Breakdown Cover?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Breakdown Cover?
(10-12-2015, 07:10 PM)Toms306 Wrote: More people will write bad reviews than good...  They're all shit so find the cheapest! :D

What annoys me with EVERY one I've used so far is that they won't just send a recovery truck straight away, even when you tell them the exact fault and that if it is not at all fixable at the side of the road.  They just waste your time sending a crappy van out first. :dodgy:

Rac didn't when I asked,  just sent a flatbed. 

Had to use  3 times in 12 years. No major gripes tbh.
Night Blue VW Golf 7 GTD : Bianca 306 Rallye : Mini Cooper D (The Mrs')
[Image: wallye-gtd.JPG?raw=1]
HDi Owner for 200k/9 years
Thanks given by:
I use RAC for the 6 and the few times i have needed them they have been spot on!
My work car is with the AA and the last time i used them when the clutch went, they were spot on but the time before i needed them they were awful
Team Eaton

1999 China Blue 306 GTi6 - Eaton Supercharged - 214.5bhp 181lbft
Thanks given by:
I probably responsible for everyone's premiums going up with the AA
Thanks given by:
Actually paying for breakdown cover properly is a bit of a rip off. Get it through your bank/insurer is the better more affordable way of doing it. Just make sure the cover has the features u want.
CLUB RALLYE
||AVO Race GTX Coilovers||Signature Blue Steels||P1 VTS Rack||Hybrid ARB||21mm Torsion Bar||rich_w Flywheel||
Thanks given by:
Remember to check if they cover the age of your car.

I used topcashback last year when I bought my 1998 6 and I noticed quite a few policies limited the age of the car. I ended up with The AA.
Thanks given by:
Never had any cover and never paid out a penny for breakdown cover nor had any other than the couple of car purchases in England and put on my sisters policy for the 24 hours I needed, considering other than company vans I've driven almost nothing but 306's for the last 13-15 years and somehow managed to get home with the car every single time ive had an issue over about 250 - 300K in all my 306's!
Never had a complete failure so far, I'm holding on to a big lump of wood here :-)
Converse leather laces, metal coat hangers and QUICKSTEEL have been a few of the roadside bodges among many others but used to love them to death quite often! ( now just love them and trying to preserve and spoil a low miler for once )

Had to use  3 times in 12 years. No major gripes tbh.
[/quote]

This above is why I don't buy it! How much for the cover over 12 years?
Thanks given by:
AA were always great for me, many, many rescues including happily towing me out of a ditch when it was obvious i'd just been drifting in the snow and another time recovered my car to another address despite it already being on my Dad's driveway in pieces. lol They definitely earnt their yearly subscription fee lol. RAC were never as good in my experience, lots of quibbling over details and attempts to charge extra for circumstance, etc.

I only stopped using the AA because there's now very little they can do to help that i can't do myself, i would still use them if i was doing regular long-distance journeys.
306 HDi Deathtrap - 130bhp / 220lbft
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
(12-12-2015, 07:11 AM)Poodle Wrote: AA were always great for me, many, many rescues including happily towing me out of a ditch when it was obvious i'd just been drifting in the snow and another time recovered my car to another address despite it already being on my Dad's driveway in pieces. lol They definitely earnt their yearly subscription fee lol. RAC were never as good in my experience, lots of quibbling over details and attempts to charge extra for circumstance, etc.

I only stopped using the AA because there's now very little they can do to help that i can't do myself, i would still use them if i was doing regular long-distance journeys.

Hey Poodle although I've never used it I agree about the little they can do that you can't do other than tow you at times and probs only cos I've owned 16 ish dailies' so know my way about it but for all newish owners I would 100% reccomend cover but just can't justify the outlay of £££ when in most cases its something you can sort on the spot!
Quick edit Soz - my toolbox would probs look like a joke to most but it's kinda tailored to run a 306!
Thanks given by:
Who gives a shit what it cost? You think I want my wife stranded 200 miles away on the motorway if the Worst happened? I was commuting over 40k a year, what's wrong with being able to phone someone to get you home when it's minus 10 so you can fix it properly in your garage rather than being a pikey, besides theres not much you can do with a dead fuel pump at 10pm on a Sunday...

