Engine Mounts

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Engine Mounts
Evening all,

Car: 1.9TD GLX ('97 Ph2).

Got a bit of a problem, well, I have and I haven't. Essentially the car "doesn't feel right", now a lot of you will know what I mean, whilst out and about the car just doesn't feel right. I can't pinpoint it, neither are there any real symptoms, other than it's just not what it used to feel like. It's been like this for several weeks and I've had it up in the air and checked all the front end etc and nothing is loose or out of place.

Whilst driving home tonight I've narrowed it down (I think) to a feeling that there is too much feedback, both through the wheel and through the pedals/bodywork. The engine sounds fine, it's something more "suspensiony", if that makes sense? For instance I noticed tonight that my arms were tired as I was gripping the wheel more tightly, but that could be in my head? Other than that it sometimes feels like the car is on ice for a fraction of a second, or that there is a split second between me turning the wheel and the wheels responding (had it up and even turning the steering wheel a minute amount the wheels turn in unison).

Anyway, I know that my engine mounts are on their way out (clunking on start up/speeding up/slowing down etc, usual mount symptoms). My question is really, could the failing mounts be causing my extra feedback? My thought process being that if the engine is rattling around then I will be feeling more vibrations etc?

Cheers all!
[Image: 306Green5DrSig.png]
Thanks given by:
subframe loose?
Thanks given by:
lh_4827 Wrote:subframe loose?

Could be I guess.

Just thought I'd add, one of my first thoughts was low tyre pressures, so I've checked them and they are all fine.
Thanks given by:
If it was a feeling that made you check your tyres have you considered that it might be worn dampers?
Thanks given by:
Dum-Dum Wrote:If it was a feeling that made you check your tyres have you considered that it might be worn dampers?

Considered but I have no idea how to check them Sad
Thanks given by:
To checks shocks/dampers push down on the corner of the car, it should only go down and up, anymore than one bounce and they are worn
[Image: 20A1806D-891D-40FB-BD52-AD519177A607-734...391753.jpg]
TEAM CONROD SHITTING RALLYE!
Thanks given by:
Matt Wrote:To checks shocks/dampers push down on the corner of the car, it should only go down and up, anymore than one bounce and they are worn

Tested them this morning, one good bounce then little "waves" if you like. Seem fine to me.

In fact, the car seemed a lot better this morning :roll: My new mounts have just arrived so I shall be fitting them Saturday morning Big Grin
Thanks given by:
burnmw Wrote:... one good bounce then little "waves" if you like. Seem fine to me.

Might be your poor description, or maybe just by bad interpretation, but that shounds like worn dampers to me. Should literally just push don on the car it it spring back up and stop, no 'little waves'......
Thanks given by:
I was thinking worn shocks aswell when I read the OP.

They have any leakage at all?
[Image: c6769879.jpg] TEAM TRACK CAR + An E60 530d M-Sport for the daily
Thanks given by:
Ditto, sounds exactly like worn shocks. Had an "on ice" moment myself when i first got the cabby, car went straight on at a bumpy corner even though i was only doing thirty where i'd normally do fifty, shit me right up. New shocks fixed it.

As the others say, should be one and a quarter oscillations (iirc) then stop, none of this "little waves" business, that's just more oscillations and means you need new dampers.
306 HDi Deathtrap - 130bhp / 220lbft
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
Dan! Wrote:
burnmw Wrote:... one good bounce then little "waves" if you like. Seem fine to me.

Might be your poor description, or maybe just by bad interpretation, but that shounds like worn dampers to me. Should literally just push don on the car it it spring back up and stop, no 'little waves'......

Think it's just my poor description to be honest! Checked it again tonight, and checked against both the GF's cars and they are all the same. So I think it was just my description.
Thanks given by:
OMG I can't believe that £50's worth of rubber could bring such a big smile to my face ThumbsUp

Just changed the mounts, and what a difference. No knocking at all, nothing when you switch it on, nothing when you pull off, nothing when you change gear, nothing when you brake, nothing when you switch the engine off, nothing at all!!

It feels so much better to drive, however something still isn't 100% right so I'll get it tracked, re-check tyre pressures etc etc and hope that solves it. The other thing is the rear beam is going to get changed when I've got the cash so I'm hoping that will solve it. Having seen the amount of difference changing the engine mounts has made I'm confident that the rear beam mounts will be f*cked as well.

Anyway, I'll chuck some pics up later of the mounts that I've removed ThumbsUp

EDIT: For anyone thinking of changing their mounts, make sure you have a friend on hand when putting the drivers side back in as the engine needs pulling forward to re-align the bolts. Also, the drivers side mount is an arse to get out, I used a hammer/screw driver on the "dipped" parts of the mount to undo it.
Thanks given by:
Just because your gf's does the same, doesn't mean it's not broked Wink Have you had a look at the shocks at all, check for leaks/boot damage/scoring, etc?

Re needing a friend to do the top mount try this: get the mount in one hand and engine in t'other, then man up Tongue lol
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
How hard was it to change the engine mounts? need to do mine
[Image: 306ocsig_edited-1-1.jpg]

306 HDI, soon to be XUD
Thanks given by:
Engine mounts are easy enough fella, just don't fall into the trap of doing both at the same time. Wink Unless you mean the bottom one, in which case it's a bitch and you'll need a press.
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
Or use a powerflex polybush lower mount, you don't need a press then!
[Image: Foxy2.jpg]
Thanks given by:
^ but how do you get the old one out? :p
Thanks given by:
sweeney1987 Wrote:^ but how do you get the old one out? :p

STOP!

Hammer time lol
306oc Chat Wrote:15:30: Toms306 - :Genuinely thought it was gonna explode when I was playing with Sam
22:57: SRowell - :wtf why didnt you try harder to make me come!
[Image: connorsig.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Or use a hacksaw and cut it out haha. Just destroy it, you arent going to use it again!
Thanks given by:
Blowtorch :-)
[Image: IMG_20130925_181339_zps95df48fa.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Its the top mounts Smile, so its ok for me to take one side out at a time? and the other one will support it enough?

306 HDI, soon to be XUD
Thanks given by:
It should do just don't take ages to change it. When doing the bottom one you need to jack the engine up. And when doing the gearbox.
Thanks given by:
When doing the gearbox mount you must jack up the gearbox (piece of wood on top of the jack, just lift the jack enough to support the 'box, don't actually lift it). When doing either of the other two you must do the same but under the sump.
Thanks given by:
burnmw Wrote:When doing the gearbox mount you must jack up the gearbox (piece of wood on top of the jack, just lift the jack enough to support the 'box, don't actually lift it). When doing either of the other two you must do the same but under the sump.

What he said.

The only ball ache is that unless your jack is really low or your car really high you have to jack he car up and put it on stands to be able to actually be able to get the jack under the engine otherwise you could do the whole job with the car on the floor.
Thanks given by:
Or use the scissor jack pug supply in the boot!
Thanks given by:
I wouldnt be happy that the engine was sitting on the head of that properly, Id want a proper jack cos you dont want the engine falling off it.
Thanks given by:
We only used the scissor jack for the gearbox.
Thanks given by:
Scissor jacks terrify me, was under the car using one of the before, didn't feel safe at all

306 HDI, soon to be XUD
Thanks given by:
Not safe using a scissor jack since I was repairing my exhaust. Jacked it up went under sorted it and then putting the tools back the jack started to bend. Not good
[Image: 20A1806D-891D-40FB-BD52-AD519177A607-734...391753.jpg]
TEAM CONROD SHITTING RALLYE!
Thanks given by:
I would never work under my car using a scissor jack!
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Engine mounts Ben Jay 15 2,846 08-02-2012, 02:02 PM
Last Post: Foxy-jim
  Group N engine mounts? Dum-Dum 39 8,395 21-01-2012, 10:25 PM
Last Post: Chris