Group N engine mounts?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Group N engine mounts?
I need to change some of the engine mounts on my cabby (2.0 16v) and so was gonna sort all 3 at once.

Was just wondering how bad the vibrations are at idle on them with a nice smooth petrol engine. I had them on my HDi and you could feel the whole car tingling at idle even though it had a balanced bottom end.

I want to keep the cabby relatively softly set up as it is a daily drive but i loved the lack of engine movement when I had them in the diesel so the question is will i get upset with them or not.
Thanks given by:
Also just looked on service box and all 3 mounts are £114.18 inc VAT from Pug so with my discount thatll be £102.76

From Baker BM the Group N kit is £115.20 inc VAT Delivered.
Thanks given by:
I know I would. Mine is silky smooth!
If your doing the bottom mount, have you got a press? If so, fancy doing mine? Mines f*cked and needs replacing
Team Eaton

1999 China Blue 306 GTi6 - Eaton Supercharged - 214.5bhp 181lbft
Thanks given by:
with the HDi, was it too rough for daily use? my engine rocks severely, and Baker BM are within pissing distance of me..
Thanks given by:
NiallHarper Wrote:I know I would. Mine is silky smooth!
If your doing the bottom mount, have you got a press? If so, fancy doing mine? Mines f*cked and needs replacing

I dont have a press but i have a plan.

Im buying a bottom engine mount cradle off poodles cabby so i can go and get someone to press in the mount while my car still moves under its own power then ill be able to swap the whole lot without the faff.

Ill sell you the cradle afterwards if you want.
Thanks given by:
I want to avoid taking the drive shaft out. Pain in the arse job. I reckon if I replaced it with a 2 part powerflex mount, I could press it in under the car.
Team Eaton

Thanks given by:
Top 2 group N with a standard lower rotated 90*

Going to be doing the hdi with that setup when I get round to doing them.
[Image: sig.jpg]
Thanks given by:
lh_4827 Wrote:with the HDi, was it too rough for daily use? my engine rocks severely, and Baker BM are within pissing distance of me..

It was too rough for sitting in traffic.

They feel fantastic when your on the move though, the whole car feels more predictable on the limit cos the engine isnt throwing its weight around and knocking you off course.
Thanks given by:
NiallHarper Wrote:I want to avoid taking the drive shaft out. Pain in the arse job. I reckon if I replaced it with a 2 part powerflex mount, I could press it in under the car.

Burn the old one out then use a couple of G clamps and some blocks of wood then.
Personally I think it would be less effort to remove the shaft.
Thanks given by:
Dum-Dum Wrote:
NiallHarper Wrote:I want to avoid taking the drive shaft out. Pain in the arse job. I reckon if I replaced it with a 2 part powerflex mount, I could press it in under the car.

Burn the old one out then use a couple of G clamps and some blocks of wood then.
Personally I think it would be less effort to remove the shaft.

Hmm might get a garage to do it. Me and my gearbox don't get on well at all lol.
Team Eaton

Thanks given by:
I'm going for the powerflex bottom engine mount and the rest are going to be Baker BM.
[Image: Foxy2.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Powerflex ones are easy as they just push in by hand, and to remove the old one just get a chisel, and a hammer, and cut . smash the side right out of it, soon gets it out!

As for harder mounts in your petrol, should be fine Id have thought....
| Dyno Power Runs & Steady State Facilities Available, Just Ask Anytime |
| #DervMafia |

[Image: sigi-2.png]
Thanks given by:
I can cope with them in my Diesel...

Birds LOVE the ride!
(16-05-2016, 10:45 AM)Toms306 Wrote: Oh I don't care about the stripped threads lol, that's easily solved by hammering the bolt in. Wink
Nanstone GTD5 GT17S - XUD9TE
Volvo V50 D5 R-Design SE Sport - Daily cruise wagon.
Thanks given by:
Just ordered all my mounts so should be here by the end of the week!
Thanks given by:
Group N mounts on a 6 still vibrate at idle, so take that in to account. I would personally go GENUINE Pug lower mount with the 2 uppers solid/group N.
[Image: Atterz.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Atterz Wrote:Group N mounts on a 6 still vibrate at idle, so take that in to account. I would personally go GENUINE Pug lower mount with the 2 uppers solid/group N.

Why?
Thanks given by:
Because its the Lower Group N mount that causes the vibration. Therefore but using the upper mounts to limit the movement (combined with a chock on the top mount to further reduce it) with a Genuine Pug lower mount (Genuine because pattern part mounts are utter utter shite!) then you should get the effect you desire.
[Image: Atterz.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Atterz Wrote:Because its the Lower Group N mount that causes the vibration. Therefore but using the upper mounts to limit the movement (combined with a chock on the top mount to further reduce it) with a Genuine Pug lower mount (Genuine because pattern part mounts are utter utter shite!) then you should get the effect you desire.

Makes sense
Thanks given by:
I will also let you know what they are like on my 1.4!
Thanks given by:
Just bought a set so its too late now LOL
Thanks given by:
Did you buy the full set or get all but the lower and a powerflex lower mount?
Thanks given by:
Full Set mate.
Thanks given by:
Nice! Mine have arrived today!
Thanks given by:
Cool, hoping to have mine tomorrow
Thanks given by:
Fitted my top mount and gear box mount today and made up some chocks for the top mount too so it cant swing about even if it wants to and Ive gotta say Id forgotten how much they make the dash vibrate
Thanks given by:
Haha is it bad? Still haven't done mine yet.
Thanks given by:
Its not BAD but its annoying and its not just on idle, if i hold it at 2k it still rattles, its alright after that
Thanks given by:
Done about 10 miles on them now and theyer definitely softening up, theyer fine if a little tingly on hot idle, cold idle aint great, theres some horrible resonant frequencies between 1500 and 2500 but after that its now fine however my engine is still throwing itself forwards (although nowhere near as bad) when i let off the throttle.

So now I definitely need a new bottom mount I have the group n one in my garage but do i take Atterz advice and fit a gen pug one or do i fit the grp n cos i really CBA with taking the mount off twice
Thanks given by:
Just put the group N one on! Im putting the powerflex one on mine!
Thanks given by:
Im getting too old for cars that shake on idle and arent happy with anything less than a flat out ragg.
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Engine mounts Ben Jay 15 2,845 08-02-2012, 02:02 PM
Last Post: Foxy-jim
  Engine Mounts burnmw 30 6,357 27-01-2012, 04:52 PM
Last Post: Foxy-jim