SRowells Diablo 1.8 - Jenvey 45s & OMEX600

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
SRowells Diablo 1.8 - Jenvey 45s & OMEX600
(18-05-2014, 07:15 PM)SRowell Wrote: Amazingly JP its running stock cams because im running a stock 1.8 head.

It's possible to have a stock head with aftermarket cams in it.

I guess if you have designs to move to the '6 head why would you spend the money. Fair enough.

What you doing about trumpet lengths?

JP
JP
Thanks given by:
Trumpet lengths are the standard 90mm.

Cully yes I think I will be walking to FCS D: I believe that it is mostly wired now. Its only the ecu power relay and the fuel relay that arent done. I plan to wake up early tomorrow morning and get those done. Hopefully I can then get it started and then Chris will turn up with the PAS pump and we can get the belt on and hopefully all ready to go!
Thanks given by:
Lol dude you really need to plan this stuff better. lol

How much further did you get last night?
306 HDi Deathtrap - 130bhp / 220lbft
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
(18-05-2014, 08:40 PM)SRowell Wrote: Trumpet lengths are the standard 90mm.

Will 90mm be long enough? Or do the 1.8's not like to have as long a trumpet as the GTi-6 motor?

JP
JP
Thanks given by:
(19-05-2014, 06:13 AM)Poodle Wrote: Lol dude you really need to plan this stuff better. lol

How much further did you get last night?

Last night I got all of the loom wired but not the power and fuel pump relays...

(19-05-2014, 08:56 AM)jammapic Wrote:
(18-05-2014, 08:40 PM)SRowell Wrote: Trumpet lengths are the standard 90mm.

Will 90mm be long enough? Or do the 1.8's not like to have as long a trumpet as the GTi-6 motor?

JP

Im sure 90mm is fine. Any longer and the filter will be in the rad!
Thanks given by:
[Image: gaqypeve.jpg] best wiring ever!!
Quote:(15:06:27) Toms306: Wd40d it and had a good tug, came straight off

[Image: attachment.php?aid=5522]

Thanks given by:
(19-05-2014, 10:43 PM)Ben Jay Wrote: [Image: gaqypeve.jpg] best wiring ever!!

And the best ecu mounting ever. This was improved upon by adding bubble wrap! Big Grin
Thanks given by:
So is it mapped now then? Smile
Chris
1999 China GTi6 Supercharged track car
2000 Bianca LX non turbo slowness

Team: I hate Sam Rowell's stanceboard!
Thanks given by:
(20-05-2014, 01:08 PM)cjm_harris Wrote: So is it mapped now then? Smile

Of course! Big Grin I just havent got round to writing the post and sorting out the pictures yet!

its a mess but a working mess Tongue
Thanks given by:
Is that honestly where you have the ECU?
[Image: car-1.jpg]

Member of the 99% warning or you're nothing club

2000 Moonstone 1.8 Meridian - Sold
2000 China 3dr XS - Dead
1998 Diablo 3dr XSI
Thanks given by:
(20-05-2014, 06:01 PM)Grant Wrote: Is that honestly where you have the ECU?
Right now it is yeh! Well not exactly... its wrapped in bubble wrap and wedged between the wing and ABS pump. Where the ecu was going wasnt my main concern at the time!
Thanks given by:
lol Fair enough. It's in and working. That's the main thing.

Any teething problems?
[Image: car-1.jpg]

Member of the 99% warning or you're nothing club

2000 Moonstone 1.8 Meridian - Sold
2000 China 3dr XS - Dead
1998 Diablo 3dr XSI
Thanks given by:
(20-05-2014, 06:15 PM)Grant Wrote: lol Fair enough. It's in and working. That's the main thing.

Any teething problems?

