Toms306s "Bit Of A 'State"

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Toms306s "Bit Of A 'State"
(05-10-2012, 07:49 PM)Toms306 Wrote: My mum doesn't care. Its too old for her. According to her I shouldnt get anything 'older' than 5 years because theyre all shit lol.

i like how this woman thinks... whistle
[Image: k6f9Fk]

Member of the 99% warning or you're nothing club
Thanks given by:
Lol less than a day doing routine maintenance on my hdi that hasn't moved in 3 months and it is running sweet as, even on 237K.. Smile
Night Blue VW Golf 7 GTD : Bianca 306 Rallye : Mini Cooper D (The Mrs')
[Image: wallye-gtd.JPG?raw=1]
HDi Owner for 200k/9 years
Thanks given by:
(05-10-2012, 07:54 PM)burnmw Wrote:
(05-10-2012, 07:49 PM)Toms306 Wrote: My mum doesn't care. Its too old for her. According to her I shouldnt get anything 'older' than 5 years because theyre all shit lol.

But she has a point.....her petrol swift has more power, quicker 0-60 AND more mpg than the HDi lol. lol

That may well be so, but of course the obvious downside is, you'd have to drive a Suzuki Swift...Confused

I like the swift! Tongue Given the choice between that or the HDi....if I didnt need boot space and had a spare £12k I know which I'd be driving. Wink

(05-10-2012, 07:57 PM)samass Wrote:

i like how this woman thinks... whistle

Undecided

(05-10-2012, 08:01 PM)C2K Wrote: Lol less than a day doing routine maintenance on my hdi that hasn't moved in 3 months and it is running sweet as, even on 237K.. Smile

Yeah yeah, rub it in! In my defence, this car hasnt been looked after at all, and had been sitting a lot onger than 3 months lol. Tongue
Thanks given by:
TBH Tom, it does appear you have one with a few issues, but they're all easily fixed. You've done the hard part (clutch), now get it through an MOT and fix the niggles..

And what ECU is it? I'll send you a good stage 1 map if it's the right one, improved the MPG on my old 'state by a fair bit!
Welding and fabrication projects undertaken, contact me for more information.

Thanks given by:
(05-10-2012, 09:01 PM)Jonny81191 Wrote: TBH Tom, it does appear you have one with a few issues, but they're all easily fixed. You've done the hard part (clutch), now get it through an MOT and fix the niggles..

And what ECU is it? I'll send you a good stage 1 map if it's the right one, improved the MPG on my old 'state by a fair bit!

ive already got 6 maps for it! Just whether or not we trust them or not! To be fair the car only cost £300 and probably spent about £200 on it so its not too bad!
Thanks given by:
(05-10-2012, 09:01 PM)Jonny81191 Wrote: TBH Tom, it does appear you have one with a few issues, but they're all easily fixed. You've done the hard part (clutch), now get it through an MOT and fix the niggles..

No the clutch was easy...its all nuts and bolts.....its the electrickery and EML that's the hard part! I do have an elm327 coming in the post now though.

Tbh I don't really trust Sams maps as we're not sure of the source, he can do what he likes when he gets the car back but I'd rather not use maps that I can't prove their scource. Smile
Thanks given by:
I wouldn't bother with maps from no where. I know as ingot my map from whippy I know it's good. And it gets the full potentional from stage 1.
But seriously stop moaning and mot it before decisions are made. It may surprise you!
And to be fair I like diesels. Don't think I'll go back to petrol for a long time. I can afford to run a petrol engine. But why bother diesels are getting just as powerful and are cheaper to run! That's why I'm either getting a vw bora tdi or a Audi a3 tdi Smile I keep thinking well why not get petrol and have them awesome Bawppp noises but when I go in my cousins car it does my head in!
#2 Moonstone Blue HDI
[Image: 6b0c7309-5184-463c-9f73-2a7b96601418_zpsfdf041fe.jpg]
Thanks given by:
As I keep saying, MOT is next week! Tongue. Just need to sort EML first lol. Most other things are done now. Pumped up the spare. Gonna sort the backbox join tomoro and somehow clip the fuel lines back up.

