Black Rallye Ongoing Project

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Black Rallye Ongoing Project
Hi, not posted much over here for ages, sold my last 306 in 2012 and then bought this Rallye in July this year, much of this thread is copied from the Gti forum but thought its time I put it on here as well.

Quick bit of history, i've now had 5 306's and 9 Peugeot's in total. A mixture of TU's, XUD's and two XU7 306's.
After a two year break, the 306 thing started again on the 13th July when I made the fatal mistake of taking my 1.1 205 to Pugfest. By Wednesday night i'd seen a Rallye advertised on the gti forum and been over to Stoke and picked it up.
It needs bits doing and as such I got it for a fair price.
I'm going to use this thread as means of asking questions and keeping track of where I am with it, as well as hopefully entertaining you internetists.

It's a nice clean car with 114k and full service history. Cambelt done at 79k according to the book so it's ready for another belt. Has a Cat 1 Alarm which seems pretty good, it's decatted, has a foamy cone filter thing, 16" Comp MO5's, group N lower engine mount, quick shift selectors, black masks, Goodridge hoses and Bilstein struts on the back, 1 braided hose on the front and Koni's. Also apparently it has Skip Brown springs but all I can tell from looking at them is that they are lower than standard, I think 30-40mm.

A few phone pics on the way back from Stoke:

[Image: IMG_1286.jpg]

[Image: IMG_1276.jpg]

[Image: IMG_1264.jpg]

[Image: IMG_1261.jpg]

[Image: IMG_1270.jpg]

[Image: IMG_1274.jpg]

Another phone pic with my 205 (now For Sale) :no

[Image: IMG_1287.jpg]

The car desperately needed tracking as it was all over the place so the next day I got it on the ramps at a friends place and fitted two fresh track rod ends (lots of heat required to get bolts undone). Quickly got the tape measure out and 'tracked' it ourselves to get me to a garage - needless to say it was absolutely horrendous to drive! Tried four different places and didn't manage to get it done so it had to wait til next morning - during all of this I was stuck in traffic around town and the car was getting really hot... had to stop and let it cool and a nice man came and told me all about his Almera GTi which had 260bhp from the factory. Needless to say made a quick exit... Next morning came tracking

[Image: IMG_1297.jpg]

Car had two locking nuts on the back and no key so out came the lump hammer..

[Image: IMG_1344.jpg]

Just a nice pic...

[Image: IMG_0344.jpg]

Then over the last week or so i've not spent much time on it. Cleaned it a couple of times and managed half an hour of claying, removed the nurburgring sticker and fitted a new rad fan switch to somewhat cure the 'hotness'

[Image: IMG_0376.jpg]

Had chance to jack her up and have a look round today and make a to-do list.

[Image: IMG_0359.jpg]

[Image: IMG_0354.jpg]

Fifty shades of Hammerite... :lol

[Image: IMG_0364.jpg]

That'll be why the alarm siren doesn't work then!

[Image: IMG_0366.jpg]

Both outer joints need replacement

[Image: IMG_0370.jpg]

Surprise surprise, grinding, treating and undersealing to be done where it's been jacked up by chimps over the years
(not a great pic sorry)

[Image: IMG_0371.jpg]

The 'bay

[Image: IMG_0372.jpg]

Slow power steering leak

[Image: IMG_0374.jpg]

More work required on either side but doesn't look too bad

[Image: IMG_0375.jpg]

[Image: IMG_0378.jpg]

Beam refurbishment required and boot floor needs a good clean and paint. Pretty sure the load sensors are seized as the back end feels very twitchy under enthusiastic braking Big Grin

[Image: IMG_0382.jpg]

Exhaust is leaking and pretty horrible looking so need to find a stainless replacement!

[Image: IMG_0383.jpg]

scruffy bit of sound deadening with evidence of a subwoofer having been fitted. Wiring will be removed.

[Image: IMG_0380.jpg]

I have to say, this steering wheel makes for a brilliant drive but it looks fairly rancid so I could do with changing that as well!
Please excuse the muck I haven't touched the interior yet (it was quite clean when I bought it mind you)

[Image: IMG_0379.jpg]

Final pics for today, whilst the front wheels were off I gave them a good scrub inside and out and a polish and wax - rears still to do. Look so much better and i've grown to love the yellow but they will still be painted a more subtle colour

[Image: IMG_0387.jpg]

[Image: IMG_0388.jpg]

[Image: IMG_0389.jpg]

Not long after I had it, stripped the seats out as it was fairly grim and gave it a good clean

Before:

[Image: IMG_1530.jpg]

[Image: IMG_1532.jpg]

[Image: IMG_1531.jpg]

After:

[Image: IMG_0405.jpg]

[Image: IMG_0411.jpg]

[Image: IMG_0407.jpg]

Much nicer place to be!

