Turbo talk

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Turbo talk
ATM I'm running a GT15 with stupid amount of PSI and its instant boost. Iv got a td04 nearly ready to go on but am I right the think it won't kick in till about 2.5k, what would be a better turbo than a td04 but will kick in abit sooner?

Correct me if I'm wrong anywhere please Smile
[Image: edit2_zpsbe60b3ca.jpg]

Team derv FLAME and CONROD spitters
Thanks given by:
Maybe even a little later. Depends what td04 you have as well.
My t2 kicks in around then so I'd expect a td04 to be slightly later
[Image: IMG_20130925_181339_zps95df48fa.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Mine seemed to start building boost at around 1800 rpm and was on full blow by 2500 i don't think it's laggy at all
[Image: image_zps45f2003b.jpg]

Team Doesn't own a 306
Thanks given by:
im curently in the change from a ko3 (same as gt15) to a td04l but not drove it yet but ill let you know the difference Smile

maybe start looking in to vnt turbos?
Thanks given by:
TD04 isn't that bad to drive at all and for the price they go for you can't beat them
Thanks given by:
Think I'm going TD04, would mind a ride in a car with one though...
[Image: tapatalk_1427020983519_zpsnwvozlhb.jpeg]
Thanks given by:
I got my td04l for £20 posted in the end so can't moan about that but I don't want alot of turbo lag! Had a little race with my mates 225 bhp TT last night and pissed all over him till mid range third gear.

Thanks given by:
Il take you out then liam ur not far from me jus in manchester nice drive to leeds tbh.

Mine is on full blow at 3k but holds that to 6k Smile

But then again im running shitty fully rubber hosing on both sides of intercooler, need some rigid pipework as these shit hoses that came on car expand to about 4" haha

(05-11-2012, 11:56 AM)Mowle5677 Wrote: I got my td04l for £20 posted in the end so can't moan about that but I don't want alot of turbo lag! Had a little race with my mates 225 bhp TT last night and pissed all over him till mid range third gear.

just curious but what speed would mid range 3rd gear be? as you may be jsut behind him with td04 but once you hit 2/3rd gear at 3k youd be away Smile and if you can drive a derv propa your laughin Smile

quickshift would be a great investment to get change done quicker to prevent boost loss between changes IMO
[Image: J5hxCcC.jpg]
Thanks given by:
(05-11-2012, 11:58 AM)CJ_Derv Wrote: Il take you out then liam ur not far from me jus in manchester nice drive to leeds tbh.

Mine is on full blow at 3k but holds that to 6k Smile

But then again im running shitty fully rubber hosing on both sides of intercooler, need some rigid pipework as these shit hoses that came on car expand to about 4" haha

(05-11-2012, 11:56 AM)Mowle5677 Wrote: I got my td04l for £20 posted in the end so can't moan about that but I don't want alot of turbo lag! Had a little race with my mates 225 bhp TT last night and pissed all over him till mid range third gear.

just curious but what speed would mid range 3rd gear be? as you may be jsut behind him with td04 but once you hit 2/3rd gear at 3k youd be away Smile and if you can drive a derv propa your laughin Smile

quickshift would be a great investment to get change done quicker to prevent boost loss between changes IMO

He's only on a gt15, not got the td04 on yet. But a 306 pushing 180hp would be pretty well matched to a heavy bulky 220hp Audi.
On the 306 waiting list.
Thanks given by:
TBH, slight hijack, but i have no idea how this GT2056 is going to be. Should be interesting anyway!
[Image: signature_zps1a02ba79.jpg]
Thanks given by:
He's only on a gt15, not got the td04 on yet. But a 306 pushing 180hp would be pretty well matched to a heavy bulky 220hp Audi.
[/quote]

yeah i know hes not got it on yet Tongue im daft but not that daft haha

well i made 169.9 with turbo manifold held on wiith 3 bolts haha

and yeah easily beat the Audi as they farr too heavy Smile power to weight n all that haha
Thanks given by:
(05-11-2012, 11:14 AM)Mowle5677 Wrote: ATM I'm running a GT15 with stupid amount of PSI

What boost we talkin'?

(05-11-2012, 11:56 AM)Mowle5677 Wrote: Had a little race with my mates 225 bhp TT last night and pissed all over him till mid range third gear.

Your mate is a terrible driver then Tongue My Audi S3 had unbelievable traction off the line, and could hit 60 pretty quickly. I don't think a gt15 306 could stand up to it to be honest! Not trying to piss on your bonfire, but just doesn't seem normal that's all.

I went in a DT recently with a completely different turbo, and it was very matched for performance to my s3. But the turbo was in a completely different league to a gt15.
PH1 306 XUD - 11mm VE, Big 'bine, TMIC = Plenty of coal, abuse, heatsoak and a power band of 4.3k - 6k = One shagged car.
[Image: sig2.png]
Thanks given by:
It depends what TD04 you have, if the long code on it ends in 501 then it will be laggy as its the HL version. The others aren't bad really
GT2052s DTurbo
OEM+ HDI Estate
Project thread
Thanks given by:
good question whats stupid amount of boost?? boost doesnt equal power flow is more crucial than boost pressure Smile
Thanks given by:
*Boost does equal power, its just efficiency that gets in the way Wink You turn them into hairdryers eventually...

Read back through some posts in turbo threads from me, I'm pretty sure I've covered all the bases as far as what turbos to go for and what things affect the spool rate and efficiency... There's been some great threads on here about turbo solutions... The jist is that the more modern the turbo, the more air it'll move, with a lower shaft speed, at a higher pressure... Some of the borgwarner EFR units would simply be unreal on our engines, very modern and capable of coping with rediculous pressure ratios...
(16-05-2016, 10:45 AM)Toms306 Wrote: Oh I don't care about the stripped threads lol, that's easily solved by hammering the bolt in. Wink
Nanstone GTD5 GT17S - XUD9TE
Volvo V50 D5 R-Design SE Sport - Daily cruise wagon.
Thanks given by:
(05-11-2012, 11:58 AM)CJ_Derv Wrote: Il take you out then liam ur not far from me jus in manchester nice drive to leeds tbh.

Sounds good that mate, you going to the Xmas meet? Could do it then?

Pretty sure I wanna go TD04 but I just want to be sure. To be fair my new DT has a fairly healthy K14 so I might blow that up first lol
Thanks given by:
(05-11-2012, 01:01 PM)CJ_Derv Wrote: good question whats stupid amount of boost?? boost doesnt equal power flow is more crucial than boost pressure Smile

I would say between 35-40 but unsure as it goes off my gauge and before someone moans about it will blow up iv only done it twice for like a second to see what it gets too lol.

Thanks given by:
Yea I believe you.

Especially when you raced your mates TT until at least half way through 3rd. Rolleyes Tongue
PH1 306 XUD - 11mm VE, Big 'bine, TMIC = Plenty of coal, abuse, heatsoak and a power band of 4.3k - 6k = One shagged car.
Thanks given by:
35-40psi? On a gt15?

You crazy man. You crazy.
[Image: signature_zps1a02ba79.jpg]
Thanks given by:
I'm usually a big sceptic but with a DTs low gearing and the mahoosive weight of a TT that's not that implausible...
Thanks given by:
(05-11-2012, 04:06 PM)THE_Liam Wrote: I'm usually a big sceptic but with a DTs low gearing and the mahoosive weight of a TT that's not that implausible...

I suppose it's down to your opinion. I just can't see a gt15 (no matter if it's boosting 35psi) is gonna out do a TT. In the same way, my previous DT on a T2 with 11mm pump etc was boosting this kind of amount...it still wasn't as fast as the S3 - not miles off, but it wasn't as quick. When my previous DT then went to a td04, obviously its performance was improved in terms of pure figures, and in my mind it probably wouldn't be toooooo far off the s3.

