scratches/keyyed

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
scratches/keyyed
If anyone has been to Spain, you will understand dints and scratches are the norm, and I've always liked 306s my mum had a TDI until it got wrote off, so when one popped up (only 38used cars listed on the island) I got it, but its keyyed and I added to that by scraping a dry stone wall avoiding the bin lorry on a blind bend, (doh) but a respray/wrap is out of the question I do not earn much, I will gladly attempt anything myself but I'm new to nearly all, I've painted badge and plastic is done was grey not black, but is there any way to get pretty bad key scratches out myself?
Thanks given by:
Depending how deep the scratch's are polishing/buffing out could be a option to make it less noticeable.

Get pictures up and people can advice more.
[Image: Cn91r40h.jpg] 
Astor 6 Fast road/track project
Thanks given by:
(19-02-2015, 12:14 AM)7057sam Wrote: Depending how deep the scratch's are polishing/buffing out could be a option to make it less noticeable.

[attachment=21719]

[attachment=21720 Wrote:Calpin pid='515533' dateline='1424350800']
(19-02-2015, 12:14 AM)7057sam Wrote: Depending how deep the scratch's are polishing/buffing out could be a option to make it less noticeable.

Thanks given by:
Use some 1000 grit wet and dry to gently flat the scratches then use some cutting compound to buff it back up.
Thanks given by:
(22-02-2015, 07:12 PM)306carter Wrote: Use some 1000 grit wet and dry to gently flat the scratches then use some cutting compound to buff it back up.

any specific products you would recommend? on some parts is through to the metal

(22-02-2015, 10:13 PM)Calpin Wrote:
(22-02-2015, 07:12 PM)306carter Wrote: Use some 1000 grit wet and dry to gently flat the scratches then use some cutting compound to buff it back up.

any specific products you would recommend? on some parts is through to the metal

ordered some blue t-cut and blue turtle wax colour restorer. sandpaper i can get in hardware store im sure.
Thanks given by:
er.... good luck with that. They look pretty deep!
Thanks given by:
(22-02-2015, 11:37 PM)Eeyore Wrote: er.... good luck with that. They look pretty deep!

I've got a top up paint pen ATM I will see how that goes, I'm not getting it resprayed or wrapped, someone will have scratched it in a weeks time.
Thanks given by:
Can you catch your finger nail in them?

And also id get a better polish than t cut, something like menzerna,meguiars,chemical guys etc
Thanks given by:
(25-02-2015, 03:28 AM)ConorTRG Wrote: Can you catch your finger nail in them?

And also id get a better polish than t cut, something like menzerna,meguiars,chemical guys etc

im just thinking on giving up on the idea of trying to fix them, seems a waste of money as its got a extra dint in the back passenger quarter now that wasnt there before i started work. no point of having a pre scratched car, ive been quoted 250euroes to fix all the scratches, by a customer that uses my bar.
Thanks given by:
That's knackered, nothing will polish them out. You may be able to fill them with a polish but it will still be noticeable and come back.

Just get a tin of Dulux & paint it!

[Image: af123875.jpg]
Thanks given by:
tbh if its in spain and its going to be continually ruined then i would be inclined to paint it. If you get just the scratches resprayed it looks like the colour is faded anyway. Have some fun and break the rollers out! Big Grin
Thanks given by:
(25-02-2015, 03:29 PM)Eeyore Wrote: tbh if its in spain and its going to be continually ruined then i would be inclined to paint it. If you get just the scratches resprayed it looks like the colour is faded anyway. Have some fun and break the rollers out! Big Grin

Hmmm dark purple?
Thanks given by:
Looks deep, you may have to touch it up with the pen.
You could try rubbing it down with 1000grit then compound it but make sure you.don't burn the paint or go to far with the buffer.
Thanks given by:
Could try this method

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h4SNN8PjdmQ

Don't know how well it would because I've never tried.
Thanks given by:
(28-02-2015, 07:58 PM)Spoonaltap Wrote: Could try this method

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h4SNN8PjdmQ

Don't know how well it would because I've never tried.

I watched that, a friend is a resprayer and panel beater I've given him paint code and is mixing me some up for free.
Thanks given by:
I had someone key the whole side of my VW once. Best DIY way to deal with it is this.
1. Go to an auto shop and get a paint pen, pot & brush etc with the correct paint match for your car. I'd avoid using an aerosol.
2. Clean the scratches with soap & water and leave to dry
3. Paint along the scratches. Don't be too fussy. But you want the paint to be raised above the level of the rest of the paint. Leave to dry over night.
4. Using T-Cut scratch remover or similar and using a circular polishing motion bring the paint level back down so everything is smooth.
5. Using a regular car polish go over the whole car (extra focus on the area you T-Cut to smooth it to a nice finish).
6. Job Done

I devised this technique on my VW and it really took a keen eye to spot there was ever a scratch. It probably won't work so well with metallic paint. But flat colours work really well.
Thanks given by:
(02-03-2015, 01:34 PM)Shawnobi Wrote: I had someone key the whole side of my VW once. Best DIY way to deal with it is this.
1. Go to an auto shop and get a paint pen, pot & brush etc with the correct paint match for your car. I'd avoid using an aerosol.
2. Clean the scratches with soap & water and leave to dry
3. Paint along the scratches. Don't be too fussy. But you want the paint to be raised above the level of the rest of the paint. Leave to dry over night.
4. Using T-Cut scratch remover or similar and using a circular polishing motion bring the paint level back down so everything is smooth.
5. Using a regular car polish go over the whole car (extra focus on the area you T-Cut to smooth it to a nice finish).
6. Job Done

I devised this technique on my VW and it really took a keen eye to spot there was ever a scratch. It probably won't work so well with metallic paint. But flat colours work really well.

Sounds a good plan, today was 1st day off in good weather since December, so I had a go but I'm waiting on the paint there is no place here that mixes paint, but friend who has painting/panel workshop is making me some.
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  windscreen scratches DeeTurbo 15 4,861 26-03-2013, 03:32 PM
Last Post: Kezzieboy