Stanced XUD Estate (IT'S ALIVEEEEahahaha)

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Stanced XUD Estate (IT'S ALIVEEEEahahaha)
Aye that's what ive been doing. But still getting an air lock around the thermostat. Going to have another go tomorrow with the front end jacked right up
[Image: signature_zps1a02ba79.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Sure the 'stats working properly?
[Image: 20A1806D-891D-40FB-BD52-AD519177A607-734...391753.jpg]
TEAM CONROD SHITTING RALLYE!
Thanks given by:
They are a bitch to bleed! Hope you get it sorted, I'm going to try and do mine again shortly!
Team Orange Engine Bay

My flickr photostream - http://www.flickr.com/photos/markairey
Thanks given by:
Did you bleed the one on the thermostat housing as well as on top of the radiator?
Thanks given by:
Aye matt, brand new one that I tested before fitting

Scott, what bleed point on the 'stat?
Thanks given by:
Scott Wrote:Did you bleed the one on the thermostat housing as well as on top of the radiator?

Wrong engine scott, get out of the Diesel section Tongue

Although there is a bolt on the right front of the filter housing next to the sensor that is just bunging a hole so I guess that would work in a fashion.......................
Team Orange Engine Bay

Thanks given by:
Ahhhh fair enough

There's a bleed point on the stat housing, on a xu engine its a Allen head bolt by the sensors. I'm not sure about Xud hopefully Scott can shed abit more light
[Image: 20A1806D-891D-40FB-BD52-AD519177A607-734...391753.jpg]
TEAM CONROD SHITTING RALLYE!
Thanks given by:
Yep, brass Allen bolt on the petrol thermostat housing. Saw the 16mm blanking plug, worked ok but engine had cooled down by that point so top hose didn't bleed.

If the heads too f*cked, how long would it take this gasket to leak? Soon as it's started or maybe when it heats up?
Thanks given by:
Ah okay, I wasn't sure if there was one there on the XUDs, so thought I'd mention just in case.
Thanks given by:
Scott Wrote:Ah okay, I wasn't sure if there was one there on the XUDs, so thought I'd mention just in case.

lol nah they are just a PITA, blowing into the header is by far the best method to get the air out mind!
Team Orange Engine Bay

Thanks given by:
It works! lmao

[Image: th_IMG_0536.jpg]

[Image: th_IMG_0537.jpg]

Nice bit of reek in the cameraface there. Just to show it works. I've now drained off some of the water and topped up with coolant concentrate so should cool properly now, thermal capacity and all that. And for anyone that wants to know, you CAN make standard fans fit with a FMIC quite easily. By doing this:

[Image: IMG_0553.jpg]

Video clicky

[Image: th_IMG_0547.jpg]

Could only squeeze one in there but might try and jam the other in too, then I need to f*ck about with wiring though whereas this one by itself just needs a simple switch. Here's hoping it works!

More tarty bits too.. rear arches have now been painted, just need to get some rubbing compound on them. Roof has been half arsedly painted where i've smoothed the roof rack mounts but that'll get painted properly in due course, not enough time or money to fanny about too much with that. Same goes for the Buick aerial, looks smart imo but isn't wired in as it's a cheap eBay one that snapped when bolting it to the roof. So I have no radio, and my Alpine lead still isn't here. And as my HU doesn't take discs, I may well be tuneless on a long drive down south!

Bought some gloss black vinyl too. Wasn't big enough to do the roof in one piece unfortunately so I cut it up and did the door pillars and rear lights.

Oh and the dash lights all work now, including full beam and glow plug lights.

Oh oh and.. I figured out why my headlight didn;t work. Damned cheap ass Depo masks, BNIB when I bought them a year ago, the pins in the main plug pushed into the housing so two wires weren't connecting properly. Fixed now though.

Yeah, words are boring, here's some pics.

[Image: IMG_0539.jpg]

[Image: IMG_0540.jpg]

[Image: IMG_0541.jpg]

[Image: IMG_0543.jpg]

[Image: IMG_0544.jpg]

[Image: IMG_0545.jpg]

[Image: IMG_0539.jpg]

[Image: IMG_0548.jpg]

[Image: IMG_0549.jpg]
Thanks given by:
stunning Big Grin
[Image: Signature.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Really coming together now mate, looking awesome!
[Image: Ty8kl7b.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Is that Xav kicking about in the first video? Glad you got it sorted Chris, all set for FCS then? Guess the head will still need a skim at some point further down the line?
Thanks given by:
Water has more thermal capacity than coolant, a lot of peope on the nurburgring use water only when on track because if it spills it doesnt make it dangerous for other drivers/riders.

Otherwise, it looks awesome mate, cant wait to see it at FCS!
[Image: Atterz.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Ah really? Weird, my gti seemed to prefer running on coolant.

Booking an MOT for Monday. Might leave the max fuel screw until after that...
Thanks given by:
nearly ready folks. all set for its MOT tomorrow.

ARB?? not necessary. cant fail what aint there lmao
[Image: 10062012746.jpg]
[Image: 10062012748.jpg]

a cheeky wee pic of the spring when it was jacked up

[Image: 10062012752.jpg]

and after getting it down the steep as fcuk driveway!

[Image: 10062012753.jpg]
Thanks given by:
xav Wrote:nearly ready folks. all set for its MOT tomorrow.

ARB?? not necessary. cant fail what aint there lmao
[Image: 10062012746.jpg]
[Image: 10062012748.jpg]

a cheeky wee pic of the spring when it was jacked up

[Image: 10062012752.jpg]

and after getting it down the steep as fcuk driveway!

[Image: 10062012753.jpg]

ARB = can fail if its cut

and the springs not being seated when jacked up they could fail aswell.
[Image: sig-1.jpg]

106 Xud9 Conversion GtiD (2nd Engine Rebuild)
SOLD

Dan! Wrote:Want me to blow this one up for you aswel?
Thanks given by:
not to worry. the springs are fine. as long as they reseat themselves it will pass. some standard setups on some cars do exactly that
Thanks given by:
You pikey. It's a 10 minute job to remove the ARB properly!!

Unseated springs are definitely a fail. Careful they don't suspect it on the mot or you might end up bolting the original shocks on for the retest.
Team Eaton

1999 China Blue 306 GTi6 - Eaton Supercharged - 214.5bhp 181lbft
Thanks given by:
Glad its up and running properly...

Im gonna hazard a guess that it drinks a little water? lol
[Image: car-1.jpg]

Member of the 99% warning or you're nothing club

2000 Moonstone 1.8 Meridian - Sold
2000 China 3dr XS - Dead
1998 Diablo 3dr XSI
Thanks given by:
Niall Wrote:You pikey. It's a 10 minute job to remove the ARB properly!!

not on this thing it aint. takes 10 mins just to get the wheels off the ground.

im sure chris will be along shortly with a write up on the days progress
Thanks given by:
That looks amazing! Gonna photo it to death at FCS... :-)
[Image: Sig3_zpscd005eb1.jpg]
Thanks given by:
xav Wrote:
Niall Wrote:You pikey. It's a 10 minute job to remove the ARB properly!!

not on this thing it aint. takes 10 mins just to get the wheels off the ground.

im sure chris will be along shortly with a write up on the days progress

Hmm fair enough.
Really hope this goes through a mot with the amount of work you've done. Mind you, you've replaced pretty much everything!
Looking forward to seeing it at fcs.
Team Eaton

1999 China Blue 306 GTi6 - Eaton Supercharged - 214.5bhp 181lbft
Thanks given by:
that looks fuuckin mint. has to be one of my fave's. top work.
[Image: newsig_zpsee86fa10.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Niall Wrote:Hmm fair enough.
Really hope this goes through a mot with the amount of work you've done. Mind you, you've replaced pretty much everything!
Looking forward to seeing it at fcs.

tbh we just cut it for quickness just to get the car out and see how everything is working on the road. the gti6 still has its ARB so we can just swap over it if need be. the mot station knows what its in for though lol.
Thanks given by:
lmao

That is all.

Will post a wee update when am on the laptop. The garage I'm using for the MOT is a friendly one, the guy remembers the work I put into the sudance and said he looks forward to MOT'ing my cars, makes a change from heaps apparently haha lol

Springs are a fail if they don't reseat, it's arguable but the design of coilies means the spring can't physically unseat, unlike say McPherson shocks and springs where the spring can fall off sideways.

As for the ARB.. erm.. The gti one will prob go on when I save up enough for Rose joints again. For now it was, erm, getting in the way. Choppy mcChop chop
Thanks given by:
Love this car! somebody needs to chop the back off and estate!
Thanks given by:
Right am on the laptop now, much easier to type!

Well what can I say? Months of hard graft and it all comes down to tomorrow. Everything seems nice and tight and the engine's running smoothly. And a bit quicker than standard. As some will know, the T2 and the Bosch came from different engines. And my suspicions are that the pump's been fiddled with as the car seems to hit 18psi by about 2.krpm and holds it until god knows when because I was on a private road I shouldn't really have been on because it's not road legal yet ninja

I think the pump's been screwed anyway, i've touched nothing apart from a Dan! special LDA, and AFAIK 18psi is NOT standard, turbo wastegate seems to be holding it at 18psi for the whole rev range though. No sign of headgasket trouble either which is a bonus!

The ARB.. well.. given that these D2's appear to be on 350lb+ springs I figured i'd roll without an ARB and see how I get on. was reducing ground clearance anyway lol Coilovers were very much bottoming out though, less travel than I first suspected, bouncing and banging all down the road. Wound them up a bit and it seems to have helped, going to try another 5-10mm tomorrow as it still bangs on large bumps. Need to raise the rear slightly now though as it seems to have a slight arse scraping now even with the boot empty. Which btw, even with the sub box fitted, is MASSIVE! So yeah ride height is going to raise a bit but only because i'd like more than 2mm suspension travel, was scary on the stops!

Couple of niggly jobs for tomorrow morning like replacing a washer jet and she's good to go. Straight to the MOT station, then the Post Office, then wherever the hell I want.
Thanks given by:
Hope she passes mate
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  rd's moonstone HDi Project - Now Stanced rd070707 99 25,713 02-05-2013, 11:05 AM
Last Post: rd070707