Adjusting handbreak 1999 306 V reg

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Adjusting handbreak 1999 306 V reg
I have a 1999 306 that needs the handbrake adjusted...I took off the center console to find the adjusting nut and for some reason there is none there. The car is a 1.4 meridan. It is supposed to be where the ashtray is. Could it be elsewhere, also the rear brakes are pads and not disc.
Thanks given by:
look under the carpet by the handbrake it is under a flap
Don't worry about what I'm doing, I want you to worry about what you're doing
Thanks given by:
Best off adjusting each cable on the drum! But you can do it behind handbrake! Take the canter console out, little flap under the handbrake, nut under there! Take ashtray out and there is a nut there also, then you'll see adjuster at the back of the lever
[Image: SDC10442-1.jpg]
Thanks given by:
yeah first unwind the nut under the centre console...
then properly adjust the shoes at the drums...then take the slack up in the cables with the nut.
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
I always just tightended the bolt at the rear of the second lower centre console section.
Thanks given by:
(10-01-2013, 09:42 PM)fescis@yahoo.com Wrote: I have a 1999 306 that needs the handbrake adjusted...I took off the center console to find the adjusting nut and for some reason there is none there. The car is a 1.4 meridan. It is supposed to be where the ashtray is. Could it be elsewhere, also the rear brakes are pads and not disc.

Not gonna work particularly well with pads but no disc. I think you mean it's drums and shoes, rather than discs and pads. Smile

Should be adjusted at each drum before the handbrake lever really as the autoadjusters never work properly. Then as said, under the rear part of the centre section, lift the carpet flap, let the handbrake off and the threaded bar and nut should be easily visible.
Thanks given by:
(12-01-2013, 01:51 PM)Toms306 Wrote:
(10-01-2013, 09:42 PM)fescis@yahoo.com Wrote: I have a 1999 306 that needs the handbrake adjusted...I took off the center console to find the adjusting nut and for some reason there is none there. The car is a 1.4 meridan. It is supposed to be where the ashtray is. Could it be elsewhere, also the rear brakes are pads and not disc.

Not gonna work particularly well with pads but no disc. I think you mean it's drums and shoes, rather than discs and pads. Smile

Should be adjusted at each drum before the handbrake lever really as the autoadjusters never work properly. Then as said, under the rear part of the centre section, lift the carpet flap, let the handbrake off and the threaded bar and nut should be easily visible.

LOL yes they are shoes, I noticed my mistake after I hit send. I didn't lift the carpet flap to see if it was there. Thanks mate.
Thanks given by:
(12-01-2013, 01:46 PM)SRowell Wrote: I always just tightended the bolt at the rear of the second lower centre console section.

all your doing is tightening the cables...not the best way
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
It's actually the only way if you have a disc beam piggy. There's no adjustment on the calipers.
[Image: k6f9Fk]

Member of the 99% warning or you're nothing club
Thanks given by:
depends whats happening...if its after a pad/and or discs change...I dont adjust the cable or use handbrake for few miles to allow the auto adjusters to click into place as they bed in...

then the cable.

But thats just me.

Just wish the calipers, like a few other manufacturers, had external adjustment screws.
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
Calipers are self adjusting though, why would you want to make that more difficult!? Confused.
Thanks given by:
after you've changed rear discs/pads you have to pump brake pedal before using handbrake or you fubar the mech
Don't worry about what I'm doing, I want you to worry about what you're doing
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  adjusting rear drums philpemberton94 12 2,373 19-09-2014, 01:42 PM
Last Post: philpemberton94
  Adjusting the height of the torsion bar Edy 4 1,440 27-06-2013, 07:48 AM
Last Post: puglove
  Camber adjusting bolts for 306? jbppug 11 2,328 27-09-2012, 12:24 AM
Last Post: samass