D turbo strange noise

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
D turbo strange noise
As some of you may have seen in my project thread I have got a strange noise coming from my car when I pull away. It doesn't do it all the time but is a lot worse when under load ie on hills. I have spoke to a few people about this already and think it is clutch related. It has a cg unsprung paddle clutch fitted. I have been trying to slip it a bit over the week to try and make it bed in a bit but it still seems to do it. The clutch has been on for about 1000 miles and only started doing it over the last couple of weeks.

Im not 100% sure its the clutch but I think it is. Just wondering if anyone has had this problem or got any forts on would it could be or how to sort it?

Heres a video of the noise

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pDIj225z6e8
Thanks given by:
If it was clutch related if have expected it to do it reverse too can't really hear it just sounds like an echo on my phone. Metallic sound?
Perv 106 1.4 xs First Pug Love - Scrapped
Perv 306 1.6 5 Door Hore - Sold
110bhp 207 Hdi Sport - Used as a Brake
173bhp T25 Ph1 Diablo Dturbo - Scrapped
Thirsty Bitch Volvo 850 Estate - Sold
51bhp Berlingo Nad DT Van - Sold
Slow as f*ck Dispatch Work Horse

www.prestige-auto-care.co.uk
Thanks given by:
Does it do it on hill starts?

It almost sounds like a vibration.
Doesnt even own a 306.
Thanks given by:
I've clutch judder in 2nd
Thanks given by:
(14-11-2013, 10:33 PM)Jenkosowls Wrote: If it was clutch related if have expected it to do it reverse too can't really hear it just sounds like an echo on my phone. Metallic sound?

I does do it in reverse but just not in the video but it doesn't always make the noise

(14-11-2013, 10:50 PM)Tom Wrote: Does it do it on hill starts?

It almost sounds like a vibration.

Yeah it does but not all the time. Its kind of pot luck when it does it. It does do it more often than not though.

The video doesn't really do the noise justice. In person its sound pretty bad

(14-11-2013, 10:52 PM)Tyronnster Wrote: I've clutch judder in 2nd

It doesn't judder. Its just the noise from pulling away in 1st or reverse
Thanks given by:
The splined collar could be becoming defective to the rest of the clutch plate I'v seen it happen before through lots of torque
Perv 106 1.4 xs First Pug Love - Scrapped
Perv 306 1.6 5 Door Hore - Sold
110bhp 207 Hdi Sport - Used as a Brake
173bhp T25 Ph1 Diablo Dturbo - Scrapped
Thirsty Bitch Volvo 850 Estate - Sold
51bhp Berlingo Nad DT Van - Sold
Slow as f*ck Dispatch Work Horse

www.prestige-auto-care.co.uk
Thanks given by:
(15-11-2013, 12:55 AM)Jenkosowls Wrote: The splined collar could be becoming defective to the rest of the clutch plate I'v seen it happen before through lots of torque

I can't imagine I have massive about if torque compared to the likes of Darren that runs fair power and next has this noise before

I don't know if it makes any odds but it's a CG friction plate I got with a brand new valeo pressure plate

Another video I just took. This is it parked with the handbrake on and letting the clutch take the strain

http://youtu.be/0NMC0rPGOkQ
Thanks given by:
So it's a paddle clutch??
Welding and fabrication projects undertaken, contact me for more information.

Thanks given by:
The old man said he's heard it before on a International tractor he had. Did it up until the day the front axle got smashed off from being driven into the back of a dung-spreader. Confused

What happens if you pull away quite rash? Does it only happen when your being gentle with the clutch?
Thanks given by:
(15-11-2013, 08:40 AM)Jonny81191 Wrote: So it's a paddle clutch??

Yeah

[Image: null_zpsb64b75bb.jpg]

(15-11-2013, 09:38 AM)mr_fish Wrote: The old man said he's heard it before on a International tractor he had. Did it up until the day the front axle got smashed off from being driven into the back of a dung-spreader. Confused

What happens if you pull away quite rash? Does it only happen when your being gentle with the clutch?

I will see when I go home and report back. I would say when more gentle though
Thanks given by:
Mine does this sometimes, go and abuse it some. Not too much, but a damn hard 2nd gear start or 2 wouldn't hurt.

