Tapping worse than a 6

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Tapping worse than a 6
First encounter with an xud (1.9 nad) and its already had an issue lol when it's running there's a hell of a tapping noise that speeds up with revs

It was running fine parked up and came back to it bout 10 minutes later and noticed it then

Had a look under the bonnet it's got plenty of oil, if anything maybe too much (it's over the max)

Doesn't sound to me like its bottom end but I may be wrong sounds towards the top around the fuel pump/drivers side injectors but I can't be sure

Found this on YouTube which sounds exactly the same but afaik mine isn't smoking at all
http://youtu.be/oOd1kT0H7uQ

Anyone shed any light on it? It's only done about 35 miles before this started

Engine is on 123k I think
Thanks given by:
FFuuuuuuuu.

that's the knock of a big end.

could be diesel knock, but not the one in the vid.
Thanks given by:
The one in the vid is scrap as welsh pug said that's engine knock

Best getting a video up of your actual car
[Image: image_zps45f2003b.jpg]

Team Doesn't own a 306
Thanks given by:
Does it go away with your foot on the clutch?
Doesnt even own a 306.
Thanks given by:
It does tom but if you rev it with clutch in it does the same so think it just gets quiter
Thanks given by:
It could well be a combination of problems. When was the fuel filter last done? The pumps make a shit knocking clacking noise when they starve a bit. And then some gearbox make a horrid tapping type sound when they die. So it could be on its last legs.

Edit: But if it sounds like that video its shot.
Doesnt even own a 306.
Thanks given by:
Will try and get a vid later on when I'm home tbh I only bought it yesterday so no idea when the filter was last done lol did run it on the fuel light for a bit last night but it wasn't tapping after I put diesel in only later on after about 15 miles
Thanks given by:
If it's done it from startup, sounds like the belt has slipped a tooth and you've bent a valve.

Bottom ends don't wear out in less than a minute unless you've no oil pressure.

If the noise is only when the engine is cold, it could be a sticking valve, and the "tapping" is air getting past the valve or the piston hitting it.
A moments silence please, for our brothers in the NAD-zone.
Thanks given by:
That sounds normal to me...
Thanks given by:
Big end gone by the sound of it
Thanks given by:
Defiantly sounds like a big end!!!!
Thanks given by:
Yeah, definitely a f*cked big end.

Has it been driven through a puddle?! I'll bet you it's snorted up some water, buckled a rod which has in turn f*cked a big end.
(16-05-2016, 10:45 AM)Toms306 Wrote: Oh I don't care about the stripped threads lol, that's easily solved by hammering the bolt in. Wink
Nanstone GTD5 GT17S - XUD9TE
Volvo V50 D5 R-Design SE Sport - Daily cruise wagon.
Thanks given by:
I still say check the timing before whipping the sump off.
Thanks given by:
Well I may as well shine some light on this. Basically long story but Tom ended up buying this off me as he needed a cheap car. I brought the car and done a few bits on it that needed doing which did include cam belt and then was looking to sell it on and tom was after a cheap car so I offered it to him and he come and looked at it and was happy with it so he brought it.

As far as I was aware there was nothing wrong with the car. I'm not the sort to sell a f*cked car especially to a mate!

So now onto the issue with the engine. I have said that I will come and have a look and try and sort out the problem. It was fine so I'm not sure what has happened but as said poss cam belt slipped a tooth but can't really see way. As someone said have you driven it though any water? The car had been stood up for about a month but can't see that causing any problem. In my opinion it doesn't really help putting up a video of not even the engine/car in question.

This is part of the reason I text you saying I wasn't that happy with you putting it about it on here especially before I have had chance to look at it. Reason bring is you get replies like 'bottom end is f*ucked' I know you haven't said that you brought it off me but I don't really worry people knowing that.

Sorry about the rant and I ain't having a go at you tom but I know you are a bit pissed off with only having it a day and you got problems. It just annoys me seeing the replies when the whole story is not known. I will try and pop over tomorrow after work and have a look. Will text you tomorrow about coming to have a look
Thanks given by:
The one in the video just to add is 100% big end death, but get a video up of your actual car, if it's just tapping it could just be a sticking valve or timing slipped, which seeing as it happened at idle is far more likely than a shot big end, especially with Frosty saying it's been parked up.

I don't think anyone would accuse you of anything Frosty. At the end of the day if it wasn't making that racket when you sold it how could you know it would? Worn rings can be hid with some stop smoke but you can't hide a knackered big end!
[Image: tapatalk_1427020983519_zpsnwvozlhb.jpeg]
Thanks given by:
It just annoyed me seeing the replies saying big end gone etc. No ones fault cause people are only trying to help out with the problem and Tom is just trying to find out what's wrong.

The way I see it is need to have a look to try and find out the problem.