Needs to have the accelerator down a bit to start and its more important to let the engine warm up but yeh all seems good Tongue
Thanks given by:
More importantly, how does it drive and what sort of power is it making currently? Will definitely be interesting to see the dyno difference between a 1.8 and GTI head.
[Image: Ty8kl7b.jpg]
Thanks given by:
I left after Sam was finished on the dyno but having seen the graph, its a very nice smooth graph! Bet it drives lovely!
Team Eaton

1999 China Blue 306 GTi6 - Eaton Supercharged - 214.5bhp 181lbft
Thanks given by:
Come on. TELL US THE POWER!!
Thanks given by:
(20-05-2014, 07:30 PM)Dum-Dum Wrote: Come on. TELL US THE POWER!!

it's on facebook Tongue
Diablo Hdi Dturbo and 205 1.9 project - it lives!
Thanks given by:
So here we go... the big update post....

Some goodies arrived which meant i could fit the fondmetals on again and I was short of a few relays for when it came to wiring the omex.

[Image: IMG-20140515-WA0008_zpsl55wbdt5.jpg]
[Image: IMG_20140516_140338_zps3l5ringp.jpg]

Spacers went on and the fondmetals cleared the brakes. unfortunately the longer wheel bolts were too long and couldnt be fitted but the standard bolts get a few turns in so should be fine. I kept checking them on the drive back to London and tightening them up if they needed it.

Saturday afternoon saw the work begin. There is no where better to do a serious amount of car work than a back street in East London. As you can see here I parked like an idiot to give myself lots of working space and picked the flattest bit of road possible. Note the fondmetals back on <3

[Image: FB_IMG_1400344817063_zpso0aj6hfc.jpg]

First of all the gti6 manifold came off which gave me lots more room to work around the bay and easier access to remove the original loom.

[Image: IMG_20140517_195940_zps9gpz1sgw.jpg]

Once the loom was removed I set about removing the PAS pump and the AC pump. I hacksawed off the pipes for the AC pump as there was no time to take the front of the car apart to do it properly. I will have to do this at a later date. I had been really worried about the AUX belt as I had never touched it before in my life. With both pumps off and working out how the tensioner worked I fitted the PAS relocation bracket and called it a night.

In the morning I went to fit the PAS pump. Disaster... the 1.8 PAS pump pulley is a lot bigger than the gti6 one which meant it fouled on the tensioner mount, arm and pulley! No way was that going to fit. I made calls, threads and facebook posts to try and get hold of one asap. Unfortunately although there were lots about people couldnt get them to me. By now locals were asking me if I was a mechanic and 5 people asked if I would service their cars for them!

[Image: IMG-20140517-WA0005_zps8jelxuaz.jpg]

Anyway I cracked on with fitting the throttlebodies to the engine and put in the partially stripped gti6 loom I had prepared the week before. I had left lots on that wasnt needed and the whole thing was a mess. Most of the Omex wiring went straight on so that bit was easy. Got it all wired (crimped with electrical tape) up and fitted the fuel lines, fuel pressure regulator and 1.8 injectors. Also got the throttle linkage sorted as it was missing a few nuts. had to cable tie the cable on as there was no way it was going to be fitted properly.

[Image: IMG-20140518-WA0050_zpskgsfqe8c.jpg]
[Image: IMG-20140519-WA0001_zpstifsqgi5.jpg]
Thanks given by:
The morning came and I was out there first thing putting on the fuel pump relays and the power relays. After doing a bit of troubleshooting with the fuel pump relay it managed to start. It was an extremely tense moment as wrong connections could have ruined everything. It started and idled nicely.

Ben Jay came along and started helping me out by doing a oil, filter and spark plug change. Niall then shortly turned up with the magic parts! A gti6 PAS pump and some GTI6 injectors. Thought these were a good idea as they provide a lot more flow than the 1.8 ones.

[Image: IMG-20140519-WA0000_zpskhnaaucx.jpg]

Niall left and Ben and I fitted the new PAS pump. Unfortunately the belt I had bought months ago specifically for the job was too short so Ben had to do several runs to ECP in order to get the right one... Which turned out to be not 1103 but 1145. I still dont know what caused it to be so wrong.

With time pressing and there being a severe lack of vices on the street I couldnt rotate the elbow on the PAS pump so I decided not to plumb the PAS.

