Bottom aux belt pulley removal

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bottom aux belt pulley removal
Anyone got any tips for removing this given my recent situation with my cam pulleys... I tried removing it off the other day but it's not budging. I don't have any air tools, so it's pretty tricky.

It's a GTi6
Thanks given by:
I maybe wrong but get someone to put it in gear and foot brake on and try to undone it. I always use a impact gun so don't have any problem Smile
Thanks given by:
With wheel bolts in the hubs aswell otherwise you could break off the locating screw for the the disc lol
Doesnt even own a 306.
Thanks given by:
(19-10-2013, 10:44 PM)Tom Wrote: With wheel bolts in the hubs aswell otherwise you could break off the locating screw for the the disc lol

Yes I did this
(even though I knew about it I just forgot) haa
[Image: av5ym8.jpg]
Thanks given by:
locking pin in place, breaker bar and a 22mm socket. Done. They are bloody tight. I think they are 220nm?
Team Eaton

1999 China Blue 306 GTi6 - Eaton Supercharged - 214.5bhp 181lbft
Thanks given by:
(20-10-2013, 09:27 AM)Niall Wrote: locking pin in place, breaker bar and a 22mm socket. Done. They are bloody tight. I think they are 220nm?

Can't use the locking pins as the inlet pulley is snapped Wink
Thanks given by:
Correct me if im wrong but I think he means lock the flywheel.
Anyhow I wouldnt do it like that could damage the ring gear on flywheel. Or if the pin snaps you'll be taking the gearbox off to find the pieces
Thanks given by:
On the aux belt pulley is a hole and at about 12 oclock is a locking hole. Bang a 8mm(?) drill bit in there and undo it. Dont need a belt on at all.
Team Eaton

Thanks given by:
Ahh right. Thought u ment lock the flywheel through hole in side of block
Thanks given by:
(20-10-2013, 10:39 AM)Niall Wrote: On the aux belt pulley is a hole and at about 12 oclock is a locking hole. Bang a 8mm(?) drill bit in there and undo it. Dont need a belt on at all.

Legend. I'll have a gander at it tomorrow, if that comes undone, off comes the head and I can start rebuilding it and I'll have the 6 back Big Grin
Thanks given by:
i wouldnt use the pin to undo the bolt as you risk delaminating the pulley
which will feck you up when you come to retime the engine as that is the only crank lock point

i would tend to use the teeth on the flywheel to lock the crank
Thanks given by:
(20-10-2013, 10:54 AM)cully Wrote: i would tend to use the teeth on the flywheel to lock the crank

+1
[Image: siggy1.jpg]

the smokey old bus that sounds like a tractor...
Thanks given by:
(20-10-2013, 10:54 AM)cully Wrote: i wouldnt use the pin to undo the bolt as you risk delaminating the pulley
which will feck you up when you come to retime the engine as that is the only crank lock point

How to you lock the crank with the flywheel? Does it involve dropping the gearbox off?
Thanks given by:
(20-10-2013, 02:44 PM)callumcull Wrote:
(20-10-2013, 10:54 AM)cully Wrote: i wouldnt use the pin to undo the bolt as you risk delaminating the pulley

How to you lock the crank with the flywheel? Does it involve dropping the gearbox off?

No there is an inspection cover in the top of the gear box directly above the fly wheel which is ideal for sticking a prybar in, get a mate to hold that whilst you undo the crank pulley.
Team Eaton

Thanks given by:
Thanks Niall, I'll try that tomorrow when I can get hold of a breaker bar.
Thanks given by:
I got the pulley off by locking the flywheel. I tried with someone sat in the car and foot on brakes, but there was too much give. The flywheel method kept it solid!

Thanks lads Wink
Thanks given by:
breaker bar...jammed in ground.
then use starter!!

make sure fuel switch deactivated/coil pack off
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  power steering belt not on the pulley properly jjenn20 2 935 06-04-2015, 01:29 PM
Last Post: jjenn20
  Pug1off or Lynx bottom pulley HDIkyle 16 3,006 05-12-2013, 09:03 PM
Last Post: miles
  Gti6 bottom pulley head scratcher Marcdimma 4 1,780 15-11-2013, 06:22 PM
Last Post: welshpug