Bens bosch conversion dont use the wrong key!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bens bosch conversion dont use the wrong key!
Ok will do that when I get in from work tomorrow
Quote:(15:06:27) Toms306: Wd40d it and had a good tug, came straight off

[Image: attachment.php?aid=5522]

Thanks given by:
ginge191 Wrote:Mark - what do you mean by running too "advanced" ??
Advance or retard the pump by rocking it forward or back
[Image: IMG_20130925_181339_zps95df48fa.jpg]
Thanks given by:
4WayDiablo Wrote:
Advance or retard the pump by rocking it forward or back

i don't understand :| how can you rock the pump forwards or backwards - it's bolted down?
Diablo Hdi Dturbo and 205 1.9 project - it lives!
Thanks given by:
ginge191 Wrote:
4WayDiablo Wrote:Advance or retard the pump by rocking it forward or back

i don't understand :| how can you rock the pump forwards or backwards - it's bolted down?

Slacken the bolts yo
Captain Standard

Thanks given by:
4WayDiablo Wrote:Advance or retard the pump by rocking it forward or back

This ^^ the mounting points where the studs go through the pump are slots so you can slacken them and rotate the pump body on its axis thus advancing or retarding the timing of the injection by nearly a tooth of the belt Smile

In my experience roughly 3/4 advanced is usually pretty much where the bosch needs to be.
Team Orange Engine Bay

My flickr photostream - http://www.flickr.com/photos/markairey
Thanks given by:
12 degrees on the cam and pump.... thats where the powers at boys!!
[Image: 22f2b6b2-758b-4c1c-96fb-6fa9c6059b13_zpsf306b56b.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Ohhh i seee! how do you measure 12degrees and from where?!
Thanks given by:
This was taken last night, it had been idling for about 1 min when i took this. it has got much better but is still smoking.

[Image: IMG_0567.jpg]

Thanks given by:
Yep, looks like retardation smoke to me lol This is my friend Bens car after fitting the pump and letting it run retarded for about 2 minutes....

[Image: IMG-20110905-00533.jpg]

[Image: IMG-20110905-00536.jpg]

[Image: IMG-20110905-00537.jpg]

[Image: IMG-20110905-00535.jpg]
Thanks given by:
hahaha yep seems like its that! going to tripple check the timing if its not a tooth out.

ok some more detail as i can type it rather then use the iphone.

accourding the guy i bought it off its just had a gov mod done.

it idles at about 950-1000 but thats with some adjustment.

when it is idling you can here it searching as it goes up and down by about 50 rpm.

when i give it some beans it coals like a tractor.

i went for a test drive round the block and it had no ooph at all. you can hear the turbo spooling but it seemed it wasnt doing enough.
i had my foot hard to the floor in 2nd and it just didnt like it.

Thanks given by:
Ben Jay Wrote:hahaha yep seems like its that! going to tripple check the timing if its not a tooth out.

when it is idling you can here it searching as it goes up and down by about 50 rpm.

i went for a test drive round the block and it had no ooph at all. you can hear the turbo spooling but it seemed it wasnt doing enough.

It won't be a tooth out, for the last time before I stop trying to help you, how advanced is the pump on the mounting slots?

Because all it needs is advancing a few mm if that IMO which will take you about 2 mins..................
Team Orange Engine Bay

Thanks given by:
mark_airey Wrote:
Ben Jay Wrote:hahaha yep seems like its that! going to tripple check the timing if its not a tooth out.

It won't be a tooth out, for the last time before I stop trying to help you, how advanced is the pump on the mounting slots?

i havnt had a chance to measure it! i will when i get back from work.

Thanks given by:
Who did you buy it off?

And about it being retarded, the timing on the belt/pulley is probably okay, it just needs to be adjusted by undoing the 3 bolts on the left that hold the pump to the pump bracket and the one bolt bottom right (under the injector lines) then moving the top of the pump towards the back of the engine bay. Then obviously re-tighten the bolts.... Smile
Thanks given by:
Ben Jay Wrote:i havnt had a chance to measure it! i will when i get back from work.

Measure what?? just open the bonet and look, is it in the middle, tilted forward or tilted back?? how far does the LDA sit from the top mount??
Team Orange Engine Bay

Thanks given by:
again i will have to check when i get in. my friend was moving the pump whilst i checked the ammount of smoke that was coming out.

Thanks given by:
I'm going to put my bets on it being a tooth out still....

The fact it doesn't rev and is slow to respond is typical of it being a tooth out. It's so easy to do on these engines.
(16-05-2016, 10:45 AM)Toms306 Wrote: Oh I don't care about the stripped threads lol, that's easily solved by hammering the bolt in. Wink
Nanstone GTD5 GT17S - XUD9TE
Volvo V50 D5 R-Design SE Sport - Daily cruise wagon.
Thanks given by:
Ruan Wrote:I'm going to put my bets on it being a tooth out still....

