Hunter the B-road sigma..

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hunter the B-road sigma..
I mean when you mocked it up why didn't you put the caliper on the disk and get that in the spare
[Image: IMG_20130925_181339_zps95df48fa.jpg]
Thanks given by:
because i have 2 hands and a very small shed to work in lol

i have work to do... leave me be! Sad
Diablo Hdi Dturbo and 205 1.9 project - it lives!
Thanks given by:
That's not any excuse lol
Thanks given by:
So a parcel arrived for me today...

this is getting quite scary, the size scares me!

finally got the setup all ready and waiting, but was a shame, I asked for a donation (£15 out of the £45 they cost) towards the slider bolts so the calipers would ACTUALLY work, and being palmed of by td_dan is quite upsetting. I'm not fussed, honesty and communication is all it really takes. But nevermind! Here's how they all stand.

[Image: kT3Te.jpg]

tight fit!!

[Image: vzAPf.jpg]

EDIT: oh and thats my refurbed wheel - to make a set of 5!

Hopefully get it on and running next week at some point between uni work!

MOVED HERE
Thanks given by:
Oh, and i'm heading to the engineering lot tomorow to hollow out my back box - hopefully get some nice turbo whistle and a bit of a better flow.

going to attempt to chop a small opening, hollow it out then weld in back up - get home, putty around the welded areas, maybe some hammerite also - seal it nice and tight.

Any other suggestions, please drop them in! Smile
Thanks given by:
Backflow? What?
Thanks given by:
Straight pipe it! dont bother your ass with cutting it open etc.
[Image: sig.jpg]
Thanks given by:
4WayDiablo Wrote:Backflow? What?

..yes, free flowing, less back pressure.
pre-turbo spool, lower back pressure is better for low end power.

from here: http://www.thedieselstop.com/forums/f25 ... ker-68029/

Chris Wrote:Straight pipe it! dont bother your ass with cutting it open etc.

but i want the OEM look, not a fan of the pipe sticking out look; if anything, i'd put a pipe through the box to hide it all lol

i'll see what i've got tomorow
Thanks given by:
id call that more backpressure as the exhaust gasses dont flow backwards from your backbox? lol
either way less backpressure is good on the dervs Big Grin
Thanks given by:
4WayDiablo Wrote:id call that more backpressure as the exhaust gasses dont flow backwards from your backbox? lol
either way less backpressure is good on the dervs Big Grin

have you been hanging round with mark :roll:
Thanks given by:
erm, no but do your exhaust gasses flow from the backbox into your engine?
Thanks given by:
lol you know what I mean
Thanks given by:
Ok, so sorted the exhaust out - it is now EMPTY, and quite interesting to see what was inside, i never knew!

So, Step 1, put exhaust into a HUGE saw...

[Image: GH5o8.jpg]

Step 2, cut into another 3rd, going around you're brackets..

[Image: O0onb.jpg]

Step 3, realise that it's deeper than a small angle grinder, so get a bigger one..

[Image: rUD67.jpg]

Step 4, hammer out and admire the insides, chuck away....

[Image: I56n3.jpg]

Step 5, Weld back together, grind down, check for leaks, weld again.. done!

[Image: NoOR7.jpg]

when i put it on the car, i'll chuck some firegum around the welds, obviously not on the car yet due to stuuupid weather!
Thanks given by:
nice tidy job you have done there mate.............did you not weld a piece of pipe in?
Team Orange Engine Bay

My flickr photostream - http://www.flickr.com/photos/markairey
Thanks given by:
Nope, the setup inside is retarded.... the pipes don't allign, it doesn't go "straight" and to bend pipe to go through is pointless.... we pressure tested up to 40psi, and wasn't leaking and exiting fine through the exhaust end...

