GTi-6 - ITBs & CAMMED Track Car.. LATEST VIDEO

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
GTi-6 - ITBs & CAMMED Track Car.. LATEST VIDEO
Well, I managed to blow the gearbox up in this the other day - that was irritating... it appears that I took 2 teeth off the crown wheel on the diff, and whilst the diff itself seems ok, it's full of metal swarf so will need rebuilding, I'm taking it to the Quaife office this afternoon.

Also, oddly after the box blew, it wouldn't start... turns out the reason is simple, the pieces of metal bust their way through into the bellhousing and ripped out the crank position sensor. Balls.

JP
JP
Thanks given by:
Ouch. Makes me think that those of you running high revving GTi6s maybe need to start running scatter shields especially after seeing the damage of Chris's (chrisrallye) flywheel trying to leave the engine bay on his 6 when that let go
Thanks given by:
Right, long overdue update here.

Fixed the gearbox, dropped in a recon unit, refitted Quaife diff and happy days.

Found out my "cam upgrade" was a total fail, scored the f*ck out of the cams. So they came out and have been sent back.

Back to stock cams, and missing any kind of real power, I bought these on a whim:

[Image: DSCF9117_zpsd3c5584a.jpg]

People said, what's the point of doing that on stock cams - it will make no extra power.

I was also told time and time again that aftermarket management such as Emerald or DTA was the only way to go and that it "wouldn't work right on stock management".

Ever the tight Yorkshireman, and wanting to again do something "different to the norm" as I did with my old DTurbo - I decided to call on the help of the Chip Wizard, up here in Rochdale. Wayne Schofield has an excellent reputation with all things Peugeot, so I thought if anyone could do it - he could...

So, I headed over to Wayne's unit with the car now totally stock, other than a K&N apollo air filter and Longlife systems 2.5" stainless exhaust with sports cat and lightly advanced inlet cam.

We ran the car up like this, seeing a healthy 177hp. About right given the tame breathing mods and advanced inlet cam timing.

After a couple of Jaffa Cakes it was time to whip the standard inlet off. Easy job, loads of you have done it - needing nothing more than some basic tools and a new gasket for refitting (if you do!)

[Image: DSCF9116_zps47a9644b.jpg]

[Image: DSCF9115_zps38f2e1a6.jpg]

With the manifold off, the fuel lines needed modifying to suit the Jenvey throttle bodies - really just a case of cutting them down and using some bits of Porsche fuel pipe lying around in the workshop.

Once we'd done this, we cut off a few tabs of metal on the Jenvey bodies to give us good clearance for things like the dipstick and throttle linkage:

[Image: DSCF9119_zpsa5750ac2.jpg]

Last but not least was modifying the throttle cable to fit the Jenvey set up, easily done by a bit of cutting and trimming:

[Image: DSCF9122_zps063f72e7.jpg]

Once fitted, plumbed in and bolted up it was time to test fire the car, on the stock mapping... suffice to say it ran like crap, coughing and spluttering - not surprising given half of the connectors it was expecting to see weren't plugged in!!!

Despite that - the car still managed 194hp even with all the pops and bangs!

[Image: DSCF9124_zpsc4b897e0.jpg]

This graph really shows us where even on stock mapping and running like crap, the Jenveys help us to gain, also quite surprising was the fact we didn't lose TOO much torque low down - which was a bit of a concern:

[Image: DSCF9128_zpsaca21e48.jpg]

So, now to the mapping... It was getting late on into the evening now - and with a mammoth live mapping (running the car directly from the laptop) session ahead of us... we cracked open the ECU and tucket into some biscuits:

[Image: DSCF9127_zpsef5882ee.jpg]

Wayne started reading the file - and tried to explain to me and Chris (Brynllwynog2) how the ECU referenced different values, loads, RPMs etc...

[Image: DSCF9129_zps398e0f2e.jpg]

[Image: DSCF9130_zps9a75808a.jpg]

We hooked the car up to an emulator box, essentially allowing Wayne to run the car directly from his laptop in the car, and optimise the mapping on the go whilst simulating different load and RPM conditions on the dyno and watching the feedback from the wideband lambda hooked up to the exhaust:

[Image: DSCF9131_zps1a1ae5df.jpg]

[Image: DSCF9133_zpsa66923ce.jpg]

[Image: DSCF9126_zps11a083dc.jpg]

Next came the huge, job of mapping.

This was no "let's map it for headline power figures" exercise. Wayne spent literally 6 hours optimising every single load and RPM site in the ECU, ensuring that the fuelling was spot on across the board for the new found airflow provided by the Jenvey bodies.

Only when he was happy all of the part throttle, full throttle and transient fuelling was absolutely spot on did he begin the power runs. The first couple of runs showed 197, 198 and 199hp - so tantilisingly close to the magic 200hp. Thankfully, Wayne said "there's a bit more to come out of this yet, hang on..."

With a few more tweaks on the laptop and the timing and fuelling optimised to their full, we saw 204.9 bhp and 170.3 lb/ft

The final graph shows the first run, with the stock intake and mapping and only basic mods giving 177.8 bhp and 151 lbft, and then back to back runs of the stock mapping with Jenveys, giving 194.7 bhp and an erroneous torque reading unfortunately (spike when dipping the clutch on the dyno) and the final map with Jenveys giving 204.9 bhp and 170 lb/ft.

[Image: Results_zps8956d112.jpg]

All in all with the stock power figures being 167 bhp and 145 lbft of torque we can see that light breathing mods and some modest cam timing changes can yield us a 10 bhp and 6 lb/ft gain, with Jenveys giving a whopping 38 bhp and 25 lb/ft gain over stock.

I have to say a personal thankyou to Wayne at Chip Wizard for putting in so much time, care and attention to detail on this and I would urge any of you to use him as your tuner... he REALLY knows his stuff, petrol or diesel.

The car pulls cleanly and strongly through all the gears and drives, dare I say it, better than a stock one. Certainly smoother and with far better throttle response. As they say, it's "how it should have left the factory!!"

Hopefully this will allow a few more GTi-6 owners to go down the throttle body route, without the need for full blown aftermarket management systems!!!

Let's see what happens when we throw some cams into the mix.....

Cheers for reading,

JP
JP
Thanks given by:
awesome job mate! looking spot on, bit of a shitter with the cams but hopefully get it sorted!
Diablo Hdi Dturbo and 205 1.9 project - it lives!
Thanks given by:
Wow.. decent result indeed! Would like to see how she pulls!
[Image: Ty8kl7b.jpg]
Thanks given by:
That's the next step to be honest ginge... Sort out some decent cams this time rather than going for cheap, and see if we can't find another 20hp in it...

I guess for completeness ;-)

JP
Thanks given by:
I have to say that's genuinely rather impressive tbh. Certainly changed my (clearly incorrect) opinion that bodies were a bit silly as an upgrade on stock cams. That looks like a fairly usable hike in power, still delivering it close to where it would as standard.

The only thing that may be prohibitive to some is the mapping cost. I'm assuming Wayne's time sorting out all of that doesn't come cheaply (as it shouldn't given the clearly excellent service you have received!)
'99 Ph3 Diablo Gti(Victor) Dead
Astor 'X' 4 GTi6-6 - SOLD! Sad
'08 LY Renault Megane RS 230 F1 Team R26 - GONE
'56 BMW Z4 Coupe 3.0si Sport - SCHWIIIING!
Thanks given by:
£450 all in.

I had already set my cams up how I wanted them, but for that price he would also mess around and find the sweet spot.

JP
JP
Thanks given by:
Tbh that just makes there very little reason not to go for this as a relatively cost effective route for more power then!
Thanks given by:
Fair play, impressive gains....still be better with a raping turbo tho.........

......lol
| Dyno Power Runs & Steady State Facilities Available, Just Ask Anytime |
| #DervMafia |

[Image: sigi-2.png]
Thanks given by:
So that's 450 all in including the bodies?

Very nice!
Thanks given by:
450 for mapping sean, otherwise that's bloody cheap!
Thanks given by:
Bodies are around £750 I think depending on what you go for.

The mapping is a total bargain, I just can't understand why people go aftermarket management... to give you a little indication of how drivable it is at part throttle etc - I made a little in car vid:

JP
Thanks given by:
Really want bodies
Thanks given by:
Do it. Do it!

It even starts and idles perfectly. I'm not 100% sure what the fuel economy will be like though!

JP
JP
Thanks given by:
Thats a really good price for 6 hours of dyno/mapping time, last time i checked locally it was £150/hour

Really good results for just slapping on a set before mapping too, what size are the bodies, 45mm or 50mm?
Thanks given by:
45mm

I'm not even bothered about consumption! Just want the noise!

And more fire!
Thanks given by:
45's Dum. Anything bigger would likely make less power without 8000+ rpm, which my motor isn't built for at the moment. At a BIG push, I could probably stretch it to 8500rpm.

This is only mapped to about 7750rpm at the moment as the power is tailing off there. Longer duration / higher lift cams should help me hold power up to 8000rpm on the next phase I expect.

I only need to find 150lb/ft at 8000rpm to make 230hp, I'd like to think given on these cams I've got 170lb/ft that's possible!

If I can even keep 170lb/ft up to my current 7750rpm limit I'd be making 250hp!

JP
JP
Thanks given by:
I'm intrigued on how the fuel economy will go.. if you could keep us updated? I may also really fancy a set of bodies now lol
Thanks given by:
thats incredible, really impressive.

With respect to wayne, he has done all the tough bit now surely...as in if someone else went with the same setup, or close to it, he shouldnt need so long as he already has good values and parameters from yours to work with?
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
Piggy some of the mapping will be down to the cam timing, so there will always be fiddle factor to optimise the set-up. You are correct in that he wont have to set it up from scratch, but he will still have to tweak the afr throughout the rev range to get the bodies set up correctly for the way the engine is set, so it will probably still be fairly time consuming...

That's my understanding of it anyway...
Thanks given by:
He doesn't work like that. He never uses a "generic map". Yes, I'm sure mine would be somewhere near, however someone else might have better compression, and be able to take a bit more fuel / not be lean, my cams might be worn - not giving as much lift, maybe my exhaust flows better, maybe someone else will have better venturi trumpets etc etc.

From what I can gather, Wayne maps every car - correctly.

JP
JP
Thanks given by:
thats some good power you have got out of that well done.
287 Bhp N/A Big Grin
Built by Pug1Off
1/4 mile in 13.6
Now in french car mag
Thanks given by:
Chris - have you got a dyno plot for yours?

I won't be going as high up the rev range as you (yet!) but I'd like to see roughly where I might end up with a set of PT81's or similar in there and maybe mapped up to 8000rpm.

JP
JP
Thanks given by:
i have got one on my project thread mate. yeah it would be good to see what sort of power that would make.

http://306oc.co.uk/forum/thread-5612.html

and its got a good video on page 2 as well.
287 Bhp N/A Big Grin
Built by Pug1Off
1/4 mile in 13.6
Now in french car mag
Thanks given by:
I would like to think it'll do 185lb/ft or so and maybe 230hp.

JP
JP
Thanks given by:
Excellent update, very interesting read. Does Wayne Schofield own a renault 5? If so I think that may be the guy Jakes uncle goes to every time he wants mapping done, and he recommends him very highly.
And quick question about your Avo's.. I seem to remember you got them set up with different valves? I assume this was because you changed the 250lb springs for the 350lb? How much did Avo charge to set them up for the new springs?

Cheers
[Image: 20120704_212316.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Sounds epic.
Doesnt even own a 306.
Thanks given by:
wow sounds great!!!!!
[Image: DSC_5848Custom_zps75885397.jpg]
Thanks given by:
JP it's all well and good saying you can't see any reason why anyone would go aftermarket ECU, but Wayne is one of only a handful of people that can properly map the 1AP. I'd considered using him when I was fitting R1 throttle bodies but just kinda abandoned that setup as I couldn't afford it.

A lot of people go for the type of ECU their local operator can map. To this day I don't know anyone that can do the 1AP up here unfortunately.

Impressive gains though, and relatively little expenditure. Definitely a realistic alternative to a LBSC setup, even when you factor in the cost of cams.
[Image: signature_zps1a02ba79.jpg]
Thanks given by: