Prism7guy's track car

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Prism7guy's track car
I'm new here but not new to 306's, they are all i have owned over the last 8 years since passing my test. Nospeak

Anyway, i got my first gti6 a few years ago and ended up eventually taking it on a trackday, it didnt take long to get the bug but that car is too nice to have as a track car so i saved up and bought another gti6. I like 306's so thought it would be nice to save one which would otherwise have been broken for spares, it's a nice idea but financially it is a disaster. lol Dodgy

I'd been scowling the parts for sale on the gti6 forum for a year, buying any trick bits which i thought would be useful, but eventually i filled my bedroom and it was time to actually buy the car. The car i got had HG failure and was fairly local so i went to see it, seemed ok so slapped down a deposit and went back a week later to collect it. It broke down a few miles down the road so the AA came out, but it was too low so another wagon had to be sent out. Eventually we got it home.

[Image: IMG_0322.jpg]

[Image: IMG_0415.jpg]

To start with i just stripped everything that wasnt needed and swapped the front struts for some KW V2's i'd got sat in my room.

[Image: IMG_0369.jpg]

Out came the engine and i took it into work to rebuild.

[Image: IMG_0497.jpg]

Once i had the engine in bits it was in a pretty bad state, in the end i decided that it would be cheaper and easier to just buy a known good engine and use that, the old engine block was full of corrosion (i'm pretty sure the previous owner hadnt used any antifreeze), the head had cracked with bits missing and various other things put me off wanting to rebuild it, despite the fact i had many of the parts needed new sat spare in my room.

[Image: IMG_0623.jpg]

[Image: IMG_0671.jpg]

[Image: IMG_0652.jpg]

I ended up going down to Southampton for the new engine, it had just had a cambelt done, new plugs and an ally crank pulley for a reasonable price.

Got home with the new engine and kept it in the trailer for a while until i had sorted the engine bay out, there was plenty of gunk and surface rust which i wanted to take care of first.

[Image: 73e4e74f.jpg]

[Image: 76006773.jpg]

[Image: 7fc4dc9b.jpg]

Whilst the engine was out i decided to get rid of the ABS and air con, any most other stuff not needed like fog lights etc. So i stripped the engine bay loom of everything not needed, and bought a smaller lighter alternator.
I decided to make my own custom aux belt setup and to keep the alternator and PAS pump lower down, so i drew up a relocation bracket in cad and sent it off to be laser cut.

[Image: PASrelocation2.jpg]

[Image: f1ec3c64.jpg]

[Image: 00be2770.jpg]

[Image: 6208607a.jpg]

Whilst i was doing all this i was also buying loads of other stuff which would be needed for refitting, including a seam welded subframe, one of Phill's lower braces, roller bearing wishbone bushes, copper nickel brake line and fittings, braided flexi brake lines, discs, pads, cable and terminals for relocating the battery to under the boot floor, a new racing battery, oil pressure sensor and gauge, and probably some other stuff that i've forgotten now.

[Image: b5ff8530.jpg]

[Image: 82d6e581.jpg]

[Image: 64f907be.jpg]

[Image: c8d135bf.jpg]

[Image: 9b3c59e1.jpg]

[Image: dd2e516f.jpg]

[Image: 1f25c147.jpg]

I made some adjustable drop links too.

[Image: 4451512b.jpg]

The old beam mounts looked a bit aged, so i whipped them off and welded them up, making them nice and solid.

[Image: 74575fee.jpg]

[Image: 5c041803.jpg]

I was getting ready for the engine to go in, so fitted a rich w billet flywheel.

[Image: 9435900e.jpg]

Baker BM lower engine mount.

[Image: 40ef3d02.jpg]

Engine in.

[Image: bcbba5b8.jpg]

New colour scheme. lol

[Image: 963f2b17.jpg]

Middle of the way through stripping the noise deadening tar and sorting the new brake setup with the bias valve.

[Image: bac22753.jpg]

New rear dampers with new braided lines.

