Nialls supercharged GTi6 - project tidy up

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Nialls supercharged GTi6 - project tidy up
Finally fixed my f*cking knocking noise!!!

Had to settle for a replacement hub. Also replaced my driveshaft as the last one had a fair bit of play in it.
Had a very productive day. Oil and filter change, coolant and thermostat change and replaced my hub.

Also took my K&N back out of the stock box seeing as the weather seems to be getting better now. Forgot how much of a epic noise these make!!! Can see my fuel bill being pretty drastic for a few weeks lol

Tomorrow, ill be replacing my torsion bars with standard GTi ones as the 22.5s are too stiff for my liking. Also take the front shocks off and remove the bump stops as i failed epically and put bumpstops on a shock that doesnt require them and has internal ones lol

Plan for next few weekends....Wet sand the paint and highly polish it. Want it as shiny as my old 1.8

[Image: 530ec94d.jpg]

Oh and big thanks to this dick head for helping me all day and putting up with my general annoying shit

Team Eaton

1999 China Blue 306 GTi6 - Eaton Supercharged - 214.5bhp 181lbft
Thanks given by:
Change your tshirt sam, you stinky fucka. How many days has that one been going now?
[Image: car-1.jpg]

Member of the 99% warning or you're nothing club

2000 Moonstone 1.8 Meridian - Sold
2000 China 3dr XS - Dead
1998 Diablo 3dr XSI
Thanks given by:
niall, what you doing with the old bars?

Pm me Smile
Thanks given by:
Sorry Sean they are already sold. If he drops out though, there yours! Smile
Team Eaton

Thanks given by:
Days? Bitch please, I count t shirt wear in weeks
[Image: k6f9Fk]

Member of the 99% warning or you're nothing club
Thanks given by:
Well my cured knocking noise.....its back Sad Im assuming the ball joint is buggered and has probably buggered the new hub so next payday i need a new Meyle ball joint and a new hub. Fun times!

On a better note, washed my car this evening. Looking forward to getting the sand paper on this car next weekend Big Grin

Oh and i curbed one of my wheels on a stupid stone my neighbour insists on having right on the edge of the road outside his house. Pretty gutted. Time to find a touch up pen the right colour Sad

Team Eaton

Thanks given by:
Looks so much better without the clones IMO.

my neighbor used to have rocks on either side of their drive too, hit them numerous times reversing in at night so I "dissapeared" them haha
Current stable
'09 Mercedes E320cdi wagon 
'99 306 gti6
Thanks given by:
Got any photos of deh K&N? I'm going back to a standard exhaust in a few weeks and can't quite bare to have no fun noise at all (currently got a standard airbox).

Thinking of getting a 90 degree elbow and about 6 inches (gigaddy) of pipe and bolting a filter onto the end of that so it's not too low but at the same time away from the heat of the engine a bit.
[Image: sigjpg.jpg]
Serious.
Thanks given by:
Shame about the alloy dude Sad why sanding the paint?
[Image: fe6eddc8-1731-4100-a5fe-1edb853a88b6_zpseeacf928.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Havent got any pics but ive used the standard hose that goes from the airbox to the throttle body. Just got the filter on the end of it but i will be buying a nice SS 90 degree bend to bring it up off the floor. Bottom of the filter is about level with the bottom of the gearbox :S

(06-05-2013, 09:58 PM)sam Wrote: Shame about the alloy dude Sad why sanding the paint?

Flat it back to get rid of the orange peel in the lacquer then polish it. Peugeot never really painted their cars that well from the factory!
Team Eaton

Thanks given by:
Ahhhhh never thought of that, what sand psper you using?
Thanks given by:
(06-05-2013, 10:03 PM)sam Wrote: Ahhhhh never thought of that, what sand psper you using?

Seeing as the 3dr rear quarters are bad, will probably use 1500 on them and 2000 on the rest. Will do a guide on it when i do it....not that its that difficult.
Team Eaton

Thanks given by:
Was going to get a blow over on mine once I get the bumpers, boot and bonnet smoothed, but might give this ago and see how it turns out after you do it
Thanks given by:
Its a very good way of getting rid of any small scratches and blemishes in the paint. You will end up with a nice smooth even finish but you have to look after it afterwards. if it goes downhill and you wet sand it again, you may go through the lacquer layer (although pug are renowned for using a lot of lacquer on their cars) and then it will need a respray. Once ive done mine, it will be polished and several coats of Dodo Juice wax (i find it lasts a long time) to protect it
Team Eaton

Thanks given by:
Wet sanding or Full Paint correction as it is know can acheive results like these

[Image: SAM_0930.jpg]
[Image: SAM_0926.jpg]
[Image: SAM_0987.jpg]
[Image: SAM_0984.jpg]

in this picture you can see the highs, lows and orange peel in this panel the whole aim is to get the paint on one even layer which focuses the light rather than scatters it give it and unbelievable glossy finish even before sealant and wax!
[Image: 8a6f57dc.jpg]