The fact it doesn't rev and is slow to respond is typical of it being a tooth out. It's so easy to do on these engines.

i think im going to have to go with you on this.

we were moving the pump back and forth and it wasnt making much of a difference with the ammount of smoke.

what other symptoms of a tooth out are there?

Thanks given by:
The pump being out of time would have exactly the same effect though would it not Ruan?? I know 5mm of movement makes the difference between it running perfect and being an absolute bastard to start............

Ben Jay Wrote:again i will have to check when i get in. my friend was moving the pump whilst i checked the ammount of smoke that was coming out.

Seriously, you need to provide more information if you want help, we know pretty much nothing about how anything is setup even with pages of posts asking questions, if you don't fancy answering people you just ignore them, everyone is trying to help you here but we aren't mind readers!

Was your "mate" just randomly moving the pump?? and by how much? because a few mm makes a massive difference and you have around 20mm of adjustment (maybe slightly less its early) and if he was just mashing it around it will make no difference at all Smile
Team Orange Engine Bay

Thanks given by:
he was moving it by small incriments at a time by pushing it backwards.

im not 100% sure what info you need on the set up.
im just getting some more info from the seller on how much the gov was modded but he says nothing else was changed.

Thanks given by:
You will likely need to loosen the injector lines off (at the pump end, not injectors) half a turn on each, then adjust the advance, then re-tighten them.

Its possible to adjust the advance a few mm without slackening them, but you are trying to adjust the timing massively, from fully retarded to fully advanced, then they will stop if moving all the way. So slacken them off, adjust is more advanced then re-tighten them
Thanks given by:
All I see is 7 pages of fail. How has this not been sorted yet? Reading through this whole thread I think even I could fit a pump now haha
[Image: 20A1806D-891D-40FB-BD52-AD519177A607-734...391753.jpg]
TEAM CONROD SHITTING RALLYE!
Thanks given by:
i only have 5 pages Tongue

at least its a detailed explination on how NOT to do it!

Thanks given by:
Who did you buy the pump off?
Thanks given by:
a guy called lee curvis. i think he was on the .net forum but it was through the fb group if you go to the 15th of march on their facebook page you can see his ad.

Thanks given by:
Matt Wrote:All I see is 7 pages of fail. How has this not been sorted yet? Reading through this whole thread I think even I could fit a pump now haha

^^ this, its pages and pages of people trying to guess what is wrong with a car based on as little information as the OP can possibly give us lmao up to now we have worked out that its a 306 and that its diesel and that there is some sort of problem with it, beyond that its all a mystery................
Team Orange Engine Bay

Thanks given by:
mark_airey Wrote:
Matt Wrote:All I see is 7 pages of fail. How has this not been sorted yet? Reading through this whole thread I think even I could fit a pump now haha

^^ this, its pages and pages of people trying to guess what is wrong with a car based on as little information as the OP can possibly give us lmao up to now we have worked out that its a 306 and that its diesel and that there is some sort of problem with it, beyond that its all a mystery................

what info do you need?

Thanks given by:
Ben Jay Wrote:what info do you need?

Everything that has been asked so far.............

You don't give any information unless your asked 5 times for it and even then you seem reluctant to give the information,

For example, your latest request for help instead of this..........

Ben Jay Wrote:success it runs.

however now it has no oomph had my foot flat and nothing seemed to happen.

and ideas?

It could have read............
"OK it now runs, the problem was ___________, but now I seem to have a lot of thick white/grey smoke at idle and while driving which never seems to clear. The engine also appears to be down on power almost as if the turbo isn't spooling up. I don't know if it is or not though as I don't currently have a boost gauge fitted,

I have already tried altering the pump timing in small increments with no noticeable effect on the running of the car, we have also tried ____ & ____ but with no joy"

and by doing so you have instantly reduced the question asking by at least a page because we now have some sort of idea about the problem and things you have tried see what i'm saying? I'm not having a go, you just need to help us to help you instead of waiting for someone to ask something before telling us that you have done it already............... Smile
Team Orange Engine Bay

Thanks given by:
Fit a boost gauge Big Grin
Captain Standard

Thanks given by:
Toby Wrote:Fit a boost gauge Big Grin

he doesnt have one fitted..... ?!?! :|

Doh
Thanks given by:
ahhh ok fair enough. I will up date tonight once i have double checked the timing. i want to rule that out first as its the most "In depth" job.

I will also upload a couple of videos too

ive not got round to fitting it yet! going to pop to halfords and pick up some more washer bits and bobs as i dont htink the tube i have is a good diameter.

Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Lucas to Bosch Conversion Phase 2 306 DTurbo FrostyHDI 2 1,719 01-12-2015, 02:43 PM
Last Post: Dave
  Bosch pump conversion problems Farmer-Glen 16 3,642 16-09-2014, 07:08 PM
Last Post: Farmer-Glen
  Bosch conversion nightmare sammyb303 11 2,607 04-09-2014, 08:04 PM
Last Post: Chris_90