Just annoying when I sell a car to try and make a few quid and try to help a mate out who is after a cheap car
Thanks given by:
It may just be an excuse to chuck a turbo lump in Wink

Nah I'd bet money on slipped belt myself.
Thanks given by:
(05-01-2014, 07:10 PM)Frosty Wrote: It just annoyed me seeing the replies saying big end gone etc.

That's because everyone watched the vid and ignored the words.... lol
Thanks given by:
(05-01-2014, 07:14 PM)THE_Liam Wrote: It may just be an excuse to chuck a turbo lump in Wink

Any reason why a belt would just slip though?
Thanks given by:
injector or hydrolic follower ?
Thanks given by:
(05-01-2014, 07:21 PM)Frosty Wrote:
(05-01-2014, 07:14 PM)THE_Liam Wrote: It may just be an excuse to chuck a turbo lump in Wink

Any reason why a belt would just slip though?

Yeah a few, can be that it was stretched on between 2 pulleys, something could've got caught in it, pulley could have come loose and wobbled, tensioner could have slipped. Happened on my sigma DT, re-timed it and it was pretty much fine except slightly tappier at the top, think there might have been a slightly bent valve. Still ran though Wink
Thanks given by:
Right sorry again Matt for posting this didnt think about how it come across, tbh I was just trying to get some info / ideas to help asap but maybe should have waited a bit and given you a chance, obviously I'm not holding it against you bud as I know your not the type to try and do someone over

Video of the car here : http://youtu.be/FXOdyNSkVmg
And
http://youtu.be/gBccAJ8E5Ag

Doesn't stand out quite as much on those as it does in person though
Thanks given by:
That's ok Tom. I wasn't annoyed at one really just pissed off the car had gone wrong. Im not sure what it could be. Maybe timing but interesting to see what others say after watching these videos. Cheers for posting the videos
Thanks given by:
Im betting its either pump timing or air in the fuel
Thanks given by:
That sounds EXACTLY like a piston hitting a valve. Rofl

doesn't sound like incorrect pump timing, I've had mine way too advanced before and it knocks on all 4, this is obviously a problem with one cylinder.

Unless you have a leaky injector, and the diesel down the bore is preigniting on one cylinder?
Thanks given by:
Oh no that does sound pretty bad, any smoke out the back when its doing that? Down on power? What little it has lol
Doesnt even own a 306.
Thanks given by:
Sorry to say - it wouldn't run anything like that if the cam timing was a tooth out - they barely want to start, like BARELY and they lump all over the place when idling.

To me that's almost definitely a big end fault - what it's caused by is the question, is that due to it snorting water or HG failure pushing water into engine and causing hydrolock damage, or is it the typical XUD rod buckling/failing due to poor manufacture.
(16-05-2016, 10:45 AM)Toms306 Wrote: Oh I don't care about the stripped threads lol, that's easily solved by hammering the bolt in. Wink
Nanstone GTD5 GT17S - XUD9TE
Volvo V50 D5 R-Design SE Sport - Daily cruise wagon.
Thanks given by:
So it seems that I have just as much luck as usual Sad
Thanks given by:
(05-01-2014, 10:18 PM)Ruan Wrote: Sorry to say - it wouldn't run anything like that if the cam timing was a tooth out - they barely want to start, like BARELY and they lump all over the place when idling.

To me that's almost definitely a big end fault - what it's caused by is the question, is that due to it snorting water or HG failure pushing water into engine and causing hydrolock damage, or is it the typical XUD rod buckling/failing due to poor manufacture.

Is that actually true? lol

And that engine is jumping about all voer the place if you look carefully? :O
Thanks given by:
Right then I will update this with whats happened just incase some people are interested. I went and had a look at the car and it did sound pretty bad but it didn't sound like bottom end. I drove it stay up to my mates farm and the following night we checked the time and that was spot on. Then check and change the injectors and that made no difference so basically we ended up putting an engine it in.

I finally got round this week to stripping the end down to try and see if I could find the issue. So I got the head off and the first thing I noticed was that 1 of the pistons was a noticeable amount cleaner than the other 3

[Image: F995298C-3D85-4A26-9C5A-71F969A6700F_zpsndtoeph6.jpg]

[Image: 606A2536-EC7D-48BE-AA90-7E61F12B401A_zpsxero1olj.jpg]

So I was pretty sure that was something to do with the problem. I then had more of a look last night and when piston 2 and 3 are up and I rock the flywheel the 'dirty' piston moves but the 'clean' 1 doesn't till you move it a bit more so im pretty sure a small end has gone. Heres a video to try and show it

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nPoTKCqyoTQ
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Tapping into boost pipes ginge191 7 2,129 06-09-2016, 11:40 PM
Last Post: toseland
  Headgasket help/ Engine rebuilding Q's/Bad to f*cking worse. Tom 49 8,840 11-07-2013, 03:43 PM
Last Post: Tom
  tapping into ally xantia manifold? Jimbo 6 2,310 30-06-2013, 04:50 PM
Last Post: Jimbo