Electrical burning smell and smoke in passenger footwell

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Electrical burning smell and smoke in passenger footwell
Today in the way to work got a burning smell and smoke in the passenger footwell.

I was at some lights when it happened and when I saw the smoke I turn the engine off and disconnected the battery. Pushed the car to the kurb out the way and started looking for what it could be.

First thoughts were the two connectors under the glove box, split them checked the pins all looked good.

Then checked the connector on the fan, all looked good.

Not sure what else to check at the moment.

It's a phase 3 HDI so no resistor in the fan and the smoke was only in the passenger footwell. Going to have a good look down the back of the radio tonight.

What else could it be down there?

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk
Thanks given by:
Could be the motor in the fan? Does the fan work as expected? What happens if you turn the fan off or leave it disconnected?
Thanks given by:
The fan is working as it should. I would have thought if it was the fan there would have been smoke coming out the vents?

Coming home it was all fine, apart from the car stinking of that burnt smell.

Thanks given by:
Had another look at the fan terminals and I think it might have been that. The negative on the connector doesn't look great but I would have thought the plastic would have melted more with the amount of smoke there was. [Image: cb8740ad2f3910557071f8d1ad816536.jpg]

Thanks given by:
Don't think it was that, I've seen them melt a few times, that still looks fine! There is a thick wire in a white plug that often burns/melts in towards the centre dash on the passenger side, can't remember what its for or even its exact location which I know isn't helpful. Confused
Thanks given by:
[Image: 703e02269c952de5c44745064778a295.jpg]

They all looked good to. I've heard of the lift pump contacts burning in one of them.

Trying to think back when I did the estate heater matrix and I can't remember a thick wire in a white plug :-(

Do you need to remove trim to get to it?
Thanks given by:
I'll see if I can find a pic of it.

[Image: Breaking3065262_zpsa65d448e.jpg]

[Image: Breaking3065263_zps533814a2.jpg]

And this is what the heater plug looked like on the same car... Yet another car suffering from a garage doing the matrix! Sad

[Image: Breaking3065264_zpsa77b0b72.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Wow, that is bad and that's how bad I would have thought something that caused the smoke would be like.

Any idea where about that plug is?
Thanks given by:
That's all the pics I can find I'm afraid. Sad It was on the stripped estate, with the dash out completely.
Thanks given by:
I had a look through my photos of when I did my heater matrix and couldn't see a plug like that one Sad Any idea on want it's for, maybe something to do with the blower seeing as the blower connector cables are so bad?
Thanks given by:
It was 4 years ago, my memory really isn't that good! I think it was blower related but not at all sure.
Thanks given by:
I'll see if I can trace the blower cables back, hopefully find it that way.

I've put an extinguisher in the car to, just in case lol
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Another wet passenger footwell Stevers 2 1,983 10-02-2021, 03:40 PM
Last Post: Stevers
  Wet Passenger Footwell, no coolant loss.... BikeJake68 2 3,129 12-05-2018, 10:34 AM
Last Post: Toms306
  Driver footwell damp HELP! PugRory 11 2,134 01-12-2015, 09:55 AM
Last Post: PugRory