Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
1999 Cabriolet Cleanup!
I assume it passed n is now back on the road? Good news if it is.  Interested to see how things work/worked out with the rear window.

How many miles did you clock up whilst the dials were 'wonky'? The mileage is recorded in the security module n as far as I know can't be changed. Not sure I would worry that much as it's still showing v low mileage anyway!
Thanks given by:
It's booked in for retest, need a dry day so I can replace the wishbone bushes!

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk
Thanks given by:
I would leave it as it is. Just be honest about the milage of the car and the mileometer when selling the car. There are so many 15+ year old cars with new engines or dashboards...
Thanks given by:
Got a bit done today, till I ran out of daylight! Replaced the passenger wishbone and bushes, and discovered that the passenger side CV boot wasn't split, but the clip on the gearbox end of the shaft was missing, so repacked it with grease and replaced it. Will check again in a few days. Before darkness came I had started stripping away the airbox so I could refill the gear oil, through the top there looks to be a sensor? Looks like a 21mm spanner could open it, can I fill the oil through here?

Thanks given by:
And it's tested for another year! Not without it's trials (typically), the wishbones I ordered were the riveted kind, so held onto the old ones so I can rebuild when (if) I get a weekend I'm at nothing else. Driver's side fitted- not a problem. Passenger side fitted- driveshaft wouldn't go back in properly, and when it did the passenger wheel was toed in at least half a turn of the steering wheel while the driver's side wheel remained straight ahead. Enlisted the help of a mechanic/teammate on my football team, who deduced that the replacement passenger side wishbone was 2cm shorted than the original. As the two wishbones I bought were identical in size and length I assume the passenger side had a replacement hub/suspension components at some stage (there are signs of old repairs on that side, slightly bad paint job on the pass wing, frosted foglight on one side, clear on the other, different coloured top door hinge on pass door, one headlight takes H4, other H7) so I shouldn't be entirely surprised. Still, something to chalk up to experience and remember for next time![Image: df224f17003784a01e38e6e2e3598b03.jpg]

Thanks given by:
Had a bit of an issue arising the past few weeks, so with the first dry bright Sunday evening I had the chance to investigate. On start up the car will review to about 2000rpm, idle there for about ten seconds, then settles back down, but is idling very very rough. Also when pulling off or accelerating out of corners or off roundabouts it hesitates a lot under acceleration. I had a fuel filter I bought but never fitted so did that in about 5 mins. Didn't really think it would fix the issue, and alas it didn't.

Things I'm going to check after checking the forum-

MAP
ICV
Spark Plugs

Any other suggestions?

Thanks given by:
I'd check for a vacuum leak first.  After that ICV and MAP are candidates.  The info on here for testing sensors (power supply to them & sensor itself) is also applicable to your car.  http://www.306gti6.com/forum/showthread.php?id=80340.   Even if you test the voltage on the wiring though that isn't a guarantee the wire can carry a load & allow the ECU to have control / receive signals.  It may be cheaper in the long run to get a diagnosis from good garage.

If you decide to sort it yourself & go down the road of replacing the MAP and/or ICV, whatever you do don't go for the really cheap one off eBay.  They probably won't work properly & might send you down a diagnostic blind alley.  Your cab is a Phase 2 isn't it?  If so …

MAP - Pug number 1920.9H, Bosch 0 261 230 012
ICV - Pug number 1920.X9, Magneti Marelli 820003385010, VDO C95197
Thanks given by:
Thanks a million! Haven't looked at it again since but it's something I want to do this week, it sort of stopped doing it so hard to try process of elimination!

So today being another gorgeous if windy day I decided to make a stab at replacing the rear window.

Window off: about 90 seconds
Cleaning the adhesive tape residue off the roof: about three hours!
Zipping in new window and pressing on new tape: about 30 mins

Came out pretty well, and a damn sight better than the old one!                        

Thanks given by:
Good job. Window looks great!
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Rainbow Partybish's 190k HDI Cleanup Thread partybish 58 7,310 19-08-2018, 12:12 PM
Last Post: PugLee