Best Breakdown Cover

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Best Breakdown Cover
Hi All,

Ive posted this before but what break down cover does everyone have?

My AA renewal is on the 25th but ive cancelled the direct debit as renewal last year was almost £200! Absolute scam and they have called me 20 times now but ive rejected their calls as I dont wish to be sold all their extra crap.

Sam
Thanks given by:
Free with my bank. Greenflag.

Used couple times in the 10yrs of having it... Both times under an hour sorted me
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
I'm with RAC, got roadside and nationwide recovery for me in any car (even passenger). Only thing I don't have is home start as I shouldn't need it...

Complained about the renewal price last year via email and it dropped considerably, was about £50 after discount. This year the renewal is £65, may or may not see if they'll drop it.
Thanks given by:
I'm with the AA but every year I have to do the dance with them so I can get the renewal at a normal price which is just stupid.

Women on the phone was trying to tell me about all the benefits of membership (discounts and such at places), I cut her off halfway through to tell her I didn't care, don't use any of them. I wish they offered a simple service without any of that nonsense as I frankly don't give a shit, I just want to pay for someone to bring me home in the event I can't fix it.

EDIT: I will say though, we use RAC at work for the vans and the 3 times I've needed to use them they have arrived very quickly and been helpful. All the drivers have been friendly too.
Thanks given by:
I think I'll swap to RAC. Aa calls have just driven me nuts. Started a full month before renewal and called sometimes five times a day! Every time left a voice message of one second of silence.
Thanks given by:
I've been with the RAC for years. I have joint personal cover for me and Amber in any vehicle, full homestart/roadside/relay/onward travel etc & it's £14 a month for the both of us. I'm happy paying that and never had any issues.
Thanks given by:
Britannia Rescue through CSMA (or similar)

Much cheaper than AA or RAC and I can't fault the service I've received whenever I've had to call them - certainly much better than the horrors friends have had with the AA in particular. They also cover older cars Europe-wide if you select that cover level, which is again something that the AA/RAC wouldn't do (at the time at least, not checked whether that's changed)

Be careful with some of the "free" ones thrown in with bank accounts and the like, as they're normally quite limited in the cover they provide.
1990 Peugeot 205 GTi 1.9 // 1991 Peugeot 205 GTi 1.9 16v // 1992 Peugeot 205 GTi 1.9 // 1999 Peugeot 306 HDi Estate
Thanks given by:
I've read somewhere, might have been here, about a type of breakdown insurance you can buy? You have to pay for the recovery upfront yourself, but it'll get refunded to you later?
That any good?
Thanks given by:
RAC. personal cover with roadside rescue and recovery to anywhere in uk comes out as £99.98 :/
Thanks given by:
(20-04-2016, 12:17 PM)Eeyore Wrote: RAC. personal cover with roadside rescue and recovery to anywhere in uk comes out as £99.98 :/

you need www.topcashback.co.uk in your life! 

PM your email and  I'll send you a referral  email, both get a bonus that way

50% discount of AA/RAC prices
Thanks given by: Eeyore
Are you with top cash back? Should get some back through there. It's like insurance though, gets cheaper if you can phone up!

Beaten to it haha
Thanks given by:
just click the link people: http://www.topcashback.co.uk/ref/sheriffadam
Thanks given by:
(20-04-2016, 12:32 PM)tigerstyle Wrote: just click the link people: http://www.topcashback.co.uk/ref/sheriffadam

Just so you get your referrals hey Wink
Thanks given by:
(20-04-2016, 12:06 PM)tigerstyle Wrote: I've read somewhere, might have been here, about a type of breakdown insurance you can buy? You have to pay for the recovery upfront yourself, but it'll get refunded to you later?
That any good?

Yes, there's a few companies out there that operate that sort of scheme - Autoaid is one example and seems to be well regarded on another forum I frequent.

The only issue I can see with them is that you're out of pocket by a reasonable amount (typically £100-200 for a recovery) until they reimburse you, and I would have that nagging worry in the back of my head that they would try and wiggle out of any claim that they could on a technicality.
1990 Peugeot 205 GTi 1.9 // 1991 Peugeot 205 GTi 1.9 16v // 1992 Peugeot 205 GTi 1.9 // 1999 Peugeot 306 HDi Estate
Thanks given by:
Yeah topcashback is the way I do it every year. Which thanks to this thread has reminded me to check the dates
[Image: mcetg0.png]

ZR VVC Homebrew mapping project: http://306oc.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?tid=14360
Thanks given by:
AA, usually renew via a guy who gets sent around shopping centers / carboots etc as he does a "On the Day" deal which means you get roadside and relay covering you in any vehicle for 12 months for the sum of £50.

Have used it to purchase f--ked cars before (Zakk will confirm this).

Have used it to get MR_FISH back home safe and sound when he broke down 2 miles from my house.

Have never actually used it for genuinely breaking down but meh!

Can't fault the AA personally, wouldn't ever pay more than £60 though.

Oh and last time I took a policy out with them you got a £50 voucher for M&S, if you cancel it after a few days, then ring up and say I changed my mind I don't want to cancel it, you get sent another £50 voucher.

I think I've said enough now. ninja #PikeyLife
Supercharged GTi6 Build
S14 Zenki Build
[Image: signature.png]
Thanks given by:
With AA, epic service, recovered from Liverpool to Southampton without arguemrnt or hesitation
Given the choice between Niall and the sheep. I would choose the sheep!
/Toseland
Thanks given by:
(20-04-2016, 02:44 PM)silverzx Wrote: Have used it to get MR_FISH back home safe and sound when he broke down 2 miles from my house.

and I am eternally grateful for that evening.

poxy DMF  Dodgy
Thanks given by:
AA... RAC... alternate between the two every year. Always have every option ticked...and never use it. f*cking reliable Peugeot's
Thanks given by:
Can't fault AA been with them around 6 years. The head gasket went on my van in 2010 when I was in Scotland. No breakdown cover 230 miles from home. Joined AA that night stayed in a Premier Inn. Phoned them in morning got recovered home and got a courtesy car for 3 days. Absolute life saver driver in low loader even bought me a Burger King on his tacho break.
Thanks given by:
AA for me, yes renewal is a pain in the arse every year with the price but I've got roadside and relay for a very sensible amount.

They have always been blinding with me except when I tell them they won't fix something and the car is too low to go on the dolly so just to send a recovery truck and they insist on sending a van first.

They say they fix 90% of breakdowns but not in my experience, think they have fixed me once out of maybe 10 times of calling them although in fairness I fix 90% of my own breakdowns at the roadside without calling the AA
Thanks given by:
AA for me too, got a discount on it, with my dad been in since 1977. But that's cancelled out now! I have used it once and my dads used once too, in the last 3 years.
The RAC used to have a window screen company in sunderland, and I tell you what, the way they went on. I wouldn't touch anything to do with the RAC! I think the RAC binned off the window screen side of it, as I think it went into administration not long afterwards. As they tried to say I owned them cash! That's when things went sour!
Thanks given by:
Just because they put their name to a screen company doesn't mean the recovery service is bad... I'll shop at Halfords but won't ever be using Halfords Autocentre after 3 f*ck ups in a row from them! Confused
Thanks given by:
(21-04-2016, 05:08 AM)procta Wrote: AA for me too, got a discount on it, with my dad been in since 1977. But that's cancelled out now! I have used it once and my dads used once too, in the last 3 years.
The RAC used to have a window screen company in sunderland, and I tell you what, the way they went on. I wouldn't touch anything to do with the RAC!  I think the RAC binned off the window screen side of it, as I think it went into administration not long afterwards. As they tried to say I owned them cash! That's when things went sour!

RAC Auto Windscreens are now just Auto Windscreens, who last year bought out AA Auto windshields. Not just in Sunderland BTW.

I doubt they went into administration because you owed them cash though.

Wink
Thanks given by:
Some recovery companies have a car age limit (10 years is fairly normal - some maybe 15 ?)
I am with GEM who have absolutely no age limit on cars (many of GEM members have classic cars)
Thanks given by:
Never had trouble with my greenflag in the times I've used it.
Always taken me where I wana go or home
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
10 years would be pointless! 15 years might be right though...better check mine!
Thanks given by:
They have my registration so I doubt there is a problem. Mine is a 99.
Thanks given by:
(21-04-2016, 10:32 AM)bigcheez2k3 Wrote: They have my registration so I doubt there is a problem. Mine is a 99.

A lot of us have personal cover though, rather than car cover so they won't have a reg.
Thanks given by:
There's no age limit that I'm aware of with RAC, I've never ever been asked when calling to report a breakdown (They only ask make/model when you report it) and I've had some oldies recovered.

Taken from RAC website:

Can you provide breakdown cover a classic car?

Yes - for UK Breakdown Cover, there is no age limit on the vehicles we cover. Please bear in mind though - if your car is over 10 years old and you would like a vehicle-based breakdown cover, you must choose a higher level of vehicle cover than basic Roadside, such as:

Roadside and Recovery (Onward Travel optional)
Roadside and At Home
Roadside, Recovery and At Home
Roadside, Recovery, At Home and Onward Travel.
There is no car age limit if you are choosing personal-based breakdown cover.
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Breakdown Cover Toms306 14 4,536 03-06-2018, 08:21 AM
Last Post: Iceman299
  Breakdown Cover? JTaylor2005 44 6,934 17-03-2016, 04:32 PM
Last Post: JTaylor2005
  First breakdown Nathan1305 21 3,020 16-05-2015, 10:59 PM
Last Post: Nathan1305