I have done almost half a million miles in that time with them plus I have only ever used club card points to get it anyway so haven't ever actually 'paid' since work expenses produced the requisite points. If you're too tight to pay for it that's up to you!
Night Blue VW Golf 7 GTD : Bianca 306 Rallye : Mini Cooper D (The Mrs')
[Image: wallye-gtd.JPG?raw=1]
HDi Owner for 200k/9 years
Thanks given by:
(13-12-2015, 07:46 PM)C2K Wrote: ... besides theres not much you can do with a dead fuel pump at 10pm on a Sunday...

Poor effort, could've rigged up a hand primer on the centre console and kept pumping on the way home. Wink

I do agree though, I'm pretty tight but even I'll pay for the peace of mind of recovery.
Thanks given by:
I've been recovered from Leeds to reading
east London to reading
near my house to reading several times. Minimal fuss each time.
Worth it in my opinion.

I've been with lads working in Brighton for example and the wheel bearing had failed, wasn't a member of a break down team. Had to join there and then and cost him a snap fortune
Thanks given by:
(13-12-2015, 07:46 PM)C2K Wrote: Who gives a shit what it cost? You think I want my wife stranded 200 miles away on the motorway if the Worst happened? I was commuting over 40k a year, what's wrong with being able to phone someone to get you home when it's minus 10 so you can fix it properly in your garage rather than being a pikey, besides theres not much you can do with a dead fuel pump at 10pm on a Sunday...

I have done almost half a million miles in that time with them plus I have only ever used club card points to get it anyway so haven't ever actually 'paid' since work expenses produced the requisite points. If you're too tight to pay for it that's up to you!

No need to get angry C2K as I meant no offence to you by quoting a bit of your post, I don't think you want your wife stuck on a motorway 200 miles and I sure as heck ain't no pikey just because I will happily use whatever I have to hand to give a temporary fix to get home and fix it properly or replace with a new part! And no I ain't too tight to pay out for it, I just don't need it and my money is better spent elsewhere!
My wife does not drive and if she did I would probably have cover for her benefit!
But as I said at the start no offence was meant to you in my post so chill out man :-)
Thanks given by:
I have just renewed for the 3rd year with GEM - £130 for joint personal cover - so covered for any car and absolutely no age limit on cars.The age limit with most companies is why I went back to GEM (I had been with them years before when they were the Guild of Experienced Motorists ) - Seemed sensible as I had gone back to driving an older car again - we have the 1997 306 and also a 2002 Polo 1.4.
Thanks given by:
with the AA too, only needed them once properly and they were faultless. (spectacular even).

HAve the relay cover, which I paid extra for (I think it was £60) and the turbo fell off the manifold on my install, in Liverpool.

Called them up the Wednesday morning, came out and called around a few garages who all basically said no they couldn't do it (it was a formality the driver said he had to do just in case they could fix it within a reasonable time) and then towed me, free of charge as it was included in the service, from Liverpool to Southampton with transit on the back of a flatbed all the way.

speaking with the driver they drive to a set point midway and swap with a more local driver, he did say that sometimes (like me) the next truck was ready or there in a few minutes, but other times it could take a little time to get the next truck there as they were also handling local breakdowns.

every stop we made I had a truck already there waiting for me, so it was a case of swap pug to the new vehicle, continue journey.

Best case scenario imo.
Given the choice between Niall and the sheep. I would choose the sheep!
/Toseland
Thanks given by:
That sounds pretty good. I have gone with GEM as they have seriously good reviews on what car I think it was.
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Breakdown Cover Toms306 14 4,536 03-06-2018, 08:21 AM
Last Post: Iceman299
  Best Breakdown Cover Eeyore 47 8,265 09-03-2017, 09:42 PM
Last Post: chylledapps
  First breakdown Nathan1305 21 3,022 16-05-2015, 10:59 PM
Last Post: Nathan1305