Obviously there are so many variables involved, and not just the cars...so, I do appreciate what people say.

But again, IMHO, I just can't believe a gt15 306 would be able to. Undecided
Thanks given by:
my T2 kicks in at 2k
Venetian XUD ph2 heaven
Ph3 perv cab heaven
Black ph1 XUD died

Moonstone hdi stage 2
Thanks given by:
My T25 doesn't reach full boost til way past 4k! Laggy turbo ftw!
Supercharged GTi6 Build
S14 Zenki Build
[Image: signature.png]
Thanks given by:
(08-11-2012, 04:17 PM)silverzx Wrote: My T25 doesn't reach full boost til way past 4k! Laggy turbo ftw!

Shouldnt be that late at all jenks kicks in wayy before 4k more fuel needed IMO lol

as for a GT15 running 35-40psi ?? serious is that possible on a chicken neck turbo, thats a tiny turbo making all that boost :S i couldnt get a T2 or K14 past 30 on a 9mm what pump u got?
Thanks given by:
GT15's have been known by people to die quickly at like 20psi+ O_O

And yea, T25 should peak out boost wise before 4k I would have thought.
Thanks given by:
4k+ full boost drives more like a petrol. Wink

Edit: VTEC* ninja
Supercharged GTi6 Build
S14 Zenki Build
[Image: signature.png]
Thanks given by:
My T25 hits full boost (20psi, would be M0ar but WG is poo) at about 2600rpm and dies off after 4k, pointless after 4.5k
Thanks given by:
Hmm IMHO a GT15'd DT wouldn't hang with a TT225 - maybe for about half a second off the line as the 4WD Turbo car bogs as it pulls away and the DT just rips off the line on full torque.... Then as soon as the TT comes on boost, it'd just f*cking romp past it with no issues....

My DT would just about hang with a 225 until about 60, then it'd really start pulling away... DTs are VERY quick at lower speeds, massive torque over a large spread of it's RPM with gears that suit speeds up to about 80mph... Past 80mph you'll really feel the fact they just don't have much guts at high speed.... That's why my DT was quicker than MOST cars 30-70, there was very little that could hang when on the good old slip road, but past 80, that's where the top end of a petrol engine will take over...

Remember a GTi6 for example - until 60mph it only has times it actually has FULL power - that's about 35-40mph in 1nd and 55-60mph in 2nd... Everywhere else it's climbing to it's peak... My DT had 4 times until 60mph in 1st, 2nd, 3rd and 4th, and the massive torque as well to give a helping hand... Diesels will never be 100mph+ cars, which is why IMO they make SO much sense for 99% of the roads I drive on as it's very rare to go above about 80-90mph in reality...
(16-05-2016, 10:45 AM)Toms306 Wrote: Oh I don't care about the stripped threads lol, that's easily solved by hammering the bolt in. Wink
Nanstone GTD5 GT17S - XUD9TE
Volvo V50 D5 R-Design SE Sport - Daily cruise wagon.
Thanks given by:
(08-11-2012, 11:54 PM)Pugmarshall Wrote: My T25 hits full boost (20psi, would be M0ar but WG is poo) at about 2600rpm and dies off after 4k, pointless after 4.5k

What pump are you running? guess its not gov modded then??
Thanks given by:
My gov is shimmed solid and my lda right out.

Turbo is fecked now though, sounds like a mixture of a police car, vacuum cleaner and a wire wheel on sheet metal.
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Talk exhaust.... blinkyeatu 20 4,071 24-08-2015, 08:42 PM
Last Post: 306pc
  Turbo talk. bashbarnard 65 16,520 30-10-2014, 09:33 AM
Last Post: bashbarnard
  Turbo talk Danny2009 6 1,525 16-08-2014, 05:01 PM
Last Post: ADV_93