Then will book it in for inner CV boot, tyre repair and MOT all at my local garage. See what happens and go from there. Smile

And I like the diesel for a lazy drive and (theoretical) mpg. But the noise, lack of revs, crap power delivery all make me want a petrol again. I mean the Avensis wasn't quick, but it revved well, sounded nice on throttle and had a reasonably smooth delivery. But it was noisy and revved high at constant motorway speeds, drunk a lot of fuel for what power it had and wasnt as easy round town/hills as the diesel as I don't use the handbrake usually, just pull away on the clutch, off the brake onto the throttle.....that doesn't happen in a petrol though lol. So they both have pros and cons. The ideal would be two cars, but I'm not rich enough lol.
Thanks given by:
cable ties ftw to fix the fuel lines! Big Grin
Thanks given by:
Right you want something nippy, good mpg and goes bawp.
You perfect car can be yours for grand total of... £300

Isn't she a beauty.
Her names turd! Only got 130k on clock! And makes noises like a dying dog!
Everyone told me I couldn't polish a turd so yesterday I spent 8 hours proving them wrong and now I have a polished turd!
#2 Moonstone Blue HDI
Thanks given by:
(05-10-2012, 09:58 AM)Pugmarshall Wrote: I'm serious they sell them in most VW places usually by the Camper/Beetle radiators

I see what you did there lol
[Image: tapatalk_1427020983519_zpsnwvozlhb.jpeg]
Thanks given by:
(05-10-2012, 08:10 PM)Toms306 Wrote:
(05-10-2012, 08:01 PM)C2K Wrote: Lol less than a day doing routine maintenance on my hdi that hasn't moved in 3 months and it is running sweet as, even on 237K.. Smile

Yeah yeah, rub it in! In my defence, this car hasnt been looked after at all, and had been sitting a lot onger than 3 months lol. Tongue

I went to South Africa 18 months ago, it sat for 3 months, 6 months, 6 months and 3 more months. I also don't come on here to moan about every tiny little thing wrong with it, I just MTFU and fix it. She's running beautiful as it happens.

It might not be like a golf for X and Z, but at least the engine works which is more than can be said for your Golf. Your Golf mpg may have been better but it can't do much with a f*cked engine! Think you need to stop looking a gift horse in the mouth tbh as if it was my car i'd have taken it back long ago.
Night Blue VW Golf 7 GTD : Bianca 306 Rallye : Mini Cooper D (The Mrs')
[Image: wallye-gtd.JPG?raw=1]
HDi Owner for 200k/9 years
Thanks given by:
(05-10-2012, 10:56 PM)SRowell Wrote: cable ties ftw to fix the fuel lines! Big Grin

Yeah that's the ideal but its finding some sort of mounting point first! Confused

(06-10-2012, 12:45 AM)kentiiboii Wrote: Right you want something nippy, good mpg and goes bawp.
You perfect car can be yours for grand total of... £300

Isn't she a beauty.
Her names turd!
Only got 130k on clock! And makes noises like a dying dog!
Everyone told me I couldn't polish a turd so yesterday I spent 8 hours proving them wrong and now I have a polished turd!

Lol, you could've had a diesel 106 for that price, would've been much cheaper to fuel. Tongue. And yes I polished a turd too, waste of time isn't it lol.

(06-10-2012, 07:32 AM)C2K Wrote:
(05-10-2012, 08:10 PM)Toms306 Wrote:

I went to South Africa 18 months ago, it sat for 3 months, 6 months, 6 months and 3 more months. I also don't come on here to moan about every tiny little thing wrong with it, I just MTFU and fix it. She's running beautiful as it happens.

It might not be like a golf for X and Z, but at least the engine works which is more than can be said for your Golf. Your Golf mpg may have been better but it can't do much with a f*cked engine! Think you need to stop looking a gift horse in the mouth tbh as if it was my car i'd have taken it back long ago.

Your situations slightly different to mine though, you're clearly of an age where you have enough money and knowledge to fix anything and everything on yours. And leaving it for months at a time shouldt be a problem....as I said its clearly been looked after to acheive a milage like that.....the estate will not hit that milage, I am so sure of that I'll eat the car if it does.

My silver golf is still running fine, just not with me. Yes the blue one failed, but its only the 2nd 130 to have failed cams on the dubgen forum that covers the whole of EA.....I was just unlucky with it. I'm more comparing the hdi to golfs in general, not just the blue one.

As for looking a gift horse in the mouth, everyone knows by now I tell stuff as it is....do you want me say its really quick and good on fuel? Cos it isn't either of those things. If someone leant you a blunt saw, would you carry on with it taking a week to cut a hole or would you tell them honestly that it was shit, and then sharpen/replace the blade for them?

Not sure if you think I'm basically stealing the car, but way I see it, Sam will come back to a fully working car with a recent service, MOT and tax.....which would have otherwise still been rotting on axle stands on his nans drive until Xmas. We're helping eachother out.
Thanks given by:
I got a car that's better than any 106 nad on fuel.

I put £20 in and it's lasted over a month.

Beat that golf!
Big Grin

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

#2 Moonstone Blue HDI
Thanks given by:
Erm...

[Image: Estatestuff2057.jpg]

Tongue
Thanks given by:
Fixed the fuel line lol...

[Image: Fuelline009.jpg]

And the backbox clamp nuts were loose so I removed the clamp, cleaned it up and put it back with some new exhaust paste, i think thats cured the blow!

Didn't get the ELM today though. Sad Better come Monday!
Thanks given by:

#2 Moonstone Blue HDI
Thanks given by:
(06-10-2012, 06:11 AM)THE_Liam Wrote:
(05-10-2012, 09:58 AM)Pugmarshall Wrote: I'm serious they sell them in most VW places usually by the Camper/Beetle radiators

And the penny still hasn't dropped for Tom Dodgy
Thanks given by:
(06-10-2012, 06:03 PM)Pugmarshall Wrote:
(06-10-2012, 06:11 AM)THE_Liam Wrote:

And the penny still hasn't dropped for Tom Dodgy

If its a vw related joke I'm not gonna get it. I know about mk4s but nothing else vag lol.

Edit - oh wait, they're aircooled aren't they. Tongue

Get it now.
Thanks given by:
Well, I now have elm 327.....but can't get it to work. Sad

EML is the last thing that needs sorting as well, wanted it in for MOT this week! Confused
Thanks given by:
Still take it in.
I don't see why people spend loads of money on cars before mot. Cos you know you'll take it and it will fail on shit loads more.
As for elm did you change to com port 2? I always use it with xp pro as it didn't seem to like 7.
#2 Moonstone Blue HDI
Thanks given by:
Nah I used port 3 as something happened there, but then it still couldn't find the car.

Reason for not taking it in is it could pass with advisories if there's no major fail....but if there's one fail (like the EML) they're more likely to 'bulk up' the fail list with things that could just have been advised.

I can't really afford to take it off the road so it needs to pass within a day really!
Thanks given by:
Eml isn't a fail tom, the Volvo passed with it on. Only warning that is a fail is abs afaik

Thanks given by:
Air bag lights a fail too.but yeah mine passed with eml. It got a advisory if I remember right but that's it.
#2 Moonstone Blue HDI
Thanks given by:
So is the EML a fail?

Has anyone suggested that if you can't turn it off, take the fecking bulb out?
Disclaimer: The above is not to be taken to heart and is probably a joke, grow up you big girl.
[Image: Sig500x130.png]
Thanks given by:
(09-10-2012, 08:53 AM)samass Wrote: Eml isn't a fail tom, the Volvo passed with it on. Only warning that is a fail is abs afaik

I thought this was one of the 2012 new rules though?

Any dash lights (ABS, airbag, EML) are fail now I thought??

I know they never used to be, the 1.4 passed with EML on...thats the only other MOT I've had done lol...in 3 years and 10 cars.... Confused

Edit - Chris a removed bulb is a fail too.....the lights should iluminate on ign on then go off...if they dont operate like this, fail.
Thanks given by:
If the tester doesn't know it's there it's highly unlikely they will look for it. All the other lights illuminate on ignition prior to startup. I would wager that it would pass anyway.

I think that's half the problem, you've only put 1 car through 1 MOT test. I've paid out for loads of MOT tests, drop car off, come back later and pay. I think you're worrying too much.
Disclaimer: The above is not to be taken to heart and is probably a joke, grow up you big girl.
Thanks given by:
He's gonna know there should be an engine management light there......

I'll get away with the side airbag bulb not being there unless they really know about 306s, but not the EML if it is a reason for fail.......but no-ones proved either way yet and I'm starting to doubt myself!

Plus I've only taken my car to one, but I've helped out with several at a few garages (mainly Honda and Ford dealers) and I'm sure I remember the guy I was working with at Ford earlier this year telling me about the EML becoming a fail this year, as well as all doors having to open from inside and outside, all boots having to be good rather than just CV ones etc etc.
Thanks given by:
(09-10-2012, 08:54 AM)kentiiboii Wrote: Air bag lights a fail too.but yeah mine passed with eml. It got a advisory if I remember right but that's it.

no it isnt. it was one of the regulations they were going to bring in, but never actually did. and they havent announced a date for it to be brought in. this comes from an mot tester btw, not just some rubbish im spouting.

also, EML is also only an advisory, want me to show you the mot cert for the volvo?

airbags ones easy anyway, either bridge the bulb from the abs light, or stick a resistor in it...

Thanks given by:
You're still panicking too much.

Take it to somewhere that offers a free retest and see how it goes, if the EML is picked up on then you were right, you'll have a week to sort it out anyway.
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Puglove's onxy 'state, bye bye puglove 299 112,444 24-02-2014, 10:16 PM
Last Post: Eeyore
  The State maxlee 23 4,916 27-01-2014, 07:14 PM
Last Post: procta
  Toms306s Project - Fodge! Toms306 385 99,232 27-01-2013, 05:45 PM
Last Post: Toms306