Then it got a good claying and its first polish and wax, paintwork is still fairly rubbish but its getting better with time

[Image: IMG_1547.jpg]

[Image: IMG_1548.jpg]

[Image: IMG_1549.jpg]

[Image: IMG_1558.jpg]

Obviously it rained, hard! The day after haha

[Image: IMG_1567.jpg]

Took the brake calipers off one evening to paint them, realised the carrier pin was seized so put them back together before it got dark (without painting them because I was p**sed off haha)
Couple of days later went up to my mates workshop to 'unseize' it - snapped it... thanks to pug_306 for sending me a carrier as fast as he could! No pics apart from one of the car looking sorry for itself!

[Image: IMG_2091.jpg]

**WARNING** Rusty Rallye images ahead!!!!

Ok so got it on the ramps for a proper look! Seems the o/s outrigger has been done (badly) and the n/s isn't really there anymore. Whole underside needs tlc! Need to get it booked in for welding! Any very good fabricators recommended within Derbyshire and surrounding counties?

[Image: IMG_2234.jpg]

[Image: IMG_2237.jpg]

[Image: IMG_2238.jpg]

[Image: IMG_2240.jpg]

Picked some Cyclones up and decided I prefer them so the Comp's are for sale - need to get some pics of them but if anyone's interested send me a PM.

The Cherry is a friends very early Notts reg'd Dturbo which he picked up for £150 as a winter car - bargain! (and much less rusty than the Rallye!)

[Image: IMG_2296.jpg]

[Image: IMG_2297.jpg]

[Image: IMG_2428.jpg]

Couple of stragglers

New smoked side repeaters and an obligatory 'outside the dealer' shot

[Image: IMG_1981.jpg]

[Image: IMG_2036.jpg]

So, at the moment i'm looking for

[bullet] a good welder/fabricator
[bullet] a radiator (mines bent) so I can change the coolant ready for icy mornings - need to pick up a thermostat too
[bullet] once i've picked up a d/shaft seal I can do the full service as well which will put my mind at ease a bit (got the rest of the stuff)
[bullet] a cat-back full stainless desperately as this is dropping to bits!

also got some new fog blanks and paint ready to take the front end off, paint the bumper, paint the towing eye and rust proof and paint the inner wings, oh and give the engine bay a good clean!!

Getting there slowly Smile

To-Do List

Done:
Radiator Fan Switch
Track Rod Ends
Remove lockers
Buy Cyclones
New wiper blades
Headlight rear dust caps
Wind deflectors
Smoked side repeaters
Grease up front calipers
Thorough interior clean including removing old wiring

Not Done:
New top-mounts (n/s heavily cambered)
Lower front suspension to match rear
Locking wheel nuts
Paint wing mirror caps
Paint front bumper
New Rallye blank N/S - Bought
Paint towing eye black
Rear view mirror
Full service - Bought
Cambelt and tensioners
Weld, Rust treat and underseal under footwells
Rust treat and paint front end
Rebuild a rear beam
New alarm siren
O/S and N/S outer cv boots
Matching brake hoses on front
Paint brake calipers and grease up rears
New n/s driveshaft seal
New exhaust and radiator urgently!
Thermostat

WRONG SECTION SORRY PLEASE MOVE Angel
Thanks given by:
well that was a good read! have to say i dont like the yellow wheels but the cyclones look great! Big Grin

good work!
Thanks given by:
Enter the pic with the flowers in the calendar! Looks really tidy. Smile
306 HDi Deathtrap - 130bhp / 220lbft
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
Love it!

Sounds odd...but I LOVE the yellow compos!!
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
That is a lovely looking car!!
Team Eaton

1999 China Blue 306 GTi6 - Eaton Supercharged - 214.5bhp 181lbft
Thanks given by:
Love the M05's Smile
[Image: Cn91r40h.jpg] 
Astor 6 Fast road/track project
Thanks given by:
Ah I nearly bought this, in the end I bought an absolute heap! Hope your enjoying it mate
Thanks given by:
Shes much shinier than my rallye. I've got to wonder what it is with people fitting massive heavy stereos to rallyes as mine had amp wiring kits and components in int too.
Thanks given by:
Welcome! Me from over on the "other forum". Glad 2 see u here as well. That's four black rallyes now :-)
CLUB RALLYE
||AVO Race GTX Coilovers||Signature Blue Steels||P1 VTS Rack||Hybrid ARB||21mm Torsion Bar||rich_w Flywheel||
Thanks given by:
Thanks chaps, i've spent most of my time on it so far on the exterior (should really be sorting out the important stuff) but I do like it shiny!
I love the comps but also don't like the yellow, wanted to paint them graphite like the cyclones but it's more money and i'd rather spend it elsewhere!
It's more of a heap than I thought af1 but its manageable! I keep lusting after other cars but feel obliged to look after this now as I probably wont have a chance to have another one!

