bit of work on my 406 v6 coupe

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
bit of work on my 406 v6 coupe
as the im on "gardening" leave but only have a barked area and small amount of grass to cut that didnt fill much of my time up.

so as the sun was shining today i set about doing a bit of work on the v6.

firstly it got a bath in dodo juice shampoo
then a coat of auto glym super resin
two coats of poorboys black hole sun
and at the moment a coat of poor boys natty blue wax is curing!!

here are a few pics from before the nattys blue

[Image: DSCF3478.jpg]

[Image: DSCF3479.jpg]

not a bad reflection!!

then i wanted to change the plugs as id not done them since i got the car, removed the throttle body and inlet manifold so i can get too it

[Image: DSCF3477.jpg]

wasnt as bad as i thought to get too it, just the bolts on the lifting eyes at the rear of the engine that thru me a small curved ball!!!!

any way whilst the manifold was off i thought i would give it a clean!!

so set to it with the wire wheel and started to clean it

[Image: DSCF3474.jpg]
before

[Image: DSCF3475.jpg]
during

after will be posted tomorrow, need to find the mount for my set of polishing mops and soap so i can try and polish it properly

a few tweeks will be made whilst its apart,

the inlet manifold gasket is being replaced with a 6mm thick ptfe one, these are widely used on jap cars to reduce heat transfer between parts and ultimatly reduce the air temp in the inlet tract
these are still being worked on so pictures will be up tomorrow.

next is the throttle body, have had a spare one of these almost since i got the car, i started with fitting a standered paper gakset and marking the inner edge of where the gasket comes too, this is a good few mm outside of the edge of the tb mouth.
i then got the die grinder out and removed the excess material and smooth it all in to the tb itself.
i then looked further in to the tb at the ridge just beofre the butterfly / throttle shutter and proceeded to smooth this in, make the step from it much smaller and more radioused out.
hopefully the upshot of this will be better throttle response and maybe a bit more power, more air in equals more squish so a bigger bang!!

i will also make a ptfe gasket to go in btween the inlet manifold and throttle body, these will all be updated tomorrow when they are completed.

I will also be making a few uprated ground earth cables to go to the rear bank of the engine (already have them on the front bank) these are provem to help smooth out the idel, cut down on ecu faults, improve light output and have being shown on rolling roads to add a n extra bhp or two

a further update will be posted tomorrow
Thanks given by:
Sounds like a busy day! I do really like the V6s (even if they are a bit wallowy) and this is one of the nicer colours! Looking good mate Smile
Thanks given by:
Yes it is a very good example of one!!
Being owned by coupe club members for the last 7 years or so!!
Hence why when's muppet crashed in to me last year I made sure I repaired it with genuine panels (albeit 2nd hand but in correct color)

The suspension isn't that mad, though a 30mm helps things
Thanks given by:
I had a 30mm or so drop on mine, and for what it is, it doesn't handle all that bad. But it's just so big, and although the adaptive steering (or whatever it's called) is good, it doesn't quite have the same feel so it doesn't really give you the same feedback...I'd end up understeering and although I wasn't able to feel it I could just see the car moving a few feet in the wrong direction lol

I managed to offend one of the owners of one of the coupe clubs (not sure which, it was a while back) when I joined, as I said I wasn't massively keen on the provence blue coupes, "but at least it's not yellow"...and what do you know, the owner of the club had a yellow car and wasn't too happy about that lmao

Have you got any more pics of the full car?
Thanks given by:
I'll put some up tomorrow when I'm on the laptop
Thanks given by:
todays update

all back togeather, i have a sore neck from sun burn!!

[Image: DSCF3484.jpg]
pic of the gasket in place, sorry forgot to take a pic of it pre fitted

[Image: DSCF3480.jpg]

the tb, on the left is the modfied one and the right is the standered one.

cant really see from the shots but just before the buttefly is amassive step, most of this has being removed

[Image: DSCF3482.jpg]
standered tb

[Image: DSCF3481.jpg]
modfied tb which shows the step, or lack of it now

[Image: DSCF3485.jpg]

inlet manifold inlet opened out to port match with the gasket and the radius inside smoothed and blended

hit a few snags putt ing all back togeather, the main one was the bolt holes for the rear lifting hooks so i had to take them off and file the holes open slightly

have only taken it for a quick spin around the block but throttle response feels better, engine note has changed and is now even more throaty!!

and here is how she looked on the 28th june last year after an idiot pulled across me

[Image: coupedamage2.jpg]

[Image: coupedamage.jpg]

[Image: DSCF2725.jpg]
and after i had repaired it
Thanks given by:
my coupe was one of my better buys. i loved it and wish i never sold it. i also was in the 406 coupe club. mainly the older type members though. even for me lol. yours is looking nice mate, brings back soooo many memories looking at one.
[Image: newsig_zpsee86fa10.jpg]
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  306 Dimma Coupé Pbalerado 9 3,915 07-12-2016, 12:06 PM
Last Post: johnnygomez
  2.2HDi coupe Dum-Dum 64 29,647 07-03-2013, 01:49 PM
Last Post: Dum-Dum
  Scotts 406 V6 Coupe Scott 29 7,024 01-02-2012, 09:21 PM
Last Post: Foxy-jim