[Image: 7160516a.jpg]

[Image: f69d3e7c.jpg]

[Image: 0d6e82b7.jpg]

Ducting to help keep the brakes cool was also fitted, as i have a tendancy of late braking, and i've melted the DS2500 pad material to a few discs before so thought this would be sufficient. It has done well but i have managed to still melt the pads a couple of times after a longer session on track or two laps of the nordschleife back to back.

[Image: ae76c0ba.jpg]

[Image: 7cce63f5.jpg]

New Nissens ally rad and twin 13 row oil cooler setup.

[Image: 8fa59652.jpg]

[Image: 2eca4658.jpg]

The new battery tucked away under the boot floor.

[Image: f613d4b8.jpg]

Just incase, it is french after all. lol

[Image: 8cc3eec0.jpg]

Eventually got round to trying to start it, but it wouldnt fire. After a bit of tinkering we eventually got it running, but oil was getting into the coolant. After a while i decided to test the heat exchanger to see if it was that, or the head gasket causing it. Luckily it was the heat exchanger, so i got another and used that one instead.

I took it to the nurburgring shortly after getting it running ok, but had many many issues, so only got 4 laps in over a weekend. Once i got home i sorted out the things which had caused me grief, two coilpacks went, the crank sensor went, the high pressure hose popped off the pump (T bolt style mikalors arent enough to hold it on Doh lol) and another spare clutch cable.
I now have a spare of pretty much every sensor which i take to trackdays now. lol

[Image: 247911_10150275425287154_592997153_89112...6589_n.jpg]

[Image: bf60254d.jpg]

Since sorting it out then i've done quite a few trackdays in the UK.
After a while i decided it might be a good idea to get some sort of roll cage, i don't like the idea of bolt in ones, so got in touch with Phill, after a few PM's my car was SORN'd for winter and off it went to his workshop.

Got the car back and started to paint the interior.

[Image: 4044cbd4.jpg]

[Image: ad103b95.jpg]

New seats, being looked after by my dog. lol

[Image: 2b7fd8f5.jpg]

Fitted new aerocatches to the bonnet and boot.

[Image: 0c6bc67c.jpg]

[Image: 2ad5013b.jpg]

[Image: ff0226c3.jpg]

I made my own lexan windows, and fitted them, and fitted the 4 point harnesses i'd picked up from the gti6 forum too.

[Image: cb8156f7.jpg]

[Image: 8eb1a57d.jpg]

Fitted some of Miles' gear linkages and fitted Baker BM top engine and gearbox mounts.

[Image: e2a8436b.jpg]

Made up a new dash fascia for some switches and gauges.

[Image: 4873c989.jpg]

[Image: b9fc21cb.jpg]

Made a rear undertray to fill the void where the spare wheel used to sit.

[Image: 1cf5489e.jpg]

[Image: 738b6f98.jpg]

New induction setup.

[Image: c32d5b35.jpg]

Recently had both front wheel bearings replaced, new balljoints and track rod ends. Running parallel toe.

[Image: 7b7f5f2a.jpg]

Fitted window borders to try and make it look a little more oem.

[Image: f53ec994.jpg]

A few pics from trackdays:

[Image: 62650-4448004cbcbe8dde459c46e44238125c.jpg]

[Image: 2.jpg]

[Image: DSC_6904.jpg]

[Image: DSC_4966.jpg]

Currently my fastest lap of the nordschleife. Only done around 20 laps or so to date.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eLNxGRd6...ature=plcp

I think that's about all for now. Smile
Thanks given by:
Wow. What an awesome build So much work has gone into this, I'll definitely be following Smile

I'd hate to imagine how much this has cost you. I imagine you stay away from the 'Parts for Sale' section these days lol
Thanks given by:
(08-10-2012, 05:52 PM)Scott Wrote: I'd hate to imagine how much this has cost you. I imagine you stay away from the 'Parts for Sale' section these days lol

Last time i added up how much i've spent i realised it was a silly thing to work out. lol
I'm constantly checking the parts for sale sections, its like an addiction. Before work, during the lunch break, as soon as i get home then periodically through the evening. Luckily there hasnt been too much come up for sale which i want for the last few months, gave my savings a chance to recover slightly. Big Grin
Thanks given by:
I'm guessing you've not seen the BakerBM group buy in our 'parts' section then whistle But then again it looks like you've got pretty much everything they sell anywya haha.

I know the feeling though, I spend way too much time looking at shiny new bits for the car! That's a proper effort cleaning back everything in the engine bay there though. Very impressed Smile
Thanks given by:
This what you call a saving a car from the dead. Looks an amazing project you really have gone above and beond with this. Most people dont even put this much time and effort in cleaning and making things look good on thier day to day cars. Would love to clean and paint every thing on my 6 like this but just dont have the time. Sad but again very nice job mate

[Image: DSC_0190-Copy_zpsf093f84d.jpg]
Member of 99% warning or your nothing club!

Thanks given by:
Awesome build mate Smile I'd been watching your videos on YouTube for a while now, trying to learn the 'ring Tongue
'99 Ph3 Diablo Gti(Victor) Dead
Astor 'X' 4 GTi6-6 - SOLD! Sad
'08 LY Renault Megane RS 230 F1 Team R26 - GONE
'56 BMW Z4 Coupe 3.0si Sport - SCHWIIIING!
Thanks given by:
That's some really impressive work you've put into this Smile awesome stuff
Thanks given by:
Id heard you know your way around a ring quite well already Ed

#troll

Sorry just had to say it

Thanks given by:
Quality project mate, makes me want to spend money on a cage
Thanks given by:
Buy some black vinyl and make the windows look like the above first Chris...
Thanks given by:
(08-10-2012, 07:17 PM)Curt Wrote: Buy some black vinyl and make the windows look like the above first Chris...

Vinyl pfffff , black paint and some masking tape FTW im with curt though chris you need to do this looks sweet as. Especialy as it dosnt have the bolts in it

Thanks given by:
Great read.

Love everything about it, I think we've all wanted a second car we can modify without compromise!

If I had one criticism then it would be the colour! Isn't it called Peugeot Early Morning Piss Yellow?!! Hehe
Disclaimer: The above is not to be taken to heart and is probably a joke, grow up you big girl.
[Image: Sig500x130.png]
Thanks given by:
^^ lol

I started out thinking what a shame it's blaze, but after reading it all I honestly couldn't care less what colour it was as the amount of work that's gone into it far outweighs whatever colour it is for me.
Thanks given by:
Yeah, it is a bit of a shame it's blaze. I have been contemplating painting it Bianca white like the inside, but i decided that looking through the hundreds of photographs from each 'ring trip is infinitely easier when the car is such a horrible colour, nobody else has one the same so it stands right out. lol

Thanks for the compliments lads. Smile
Thanks given by:
Getting bored of the 6 forum? It seems pretty dead over there now, I think a lot of people didn't bother renewing membership...

How do you find parallel toe on the road? I think mine is set quite close to parallel (asked garage to set it in between recommended amount and parallel) and find that it can be a bit 'darty' when crossing white lines at 70mph+.
[Image: sigjpg.jpg]
Serious.
Thanks given by:
Bloody hell! What a build! No expense spared then lol done well! Very nice car
[Image: IMG_20130925_181339_zps95df48fa.jpg]
Thanks given by:
i take my hat off to you sir what an epic build
[Image: jhhjjhjhjh.jpg]
Thanks given by:
(08-10-2012, 06:02 PM)Prism7guy Wrote: gave my savings a chance to recover slightly. Big Grin

Don't worry, we'll fix that this winter.
Thanks given by:
Awsome build, mean watching it on 306gti6.com.And prism's a animal at the ring.
[Image: Cn91r40h.jpg] 
Astor 6 Fast road/track project
Thanks given by:
(08-10-2012, 09:27 PM)lewisdmz Wrote: Getting bored of the 6 forum? It seems pretty dead over there now, I think a lot of people didn't bother renewing membership...

How do you find parallel toe on the road? I think mine is set quite close to parallel (asked garage to set it in between recommended amount and parallel) and find that it can be a bit 'darty' when crossing white lines at 70mph+.

The '6 forum has quietened down a bit, still spend a load of time on there though.
I dont find the parallel toe too bad, i've got uniroyal rainsport 2's on it for road use and i hate them beyond belief, way too soft sidewall for my liking. When i go over white lines it does tend to try and pull to one side if i'm accelerating or braking.

(08-10-2012, 10:28 PM)Rippthrough Wrote:
(08-10-2012, 06:02 PM)Prism7guy Wrote: gave my savings a chance to recover slightly. Big Grin

Don't worry, we'll fix that this winter.

This is what scares me. lol
Thanks given by:
Jalopnik's Worst Car Colours Ever Offered

Early Morning Piss Gold made the #2 spot, I thought of your thread :p
Disclaimer: The above is not to be taken to heart and is probably a joke, grow up you big girl.
[Image: Sig500x130.png]
Thanks given by:
Amazing with a capital 'A' that mate.

All of it is very interesting, but i'm most intrigued by your undertray! Did you engineer that with any science in mind? Or was it kind of put together and hope for the best? If so has it made a noticeable difference?

I would have thought if you were modifying the under car air flow, the effort should go towards the front end of the car. Not sure about the 306 specifically, but generally speaking most of the drag is caused by cooling aspects (i.e. radiator, intercooler, oil cooler)

Anyway, keep up the great work Big Grin
Thanks given by:
There was no real science in mind with the undertray, there was a bit of a discussion about it on the gti6 forum and it was mentioned that the bumper can act as a bit of a parachute due to the void left by removing the spare wheel. I thought for the cost of the plastic and weight, it was worth giving a go to try and blank it off.
I can't really say i've noticed any real difference since fitting it, and i havent bothered doing any CFD analysis, it's staying on though as it helps keep crap off the battery. lol
Thanks given by:
Awwww mate, I was expecting you to have spent the day at a wind tunnel and to blow me away with facts and figures haha. Fair enough.

Do you have any more major plans or are we pretty much looking at the finished article?
Thanks given by:
It's far from finished, the only problem at the moment is the things i want to do to it are expensive, and i'm crap at saving up. lol

I tend to try and get a few trackdays under my belt during the summer months so spend all my money on doing them, then do the shiny parts purchasing during winter. The last trackday i'm doing this year is Oulton Park in November.

If everything goes to plan i'll have a nice new beam sorted out soon, then i can buy some adjustable topmounts to sort out the camber at the front.
Then i can get round to buying the pads and rotors i need to start making my new front brake setup.
Once that little lot is out of the way i can then start chasing more power. Big Grin

Chances are i'll only get the suspension and brakes sorted by next summer, so it will give me chance to decide whether i want to go for high compression N/A or supercharged.
Thanks given by:
On this, I'd say go for N/A. There's a 205 with a GTi6 engine producing 285BHP, That sort of power would be so awesome!
Welding and fabrication projects undertaken, contact me for more information.

Thanks given by:
that was a really good read and an epic build! Just makes me want a track 6 even more now! D:
Thanks given by:
Neither N/A or S/C... Turbo ninja
Thanks given by:
That's a pretty thorough project, nice! What is it you've made the undertray from and how have you fixed it in place?
306 HDi Deathtrap - 130bhp / 220lbft
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
The undertray is made out of 10mm thick corrugated plastic, the sort of stuff that's used on conservatory roofs.
I mounted some ally plate to the old brackets that held the spare wheel in place to secure it at the front, and simply bolted through the lip under the bumper at the rear. I used some epoxy to hold some ally flat along the length of it where it was being bolted to give it extra strength, and made some little 10mm long aluminium spacers to sit inside it to prevent it from getting crushed when i tighten the capscrews.
A few pictures to try and explain better.

[Image: 2b08745e.jpg]

[Image: f2bd79af.jpg]

[Image: 1cf5489e.jpg]
Thanks given by: