White phase 1, now with added truck turbo and massive head gasket failure

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
White phase 1, now with added truck turbo and massive head gasket failure
Right, so... Who can get the cheapest gaskets?
Thanks given by:
il be using another victor reinz
Current stable
'09 Mercedes E320cdi wagon 
'99 306 gti6
Thanks given by:
I used one of those on my new engine and I am still have issues a year after the rebuild.
Thanks given by:
(20-03-2013, 10:53 PM)Pompey306mark Wrote: I used one of those on my new engine and I am still have issues a year after the rebuild.

what sort of issues? i used a reinz hg when i rebuilt the engine had no problems up until today, although i think what actually killed it was my trip into wales on the weekend, let it get too hot boosting up hills Sad

headgasket lasted about 1200 miles lol
Current stable
'99 306 gti6
Thanks given by:
Yea it's been find for a year. Now pressurising, get hot then cooling down, and a few other bits.
Thanks given by:
(20-03-2013, 11:13 PM)Pompey306mark Wrote: Yea it's been find for a year. Now pressurising, get hot then cooling down, and a few other bits.

using forged headstuds should prevent future head problems, but i might try a genuine Peugeot gasket this time see how it does.
Current stable
'99 306 gti6
Thanks given by:
I would like better head studs, need to see where people are getting them from.
Thanks given by:
HG fail month... More like perfectly normal xud tuning month. :p

I think somebody needs to find a way of enlarging the waterways on these heads, although from memory i'm not 100% sure there's room..?
306 HDi Deathtrap - 130bhp / 220lbft
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
A full metal headgasket and uprated headbolts would probably be the way forward...

Kseries now all have full metal headgaskets due to their poor reliability...not sure if it has fixed how crap they are though
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
I would see if cosmetic do a head gasket I got one when I was doing me skyline and they are very good not cheap but would save doing it again
[Image: mike_sig_zpsd438fb98.jpg]

Thanks given by:
taking it off the road for a bit to rebuild the head plus add all the parts ive been collecting over the last 6 months.

exciting things in the works, watch this space Smile
Current stable
'99 306 gti6
Thanks given by:
(21-03-2013, 07:12 AM)Piggy Wrote: A full metal headgasket and uprated headbolts would probably be the way forward...

Kseries now all have full metal headgaskets due to their poor reliability...not sure if it has fixed how crap they are though

+1
Now only a has been!!

www.autorite-sport.co.uk
Thanks given by:
Looking forward to this!!
[Image: fe6eddc8-1731-4100-a5fe-1edb853a88b6_zpseeacf928.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Small change of plan, its remaining taxed and insured as I need to move it between workshops, headgasket getting changed asap then adding new bits every day after and during. Screw waiting for warmer weather, time to man up and get her boosting Smile
Current stable
'99 306 gti6
Thanks given by:
(26-03-2013, 09:05 PM)ozonehostile Wrote: Small change of plan, its remaining taxed and insured as I need to move it between workshops, headgasket getting changed asap then adding new bits every day after and during. Screw waiting for warmer weather, time to man up and get her boosting Smile

Thats what i like to hear!! Smile
Thanks given by:
Best of luck mate! We'll have to meet up again when we've both done our headgsskets lol
Thanks given by:
good man
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
when its all together again, another dyno run will be on the cards. things are gonna get chronic!
Current stable
'99 306 gti6
Thanks given by:
Im game for another dyno meet Smile hopefully ill have a car to go on this time Tongue
[Image: fe6eddc8-1731-4100-a5fe-1edb853a88b6_zpseeacf928.jpg]
Thanks given by:
But if you stop the pressure rising its only going to go down and take a rod... Big Grin

I do love this car tho.. The IC is rude

S2 HDi >click<
154bhp
280lbs/ft
Thanks given by:
(27-03-2013, 07:55 PM)Arron Wrote: But if you stop the pressure rising its only going to go down and take a rod... Big Grin

I do love this car tho.. The IC is rude

forged rods are on the cards for the near future ninja

the whole car is getting a lot ruder over the next few months, soooo much stuff in my garage waiting to go on Smile
Current stable
'99 306 gti6
Thanks given by:
HDi rods?! cheap upgrade
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
Sounds like it too. Suppose forged is the only way.... Did anyone ever work out why they chuck rods? Has any xud's ever chucked an HDI rod?

Would love to go silly with an XUD its just the bang for buck over reliability

S2 HDi >click<
154bhp
280lbs/ft
Thanks given by:
They still throw rods as regularly DW10 rods, but they are better so it's silly not to!
Thanks given by:
Forged Hdi rods are happening
Current stable
'99 306 gti6
Thanks given by:
I do find it funny how people say that HDI rods are stronger when they are exactly the same part as the XUD ones!
Team Eaton

1999 China Blue 306 GTi6 - Eaton Supercharged - 214.5bhp 181lbft
Thanks given by:
no point doing forged hdi one, just get xud ones wil save you time and money.
Thanks given by:
Had a bit of a think today about the circumstances in which the headgasket blew. i was in slow moving traffic, temp rising to the point the fans came on and thats when i lost heat from the blowers and the water temp shot up to 110. not really traditional headgasket failure circumstances really. got home today to check things out, the rad was completely empty which was worrying, got me thinking i possibly had a hydro-locked engine to deal with, but it started first time, no white smoke or anything. radiator doesnt smell of exhaust fumes and theres no oil or mayonnaise in the expansion tank, the water feels greasy but i dont think its oil,

anyway the point of all this being that im thinking its the radiator at fault, not the head. there's some pretty bad corrosion on the underside of the rad and a huge wet patch on one side, in traffic, engine gets hot water gets forced out of weak points in radiator, causes massive air lock, temp shoots up.

going to change the radiator this weekend and see if thats the case. be brilliant if it is, but could still have some head issues due to the massive temperatures it reached Sad
Current stable
'99 306 gti6
Thanks given by:
(28-03-2013, 05:27 PM)ozonehostile Wrote: Had a bit of a think today about the circumstances in which the headgasket blew. i was in slow moving traffic, temp rising to the point the fans came on and thats when i lost heat from the blowers and the water temp shot up to 110. not really traditional headgasket failure circumstances really. got home today to check things out, the rad was completely empty which was worrying, got me thinking i possibly had a hydro-locked engine to deal with, but it started first time, no white smoke or anything. radiator doesnt smell of exhaust fumes and theres no oil or mayonnaise in the expansion tank, the water feels greasy but i dont think its oil,

anyway the point of all this being that im thinking its the radiator at fault, not the head. there's some pretty bad corrosion on the underside of the rad and a huge wet patch on one side, in traffic, engine gets hot water gets forced out of weak points in radiator, causes massive air lock, temp shoots up.

going to change the radiator this weekend and see if thats the case. be brilliant if it is, but could still have some head issues due to the massive temperatures it reached Sad

My gti did exactly the same as that on the way to ace a few months back. the top of the expansion bottle was damaged not letting pressure out like it should. Got to a petrol station and put 4l of water in it and its been fine ever since! You could be lucky.
Team Eaton

1999 China Blue 306 GTi6 - Eaton Supercharged - 214.5bhp 181lbft
Thanks given by:
(28-03-2013, 05:03 PM)Niall Wrote: I do find it funny how people say that HDI rods are stronger when they are exactly the same part as the XUD ones!

Isn't it more about the year the rods where made rather than the design?
[Image: mcetg0.png]

ZR VVC Homebrew mapping project: http://306oc.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?tid=14360
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Project Truck Turbo MkII, gathering dust ozonehostile 418 199,628 29-08-2019, 09:51 PM
Last Post: Dturboleeds
  Bianca White Phase 2 Gti6 Track & Fast Road Car Chr1sch 62 20,076 22-02-2016, 01:54 PM
Last Post: Chr1sch
Wink Mark's White Phase 1 XUD Project MarkHam 13 5,192 11-03-2015, 02:10 PM
Last Post: anto