GT17S - XUD9TE
Volvo V50 D5 R-Design SE Sport - Daily cruise wagon.
Thanks given by:
Yeah, Now that I have learnt it has an air filter (lol) i think it would certainly be worth removing it to find out if its any different.....It took me a long time to find a filter that I could acaully run that "didnt drop power"
| #DervMafia |

Thanks given by:
Boost "seems" to build well. Although to be fair without anyone else on the car to take proper notice of where and when the boost comes in it is hard to tell on those kind of roads, especially if the roads are a bit damp!!

Ok so advice taken on first for next video:

1. run straight derv
2. Defilter
3. Fix camera onto drivers window to monitor boost vs revs

Cheers to both for input Smile

Fuel or air filter?? Fuel filter is stock at the moment Smile

HDi Cabby Project Click
Thanks given by:
air....
| #DervMafia |

Thanks given by:
Righto I'll report back mate Smile big thanks and repped

Any recommendations Darren?

HDi Cabby Project Click
Thanks given by:
One of these is used by bmw to flow enough air for 300bhp and it's oem-spec filtering. Stick it behind the bumper with a bit of weather protection and the high pressure in front of the rad should help feed it well.
306 HDi Deathtrap - 130bhp / 220lbft
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
That ^^ really needs to be in a box...thats just a filter element / will not take well to full dust / rain environments etc... I ended up usign a large green filter, and would highly recommend them tbh.
| #DervMafia |

Thanks given by:
isnt the honda s2000 a pretty decent and cheap enough filter to use? can flow a lot too!
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
On this airfilter chat

I was running a chronic K&N filter till it bust - so have switched to an enclosed pipercross while they sort a replacement.

Pipercross on the phone were adamant that their enclosed was good for beyond 350bhp - they were pretty good with info tbh, didn't recommend the carbonfibre one they do as it isn't as free flowing.

I daren't run de-filtered after doing so once and within a short space of time took some damage to the comp wheel, prob a dirty engine bay, but still.
Thanks given by:
I've got an enclosed piper cross here which may be an improvement on what I have...

Is large green filter a brand? Lol. I'll do a quick run defiltered and see the difference otherwise I may have to start a fresh thread on this in the xud section tomorrow as it may be useful to all.

HDi Cabby Project Click
Thanks given by:
(28-10-2014, 09:41 PM)londondan86 Wrote: I've got an enclosed piper cross here which may be an improvement on what I have...

Is large green filter a brand? Lol. I'll do a quick run defiltered and see the difference otherwise I may have to start a fresh thread on this in the xud section tomorrow as it may be useful to all.

Green cotton at a guess Smile
Phase 1 D-Turdo, K14@24 psi, De-cat, meaty backbox, Bosch pump, grinded LDA pin, duel air fed K&N =133.7bhp & 188ft/lbs
Thanks given by:
yeah green filters are a brand

was running a large one of those when the car pulled 237, though not as big as the beast darren had
Thanks given by:
^special moment. Cheers Matt Smile

(28-10-2014, 10:17 PM)zx_volcane Wrote: yeah green filters are a brand

was running a large one of those when the car pulled 237, though not as big as the beast darren had

It's finding the space for it too!! Very tempted to sack off the abs so it can sit there. Doesn't bloody work anyway!!

HDi Cabby Project Click
Thanks given by:
(28-10-2014, 08:54 PM)darrenjlobb Wrote: That ^^ really needs to be in a box...thats just a filter element / will not take well to full dust / rain environments etc... I ended up usign a large green filter, and would highly recommend them tbh.

Yeah, that's what I meant by weather protection, something to keep all the crap off. Tbf I also completely forgot that xuds don't need clean filtering thanks to lack of a maf to worry about, you can happily get away with using something oiled.
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
Well put 3/4 tank of fresh derv in today which has definatley improved things, it's now far more eager to go. However the pump still feels slow to react?? I tried winding a bit more fuel in but after half a turn the revs started to hang so backed it off a bit again.
Next I took the filter off and went for another blast but the rain came down then and just spun the tyres in every gear so gave up and went home.

Thinking of sacking off the abs as it doesn't work anyway and is taking up valuable space for a filter. Does anyone know the legalities of doing this?

HDi Cabby Project Click
Thanks given by:
If you remove all parts of the ABS system there is no issue for MOT...
Thanks given by:
(30-10-2014, 11:33 PM)Toms306 Wrote: If you remove all parts of the ABS system there is no issue for MOT...

Perfect! Cheers Tom. Does that mean shafts as well or just pump and dash bulb?

Also going to need to look at sorting the bloody rusted brake compensator on the rear beam. May keep an eye out for a late '6 or hdi estate axle anyway....

HDi Cabby Project Click
Thanks given by:
Theoretically it means everything, but i'd be very surprised if the mot tester spotted you had reluctor rings on the drive shafts, even if they did what's not to say it's a shaft from a scrappy from a different model. You will either need a four-port master cylinder or to split the brake lines btw.
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
Yep cheers poodle was thinking about the mc. I may split and re-pipe the whole car as I've decided it's going to get a full respray in the spring anyway.
It's running a 6 mc at the moment so unless there is another 23mm non abs one that is probably my only option.

HDi Cabby Project Click
Thanks given by:
406 master cylinder 23.5mm and 4 port
Thanks given by:
I am on a 2port GTi MC, no abs, using non abs brake lines. No rear adjuster. No issues. People talk about back end overtaking the front. I get up some decent speed and heavy breaking zones round here and never have any issues.
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
(01-11-2014, 11:45 AM)Piggy Wrote: I am on a 2port GTi MC, no abs, using non abs brake lines. No rear adjuster. No issues. People talk about back end overtaking the front. I get up some decent speed and heavy breaking zones round here and never have any issues.

I for one wouldn't fancy that setup. My kit-car didn't have a compensator on it when I bought it. This didn't rear it's ugly head until I had a proper emergency stop situation. Not pleasant having to sort out the arse end trying to go round on you AND stop quickly. Variable restrictors don't exactly break the bank and aren't rocket science to fit. Probably helps a lot if your rear brakes aren't quite up to spec.
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Londondan's HDi Cabby Project londondan86 11 7,261 07-06-2016, 12:09 PM
Last Post: insomaniac45
  Carlos182's Bora Project (Exhaust Video inside) Carlos182 122 40,957 26-02-2013, 06:57 PM
Last Post: Carlos182
  Londondan's Smoothed Stage 2 HDi Estate 152bhp RR Vid inside! londondan86 50 29,199 23-02-2013, 05:05 PM
Last Post: RJDubya