2 layers of sealant and 5 layers of poor boys paste wax leaves epic beading
[Image: SAM_1009.jpg]
[Image: SAM_1014.jpg]
Perv 106 1.4 xs First Pug Love - Scrapped
Perv 306 1.6 5 Door Hore - Sold
110bhp 207 Hdi Sport - Used as a Brake
173bhp T25 Ph1 Diablo Dturbo - Scrapped
Thirsty Bitch Volvo 850 Estate - Sold
51bhp Berlingo Nad DT Van - Sold
Slow as f*ck Dispatch Work Horse

www.prestige-auto-care.co.uk
Thanks given by:
What grade sand paper did you guys use?
[Image: Ty8kl7b.jpg]
Thanks given by:
I used between 1700 and 2000 on mine. Probably could of gone harsher but wasn't too keen on that.
Team Eaton

Thanks given by:
I used 2000 on my old DT
Thanks given by:
You do need some kind of machine polisher to bring it back though dont you?
Doesnt even own a 306.
Thanks given by:
You don't need one but it makes life easier
Thanks given by:
Amazing what a difference these wheels have made to your car actually , takes away from the monster trucking look a bit now ThumbsUp

[Image: DSC_0190-Copy_zpsf093f84d.jpg]
Member of 99% warning or your nothing club!

Thanks given by:
(08-05-2013, 05:20 PM)Tom Wrote: You do need some kind of machine polisher to bring it back though dont you?

I did my old 1.8 by hand. Probably why it took so long! A polisher does help though.

Jamie, its no lower. Problem is i always take pics on my drive and its on a fair slope which leaves me with a high front and low back on one side and opposite on the other lol.
Team Eaton

Thanks given by:
I look forward to your guide then dude! Be good to see your results Smile
Doesnt even own a 306.
Thanks given by:
So yesterday this happened

And then it turned into this

Unfortunately though i then ran out of cutting compound so its no where near as shiny as i would like. WIll have to wait to pay day to get some more Sad

Also replaced my gear linkage bush which has made a massive difference!

Team Eaton

Thanks given by:
Some bleddy balls taking sand paper to your paint, i'd chicken out! It does look like its working though! What cutting compound you using?
Doesnt even own a 306.
Thanks given by:
(19-05-2013, 05:23 PM)Tom Wrote: Some bleddy balls taking sand paper to your paint, i'd chicken out! It does look like its working though! What cutting compound you using?

Any body shop will do it after a respray. The final coat of paint is not the final finish! You will normally find once its been painted in a body shop, it looks shit after.
When pug did them originally though, they were painted under such controlled environments that it wasnt really needed so there is still a nice thick coat of lacquer on there.

Flatted back with 1500 grit paper and then cut with these two

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Meguiars-M105-...2c6edf6e3b

Unfortunately i ran out of 105 after a first go over the rear quarter so thats why its still quite hazy. Ive put a coat of wax on it to protect it but that will be going in a few weeks when i can order some more cut and will go over it a few more times.

May do a guide once i take some more pics when i carry on. Want the whole car done before pugfest including a few little touchups.
Team Eaton

Thanks given by:
Thats awesome dude, cant wait to be able to start sorting my paintwork out.
Thanks given by:
Right Well a little update. Over the past few weeks ive been falling out of love with the car and just couldnt be arsed with it. Even with driving seeing as its 'hard work' compared to the kia. Spent the weekend in it, fixed some issues...nothing major but just them typical annoying rattles and squeaks that always just made me think sod this rattly POS. Went for a little drive (very little seeing as the orange light was on and i have no money for fuel), sun was out, shades on and loved it. Every minute of it! SO its staying Tongue

Anyway, todays progress. Not much. Had an easy day of it and FINALLY got my trip computer fully working....averaged 18mpg on my drive :S ) Also started fibre glassing it into the dash instead of it just hanging out. Havent painted it as i havent decided what colour to do the dash. Thinking high gloss black but we will see. Other contender is matt grey.

Team Eaton

Thanks given by:
That's the issue with 306s, they irritate you, wind you up with their niggles annoyances and foibles, then you take it, hurl it down a road you know and instantly fall back in love and you remember why you go through all the shit....

Also - we need a wet sanding session at some time!!

Stevie Wonder seemingly has attempted to use a mop on my car in the past and you can see every single pass he's made with it... Only in the dark mind...
(16-05-2016, 10:45 AM)Toms306 Wrote: Oh I don't care about the stripped threads lol, that's easily solved by hammering the bolt in. Wink
Nanstone GTD5 GT17S - XUD9TE
Volvo V50 D5 R-Design SE Sport - Daily cruise wagon.
Thanks given by:
Come up to mine one weekend. More than welcome to stay (we can spoon in my bed) and we will have a crack at your car. I also want to get that exhaust off you before pugfest. sod driving that distance with my longlife on lol.
Team Eaton

Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Matts Cherry HDi Dturbo. Project Stage 1+ & tidy up. Matt-Rallye 29 14,056 10-05-2017, 12:49 PM
Last Post: Poodle
  Matts £200 Cherry Rallye shell rebuild & tidy up project. Xsara goodies landed! Matt-Rallye 70 35,174 07-03-2017, 12:58 PM
Last Post: Matt-Rallye
  Moonstone GTi6 Track-Lite Project reese 28 15,469 29-01-2017, 09:34 AM
Last Post: reese