306 Wheel fitment + lowering... help?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
306 Wheel fitment + lowering... help?
Want to put my car on banded steels, but have no idea where to start with sizes etc. It needs lowering first, I'm thinking about 60mm... so what size rims and tyres would go best, I'm not too keen on tyre stretch but dont mind a bit, and I wouldn't mind a bit of camber. Can anyone shed some light? #
And is it a case of just lowering them and whacking the wheels on, or am I going to need my arches cut/rolled at all...

Also... after a lowered rear beam + coilovers (unless anyone in the souths willing to help me lower mine then just some coilovers... and maybe some rear shocks if necessary)

Cheers, Laurence.
Thanks given by:
Banded steels bit boring imo.
Cant really camber due to rear beam its possible but expensive.
Me and mate can do beams but.its risky dueto not knowing if the bearings are gonna fall to pieces in the axle

Also mite have some60mm springs for sale
[Image: av5ym8.jpg]
Thanks given by:
(23-10-2013, 08:42 PM)Jimbo Wrote: Banded steels bit boring imo.
Cant really camber due to rear beam its possible but expensive.
Me and mate can do beams but.its risky dueto not knowing if the bearings are gonna fall to pieces in the axle

mm, each to their own... could just get some standard 306 ones refurbed and powdercoated I suppose..

If the bearings fall to bits, is it a massive job to replace them?
Thanks given by:
Its.normally a pain because theres two sets in either side. Once.they have failed theres so much rust in the tube putting new bearings in and setting distance between the two is a bitch. However most beams ph2/3are ok so long as the top of wheels aint leaning in
Thanks given by:
THere was a thread on this 2 weeks ago if you search
Thanks given by:
(23-10-2013, 08:46 PM)Jimbo Wrote: Its.normally a pain because theres two sets in either side. Once.they have failed theres so much rust in the tube putting new bearings in and setting distance between the two is a bitch. However most beams ph2/3are ok so long as the top of wheels aint leaning in

dont think they are... it's ph3 but i'l check tomorrow anyway.

(23-10-2013, 08:49 PM)Dum-Dum Wrote: THere was a thread on this 2 weeks ago if you search

oops sorry i'll look..
Thanks given by:
If you dont want streched tyres the most your really going to get in a 306 arch is a 7J which is totally pointless having steels banded for an extra 0.5 of an inch (gigity) unless you start doing mass amountd of arch work.

Sounds to me like you'd be better off going for the 16" steels like dum has that are already 7J IIRC

[Image: DSC_0190-Copy_zpsf093f84d.jpg]
Member of 99% warning or your nothing club!

Thanks given by:
(24-10-2013, 09:13 AM)puglove Wrote: If you dont want streched tyres the most your really going to get in a 306 arch is a 7J which is totally pointless having steels banded for an extra 0.5 of an inch (gigity) unless you start doing mass amountd of arch work.

Sounds to me like you'd be better off going for the 16" steels like dum has that are already 7J IIRC

Stretched sounds the way forward then! although I'm starting to be tempted by a set of cyclones...
Thanks given by:
Most say clones are boring and common.
But tbh they suit the car so well
Thanks given by:
(24-10-2013, 05:35 PM)Jimbo Wrote: Most say clones are boring and common.
But tbh they suit the car so well

+1

[Image: DSC_0190-Copy_zpsf093f84d.jpg]
Member of 99% warning or your nothing club!

Thanks given by:
They do look nice on them... Need to sort out the height first though.. Calling out to be lowered
Thanks given by:
Don't go for Cyclones IMO Sleepy.

Fitment will depend on a few things... I'd suggest 15" steels, because a. they're the perfect size for a 306 and b. tyres are significantly cheaper.

You want to go for at least 8" wide to bother with getting them banded, then 195/45/15s will get you some stretch to help with fitment but not a huge amount.

You'll almost definitely need some arch work, but rolling them isn't hard at all. It also depends on what you have for how much space you have - it's easier on 3dr than it is on a 5dr.
Thanks given by:
(24-10-2013, 06:23 PM)Curt Wrote: Don't go for Cyclones IMO Sleepy.

Fitment will depend on a few things... I'd suggest 15" steels, because a. they're the perfect size for a 306 and b. tyres are significantly cheaper.

You want to go for at least 8" wide to bother with getting them banded, then 195/45/15s will get you some stretch to help with fitment but not a huge amount.

You'll almost definitely need some arch work, but rolling them isn't hard at all. It also depends on what you have for how much space you have - it's easier on 3dr than it is on a 5dr.

Ahh right cheers for that, appeal of cyclones is they're not expensive, don't need work to be fitted and look fairly smart. Do Ike the look of banded steelers though. And I've got a 5 door Sad
Thanks given by:
Im really not sure why everyone goes for steels they just look shit IMO
Thanks given by:
(24-10-2013, 06:29 PM)laurence_13 Wrote: Ahh right cheers for that, appeal of cyclones is they're not expensive, don't need work to be fitted and look fairly smart. Do Ike the look of banded steelers though. And I've got a 5 door Sad

No worries. Yeah that's the advantage, they're just so common. If you can get the steels cheap, then I think you can get them done for around £40 a corner. I believe there's a place near you but can't remember the name. 5 door isn't too bad, just less room on the back is all.

(24-10-2013, 06:31 PM)Jimbo Wrote: Im really not sure why everyone goes for steels they just look shit IMO

Not everyone does go for them, and it's just that, an opinion...
Thanks given by:
(24-10-2013, 06:31 PM)Jimbo Wrote: Im really not sure why everyone goes for steels they just look shit IMO

Dont really know, just like the look of them... I love the 205 pepperpot speedlines as well but I think they'd look a bit out of place haha

(24-10-2013, 06:35 PM)Curt Wrote: No worries. Yeah that's the advantage, they're just so common. If you can get the steels cheap, then I think you can get them done for around £40 a corner. I believe there's a place near you but can't remember the name. 5 door isn't too bad, just less room on the back is all.

Not everyone does go for them, and it's just that, an opinion...

hmm I'll have to have a look for them then.. theres some clones for sale on ebay just down the road from me with minor scuffs, but cheap enough to consider buying and refurbing them. Not sure if they'd look good in gun metal or not though... I'm too indecisive haha
Thanks given by:
205 Speedlines are quite a common sight on 306s, and suit them very well in most cases.

What colour is your car? Anthracite is usually a fairly safe bet on most however.
Thanks given by:
(24-10-2013, 09:42 PM)Curt Wrote: 205 Speedlines are quite a common sight on 306s, and suit them very well in most cases.

What colour is your car? Anthracite is usually a fairly safe bet on most however.

China blue.. I could find them with the 205 speedlines, but not the ones I meant.

[Image: images1_zps1f4e4610.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Dont go wider than 8" wheels imo, and if your only lowering by 60mm you'll have loads of room.
Thanks given by:
(24-10-2013, 10:33 PM)ConorTRG Wrote: Dont go wider than 8" wheels imo, and if your only lowering by 60mm you'll have loads of room.

Nice.. Cheers for that Smile
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Wheel bearing noise after lowering Msparksdturbo 2 1,238 18-06-2013, 08:01 PM
Last Post: Msparksdturbo
  Wheel fitment and spacing ect help needed Adam661 2 1,253 02-06-2013, 02:20 PM
Last Post: Adam661
  Wheel fitment Jukie88 23 7,144 24-01-2013, 09:06 PM
Last Post: Jukie88