Strange knock (tap) noise

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Strange knock (tap) noise
Hey guys,

Now i may be being daft here, but since fitting the TD04 ive got a tap ( knock) noise now and then against the bulkhead, there is roughly 5mm between turbo and bulkhead and doesnt touch when idle or revd standing, now i havent had a proper look but thinking maybe exhaust against tunnel with new turb, or the actual turbo itself

Now its wierd because it doesnt always do it, it mainly does it if i jolt the throttle, ie press and release quickly, or sometimes when change gear,

i coudl possible do with checking top mount as had this go before just cant get my head round it and it irritates the shit outa me its that loud when it does it people walking by hear it lol

any idead guys?
[Image: J5hxCcC.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Does sound like it's fouling the bulkhead mate, bear in mind the mounts are only rubber so if you're changing gear hard or f*cking about with the throttle the whole thing will rock quite heavily, more so than when it's sat still. Watch dyno videos and you'll see how much engines can move on standard mounts.

First job would be to chock the top engine mount with some appropriately sized bits of metal angle. Make sure it's wedged solid and go for a drive. Could always try one of the Group N top mounts as they're harder rubber, or keep the chocks in like I did with the GTI6.
[Image: signature_zps1a02ba79.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Yeah top ones chocked had a look at bottom and its span the way that will giv too much forwards n backwards rock, will get powerflex i had on blaze n c if it makes a difference if not wil smash bulkhead some more when i retap head for manifold bolts
Thanks given by:
was about to say cj your mounts arent exactly in the best of conditions.......
Official Team Go-NAD fan club
Thanks given by:
True ash u noticed tht on dyno ha
Thanks given by:
i noticed outside my house when the bottom mount first went!!!
Official Team Go-NAD fan club
Thanks given by:
I cant find my powerflex one Sad
Thanks given by:
If you wanted to make sure it was turbo hitting bulkhead use a little bit of paint or similar on the bulkhead and see if it comes off.
[Image: 20120704_212316.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Would be difficult ben iv got a chock in top mount going to slide it in the other way and see it if pulls engine forward 5mm which should do it
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  D turbo strange noise Frosty 41 13,755 20-04-2018, 07:36 AM
Last Post: mangler
  Diesel Knock pugtk 2 1,269 16-07-2016, 05:41 PM
Last Post: Mattcheese31
  Low fuel cause bad knock HDIkyle 1 881 27-02-2015, 09:51 PM
Last Post: HDIkyle