Handbrake Light while driving

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Handbrake Light while driving
So about 5-10 mins after starting driving the car, I get this handbrake light, which if you pull the handbrake the light goes a more intense colour, plenty fluid in the reservoir as just topped it up before the light actually appeared, thoughts?
Thanks given by:
crap/dust in h/brake switch?? you topped up the brake fluid, is there a leak??
Thanks given by:
No leak, guessing the handbrake switch is the little black button to the left of it?
Thanks given by:
Yep Smile
Phase 1 D-Turdo, K14@24 psi, De-cat, meaty backbox, Bosch pump, grinded LDA pin, duel air fed K&N =133.7bhp & 188ft/lbs
Thanks given by:
or pad warning wire is doing its job ?? or even shorting out ?
Thanks given by:
Not enough info to know if this car has the pad thickness ( or lack of ) warning system, but he did just top up the brake fluid, gone down due to pad wear?? makes sense.  Check if yours has the pad wear indicator wiring. Our estate does not have this function/feature.
Thanks given by:
My 306 done this a while back, it turned out it was leaking brake fluid, this I wasn't aware of until my brake pedal hit the floor when I pressed it
Thanks given by:
No issues with any leaks, tried hitting the black handbrake switch, light is still on unfortunately, pads are pretty new all round, mystery! (its a 1999 V Plate HDI GLX)
Thanks given by:
If you take the centre bit of cowling out around the handbrake there is a switch there, have a look and give it a few pushes with you fingers and a clean up, may just be sticking!
1.9 diesel Phase 2 - scrapped
1.8 meridian Phase 3 - going strong!
Thanks given by:
I bet a pad warning light wire is grounding somewhere
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
It's a ph3 HDi, I'm yet to see one with pad warning... Confused
Thanks given by:
(08-04-2016, 07:49 AM)PugRory Wrote: If you take the centre bit of cowling out around the handbrake there is a switch there, have a look and give it a few pushes with you fingers and a clean up, may just be sticking!

If your on about that black button next to the handbrake, ive tried pressing it a few times.
Thanks given by:
its under the handbrake, not next to it.

pad warning is an orange light not the red handbrake/low fluid warning.

unplug the sender and see what happens.
need a part number? http://public.servicebox.peugeot.com/ and http://service.citroen.com/ will sort you out.
Thanks given by: PugRory , MY95
(08-04-2016, 08:51 AM)MY95 Wrote:
(08-04-2016, 07:49 AM)PugRory Wrote: If you take the centre bit of cowling out around the handbrake there is a switch there, have a look and give it a few pushes with you fingers and a clean up, may just be sticking!

If your on about that black button next to the handbrake, ive tried pressing it a few times.

Possibly? Its attached to the floor when you removes the centre console around the handbrake, if we're on about the same switch? I'm assuming there's one switch haha It operates if the handbrake is down (lights off) handbrake up (Lights on)
Thanks given by:
I just know I pressed the black little button around the handbrake area and it hasn't made a difference, will press it again and see what happens aha, not sure where the sender is or this other button under the handbrake
Thanks given by:
(08-04-2016, 09:47 AM)MY95 Wrote: I just know I pressed the black little button around the handbrake area and it hasn't made a difference, will press it again and see what happens aha, not sure where the sender is or this other button under the handbrake

I'd change the switch if I were you mate

(08-04-2016, 09:47 AM)MY95 Wrote: I just know I pressed the black little button around the handbrake area and it hasn't made a difference, will press it again and see what happens aha, not sure where the sender is or this other button under the handbrake

Handbrake switch is under the handbrake dude
Thanks given by:
There is only one switch under the handbrake, you're both talking about the same one lol. Could pull it out and see if it's corroded or anything?

Most likely the fluid level one at fault though.
Thanks given by:
(08-04-2016, 10:16 AM)Toms306 Wrote: There is only one switch under the handbrake, you're both talking about the same one lol.  Could pull it out and see if it's corroded or anything?

Most likely the fluid level one at fault though.

I thought there was only one! haha
Thanks given by:
I thought there was only one too, was getting confused hearing there was two switches lol Will press it a few more times and see if it sorted it aha
Thanks given by:
Something rings a bell i had a similar issue before and i think that was the handbrake light not coming on at all. Think that was the wire broke off the connector onto the handbrake switch. Maybe worth taking the console off around the handbrake and having a play.
Thanks given by:
So, driven the car quite a bit recently, hasn't been coming on 5-10 mins into a drive, thought I got away with it but its not coming on about 30-40 mins into each drive haha, Peugeot electrics for you....
Thanks given by:
Stop every half hour, no problem then... Big Grin
Thanks given by:
CBA for that Sh1t Tom, got places to be :p Wont matter for MOT as it wont come on in time anyway lol
Thanks given by:
Did you ever sort this? Mine has started doing it to?

The estate did it once and that was the fluid level and that did exactly as you said, was on but not as bright but was then brighter when the handbrake was up.

Bloody front N/S ABS sensor has been flagged to on mine. Does anyone know if the fluid is low would that be flagged in PP2k?

I'm going out to have a play on it now.
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  how many things does handbrake light represent? dr_jekyll 7 1,991 02-04-2015, 09:42 PM
Last Post: Vpricey
  Abs light & handbrake light. mcglynn 4 1,694 17-12-2014, 11:01 PM
Last Post: mcglynn
  handbrake/low fluid light on dash gavxud 2 1,313 15-02-2014, 11:50 AM
Last Post: gavxud