Uh Oh. Drivers footwell flooded!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Uh Oh. Drivers footwell flooded!
The 1.8 passed its MOT and on the way home the drivers footwell felt a bit damp.

Once I took the floor mat out it was flooded with rusty orange water... if its the heater matrix then... Angry

Any ideas on what it is and how to fix it?
Thanks given by:
taste the water is it antifreeze?
Thanks given by:
its fairly warm and orange. Car is impossible to drive as all the windows are steamed up!
Thanks given by:
My guess is heater matrix!
Good luck
Thanks given by:
Radweld is your friend! haha
[Image: car-1.jpg]

Member of the 99% warning or you're nothing club

2000 Moonstone 1.8 Meridian - Sold
2000 China 3dr XS - Dead
1998 Diablo 3dr XSI
Thanks given by:
That sounds like heater matrix, steam pouring out the vents confirms it IMO. Not expensive to buy just a pain in ass to change.
Doesnt even own a 306.
Thanks given by:
Just done mine. Not as bad as I expected
Venetian XUD ph2 heaven
Ph3 perv cab heaven
Black ph1 XUD died

Moonstone hdi stage 2
Thanks given by:
Damn! Time to give up on 306s and buy something newer and more reliable I reckon. Wink

If it is the matrix, they're not hard to do, just time consuming tbh.
Thanks given by:
Seems to be happening a lot recently lol
Thanks given by:
shall i throw in some rad weld? Tax website cant find my insurance so im screwed for getting to london tonight :/

car is currently on the drive with the windows open trying to dry it out!
Thanks given by:
Taxing online wouldn't work for you anyway, it'd get posted to your home address, not London. Undecided
Thanks given by:
DO NOT USE RADWELD.

unless you really want to fcuk your engine and rad.

£30 matrix, and a day of messing in the car with a haynes manual, job done, its not hard, just time consuming.
Thanks given by:
(09-11-2013, 08:10 PM)Toms306 Wrote: Damn! Time to give up on 306s and buy something newer and more reliable I reckon. Wink

If it is the matrix, they're not hard to do, just time consuming tbh.

But as you say all new cars are unreliable too?.........
Thanks given by:
Tax website were a bitch for me when i went back to the mondeo, ended up driving without tax for a couple of days. It refused to accept i was insured, when i was. Stupid website
Thanks given by:
(10-11-2013, 01:37 PM)welshpug Wrote: DO NOT USE RADWELD.

unless you really want to fcuk your engine and rad.

£30 matrix, and a day of messing in the car with a haynes manual, job done, its not hard, just time consuming.

i quite like my engine! its the best bit of the car atm! I only have to drive 3 hours at weekends atm so Ill leave it leaking everywhere for now and fix it when I have time!
Thanks given by:
do not leave it leaking, get a length of hose and bypass the heater for now, as you could muller the headgasket by running with a leaking heater.
Thanks given by:
(10-11-2013, 02:14 PM)welshpug Wrote: do not leave it leaking, get a length of hose and bypass the heater for now, as you could muller the headgasket by running with a leaking heater.

i presume there are two pipes easily accessible in the engine bay which i can just connect together to bypass the matrix? if anyone can get a pic of them and circle them please let me know.
Thanks given by:
Just keep topping up and bleeding the rad Smile
Thanks given by:
It's the two in the middle at the top of the bulk head. You'll need another piece of pipe to join them together though.
Thanks given by:
cant bypass it apparently... i need to block it or replace it.

http://306oc.co.uk/forum/thread-1260.html

Im getting a lift to london and will be at work the rest of the week. Ill try to fix it next weekend!

[Image: IMG_0534.jpg]

http://www.306gti6.com/forum/showthread.php?id=104217

found a guide too!

http://www.306gti6.com/forum/showthread.php?id=78999

just got to buy one now!

Definitely need a new one as my cooling fans dont work so current method of cooling the engine is to hot box the cabin!

Expensive stuff!

http://www.eurocarparts.com/ecp/c/Peugeo...2b6&000189

there are ones on ebay for £15 but with ECP I can always take it back and have a rant.

Does anyone know if there are different shapes and sizes etc or will any fit? Its a phase 3 2000 1.8 btw.
Thanks given by:
I think that one is for non AC models (Valeo). You'd need this one for AC (Behr) - http://www.eurocarparts.com/ecp/c/Peugeo...b58&000189
Thanks given by:
(10-11-2013, 04:15 PM)Toms306 Wrote: I think that one is for non AC models (Valeo). You'd need this one for AC (Behr) - http://www.eurocarparts.com/ecp/c/Peugeo...b58&000189

Bang on!
Doesnt even own a 306.
Thanks given by:
you can bypass, that's exactly what is done in the picture you posted!
Thanks given by:
Isn't bypassing it not good for the engine because it shortens the length of the cooling system?
Thanks given by:
(10-11-2013, 09:03 PM)rocker8742 Wrote: Isn't bypassing it not good for the engine because it shortens the length of the cooling system?

Yeah, water will flow through the shortest route, usually its balanced between the rad and the matrix, if you bypass the matrix, the water will just flow through the bypass (shortest route) and will reduce the cooling..... I don't know if it'd be too much of an issue in current cold temps though.
Thanks given by:
yep it stops the water reaching the rad and means the engine overheats very quickly. Ill be buying a matrix and fitting it next weekend hopefully! Just got to hope the car doesnt grow mould by then!
Thanks given by:
ordered! Do i need any bits to fit it?
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Another wet passenger footwell Stevers 2 2,037 10-02-2021, 03:40 PM
Last Post: Stevers
  Wet Passenger Footwell, no coolant loss.... BikeJake68 2 3,153 12-05-2018, 10:34 AM
Last Post: Toms306
  Electrical burning smell and smoke in passenger footwell DeeTurbo 11 2,186 20-04-2016, 09:44 PM
Last Post: DeeTurbo