rattling brake caliper

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
rattling brake caliper
The front caliper on my HDi (Lucas) seems to be pretty loose on the passenger side, it's not the carrier>hub bolts, and the slider bolts themselves are tight, there must just be excess wear in the bushings in the carrier. I've had the caliper off and looked at the sliders and although a bit worn the wear doesn't relate to how much play there is in the caliper.

What I can't find is much talk of the bushings in the carrier being replaced, only a few threads on a US based BMW forum. I could buy new sliders and hope the extra few tenths of a MM soloves the problem but I don't think it will.

Other choice is a carrier from the breakers (£80 new from Peugeot) and just try and get lucky with a low mileage one!

Seems odd most people have trouble with them being to tight/rusted/stuck and I'm having the opposite...

ahhh the rattle plates are built in, so no problems there I think (http://i.imgur.com/c7xjbbp.jpg)

Any ideas guys?
Thanks given by:
Probably the slider pins and the caliper holes being worn if he caliper seems loose on the carrier but all the bolts are tight. Not much to be done really, good excuse for an upgrade tho
[Image: k6f9Fk]

Member of the 99% warning or you're nothing club
Thanks given by:
Disks and pads are relatively new :-(
What would be the conventional upgrade from here?
Think I'll just have to try a nice looking carrier from the breakers.
Thanks given by:
283m gti brakes.

new sliders would be my first call
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
Something about this doesnt sound right, which bit of caliper is moving in relation to what? Vid maybe..? Could be something stuck between the mating faces, or maybe something in the bottom of the slider bolt hole so its not tightening properly. Seen some pretty worn sliders and never known them to cause noticeable play.

If you're not wanting to upgrade then bigg red do refurb kits and new sliders, well worth doing imo, even if you are upgrading tbf.
306 HDi Deathtrap - 130bhp / 220lbft
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
Alex I've had 2 now where the sliders have worn to the point of the calliper rattling. One had about 3mm play in it!
Team Eaton

1999 China Blue 306 GTi6 - Eaton Supercharged - 214.5bhp 181lbft
Thanks given by:
^^^Ditto. The sliders wear and rattle. This can be accelerated by fitting harsh suspension as the calipers receive more shock. I've had quite a few do it now. As said, new sliders will fix it.
[Image: car-1.jpg]

Member of the 99% warning or you're nothing club

2000 Moonstone 1.8 Meridian - Sold
2000 China 3dr XS - Dead
1998 Diablo 3dr XSI
Thanks given by:
I've seen a thread buy this guy on here but must be under a different username and can't find it now: http://www.306gti6.com/forum/showthread.php?id=134035

The main body of the caliper is loose on the slider pins, has a few MM of play when grabbed hold off and shaken.
I've got a carrier (yoke on Servicebox) from a newer Xsara to swap over when my new pins are delivered to make it all a bit 'newer'

Looking around the breakers today (all 100,000 mile + Partners/306/Xsaras) it seems normal that the top slider stays quite tight, but the bottom ones do get a lot of play in them.

My sliders currently:
[Image: dQfPQCx.png]

And thinking back my EBC pads don't have those anti-rattle springs built into them which must be adding a few % to the noise, and my copper slip seems to have worn off the pads so will strip down and reapply everything fresh.
Thanks given by:
Really?! Mad, fair enough, will have to remember that. Confused
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
(01-10-2013, 12:03 PM)Poodle Wrote: Really?! Mad, fair enough, will have to remember that. Confused

They are the 'stock' black ones, Ultimax?
I think judging from todays scrapyard visit, most pads don't have the shim that clips into the caliper built in, as all the calipers just swung up and out of the way with only the lower slider undone.

But I'll be ensuring my next ones do!
Thanks given by:
Sorry, was responding to the comments about play in the sliders, genuinely never seem that. Learn something every day though eh!
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Rear brake caliper overhaul Mighty306 18 5,985 19-02-2018, 10:55 PM
Last Post: Mighty306
  Brake caliper mounting bolts Mighty306 4 1,838 22-07-2017, 09:49 PM
Last Post: ben10241
  rear brake caliper bolts procta 3 1,289 25-06-2015, 07:27 PM
Last Post: welshpug