Thanks given by:
(15-11-2013, 10:43 AM)Jonny81191 Wrote: Mine does this sometimes, go and abuse it some. Not too much, but a damn hard 2nd gear start or 2 wouldn't hurt.

Ok cheers mate. Will give it a go. I don't want to end up putting the standard clutch back in
Thanks given by:
Meh, it'll be 'reet

Thanks given by:
If it doesnt slip i dont see a problem Wink

Im going to go out on a limb and say the flywheels nackered/warped. Somehow.
Doesnt even own a 306.
Thanks given by:
(15-11-2013, 10:50 AM)Tom Wrote: If it doesnt slip i dont see a problem Wink

Im going to go out on a limb and say the flywheels nackered/warped. Somehow.

I had fort poss flywheel but to check that means gearbox out Sad
Thanks given by:
Such is life Sad
Doesnt even own a 306.
Thanks given by:
(15-11-2013, 01:21 PM)Tom Wrote: Such is life Sad

Tbf there not that bad it's just lining the release bearing up when putting the box back on
Thanks given by:
Oh yes, i've had my fair share of shouting at them, i put the box in gear and get a ratchet on the crank pulley.
Doesnt even own a 306.
Thanks given by:
Never heard that before.. o.O
Supercharged GTi6 Build
S14 Zenki Build
[Image: signature.png]
Thanks given by:
(15-11-2013, 01:59 PM)Tom Wrote: Oh yes, i've had my fair share of shouting at them, i put the box in gear and get a ratchet on the crank pulley.

I just kick it repeatedly. Seems to work.

Thanks given by:
Bit of an update on this. I have done a fair few 2nd gear pull a ways and I think it has improved it slightly but it still does the noise. It seems to do it more in reverse like when reversing out of parking spaces with a bit of steering look on.

What's anyone's forts? Do more 2nd gear pull a ways?
Thanks given by:
Check your gearbox bolts are tight and also that the bolt on the back is present
Thanks given by:
mine does every once in a while too , I have a full paddle kit from cg with about 1500k on it... just put up with it haha
Thanks given by:
So it does seem to be not making the noise as much anymore but still does it a bit.

1 thing I have noticed is that the clutch pedal is pretty stiff. I have only just started to take notice of it so I think it maybe getting stiffer. Once 1 have driven the car for a bit and the clutch has warmed up it does get a bit lighter. The clutch was pretty light when I had the standard clutch on it.

Anyone found that their clutch pedal is stiffer with the paddle clutch?
Thanks given by:
if its standard valeo pressure plate I cant see why the pressure would change.

sounds a bit like a release bearing
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
(20-11-2013, 08:09 PM)Piggy Wrote: if its standard valeo pressure plate I cant see why the pressure would change.

sounds a bit like a release bearing

The release bearing was a brand new 1 as its part of the pressure plate but I have only just started taking notice of the clutch getting stiffer. Will have to monitor it
Thanks given by:
(20-11-2013, 07:54 PM)Frosty Wrote: 1 thing I have noticed is that the clutch pedal is pretty stiff.

+1 there...should let you try my 206 as that isn't as heavy. Did you replace the bushes on the gearbox fork? or clean them up?
Thanks given by:
Nah just cracked on with what was in it. It was lovely clutch pedal before.

I think I will maybe see about sorting some of the gearbox bushes and get a new cable. Will take the gearbox off just to see if there obvious causing my problem. Dunno when I will get round to it though
Thanks given by:
Changing the bushes may make it lighter but as you no it wont sort the noise....
[Image: av5ym8.jpg]
Thanks given by:
(21-11-2013, 01:25 PM)Jimbo Wrote: Changing the bushes may make it lighter but as you no it wont sort the noise....

Yeah but I cant see how the bushes would suddenly start to make it stiffer. It must of only just started getting stiff and I have only just started taking notice of it.

But if I do end up taking the gearbox off again it would defo be worth changing the bushes while I got it out.

Im half tempted to put the valeo back in
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Strange knock (tap) noise CJ_Derv 8 2,082 06-01-2013, 10:36 AM
Last Post: CJ_Derv
  Strange boost leak? funny noise! doogle-d turbo 38 7,432 21-06-2012, 10:42 AM
Last Post: doogle-d turbo
  k14 turbo noise zx_volcane 16 3,113 22-05-2012, 05:27 PM
Last Post: scottbmxer