RetroPug's Ph.1 Diablo Gti-6

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
RetroPug's Ph.1 Diablo Gti-6
our minds work in similar ways when it comes to engine dressing haha, thats exactly what ill be doing to mine, fresh silver inlet with cherry red detail Smile
Current stable
'09 Mercedes E320cdi wagon 
'99 306 gti6
Thanks given by:
In case you want the specific colour it is halfords' toolbox red. Shame it got ruined. Sad

Love a good, shiny engine!
This post is an artistic work of fiction and falsehood. Only a fool would take anything posted above as fact.

62k Diablo Phase 1 Gti-6:
Project Thread
Thanks given by:
All running again, ready to go and be MOT'd.
I also got some very rare Ph.1 headlight protectors in the post but unfortunately Royal Fail have snapped one in half!

Some nice flocked dash bits are also fitted.
This post is an artistic work of fiction and falsehood. Only a fool would take anything posted above as fact.

Project Thread
Thanks given by:
I got offered a set of OEM foglight covers on Pistonheads if you want them?
Thanks given by:
Thanks. I've got Cibie ones on at the moment and I rather like them.
I didn't realise that there were OEM foglight covers for Ph.1 cars.

Are they going cheaply?

Project Thread
Thanks given by:
Gave the car a wash and wax ready to be MOT'd tomorrow. Also sorted the airbag light coming on due to the horrendous phase 1 connectors.

[Image: 10qcjg0.jpg]

[Image: mcxco3.jpg]

[Image: 2n01pip.jpg]

[Image: 10p3c5x.jpg]

I also prepped and painted my spare exhaust heatshield ready to go on the car.

Before, from a previous post in this thread:
[Image: 28c3hgw.jpg]

After:
[Image: 2hd3dsm.jpg]

Project Thread
Thanks given by:
There can't be much left to spruce up on this the rate you're going. lol
306 HDi Deathtrap - 130bhp / 220lbft
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
Another year of MOT:

[Image: 2zphw9c.jpg]

(30-07-2014, 06:12 PM)Poodle Wrote: There can't be much left to spruce up on this the rate you're going. lol
There's either loads left to do or I have OCD.... lmao I've got to paint the other heatshield for a start!
There's so much I'd be cracking on with if this wasn't a daily driver.

Sadly the engine bay is back to looking drab as the painted manifold turned out to be warped.

Project Thread
Thanks given by:
These are what the dudes selling:

[Image: apHUI3C8.jpg]

Think he was after ~£30, me being a tight Northener.....I declined.
Thanks given by:
(30-07-2014, 06:42 PM)RetroPug Wrote: There's either loads left to do or I have OCD.... lmao

I think it may be the latter... Wink.

It looks really tidy though. Nice one on the MOT, too.
Thanks given by:
(30-07-2014, 09:09 PM)gretsch-drummer Wrote: Think he was after ~£30, me being a tight Northener.....I declined.
Ahh, I saw those on ebay since you mentioned them.
I think I'll stick with the Cibies for now as I rather like them!

(30-07-2014, 09:18 PM)Curt Wrote: I think it may be the latter... Wink.

It looks really tidy though. Nice one on the MOT, too.
lmao

I really like your old(?) gti-6, especially on the pro race 3s, I wanted a white set of those as well but my wallet had other ideas!

Project Thread
Thanks given by:
Yeah I do miss the old girl, would be buying it back if it were at all possible... They came up on eBay in as new condition, with tyres, for a fraction of the new price and I couldn't refuse lol. They do suit phase 1s really well!
Thanks given by:
(30-07-2014, 10:58 PM)Curt Wrote: Yeah I do miss the old girl, would be buying it back if it were at all possible... They came up on eBay in as new condition, with tyres, for a fraction of the new price and I couldn't refuse lol. They do suit phase 1s really well!

I'll have to keep my eyes open!

I love driving this car...always a good time.

Project Thread
Thanks given by:
Lacquer peel on the bootlid is gone, replaced the tailgate. The car also has an SP-Pack spoiler now with a working 3rd brake light.

Got quoted 250 to sort the lacquer peel around the sunroof (full roof respray) which is a bit too much for me!