It's currently covered in winter shit already as I live in Derbyshire but will post updates as and when Smile
Black 306 Rallye
Topaz Blue E39 530i Sport
Nordic Green 406 1.9TD
Thanks given by:
Well if you dont like the yellow wheels...I'll swap you my cossack grey 206gti wheels Wink
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
Lovely looking car!! Looks a lot better on cyclones imo!
Thanks given by:
Haha thanks chaps!

Piggy PM me if you want them but no swaps lol

Got her on the ramps again today and stuck new downpipe to de-cat gasket and bolts/springs on so she's not quite so antisocial again now!

Also managed to bodge a clifford alarm speaker into my 'hornet' siren box so it makes a noise again but its about as loud as a fast moving slug so it's not going to scare anyone. Might need to invest in a new siren box.
Black 306 Rallye
Nordic Green 406 1.9TD
Thanks given by:
where do you get the M05's? as I am toying with the idea of getting some for my car.
Thanks given by:
They came with the car mate but as far as I know Compomotive are no longer making wheels/someone has bought the company and they will again at some point.

I assume you mean for the Metro but if you need Peugeot fitment ones let me know Wink
Black 306 Rallye
Nordic Green 406 1.9TD
Thanks given by:
Went to my first PSCUK meet yesterday at John Harrison Peugeot dealer in Lowdham, Notts

Had a good time, nice bunch of chaps - pretty much all 205 owners though from what I could gather - I was the only one reppin' the 306!

Quickly jet washed the motor on the way there but still looked crap as it was pissing it down (also the reason hardly any older cars turned up)

Anyway, took a few pics - the RCZ R is a beautiful car! Peugeot have really upped their game IMO.

[Image: IMG_0922.jpg]

[Image: IMG_0924.jpg]

[Image: IMG_0925.jpg]

[Image: IMG_0928.jpg]

and managed to blur the one with my car on... haha

[Image: IMG_0929.jpg]
Black 306 Rallye
Nordic Green 406 1.9TD
Thanks given by:
(06-11-2014, 08:35 PM)INXS Wrote: They came with the car mate but as far as I know Compomotive are no longer making wheels/someone has bought the company and they will again at some point.

I assume you mean for the Metro but if you need Peugeot fitment ones let me know Wink

Nah they would be for the 306, as I do like them. Just looking at other options for the 306.
they look the part on metros but very pricey, plus I would have to change to 14 inch wheels. even then its questionable if they will fit on the rear.
Thanks given by:
pm me a price on the comps Wink

car looks well Smile im slightly jealous
[Image: 17b33c2a-8471-4313-992e-0a4b324cf926_zps2e63812a.jpg]
Team Cyril
Thanks given by:
Thanks mate! I've seen it said loads on here but would be great to sort a black Rallye shoot!
Black 306 Rallye
Nordic Green 406 1.9TD
Thanks given by:
Lovely!

I'll be keeping an eye on this Smile
Current stable
'09 Mercedes E320cdi wagon 
'99 306 gti6
Thanks given by:
(10-11-2014, 02:04 PM)INXS Wrote: Thanks mate! I've seen it said loads on here but would be great to sort a black Rallye shoot!

I know me and Orta love a good black rallye shoot Big Grin

Unfortunately mines out of MOT now and is remaining that way untill i get round to sorting it out. doesnt need much but equally i need a holiday Tongue
Team Cyril
Thanks given by:
So, didn't get much done for a few weeks and then sorted loads of stuff over the last few days so feeling good. Constantly thinking 'I need a BMW' and my watch list is full of 530i Sport E39's but then I get on with the Rallye and the feeling subsides for a few more weeks. Can't justify having both and don't want to get rid of the Rallye so i'll just have to put up with it Tongue

Serviced the old girl a few weeks ago having built up a parts pile. Got Peugeot filters and Mobil oil so should be operating nicely now! Unfortunately after putting the NGK's in I knicked coil pack no.4 wire meaning she didn't want to go! I rougharse diagnosed it to be the fuel pump relay and as I found it hanging behind the battery box with a smashed casing I waited for a replacement (thanks to pug306). Whilst waiting I noticed the loom that i'd damaged and found it had been done before and simply twisted together and electrical taped back together!! Soldered it all back up and heatshrinked/weatherproofed appropriately. Was worried the solder might melt but it seems to be going ok at the moment. Tried it with the smashed up old relay and voila she started. New relay fitted now though anyway and bolted where it should be!
Pics of my damage/previous owners bodge

[Image: IMG_2897.jpg]

[Image: IMG_2898.jpg]

[Image: IMG_2899.jpg]

Arsing about pic
[Image: IMG_2932.jpg]

Shortly after, walker from the gti forum came over to have a look at my Comps and brought the Rallye-R of braymond fame - lovely motor!
First time since owning my Rallye it's been next to another Smile

Decided to finish the service yesterday and went to get a driveshaft seal ready for changing the gearbox oil! Suddenly remember the need for CV boots so got a couple of those as well! and another seal being as the shaft would be out anyway!

Nasty old boot and seal
[Image: IMG_2998.jpg]

[Image: IMG_2999.jpg]

This is an awkward daft design!

[Image: IMG_3004.jpg]

Progress pics and a time-lapse just for fun (and can put it in as part of my coursework - i'm back at college studying Auto Engineering)

[Image: IMG_3001.jpg]

[Image: IMG_3002.jpg]

[Image: IMG_3003.jpg]

**Can't seem to upload time-lapse**

Ash J (again from the gti forum) spotted an OMP stainless and very kindly sent me a heads up message on Wednesday so I quickly contacted the seller and it was delivered yesterday! Fitted it last night and very chuffed. Car now only has a backbox but is surprisingly reserved when milling about but lovely and raspy up the revs.. and it gets rid of the Jetex tailpipe which I really didnt like! Needs adjustment as it sticks out a bit too far and hangs to the left (was ok when I fitted it but then moved about a bit for some reason!)

[Image: IMG_3012.jpg]

[Image: IMG_3013.jpg]

[Image: IMG_3018.jpg]

[Image: IMG_3017.jpg]

[Image: IMG_3020.jpg]

Today decided to give the car a good clean, polish and wax. Ofcourse I was just finishing drying it and it pissed it down for 4 minutes (exactly long enough to soak the entire car) then dried up again. At this point I decided to clean the interior instead! Nice rainbow pic to finish off though Smile (crystals back in as masks need re-sealing)

[Image: IMG_3029.jpg]

Update to To-Do List

Done:

Radiator Fan Switch 

Track Rod Ends 

Remove lockers

Buy Cyclones

New wiper blades

Headlight rear dust caps

Wind deflectors

Smoked side repeaters

Grease up front calipers

Thorough interior clean including removing old wiring

Rear view mirror

Full service

O/S and N/S outer cv boots

New n/s driveshaft seal

New exhaust

Not Done:

New top-mounts (n/s heavily cambered)

Lower front suspension to match rear

Locking wheel nuts

Paint wing mirror caps

Paint front bumper

New Rallye blank N/S - Bought

Paint towing eye black
Cambelt and tensioners

Weld, Rust treat and underseal under footwells

Rust treat and paint front end 

Rebuild a rear beam

New alarm siren - done but too quiet!
Matching brake hoses on front

Paint brake calipers and grease up rears
New radiator urgently!

Thermostat
Black 306 Rallye
Nordic Green 406 1.9TD
Thanks given by:
Lovely motor matey, good work, I'm slightly jealous of the workshop you get to work in tho! Lol with I had one for my project, light and heat i would be in there every evening! My garage is 20 meters from my house down steps and cold and dark! Lol.
Thanks given by:
Looks to be coming on well! once christmas is out of the way and my saxo is finished i shall be cracking on with my rallye Big Grin
Team Cyril
Thanks given by:
It does make things loads easier mate! Much more willing to work on my car in the warm and dry!!

Looking forward to the updates matt!

Slapped a jubilee on the CV boot today as the stupid clip had come off and pissed grease everywhere. Also adjusted my crystals so they aren't pointing at the floor anymore and gave the whole underside a good spray down with brake cleaner so I can see if it's leaking anywhere! Also chopped a bit off the centre pipe sleeve so the exhaust sits flush with the back of the car and properly fitted some decent clamps so it's all good now. Had a productive car afternoon!
Black 306 Rallye
Nordic Green 406 1.9TD
Thanks given by:
I'd sort that wiring loom asap! Don't want that catching fire
Thanks given by:
It was sorted just after the pics were taken mate!
Black 306 Rallye
Nordic Green 406 1.9TD
Thanks given by:
Looks great

How you getting on with the jetex? Personally one of my favourite systems for built quality and noise.
[Image: Cn91r40h.jpg] 
Astor 6 Fast road/track project
Thanks given by:
You need to update this mate :p. Good write up so far though. Glad you got rid of the comps. Or should have just painted them. Yellow was such a bad idea lol.
Thanks given by:
only just found this thread. I love the grey cyclones Maybe my rallye will look okay with my shadow chrome ones.

[Image: IMG_2296.jpg]
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  SRowells Black Rallye Eeyore 736 221,573 22-05-2020, 10:11 AM
Last Post: Mighty306
  306 rallye trackday project twangy 383 178,987 19-03-2020, 05:12 PM
Last Post: Eeyore
  Boring Black Rallye wainwrightj 57 19,840 06-02-2018, 03:38 PM
Last Post: Mighty306