White phase 1, now with added truck turbo and massive head gasket failure

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
White phase 1, now with added truck turbo and massive head gasket failure
thanks mate Big Grin
[Image: sign.png]
↑ Project ↑
Thanks given by:
I really need to get the screen replaced, been out in my mates 206 gti180 today, really need a fast car back in my life. I drove into reading in shame at been in the 405 van Sad
Current stable
'09 Mercedes E320cdi wagon 
'99 306 gti6
Thanks given by:
I never saw you @ reading - what you look like? - should of come over and introduced yourself
Thanks given by:
I came in very briefly on saturday night, most people had gone Sad
Current stable
'99 306 gti6
Thanks given by:
Bollox - gonna have to wait for the mids RR meet etc then - I was still out @4am showing the kids how to drink and go clubbing and then wake up without feeling like shit Smile
Thanks given by:
(02-12-2012, 07:34 PM)ash240970 Wrote: Bollox - gonna have to wait for the mids RR meet etc then - I was still out @4am showing the kids how to drink and go clubbing and then wake up without feeling like shit Smile

haha, good on ya. but yes, mids meet is gonna be one to look forward to. picked up a '6 beam off dumdum while i was in london so yet another thing to get done by january.
Current stable
'99 306 gti6
Thanks given by:
So while im waiting to get the damaged screen sorted, started some other jobs:
First up, 11mm fuel pump
[Image: IMAG0480.jpg]
[Image: IMAG0482.jpg]

Picked up a gti beam on the weekend (thanks Dum-Dum) will be cleaning it up and powdercoating
[Image: IMAG0483.jpg]
Current stable
'99 306 gti6
Thanks given by:
and finally after nearly a month, tomorrow will be the day the roof and screen finally get fixed lol.
also been working on the 11mm pump, not very interesting but been giving it a thorough clean and grinding down the lda pin a little bit more for that ultra aggressive fueling .
just waiting to collect my new bonnet now and its back on the road Smile
Current stable
'99 306 gti6
Thanks given by:
iv been looking at a white ph1 5door and i wasnt sold on the 5 doors but seeing this and also gretsch on .net i think im gonna go and buy it lol

great build mate well done
Vehicle repair and servicing in the midlands pm for details 

Current cars
Subaru Impreza 2.0d - Daily
306 1.8 - track whore soon to be GTI6
Thanks given by:
td_dan[align=justify' Wrote: ' dateline='1354963176']
iv been looking at a white ph1 5door and i wasnt sold on the 5 doors but seeing this and also gretsch on .net i think im gonna go and buy it lol

great build mate well done

Thanks for the appreciation mate, wasn't too keen on a five door myself, but as soon as I saw it I knew it has to be that one. Also been a 5 door, the insurance don't class It as a sports model even with all the mods, so slightly cheaper haha[/align]
Current stable
'99 306 gti6
Thanks given by:
Today involved removing the destroyed bonnet, roof lining and other bits of trim and the sun roof. massive farce just to replace a smashed windscreen!!
Current stable
'99 306 gti6
Thanks given by:
Just finished stripping the interior needed to replace the screen, and f*ck me an electric sunroof is heavy!!

In the interests of acceleration im tempted not to put it back in, but what to block the hole with?

has anyone else blanked off a sunroof, thinking either welding on a plate, but that would look gash unless I spent hours grinding it down, sanding it and filling it, not to mention the cost of having the roof re-sprayed. perhaps replace the heavy glass with perspex or something? I dunno

Any suggestions would be appreciated Smile
Current stable
'99 306 gti6
Thanks given by:
Weld, filler sand then vinyl it.
Thanks given by:
Quick rummage around at work has produced a huge sheet of 12mm thick Lexan (the stuff they use for toughened glass on forestry equipment and stuff like that) I reckon this will be a good replacement for the heavy glass sunroof and sliding mechanism, il get a template made of the original then send the plastic to be machined with a flange around the edge so that i can bond it into the roof. Aswel as saving a fair few kg's this should also restore rigidity to the roof so that its not that far off been the same as a non sunroof shell.
glad I had this stuff at work that I can have for free as a quick internet search later I found out that lexan is £2400 for a sheet!!!
Current stable
'99 306 gti6
Thanks given by:
12mm is a bit overkill! Personally i'd just lob some 6mm stuff in with tigerseal
[Image: signature_zps1a02ba79.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Thin bit of alloy and a rivet gun!
Thanks given by:
(09-12-2012, 05:16 PM)sean-306 Wrote: Thin bit of alloy and a rivet gun!