I saw no reason to fit a pipe through knowing that gasses are exiting free'ly if this makes sense?
Thanks given by:
yeah I know what you are saying, but having an expansion chamber as you now effectively have slows down the velocity of the gasses in the exhaust as they expand when they reach the box and slow down, it will still be a million times better than it was with all the shite inside though! Get it back on the car, it will sound better too Big Grin
Team Orange Engine Bay

My flickr photostream - http://www.flickr.com/photos/markairey
Thanks given by:
yeh i hear what you're saying, but i think when it's mostly used for short sharp bursts, as apposed to LONG straights, if that makes sense again Big Grin, hopefully it won't be too much of a hinderence. I'll get on as soon as the weather pisses off! probably same time i do the quickshift and brake install
/unifirst
Thanks given by:
FYI how the car's used/driven won't make the blindest bit of difference to how flow's affected by the change in bore. The sudden expansion in diameter will cause a sudden reduction in gas velocity, which is a significant restriction in itself. Same theory as tuned-length manifolds; pressure-waves will be travelling up and down the length of pipe, which will interfere with gas flow through the turbine (am i right in thinking the rest of your exhaust piping is straight-through..?) and harm spool times.

Don't know enough about it to be able to tell you whether it'll be better or worse than the standard box, but as Mark says you'd be much better off with a bit of pipe in there. Tbf would be very surprised if it was worse than standard, but you seem to enjoy accumulating knowledge so thought you might be interested anyway. Smile
306 HDi Deathtrap - 130bhp / 220lbft
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
Ah ok, thanks poodle! Nice information there! Well, when it's on, we'll see how I performs. I'm hoping for a nice whistle also from the turbo. I had a small hole in the exhaust previously and sounded epic :p!
Thanks given by:
Just fitted the new 'zorst - nothing more to say really, and didn't take a picture, standard hollow 'zorst, with som black hammerite over the new welds and tip - to prevent furhter rust, seeing as my old on had rusted through the tip
Thanks given by:
How's she sound? Much difference in response?
Thanks given by:
Havnt really driven it yet; idled it for a bit to harde the gum..
Thanks given by:
So the sun was shining, i have a dissertation to complete, so ended up getting under the bonnet whistle

Had a little tuning sesh after fitting the back box, had a high idle issue which needed sorting.
Also prior to MOT it was running nice boost, a really nice low down torque feel, after MOT it wasn't the same, so wanted that back again... So after fiddling with the hot/cold idle, fuel and LDA screw i had a nice feel back again.

Also fitted my temp probe onto the IC, so once uni is over i'll crack on with some alternative IC cooling.

[Image: h5LQb.jpg]

[Image: YLFxx.jpg]
Black tape just in case the probe decides to fall out at any time and strays the engine bay :|
Thanks given by:
have you just wedged that in the ic fins?
Thanks given by:
What sort of readings do you get from that temp probe at certain boost etc?
Thanks given by:
might just do this on mine, then we can compare fmic to tmic temps
Thanks given by:
4WayDiablo Wrote:have you just wedged that in the ic fins?

...is as far as it would stretch Doh but yes, i know, it's not an exact internal temp but will give a consisten reading when i come to cooling.

Dan! Wrote:What sort of readings do you get from that temp probe at certain boost etc?

literally took it around the block for 2 minutes, hit 31.4 as a max iirc.

I'll do some more readings once i get into the cooling side of it.
Thanks given by:
Wow, thats pretty low! You're running ~20psi arent you? I expect its lower than the results I got because its mounted outside the charged area. When I used a proper thermocouple to measure charge temps on Jakes Dturbo when it was running 20psi I think it measured ~160° at full boost after a couple of hard pulls.
Thanks given by:
Dan! Wrote:Wow, thats pretty low! You're running ~20psi arent you? I expect its lower than the results I got because its mounted outside the charged area. When I used a proper thermocouple to measure charge temps on Jakes Dturbo when it was running 20psi I think it measured ~160° at full boost after a couple of hard pulls.

christ!
this is in *C don't forget - and also from start up, so wasn't thrashing... running 18psi, as much as it will go without touching turbo end of things, fancy a crack at an MBC @ FCS?
Thanks given by:
Yeah, I was surprised too! Thats pre-tmic (probed in the pipe from turbo to tmic) and post tmic (probed in where the D-seal goes) it was around 80°, which shows how effective the tmic can be with good air flow! Smile

And yeah sure can mate, just make sure you have some hose with you which is long enough/suitable for high temperature and we'l give it a crack Wink
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Hunter continued with a td04! Tom 364 112,596 06-10-2013, 06:50 PM
Last Post: Tom