they just dont understand...

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
they just dont understand...
So recently when I was looking to buy a car I was given loads of advice from people about what I should get.
Majority of people said a focus, a3 etc etc.
I then explained I wanted another 306 and the amount of slating I got (and still do) to wanting an old French car.
None of them had even driven one!
Also a mate of mine just got an a3 and he doesn't understand why I got another 306.

Yet, there are people on here who got different cars (padge, kentiboii) and they both are back into the world of 306's. So what is it about them? Do people just not "get it"
[Image: 306ocsig_edited-1-1.jpg]

306 HDI, soon to be XUD
Thanks given by:
The thing is Dec, 306s are shite, theres cars that are much cheaper to run, much fatser, much more comfortable, better looking (matter of opinion) and with loads more spec.

But I still get a 'buzz' from driving a 306 hard through the B road........yeah it sounds shite, costs more than golf and has half the power, but I've done about 100miles of hard driving today due to triple booking myself with things and its held up perfectly, corners awesome at speed and the seats are comfortable (even though the ride isnt great)........

The cornering really is good, even on the estate, I havent had a car match that yet!

306s do have a 'je ne ce quoi'...........but to most people they look like shitty old chav mobiles not to be touched with a barge pole, no honestly!!
Thanks given by:
they don't tbh the amount of stick my mates give me then i tell them i get 60mpg and i can run on veg oil their smugness and smile goes away lol
Don't worry about what I'm doing, I want you to worry about what you're doing
Thanks given by:
I went from saxos to ford to seat to Nissan back to the French I got a ford fiesta st and a hdi il be honest they is way way more fun but the pug is just sooooo much nicer to drive if I want to rag it about I'll take the st if u want to cruise I'll take the hdi brilliant cars :-)
Thanks given by:
There's just something about old French tat that keeps you interested. I've gone from an Octavia vRS to a knackered XRDT with a beige interior and I much prefer the 306. Not only that but I'm looking at some more old French crap...
[Image: tapatalk_1427020983519_zpsnwvozlhb.jpeg]
Thanks given by:
I use to have an old red (pink if i didnt wax it) S3, it just didnt have any life in it, it was a good quick drive but boring and didnt handle as well as my 306, although the turning circle was better. I just didnt connect with it. I think the 306 is a loveable car they feel almost as if they have personalitys and the fact that there is nearly always something wrong with them aids to the character, Iv had loads of different cars and the only ones iv been atached to are my Xsi and a Mk2 Nova Sri that I redtop'd. People just dont understand untill they'v had a 306!
Thanks given by:
Mates just gone from a saxo which never went went wrong to an A3 tdi sport, which in the last three weeks of ownership has had 3 starter motors, won't start properly, possible HG problems or even knackered porous head that they suffer with. Also been told the flywheel may need replacing. ££££££.

Cheap French hatchbacks with much more personality and nearly everything can be fixed DIY FTMFW.
GT2052s DTurbo
OEM+ HDI Estate
Project thread
Thanks given by:
It's the drive. There are plenty of cars out there with more mechanical grip, but none of them feel quite so 'naughty' on the limit. It's like when you drive it they're always dying for you to thrash it hard Tongue I dunno, I just absolutely love it Smile
'99 Ph3 Diablo Gti(Victor) Dead
Astor 'X' 4 GTi6-6 - SOLD! Sad
'08 LY Renault Megane RS 230 F1 Team R26 - GONE
'56 BMW Z4 Coupe 3.0si Sport - SCHWIIIING!
Thanks given by:
Actually that pretty much sums it up. ^^^
306 HDi Deathtrap - 130bhp / 220lbft
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
(24-10-2012, 08:23 PM)Ed Doe Wrote: It's like when you drive it they're always dying for you to thrash it hard Tongue

Definitely this! I could quite easily drive at 60 on the motorway in the golf, and 40 through the b road, then go for a thrash at the weekend.....but now I'm speeding everywhere and raping fuel again, just like being back in the 1.8 but with less power and bwarp! lol there is something about them that just wants to push as hard as possible round every corner! Big Grin
Thanks given by:
People reacted really badly when I chopped in the perfectly reliable, perfectly safe and fully-functioning Focus for an old 306 which at time of purchase I could not even open the (smooth) boot! It has had parts since, most recently the brake light switch, but also other things which have been replaced due to age/wear.

People see this ongoing 'maintenance' as your car obviously being SHIT but when people ask, the majority of us actually ENJOY tinkering with our cars!

Then there is the handling. Was the Focus better? Probably, but it was neutral, predictable and very stable (you could get silly angles of oversteer on a greasy roundabout and the chassis just soaked it up) but ultimately it was not rewarding enough. The 306 has a great seating position where the car really feels like it's pivoting around the seat of your pants, making for really fun progress down a good road. Show it the same greasy roundabout and it will bite you, spitting it's backside wide and always giving you that slight doubt as to whether you can gather it back together before your exit or if it is going to want to do some 'urban exploring' off the road! Just keep your nerve and keep your toe in and it will reward you massively though.
Disclaimer: The above is not to be taken to heart and is probably a joke, grow up you big girl.
[Image: Sig500x130.png]
Thanks given by:
As others have said, they are poor build quality (well their engines are good), there rattly, not really very safe and thirsty HOWEVER there is just something about them that when you get behind the wheel and start it (if it starts), it just puts a massive grin on your face. Not to mention that all the ones before the likes of the 207, 307 etc look great and still havent aged too much.

Either peugeot are very clever with how they design their cars or they struck lucky. Tbh i dont care either way....i could drive a S3 which is faster and better built (except the engines) but it just doesnt make me stiff!.....ohh err to far?
Team Eaton

1999 China Blue 306 GTi6 - Eaton Supercharged - 214.5bhp 181lbft
Thanks given by:
There is definitely something about them.. before I got the 6 I looked at hundreds of cars but always found myself ending up looking at 306's again.. they're just awesome
[Image: Ty8kl7b.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Same here danny they just draw you back
Thanks given by:
(24-10-2012, 09:28 PM)Niall Wrote: As others have said, they are poor build quality (well their engines are good), there rattly, not really very safe and thirsty HOWEVER there is just something about them that when you get behind the wheel and start it (if it starts), it just puts a massive grin on your face. Not to mention that all the ones before the likes of the 207, 307 etc look great and still havent aged too much.

Either peugeot are very clever with how they design their cars or they struck lucky. Tbh i dont care either way....i could drive a S3 which is faster and better built (except the engines) but it just doesnt make me stiff!.....ohh err to far?

I get a semi just picking up my pug keys! If it was a woman I would defo have to ra*e it!
Thanks given by:
I get a few french shit jokes but most of my friends jump at the chance to come out in it, i dont have any other friends with tuned xud's so its different Smile Aswell for me is this place, i'd always come on here everyday even when i didnt have a 306.. Its just good fun over here Big Grin
Doesnt even own a 306.
Thanks given by:
Yeah i get abit of stick every now and then for having a french shitbox but do i care? Do i fuq.
I do want to move on eventualy and have tried a few times but end up back in a 306 plus i cant seem to part with the hdi i just love it too much <3
Thanks given by:
It the communtie that goes with a 306 aswell . Especialy on here Big Grin wer not like the stuck up vag owners. We all know are cars are shit Tongue

[Image: DSC_0190-Copy_zpsf093f84d.jpg]
Member of 99% warning or your nothing club!

Thanks given by:
I've moved on from my saxo (french shitty thing) to the 306 HDI (still french) somthing about the french hatchbacks that do it for me...like 205's etc....i've had a feista and punto - dont come close to the fun i've had in the HDi and only had it for a few weeks.
306 HDi Dturbo- China Blue

Thanks given by:
(24-10-2012, 07:20 PM)Toms306 Wrote: The thing is Dec, 306s are shite, theres cars that are much cheaper to run, much fatser, much more comfortable, better looking (matter of opinion) and with loads more spec.

But I still get a 'buzz' from driving a 306 hard through the B road........yeah it sounds shite, costs more than golf and has half the power, but I've done about 100miles of hard driving today due to triple booking myself with things and its held up perfectly, corners awesome at speed and the seats are comfortable (even though the ride isnt great)........

The cornering really is good, even on the estate, I havent had a car match that yet!

306s do have a 'je ne ce quoi'...........but to most people they look like shitty old chav mobiles not to be touched with a barge pole, no honestly!!

The first part of this you are talking out of your arse but the second part is betterThumbsUp

It doesn't help that 306 owners seem to have very low esteem of themselves (compared to VW owners) so they even slag their own cars off. How sad!
Thanks given by:
i've said it before and i'll say it again, i love my 306, wouldn't swap it for a new focus or whatever, it's what i want and it's what i've got, i'm famous round my way for burning veg . .Big Grin
Phase 1 D-Turdo, K14@24 psi, De-cat, meaty backbox, Bosch pump, grinded LDA pin, duel air fed K&N =133.7bhp & 188ft/lbs
Thanks given by:
Sometimes you need to drive something else to satisfy a desire or a curiosity but it only strengthens your desire for a 306.

Its the way it makes me feel when I drive it, its almost like a weird sort of love because they all feel like they have personalities.

Oh and Yes drifting a big BMW around is epic but youll get bored of paying for new rear tyres every week, this is what makes GTi6 ownership seem economical for me.
Thanks given by:
See I loved driving my cuz' s m5 and the supercharged m3 is awsome , his Porsche ain't to bad either but I love my 306 always makes me smile, and I always want to drive it rather than having too
[Image: SDC10442-1.jpg]
Thanks given by:
(25-10-2012, 04:39 PM)Dum-Dum Wrote: Oh and Yes drifting a big BMW around is epic but youll get bored of paying for new rear tyres every week, this is what makes GTi6 ownership seem economical for me.

Love the logic lmao
Thanks given by:
i havent drove the best of cars. golfs i like the ride but other cars are just boring as with a 306 you can go for a drive if you get bord just pull up put more fuel in and go again. bolt a big blower on ect. handle good and do look nice. they have there problems but thats the fun to fix it. thats why i like them anyway. TEAM DERV FTW Smile
Venetian XUD ph2 heaven
Ph3 perv cab heaven
Black ph1 XUD died

Moonstone hdi stage 2
Thanks given by:
Lovin sum of the comments in this thread! Anyway I drive hundreds of different cars in my job and in my previous job and Iv always got the same cheecky smile on my face wen I get in my 306 that I just don't get in the audis, vdubs n fords (don't start me on f*ckin vauxhalls lol) ther just full of character and fun 2 drive, yer I get the same crap of my mates but @ the end of the day I have just as much fun if not more in my lil 306 as they do in ther jap crap n I get 60mpg wher as they r lucky 2 get 20mpg! Lol ther is just sumthing that peugeot build into ther cars, not all of um but they just make um so loveable, oh n iv gone from a 306 to a scooby n back 2 a 306, never fell in love with the scooby, really nice car 2 drive and awesome fun in the snow but just never felt @ home init if u kno what I mean, mayb thers something wrong with us loving these cars this much but I'd like 2 think there's something wrong with every1 els lol
Thanks given by:
(25-10-2012, 04:39 PM)Dum-Dum Wrote: Sometimes you need to drive something else to satisfy a desire or a curiosity but it only strengthens your desire for a 306.

Its the way it makes me feel when I drive it, its almost like a weird sort of love because they all feel like they have personalities.

Oh and Yes drifting a big BMW around is epic but youll get bored of paying for new rear tyres every week, this is what makes GTi6 ownership seem economical for me.

This! My 106 i missed when it went just because a it was cheap to run and was a right work horse and b it was my first car. The saab i was really sad to see go as that was a fun car but when the 1.8 went, i was genuinely upset and as sad as this sounds, almost bought a tear to my eye helping him get it onto the back of the truck purely because of the work that had gone into it, the memories had in it and the epic driving and thats why i was a complete nutter and bought another when tbh, i didnt even need to buy one seeing as ive got the company wagon!
Team Eaton

Thanks given by:
I've had 35 odd cars now & I can honestly say nothing is even close to a 306.

I've had from a fiat cinqucento to a BMW E46 coupe, 306 still is head and shoulders above.

Handling - best hatch of the 90's
Economy - XUD economy.. epic
Parts - Cheap! easy to work on
Community - Is there really any other forum like this?
Unique - These days a 306 isnt the car you see 10 times a day like you do others
Value - What other car can you pick up for under a grand, put your own touch on it, have a laugh, make friends, laugh and cry over?
Thanks given by:
JJ with regards to the community bit, i think that was one reason why i bought my gti instead of just not having one. Ive been on a lot of forums and there just isnt the same level of friendliness, helpfulness and gayness as this forum!! and for that reason, i cant bloody wait until the christmas meet!
Team Eaton

Thanks given by:
(25-10-2012, 07:14 PM)Niall Wrote: JJ with regards to the community bit, i think that was one reason why i bought my gti instead of just not having one. Ive been on a lot of forums and there just isnt the same level of friendliness, helpfulness and gayness as this forum!! and for that reason, i cant bloody wait until the christmas meet!

Exactly,

I've met most of you at some point and you're all decent people.

The trust we all put in each other is scary sometimes, but to be able to say that we've got a group of friends that we met through a car forum, however gay it may sound... is pretty decent IMO.
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  do i or dont i cully 43 8,689 23-04-2014, 07:53 PM
Last Post: Toms306
  So now I think I understand... InkedMuttley 146 70,505 28-08-2012, 12:50 PM
Last Post: C2K
  Admiral Car insurance do not understand MOTs!! HDIkyle 18 5,784 09-03-2012, 08:51 PM
Last Post: procta