There were a few things that didnt have connections any more... There was no vacuum take off for the assisted breaking and the top breather hose had no where to go so that was stuffed into a coke bottle. Remember bodged not bought people!

[Image: IMG-20140519-WA0015_zpsuwbhiu0f.jpg]

Then the trumpets and filter housing went on. Followed by the filter itself!

[Image: IMG-20140519-WA0017_zpsrlxgzhlp.jpg]

Luckily I remembered I had a spare breather filter! (See if you can spot the mistake in the picture above and below! D: )

[Image: IMG_20140519_141158_zpslnaexig3.jpg]

With an hour to go before the flat bed was due to arrive we changed the fuel filter and put the car back on the floor. Ben headed home and I sat and waited.

Allen the very optimistic flat bed man arrived and put out the ramps and lots of wooden chocks which meant I got onto the ramp fine. The last big of getting onto the truck was a bit more of a struggle as the car was scraping the entire way! Being low isnt cool kids, its just embarassing!

[Image: IMG_20140519_144830_zps4dnukppq.jpg]
[Image: IMG-20140519-WA0022_zpszillxswk.jpg]
[Image: IMG_20140519_145502_zpslf3lz8df.jpg]
[Image: IMG_20140519_145507_zpspwiqqhdd.jpg]

Amazingly for the first time in my pug ownership the car was on the back of a truck. Not for breaking down. Just for starting another stage of its life.

[Image: IMG_20140519_150432_zpsndghmrzr.jpg]

The car refused to come off the truck and got its exhaust stuck on the lip of the truck. Some more wood sorted this out.

Lack of photos here but Niall turned up again and we waited for an hour and a half for a 1.8 MG ZR to come off the rollers. That made 202hp and the old man said it was his wifes. He was lovely and very chatty and it was great to see someone so passionate about cars at such an old age.

With the GTI6 injectors the car didnt idle so we had to push it onto the rollers. Steve the super hero mapper found that my bodies were missing a spring which meant the butterfly valves were in the wrong position. Nothing I lost and thats what you get for second hand parts. 5 minutes in a back room saw him find one which fixed it.

They also needed to put their lambda sensor in. Apparently mine was made of rust and they had to use a blow torch on it. That made relations better no end.

Car went on the rolling road and lots of air conditioned air was flowing through the radiator. Very useful as like most things original on this car... they didnt work!

[Image: IMG_20140519_183808_zpsvjugcsnf.jpg]

They made sure to tie it down properly as they hadnt seen this much french power before! I asked for the limiter to be at 7000rpm.

[Image: IMG_20140519_183821_zpssdfisxmu.jpg]

Steve went about doing his job whilst the extractor did a very poor job of sucking up all the fumes.

[Image: IMG_20140519_184114_zps9lz5uoie.jpg]
[Image: IMG-20140519-WA0030_zpsbcojc6yg.jpg]

After about 4 hours we had ourselves a laminated print out!
129.4hp and 121lbft of torque. Not bad for an engine (125k) which is 110hp stock.

[Image: IMG-20140519-WA0032_zps0ujwj1er.jpg]

Took it for a quick test on the road which was interesting with no PAS or assited brakes. It sounds amazing and it shifted a whole lot more than it used to. Handed over what remained of my overdraft and convoyed home with Ben!

This is how it stands today. Working with only the loom to tidy up and the PAS and brakes to fix.

[Image: IMG_20140520_175803_zpsmnprojwo.jpg]
Thanks given by:
So how much has this cost? Not really getting my head around this, stage 1 DT power and 80lbft less.
Peugeot 206 GTI HDI
Volvo V50 2.0d
Volvo XC90 D5

Thanks given by:
I don't see why people always think these things are all about power. With by build, i could of bought a second hand lynx kit and had 50hp more. fantastic... but wheres the fun in that? I'm quite happy i built it all my self and likewise, considering sam is somewhat incompetent with the spanners (sorry Sam!), he should be bloody proud of him self that he's built a wiring loom for this and done all this work when he could barely even remove an aux belt on Saturday morning.
Everyone has different targets. Some is power, some is drivability, some is just to prove a point.
Team Eaton

1999 China Blue 306 GTi6 - Eaton Supercharged - 214.5bhp 181lbft
Thanks given by:
I can handle the spanners but its putting them in the right place Tongue . For something done in 1 weekend on a back street in east London with no mains electricity, no lighting and as Niall says limited experience I think its gone very well. I had never touched an aux belt or any pumps etc before this weekend. It was only 3 weekends ago I was swapping brakes and brake lines for the first time!

The bodies and the ECU are the main cost but they hold their value fairly well and can always be reused for another XU 306.

The reason I have done this to a 1.8 is that I already had the car and everything bar the engine is how I want it. The engine is also a lot lighter than the XU10 block which should mean that it handles better. It handled fantastically on track.

I'm only 21 so any decent engine mods have only just become affordable insurance wise. If I wanted something powerful I would be running a 106 NAD for a few months until I could buy an evo 9. But then I wouldn't have a 306 to tinker with where it doesnt matter if I try something and it goes wrong.
Thanks given by:
Great job so far can't wait to see this sunday Big Grin

And definitely a one off a with time and a few mods bits this with be absolutely animal on track,im shure you ll see over 150bhp with the head decat exhaust.

Definitely inspirating me to get stuck in and do more of my own work.
[Image: Cn91r40h.jpg] 
Astor 6 Fast road/track project
Thanks given by:
Haha.. join the club of shit cold starts and funny idles!

Does the Omex not allow for spark advance / retard based idle control?
JP
Thanks given by:
Ahh you made it in time then

As said on book face it's not about the power, if power was the goal a engine conversion or different car may have been the route

But that's boring anyone can go out and buy a quicker car thought we was all into modifying? Built not bought and all that

Anyway looks well mate bet it sounds better get some vids up
[Image: image_zps45f2003b.jpg]

Team Doesn't own a 306
Thanks given by:
(20-05-2014, 08:50 PM)Anton Wrote: So how much has this cost? Not really getting my head around this, stage 1 DT power and 80lbft less.

Haha I reminded him many times of this when we were waiting. "You do realise I can go out now and within 10 mins I can have more power then this by turning 2 screws up?" Sam wasn't impressed by this...
Quote:(15:06:27) Toms306: Wd40d it and had a good tug, came straight off

[Image: attachment.php?aid=5522]

Thanks given by:
(20-05-2014, 10:33 PM)jammapic Wrote: Haha.. join the club of shit cold starts and funny idles!

That's only the case for shit cold mapping.

Go to someone who maps these day in day out and they'll get it right, you wont have any idle issues and get much better MPG, and a longer lasting engine.
Thanks given by:
Good result Sam!

As said, its not just about the power, its whats under the graph that counts. Hope you are happy with it, and I'm impressed you managed to do most of it yourself, great effort!

Interested to see how well it goes mate, and interested to see what it makes with the gti head on etc.
Chris
1999 China GTi6 Supercharged track car
2000 Bianca LX non turbo slowness

Team: I hate Sam Rowell's stanceboard!
Thanks given by:
Nice one Sam! interesting (& hectic) weekend for you.

Nice to see the 1.8 being pushed a bit more. Are you at the limit for that head/block? or is there anymore to give?
Thanks given by:
he's only half way for what I have seen that engine produce in n-a form, Sandy Brown built one over 230 bhp with this block crank and head.

Boosted, they were the base lump for the 206 WRC engines...

with a full gti head it'll be about 160 bhp, its been done on the 205 forum.
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  SRowells Black Rallye Eeyore 736 238,551 22-05-2020, 10:11 AM
Last Post: Mighty306
  SRowells 3D Printed Cup Holders Eeyore 17 6,308 08-01-2017, 07:04 PM
Last Post: Magenta Sunset
  SRowells & Declantgs StanceBoard Project Eeyore 59 14,153 25-06-2012, 10:57 PM
Last Post: Eeyore