I did that on a mini track car, certainly does the job but I want to keep it looking smooth and all the work that goes with flatting it down and respraying the roof in order to get it looking half decent is something id rather not do.
but it could still happen depending on how much its going to be to get this plastic machined to the spec i want

(09-12-2012, 05:14 PM)cwspellowe Wrote: 12mm is a bit overkill! Personally i'd just lob some 6mm stuff in with tigerseal

Did consider a thin piece, but by using a 12mm piece i can get it machined with a flange around the edge so that its like a top hat sort of shape, that way i can bond it in using the flange on the underside of the roof skin and get a perfect fit in the opening
Current stable
'99 306 gti6
Thanks given by:
Might take the sunroof out of mine! Sounds like you know what your doing chap. Nice one Smile
Doesnt even own a 306.
Thanks given by:
That's the best way mate, is the 12mm stuff heavy?
Now only a has been!!

www.autorite-sport.co.uk
Thanks given by:
You should bring this to rolling road day im organizing Wink
[Image: fe6eddc8-1731-4100-a5fe-1edb853a88b6_zpseeacf928.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Why were you removing the sunroof to replace the windscreen ?
On the 306 waiting list.
Thanks given by:
I know where there is a non sunroof roof skin lol
Thanks given by:
(09-12-2012, 07:07 PM)Tallguy_2 Wrote: That's the best way mate, is the 12mm stuff heavy?

the full sheet id say weighs about 4 or 5 kg, so a sunroof sized cutout of that i would guess weighs just under a kilo, maybe less. It certainly weighs nothing in comparison the the glass sunroof and the sliding mechanism, that weighs about the same as a medium sized car battery!

(09-12-2012, 07:17 PM)Jake Wrote: Why were you removing the sunroof to replace the windscreen ?

to accomodate the electric sunroof mechanism the roof lining had a big box section that runs from the front all the way to the rear light, because the roof lining is a good couple of inches lower than a non sunroof car you cant see the top of the screen so cutting around the seal is impossible without taking the roof lining off, but the reason ive taken the whole lot out is because the dent in the roof needs sorting before the new glass goes in, therefore sunroof out Smile

(09-12-2012, 07:14 PM)sam Wrote: You should bring this to rolling road day im organizing Wink

im going to a midlands rr meet in january, whensd yours planned for mate?
could be useful as i plan to leave the engine as it is now (9mm fuel pump) for the january meet, then put the 11mm pump im building on and get it dynod again to see what it gains Smile

(09-12-2012, 07:04 PM)Tom Wrote: Might take the sunroof out of mine! Sounds like you know what your doing chap. Nice one Smile

if your in pursuit of weight saving then getting rid of the sunroof should be the first thing you do, it weighs bloody loads! its like having a car battery bolted the roof in terms of how heavy it is
Current stable
'99 306 gti6
Thanks given by:
2nd feb dude
Thanks given by:
(09-12-2012, 08:31 PM)sam Wrote: 2nd feb dude

cool. you got a thread up for it in the meets section yet?
Current stable
'99 306 gti6
Thanks given by:
Yep Smile
Thanks given by:
The 11mm pump is almost finished, all the internals are done, just putting it back together now and cleaning it up. also some color coding to match the car. Anyway, pictures for your eyes

back in one piece
[Image: IMAG0505.jpg]

polished up a bit
[Image: IMAG0501.jpg]

color coding pump bits
[Image: IMAG0507.jpg]

what itl look like finished, not quite there yet though as the white bits are only in primer currently, but you get the idea
[Image: IMAG0508.jpg]
Current stable
'99 306 gti6
Thanks given by:
Will look good mate !

looking forward on seeing the finished product Wink
Thanks given by:
just plate it up, iv done it on my 205 and im painting the roof black to hide it job done lol
Vehicle repair and servicing in the midlands pm for details 

Current cars
Subaru Impreza 2.0d - Daily
306 1.8 - track whore soon to be GTI6
Thanks given by:
This car looks great, the front mount is class. If you ever have the engine out could you snap me some exhaust manifold pictures Smile
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Project Truck Turbo MkII, gathering dust ozonehostile 418 199,625 29-08-2019, 09:51 PM
Last Post: Dturboleeds
  Bianca White Phase 2 Gti6 Track & Fast Road Car Chr1sch 62 20,076 22-02-2016, 01:54 PM
Last Post: Chr1sch
Wink Mark's White Phase 1 XUD Project MarkHam 13 5,192 11-03-2015, 02:10 PM
Last Post: anto