Project Thread
Thanks given by:
Currently away but the rear end looked like this just before I left:
[Image: 23t4ily.jpg]

No more tailgate cquer peel. Smile

Will take pictures of the OEM mountings when I get back in case anybody is interested.

Project Thread
Thanks given by:
ahhhhh perfection
Current stable
'99 306 gti6
Thanks given by:
that's come on really well! Did you sort out the leaks? as I remember on my Phase 1 Dturbo, mine would leak like hell, I thought it was the sun roof, and ariel but it wasn't, it turned out that I had a hole behind the window screen, so if it happens again, get them to whip the front window screen and check behind.
Thanks given by:
Thanks. Smile

It is no longer leaking. Smile The seals on the rear lights were rock hard, vaseline softened them right up, the rear window seals weren't really seated well and the boot one wasn't great either. The sunroof never did unblock one of the drain pipes no matter how much compressed air I put down it.

Not sure what to do about it, but it hasn't leaked for ages either.

Project Thread
Thanks given by:
Got back from being on holiday last night. Went for a drive this morning and reaffirmed how much I love this car.
Spent a fair bit of today debadging a grille and sanding it all down, removing all the stonechips etc.

[Image: 2z586f5.jpg]

Project Thread
Thanks given by:
Coming along well buddy Smile
Thanks given by:
Thanks. Smile

I really just wanted to have a go at doing this as I've never done any bodywork and this was a good beginner project.
Anyway, I finished it:

[Image: im2cee.jpg]

[Image: 2z5k8e9.jpg]

[Image: 2ywgztf.jpg]

I'm not very happy with the paint finish, but for a first time go at bodywork & done in a day it was alright. I can always sand it back down and repaint it in the future.
I enjoyed making it though, which is the main thing. Smile

Project Thread
Thanks given by:
Experience is important, you get better each time. I'd certainly make a hash of most of the jobs you've done!

Will certainly look interesting, a de badged phase 1!
Thanks given by:
Looks good, although I was never a fan or the de-badged grill I had one my old DT, and put a standard one on instead. Paint doesn't look too bad to me... Let it harden and then get some 1500/2000 grit on it and some compound. It'll probably come up well!
Thanks given by:
There's one in this thread:
http://306oc.co.uk/forum/thread-11928.html
I do still have the standard one, haven't put this on yet, might end up hating it anyway!

I make a hash of most things as well, I just upload the photo of it fixed at the end after I've lost my patience and used a mallet and make it seem like it was easy. lmao

Project Thread
Thanks given by:
Unlike most people i think I actually prefer the de badge on the p1 to the p2
Thanks given by:
Fitted. I can't decide whether I like it or not. In any case, the paint-matching isn't good at all, even using red primer as directed, I've had better results in the past with grey.

[Image: oszytl.jpg]

[Image: of39rm.jpg]

[Image: 33ym5c1.jpg]

Project Thread
Thanks given by:
I like it, but it does look a touch bland.
Thanks given by:
I like it. But then I've always debadged my cars where possible/easy.

Shame about the colour match. But I guess that's the difficulty with aged paint.

I like it. But then I've always debadged my cars where possible/easy.

Shame about the colour match. But I guess that's the difficulty with aged paint.
Thanks given by:
I much prefer ph1 with the badge tbh, they're such a handsome car with that front end.

debadge grills always look like the cars in insurance ads, looks like you're trying to avoid paying the copyright haha
Current stable
'99 306 gti6
Thanks given by:
I know what you mean about cars in adverts, I did think that as well. It does look a bit empty and it definitely does look good with the badge, still undecided on this! Still got the original grille in the garage and it is a 2 minute swap. Smile

You can see the bad match in the 3rd picture a bit, the problem isn't aged paint: paint lightens with age due to UV exposure, the grille is a shade too light, whenever I have used grey primer in the past the match has been good and the paint has come out dark, metallic red, but this time I used red as instructed and it is too light.

I might just go back to halfords, explain the primer differences and that in the past the match has been great but this time it was off, and see if they'll give me some more paint and primer. I did everything as instructed with their red primer. Typically if you complain they just replace things without giving you any hassle.

Project Thread
Thanks given by: