SRowell's Stage 1 Diablo HDi Estate

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
SRowell's Stage 1 Diablo HDi Estate
Yep what tom said...

We put a new clutch cable in which is an absolute bitch because of the air con pipes being in the way! I should be picking up a new clutch for £70 off a mate today and then hopefully me and tom can fit it in the next few days. Carl Chambers has quoted £100 to £150 for a change but i have no way of getting the car to him so that rules that one out! I could tow it round to the garage but i really doubt their prices will be anything worth considering!

I went to the scrappers the otherday and there was a 306 with the engine out. You can cleary see where the clutch cable goes but then imagine it with a mahoosive engine in the way!

[Image: IMG_20120704_151758.jpg]

[Image: IMG_20120623_172855.jpg]

Oh yeh with the clutch im picking up today i should also be getting adjustable rear shocks, a galleto and remaps, slim line fan and some FMIC bits... could so very easily turn into a beast! D:
Thanks given by:
today i picked up...

rear TA Technics shocks
brand new 3 piece clutch kit
2 silicon joiners
30cm of tubing
1 45 degree elbow
a galleto cable
5 maps
and a slime line fan!

£100! Big Grin
Thanks given by:
ummm....... wrong thread??

Big Grin
[Image: k6f9Fk]

Member of the 99% warning or you're nothing club
Thanks given by:

I'm confused..........how is this the wrong thread?
Team Orange Engine Bay

My flickr photostream - http://www.flickr.com/photos/markairey
Thanks given by:
When he updated this last night, he put the 1.8 update in here, with the yellow fogs and whatnot

Unless of course, I've lost my mind...

Thanks given by:
I think your loosing your mind....................................... Tongue

but now you mention it he has edited that post!
Team Orange Engine Bay

My flickr photostream - http://www.flickr.com/photos/markairey
Thanks given by:
yaaaay my sanity is intact!!

(what's left of it anyway...)

Thanks given by:
yeh dont worry guys i accidently posted in the wrong place! Samass must have read it all in the ten seconds that the wrong stuff was on for haha
Thanks given by:
Yep, totally dont spend all my time on here...

Thanks given by:
(12-07-2012, 10:02 AM)samass Wrote: Yep, totally dont spend all my time on here...

lmao

Good going with the clutch cable Sam/Tom, shame its the clutch itself, although might as well get it done, eh? Nice to see a little shopping list of upgrades too, should be an interesting project for you! Kinda makes me wish i was a little closer to your neck of the woods, cos then i could come and help out too, learn some stuff about the HDI. Big Grin

Keep up the good work for now lads, just dont let me see those Wolfrace Dragons of yours make an appearance, or ill find an excuse to come up there and slap you myself Sam! Rofl Big Grin
[Image: P1060836_zpsz3xgxt7q.jpg]
Thanks given by:
(12-07-2012, 01:19 PM)WiNgNuTz Wrote: Keep up the good work for now lads, just dont let me see those Wolfrace Dragons of yours make an appearance, or ill find an excuse to come up there and slap you myself Sam! Rofl Big Grin

Ah no, the Dragons were gonna be the surprise at the end, you spoilt it now. Tongue

Seriously though..........aparantly me and Sam are attempting this clutch change. Confused

I'm happy to have a go and gain some more experience/knowledge - as long as Sam knows I'm not really confident doing it and anything could go wrong lol. Speechless

But yeah, Sam seems to have persuaded me to attempt this with him! Smile
Thanks given by:
youll have it out and in within a few hours
[Image: sig-1.jpg]

106 Xud9 Conversion GtiD (2nd Engine Rebuild)
SOLD

Dan! Wrote:Want me to blow this one up for you aswel?
Thanks given by:
(12-07-2012, 03:05 PM)Diggers Wrote: youll have it out and in within a few hours

You've met me and Sam, right?? Tongue
Thanks given by:
I'm with diggers, shouldn't be too much of a pain, just take it slowly. I think you need to stop being such a pessimist, and believe in yourself Tom. You managed the turbo change on the golf, why not a clutch?
[Image: P1060836_zpsz3xgxt7q.jpg]
Thanks given by:
(12-07-2012, 04:12 PM)WiNgNuTz Wrote: I'm with diggers, shouldn't be too much of a pain, just take it slowly. I think you need to stop being such a pessimist, and believe in yourself Tom. You managed the turbo change on the golf, why not a clutch?

Changing the clutch doesn't bother me, its only a few bolts afterall. But its making sure everythings off first without breaking anything lol, I don't even know if I can lift a gearbox from that position (and I assume it'll be heavier than the 1.4 ones I was shifting about before lol)...........then everythings gotta go back exaclty right. Undecided

Turbo change wasn't hard with a little guidance from TDIclub and Ruan lol, but I reckon a clutch will be much harder.

As said though, I'm happy to give it a go.........should be an awesome sense of acheivement for both of us if we can do it. Smile
Thanks given by:
if you ge stuck get sam to ring me, some bits are a bitch
[Image: sig-1.jpg]

106 Xud9 Conversion GtiD (2nd Engine Rebuild)
SOLD

Dan! Wrote:Want me to blow this one up for you aswel?
Thanks given by:
Ok will do. Which bits?? Also, do we need any special tools before we start? I know we'll need some sort of clutch aligner unless Sam already has one, but is there anything else?
Thanks given by:
7 days ninja
Thanks given by:
and then you die?
did you answer the phone?? never answer the phone!!!

Thanks given by:
(11-11-2012, 01:24 AM)samass Wrote: and then you die?
did you answer the phone?? never answer the phone!!!

well it is someones birthday too so if i forget then yes! I will be dead! D:
Thanks given by:
(11-11-2012, 01:23 AM)SRowell Wrote: 7 days ninja

Took her for a drink on Monday....

/craigdavid Confused
Thanks given by:
Actually he met the girl on the Monday, took her for a drink on Tuesday, and was making love by Wednesday.
Night Blue VW Golf 7 GTD : Bianca 306 Rallye : Mini Cooper D (The Mrs')
[Image: wallye-gtd.JPG?raw=1]
HDi Owner for 200k/9 years
Thanks given by:
Lucky bastard.
Thanks given by:
Okay right I havent updated this for months! After swapping the clutch successfully i let Toms306 have the car. He had it for about 2 months until he got his own hdi estate. Whilst in his possession lots of things were fixed, the brakes, aux belt, dash lights, interior lights and most important it got a Stage 1 Whippy Remap.

I got the car back in November and obviously the swallows were taken off and stored and my spare set of cyclones went on. I took it up to Liverpool where I go to university and I left the 1.8 in a carport at my grans house. It drives really well and the 260 mile drive just flew by. By far the most comfy and easy drive Ive had!

Recently I had been debating over which to keep. The 1.8 or the estate. Two days ago I took the 1.8 for a spin up the road and it felt so slow compared to the hdi! Cant believe how much more powerful the hdi was and how I had been satisfied with the 1.8 for so long. It did sound epic though and it still looks great! And the short 4 inch gear stick? I have no idea how I put up with that!

Yesterday I went speedboating with Nauest who had just had his estate put through the body shop after an entire side was rammed by a 4x4. His estate looks mint now but I offered him a drive in a stage 1 estate and he loved it and could really notice the difference. Because mine was mapped when I got it I had never driven a standard hdi so I drove his and it was noticeably slower D: Really happy with the map now.

Today me and Tom set about some work. Lots of things to swap over from one car to another and lots of things to do to the estate. So here is a list of what I want to do in the next few days.

Done:
  • Black masked headlights
  • tinted sidelights
  • HIDs
  • Rear discs (drilled & grooved) and pads.
  • Removed the door open bulb.
  • Swapped diablo centre console.
  • Swapped dash surround.
  • Fitted mint leather steering wheel.

In progress:
  • Fitting gti6 front brakes with drilled and grooved discs.
  • Fit adjustable rear shocks.

To do:
  • Super secret sub and amp install
  • Fit FLI Comp 6s
  • Debadge
  • Tint rear windows.
  • Swap bonnet badge.
  • Swap mint half leather seats.
  • Fit footwell leds
  • Fit C5 Autodimming mirror.
  • Fit stickerbombed sun visors.
  • Fit boost gauge.
  • New foglights
  • Fit flyeyes on rear lights.
  • Fit shortshift but with longer stick.

So thats it for what I want to do over christmas. But what I want to do before the start of the new show season gets a bit more serious D: These are pretty much in order.

Easter Plans:
  • 306OC sticker & other classy stickers for the back window
  • Decat
  • Debackbox
  • Decentrebox
  • Paint engine bay and engine cover.
  • 60mm Drop
  • Deep dish/staggered alloys with decent 50 profiles.
  • Medium FMIC
  • 155 limited Torque Remap.
  • Reline headlining!
  • Smooth bonnet
  • Custom screen install with either a gamecube, raspberry pi or a tablet.

The very very eventual list:
  • Super secret intake project.
  • Ecosse spoiler or something different.
  • 23mm Torsion Bars
  • Relined door cards
  • Smooth boot
  • Uprated clutch
  • 160 Remap
  • V70 pump and uprated injectors and custom map.

So yeh a decent 5 hours work today and hopefully tomorrow will see us the rest of the way through the list! I am enjoying the car a lot and its amazing how it only cost £300 to buy! Admittedly after a £70 clutch and the rest of the money ive given tom it has cost about £600 but its still very good!

Ive been taking lots of pictures of everything ive done so expect a few guides. Here are some of the pictures of what we did today. A lot of things are still in progress so once they are done and ive cleaned the car Ill get some decent photos!

When I first got the car back off tom:
[Image: IMG_20121118_102936.jpg]

Life boat pictures!
[Image: 61797_3479557607752_2072578869_n.jpg]
[Image: IMG_20121216_113854.jpg]

The last time the 1.8 was fully modified Sad
[Image: IMG_20121117_155631.jpg]

The two estates on the drive:
[Image: IMG_20121219_151656.jpg]

How we finished today:
[Image: IMG_20121219_151714.jpg]

more to come tomorrow! Big Grin
Thanks given by:
No work today as its tipping it down with rain and its super windy! Hopefully the car hasnt blown off the stands but i bet that the buckets for catching the brake fluid have blown down the road!

Might fly eye my rear lights once ive finished working from home!
Thanks given by:
(20-12-2012, 01:20 PM)SRowell Wrote: Hopefully the car hasnt blown off the stands....

Oh shit.....lets hope its not that windy, that could be a big issue with no wheels/discs for it to fall on! Undecided

On another note, the estates looking better already! Big Grin

Definitely needs lowering though.... Wink

[Image: Estates011.jpg]

[Image: Estates012.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Ahhh tom youve made my car look more lopsided than it already is D:
Thanks given by:
The 1.8 looks really nice on them pics. Nice plans for the estate tho

S2 HDi >click<
154bhp
280lbs/ft
Thanks given by:
(20-12-2012, 02:24 PM)SRowell Wrote: Ahhh tom youve made my car look more lopsided than it already is D:

Not sure thats possible? Confused lol I'm sure we'll be able to level the bumper up eventually though, not so sure on the bonnet gap though.
Thanks given by:
(20-12-2012, 02:39 PM)Arron Wrote: The 1.8 looks really nice on them pics. Nice plans for the estate tho

thats because it is really nice Doh

anyway. ive got all my nice parts now and they are all transferable. Apart from the lowering I can always make a car that looks like that 1.8 again just next time itll be a gti!

(20-12-2012, 05:15 PM)Toms306 Wrote:
(20-12-2012, 02:24 PM)SRowell Wrote: Ahhh tom youve made my car look more lopsided than it already is D:

Not sure thats possible? Confused lol I'm sure we'll be able to level the bumper up eventually though, not so sure on the bonnet gap though.

yeh we will need to check out the bumper. I think it may have properly warped though. As for the bonnet we will have to see if that spare one ive got fits without distortion. Then we will know if its just the bonnet or the entire corner of the car. My bet is that it is the entire corner! Doh
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Silvery Stage 2+ Estate RA306 21 5,936 15-08-2017, 06:00 PM
Last Post: RA306
Exclamation PH1 genesis STDT sedan! Stage 2 soon be stage 3 GT20 strictly_perv 127 36,959 16-06-2014, 05:06 PM
Last Post: MissTap_GTI6
  Cully's Stage 1 HDI Estate ongoing Project cully 38 22,793 11-06-2014, 04:46 PM
Last Post: Eeyore