Strange boost leak? funny noise!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Strange boost leak? funny noise!
been taking the xud out after fitting fmic, and instead of the 14 psi i had on the top mount its only boosting to like 10/11 now so i presume theres a boost leak somewhere. I've been round and checked all connections and can't seem to pin point where it is. nothings blowing off but air is escaping from somewhere.

You should see peoples faces when the turbo winds up and this comes out...

[img][Image: th_IMG_0382.jpg][/img]

Any1 had this before?
Thanks given by:
manifold?
[Image: 306ocsig_edited-1-1.jpg]

306 HDI, soon to be XUD
Thanks given by:
been out taking a look and realized i didnt put a gasket on the xantia manifold between where the inlet pipe and mani join. That'l be it...
Thanks given by:
glad to be of help Big Grin

306 HDI, soon to be XUD
Thanks given by:
Thanks bud!

Can't seem to find what gasket to get, can i just use a cereal box or something? suppose its better than nothing!
Thanks given by:
Bit of decent card yeah. Or get some of that cork paper stuff
[Image: IMG_20130925_181339_zps95df48fa.jpg]
Thanks given by:
what size FMIC have you got, what turbo you running and where iis your boost gauge located? - thats a fairly low PSI anyway, 14 on an 'upped' turbo is low, on a derv at least.

the fmic is purely to prevent heat soak, in your case at least. if the new FMIC core is too smal, it will be restricting air flow rather that helping it - again, where hasve you located your boost gauge? any pics/info on fmic?

interesting facts here: http://www.rotomaster.com.au/Technical/ ... fault.aspx
Diablo Hdi Dturbo and 205 1.9 project - it lives!
Thanks given by:
i boost at around 15psi at the moment though, thats with a GT15, TMIC and lucas

306 HDI, soon to be XUD
Thanks given by:
Standard is 12-14iirc
Thanks given by:
4WayDiablo Wrote:Standard is 12-14iirc

mine standard on lucas was @ just under 11 with tmic, once bosch was on, it runs 18-20, gear dependent.
Diablo Hdi Dturbo and 205 1.9 project - it lives!
Thanks given by:
14.5 PSI is standard IIRC..........................
Team Orange Engine Bay

My flickr photostream - http://www.flickr.com/photos/markairey
Thanks given by:
I noticed before I did the fmic, that when I turned the turbo up I hit 18-19 psi then it started dropping down to standard again.
Only gave it 1.5 turns tho.

Should u expect a drop in psi when moving to fmic? My piping route isn't great either yet. Havnt had a chance to look at the inlet yet.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Thanks given by:
there will be a slight drop as far as i know

306 HDI, soon to be XUD
Thanks given by:
Probably will be a slight drop but i didnt notice much of a difference at all
Thanks given by:
Made a gasket for inlet and tightened all the pipes up but still no boost and still high pitched whine. It's annoying that u can't tell where it's coming from without driving the car.

I think the 13m nut at the bottom of the inlet is loose but was impossible to access without exhaust and turbo dropping.

Does anyone have another trick to getting to it without messing everything around again?

Then the other area might be where the pipe joins to the intercooler as the pipe is at more than 90 degrees ???

Thanks given by:
Bolt loose, f*ck that, there is an entire stud missing (like where the empty hole is) in that last photo, sort that out before wasting time looking for leaks else where as if half the manifold bolts are missing then you don't really need to look any further!

You can get to all of that with everything still in place too, stand at passenger side wing facing the engine and use your right arm along the back of the block using a 1/4" drive socket set, some extensions and universal joint you can do it Smile
Team Orange Engine Bay

Thanks given by:
Theres 2 studs missing in that photo! Confusedhock:

And also, your LDA looks like the top screw is screwed right down. Have you dont that on purpose or is that how it came? Because its wrong lol Tongue
Thanks given by:
Well, that's where your boost has gone!

306 HDI, soon to be XUD
Thanks given by:
Well spotted dan, I didn't scroll across lol

OK so out of the 3 inlet manifold bolts visible in that photo, 2 of them are missing, doesn't bode well for the rest of the manifold but I think that might be the problem :o
Team Orange Engine Bay

Thanks given by:
That pic was from wen I was taking the manifold off so apart from the 13m nut all the studs are tight as f. So I dnt think it's that.

I've just done the soap test and lots off bubbles cane out so I'm adjusting all the joins so they're nice and tight, so far the whine is still there.

Dan as for the lda screw I had the pump fitted and tuned by someone else cuz I'm really not that knowledgable with the Bosch. As far as I know; had gov mod and fuelling turned up, the wax stat is disconnected?? That's it. What should I do?

Bearing in mind I'm trying to get the 14psi I had on the tmic before I tune any more so I know there's no leaks etc before I do anything else.

It idles nicely at 8-900 rpm at the mo.
Thanks given by:
Could have said that at the time Tongue

Make sure everything is on properly and that its all tight, boost hose on the tubo outlet is another fave for trying to escape and is a royal PITA to get to but is possible using the method in my previous post Smile

Read through Dan's bosch tuning guide in the XUD section mate.................
Team Orange Engine Bay

Thanks given by:
Yea sorry bout that, well looking round, ive re-attached everything and eventually found this hole drilled into the side of one of the pipes. Couldn't see it before I twisted the pipe. U can see it in the pics. So covered that as there was some play in the silicone and the noise went. Smile but a good rag to what looked Like more than 15psi for a second, and it all came apart.

All the hose clips started slipping when I tightened them and lost boost so I'm goin to replace all the ones I havn't and cover the hole up tomorrow. Also got a proper t piece and better boost hose for the boost gauge coming in the morning so we'l see how she runs then, but looking promising.

I've read those guides loads of times now and still not that confident myself. Seen as I didn't set mine up not sure if I Wana go cock my pump up. Thanks for the info and advise mate.
Thanks given by:
Pics, the hole is just top right under silicone, little bugger!

Thanks given by:
With regards to the LDA. Its fairly simple to fiddle with yourself Smile The LDA section of my guide is fairly in depth but if theres anything your still not sure on just PM me. The screw on the top should really bewound 90% out. Which involves loosening the 13mm locknut, screwing the threaded section out using a torx key, and then tightening the 13mm nut back down (you might have to hold the torx key in the other part while doing that so it doesnt screw back in)

How its set up at the moment will just mean it overfuels massively at low revs, which will pretty much just cause lots of uneccesary black/grey smoke and pretty much no extra power.

Edit, wow, a quick little post ends up that long, I write far too much lol
Thanks given by:
Pretty much what I'm getting, thanks mate. I'll have to pm u when I'm sorting the pump out after all fmic is sorted.

I'll do the lda cap and post results but what u said makes sense, low revs=smoke and poor power. Boost leaks my major prob atm.
Thanks given by:
Got a spare bit of silicon to slide over that hole? Stop the leak
Thanks given by:
Buy a new piece of silicone...........if there is a hole in it then your not stopping it leaking!
Team Orange Engine Bay

Thanks given by:
Could always find a bolt to screw into that hole?
[Image: Ty8kl7b.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Was that hole used for a boost gauge by any chance?

306 HDI, soon to be XUD
Thanks given by:
It's in the ally pipe, yea the silicone behind in the pic goes over but I'm not sure if it's enough.

It looks like a random hole? The boost gauge is tapped into the silicone at the inlet side. That pipes between the rad at the bottom.

I managed to get it boosting well today, flickered up to 19 ish a few times. I'm guns re route it tho the outlet pipes go infront and round the back of the rad so I want to get it up under the bonet catch this week.

We had a laser thermometer on the pipes and the air was coming out the same temp as it goes in the fmic so it's effectively pointless lol.
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  D turbo strange noise Frosty 41 13,749 20-04-2018, 07:36 AM
Last Post: mangler
  boost leak ? Motatalk 3 1,151 19-06-2015, 07:46 AM
Last Post: Dave
  Boost leak... philpemberton94 6 2,032 13-06-2014, 10:31 AM
Last Post: toseland