Wet Passenger Footwell, no coolant loss....

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Wet Passenger Footwell, no coolant loss....
Hello Everyone  
I've got a mint low mileage Meridian, which Im really chuffed with. However long story short, I was knocked off my motorcycle on the way to work. This meant I wasn't able to do the work into install my in car audio stuff myself. My shoulders are in a mess, so I can't extend my arms.
Since the install of the cables only, as I did the rest, the passenger footwell is wet. There is water coming from the drain tube on the outside of the firewall bung the guys ran my power cable through, and his water is on the inside too. What is this drain tube for??.. What have they don't to my lovely car.? 

As my shoulders are so bad I can't get low enough to see what's going on. I'm hoping that removing if possible the glove box will reveal the issue... If they have knocked a pipe off or something? It's only just happened since having to use the air con, so maybe this is air-conditioning related? 

Important point is that this car has a verified 45k and a fsh. The coolant is level and hadn't dropped in the week and the water smells like stagnant carpet and is definitely not coolant (thank F), hopefully sorting this is my going to be as bad as the other possible horror. 

I know this a first post..  And I really appreciate your help. I chose this car as I love 306s  I paid proper money for it as its lovely, and I want it perfect again ! 

Thanks guys  I feel so disabled with these rotator cuff issues... Trying a press up at 30mph seems to be a painful proposition ... Cheers all.
Thanks given by:
There is a drain hose that fits onto a stub on the bottom of the heater motor, that drains to the outside via the door pillar. Water entering the box section under the windscreen has a large drain hole either side, the near side one is easy to see and unblock if blocked.

See drivers side one that is more difficult.

When our estate was wet on the passenger side it was water coming thru the speaker as the "membrane" between door frame and door card was "punctured" ( missing ) . An easy fix with damp proof blue polythene and some duck tape. Been dry as a bone ever since.

I have been told that sometimes the front bulkheads can corrode/leak.

The box section under the windscreen has bonded on sound proofing that can corrode the tin under it, so remove, dry and paint. Water gets between the sound proofing and the tin.

The carpet sponge backing is fantastic for holding water.

Maybe a cable re route is in order.

The carpet was bone dry before the cable was routed??

The carpet upper surface may appear/feel  dry but the sponge can be saturated underneath.

A citroen dispatch has similar sponge which rotted the floor out. It has a pug hdi engine with no aircon ( but has an intercooler ) and a bottom jockey wheel for aux drive belt anti flapping. Not sure if we are scrapping that beast ( they sure got creative when they made that one !!! ) yet.
Thanks given by:
The pipe through the bulkhead is the air con drain so water is expected to run through there with the AC on. I used to drill through the side of that grommet for audio cables myself with no issue.

Either they have drilled too close to the drain pipe and damaged it, or just pushed the grommet away from the AC box, hopefully the latter! Removing the glovebox won't help so don't waste your time there.
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Another wet passenger footwell Stevers 2 2,008 10-02-2021, 03:40 PM
Last Post: Stevers
  Electrical burning smell and smoke in passenger footwell DeeTurbo 11 2,171 20-04-2016, 09:44 PM
Last Post: DeeTurbo
  Driver footwell damp HELP! PugRory 11 2,141 01-12-2015, 09:55 AM
Last Post: PugRory