I'm hearing this weird noise

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I'm hearing this weird noise
Hi this is my first post on here, and unfortunately I came here because I have some problems with my 306.

It's a 1997 hatchback 19 diesel, and lately I'm hearing this noise coming from the front wheel (driver's side) it's like something is bumping. you can't hear it while idling however you can hear it when like for example going downhill on neutral (it's a stick shift/manual gears) it gets louder when you're going downhill and quiter when going uphill (don't know if this has to do with anything I'm just trying to give as much details as possible) also I can hear it more when I steer on the left.

I've asked around and I heard that 306 suffer from wishbones however whenever I'm moving and I let the steering wheel go, the car doesn't steer into any direction, just keeps going straight like it should do it has power steering but I don't know if that's even related.. If for example I'm going at 30km/h and I hear the sound once every second, if I accelerate to 40km/h the sound gets more repetitive and you can hear it twice a second (this is only an estimation so that you guys can understand me better)

If any more information is needed pls let me know.

P.S. Please know I'm no mechanic and I don't know anything about cars, I'm only here because my mechanic said he can't figure it out (or maybe he just didn't feel like working on my car or maybe doesn't like me) and I'm not planning on doing the work myself, just for general knowledge and perhaps tell the new mechanic to check what you guys think is the problem..

Thanks in advance and sorry for the trouble.
Thanks given by:
It could be a CV joint starting to go mate, especially if you hear it more when steering........
Thanks given by:
cv joint i heard random noises then a week later it exploded leaving me with no final drive and had to be recovered. you got abs?
Don't worry about what I'm doing, I want you to worry about what you're doing
Thanks given by:
Ed is that you??
Thanks given by:
(16-11-2012, 04:50 PM)cully Wrote: Ed is that you??

lmfao!
Thanks given by:
Might be a bit of the wheel arch trim loose and hitting the wheel?
EDIT: Welcome to the forum!!
'99 Ph3 Diablo Gti(Victor) Dead
Astor 'X' 4 GTi6-6 - SOLD! Sad
'08 LY Renault Megane RS 230 F1 Team R26 - GONE
'56 BMW Z4 Coupe 3.0si Sport - SCHWIIIING!
Thanks given by:
(16-11-2012, 04:48 PM)Kwik Wrote: cv joint i heard random noises then a week later it exploded leaving me with no final drive and had to be recovered. you got abs?

Thank you all for the very quick replies..

lol can't really answer the abs question mate, I bought mine second hand, is there a way I can know? *blush* Sorry I'm just a noobie.

Could it be the wishbone rubber maybe it's gone and needs replacement?
Thanks given by:
if you pop bonnet and look between passenger headlight and battery there will be either a empty space or a black and silver unit with several thin black metal lines going into it. if you have that unit you have abs
Thanks given by:
I actually found this video I made a few months ago it's not related to my problem as I only had it for a few days now but maybe you can see since it's dark where I live so I can't really answer your abs question now

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K2Ew0vKay5o
Thanks given by:
no abs as your airfilter is there. go on to www.eurocarparts.com or http://www.gsfcarparts.com/ and enter your reg and look in transmission for cv joint kits and see how much it will be
Thanks given by:
(16-11-2012, 05:37 PM)Kwik Wrote: no abs as your airfilter is there. go on to www.eurocarparts.com or http://www.gsfcarparts.com/ and enter your reg and look in transmission for cv joint kits and see how much it will be

Thanks, I'll see what the mechanic says but I'll tell him to check the joints out
Thanks given by:
Just a little update:

I went to meet another mechanic, and he said the problem is the ball joint because from what he heard during driving and also the wheel wobbled when he shook it with his hands with the car not moving and engine turned off..

So hopefully that's not that expensive, then he gave me some good news, he thought that my car had a turbo since it was so quick when he gave it a little throttle and although I don't even know the guy he called me crazy when I told him I had plans of selling it he said I should keep it. (At least that made me happy)

Anyway, thought I should let you guys know what's going on so far, now he took it to his garage and he'll inspect it even better there and he'll give me a call tomorrow.

EDIT: Turned out to be the tyre rod
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Weird banging noise when braking, advice needed. Spoonaltap 19 2,772 27-01-2017, 05:52 PM
Last Post: Spoonaltap
  weird noise? paul7278 10 2,071 09-09-2013, 08:27 AM
Last Post: pugjohn306