Toms306s "Bit Of A 'State"

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Toms306s "Bit Of A 'State"
That sounds like a lot of work tbh lol.....

Anyway, few bits to update......

Sorted a replacement airbox...the TPS now stays still, makes throttle much nicer and stops the awful jerking at gearchanges (well most of it lol).

[Image: GolfpartsforsaleAlsoHDi001.jpg]

Must admit...I wish it had a little more load space though.... Tongue

[Image: GolfpartsforsaleAlsoHDi006.jpg]

Onto the clocks.....the reason they wouldnt stay still is cos some 'tard had pushed them too far back....so the tab was behind where it should've been...right pita to get out!

[Image: GolfpartsforsaleAlsoHDi057.jpg]

And what a surprise....shitty LEDs in there! Confused

[Image: GolfpartsforsaleAlsoHDi059.jpg]

So gonna get some proper 509t bulbs to replace them with...seeing as only 2 are illuminating the entire clocks now.....But also, am I missing some bulbs? Theres clearly one missing where the temp guage is (Id already removed one)...but is that airbag light missing? Which I guess would be an MOT fail if its not there.....and if its not there I guess it'll be on constantly lol. Rolleyes Also, the one next to it is like a diagonal line with a circle in the centre.....whats that? Should there be a bulb in there?

[Image: GolfpartsforsaleAlsoHDi058.jpg]
Thanks given by:
I think you have then all. I remember there was lots missing on mine.
#2 Moonstone Blue HDI
[Image: 6b0c7309-5184-463c-9f73-2a7b96601418_zpsfdf041fe.jpg]
Thanks given by:
You are bringing back nightmares for me now Tom

I've never wanted to burn a car part more than I wanted to burn my clocks trying to get all the bulbs to light up!

RAGE!!!
Thanks given by:
Lol, getting them to light up wont be a problem when I have some real bulbs.....rather than these shitty ebay LEDs! And are you sure Kent...I'll leave it as is then! Smile

Also....bought the car a present.....no service history and the spanners on so should do it some good! Big Grin

[Image: EsyateService013.jpg]
Thanks given by:
(01-10-2012, 01:33 PM)Toms306 Wrote: So gonna get some proper 509t bulbs to replace them with...seeing as only 2 are illuminating the entire clocks now.....But also, am I missing some bulbs? Theres clearly one missing where the temp guage is (Id already removed one)...but is that airbag light missing? Which I guess would be an MOT fail if its not there.....and if its not there I guess it'll be on constantly lol. Rolleyes Also, the one next to it is like a diagonal line with a circle in the centre.....whats that? Should there be a bulb in there?

When you switch the engine on, does the airbag light self test (light up, then go off), if so then the bulb must be there...
[Image: 306Green5DrSig.png]
Thanks given by:
One does Martin, but Im sure there should be two?? Driven so many different cars though it might not be the 306 that's like that!
Thanks given by:
theres 2 if its got side airbags i think
Thanks given by:
Well being an X reg meridian I'm pretty sure it does have side airbags..........will check the side of the seat when I go out, would that be the top right light (left looking from the back).

Also, does anyone know how the doors open warning works? Does it just simply work off the door switches? I take it they're not complicated enough to use microswitches in the door lock module like another type of car that I've worked on recently.... Rolleyes
Thanks given by:
To answer the question....yes it has side airbags.

Also, bought some bulbs today.....about 20quids worth! Good old trade card meant I paid just under a fiver for them though. Big Grin

Also got a new aerial terminal.

On another note.....got fuel today after a week of hdi ownership....400 miles....£50! Confused. Yeah....its only doing 50mpg! Sad Hopefully it gets better after tomorrow.

Tomorow should be Pug day weather permitting....find and cure boost leak, service, sort radio and clocks, try and line the bumper up as its on the piss atm, and also fit the new hockey stick clips.....and anything else that needs doing before MOT lol.
Thanks given by:
50mpg is about right for a HDi unless you drive like a faggot.

Do you do nothing but find things you don't like about this car/Peugeots, then say how much better Volkwagens or Toyota's are? Why don't you piss off and buy another Golf and spam the VagFag forums?! :p
Thanks given by:
check your wanted thread again on .net Tom......
Thanks given by:
This is what my gti shows at start up should be pretty much the same

[Image: 2012-10-03083023.jpg]
Thanks given by:
(02-10-2012, 09:46 PM)Pugmarshall Wrote: 50mpg is about right for a HDi unless you drive like a faggot.

Do you do nothing but find things you don't like about this car/Peugeots, then say how much better Volkwagens or Toyota's are? Why don't you piss off and buy another Golf and spam the VagFag forums?! :p

When have I ever said the Toyota was better at anything lol? It's horrible! Plus it took ages to start yesterday too...useless heap....

But on another note, surely you can see why I'm not pleased with a car that has half thepower of the golf, less weight, 30,000 less miles etc etc still only does 50mpg. I thought the idea of getting such little power from a 2.0 diesel was for epic mpg....but it clearly isnt!

As I say, i know its broken atm.....but even with the large amounts of coal I blew from the golf, driving like a twat more often than not got at least 10 more mpg.

Only real differences are no cruise control so rather than sit at 60 I'm creeping up to 65/70 but even that shouldn't kill mpg so badly. The only other thing is with the golf I was on the throttle for max 10 seconds at a time, booting up to 70, then coasting back down to 45ish for overtakes on my backroad as the golf held speed better and used no fuel coasting down. That doesn't happen in the hdi....overtakes take forever on the throttle, and I don't hit 70 quick let alone coast back from it lol.

Does mean that I can prove to my mum that slow cars AREN'T better on fuel! Rolleyes

(03-10-2012, 06:19 AM)gareth7 Wrote: check your wanted thread again on .net Tom......

Will do... Smile

(03-10-2012, 07:47 AM)rocker8742 Wrote: This is what my gti shows at start up should be pretty much the same

[Image: 2012-10-03083023.jpg]

Hmm ok.....that looks different to mine anyway I think. Undecided
Thanks given by:
Not sure how you've missed this, but nobody gives a f*ck about golfs, yours in particular.

The vibration that's shaking your rvm, that's unusual, i would be taking a close look at your engine mounts. Does sound like the car's a bit worse for wear, fair play for getting on with it and fixing her up.
306 HDi Deathtrap - 130bhp / 220lbft
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
Its not about the Golf though.......its about how the HDi compares to it, which is not well tbh! Undecided I'll be honest, now I've got used to it again, I do prefer a lot of things about the 306 over the Golf......but trust me on this, the HDi engine isn't one of those things lol!!! Was tempted by a local low milage china 1.8 the other day....same to tax, same to insure, wouldn't cost much more more to fuel, plus the noise and the revs....mmmmmmm, but no, I'll stick with this for now lol.

And yeah that vibration isnt good, sounds loud and rough at idle too, and seems to 'jerk' at 1200ish rpm in any gear on a flat road, not sure if its missing slightly or if it is just the mount.....I know the mounts probably not good, as when we left the engine and box jacked up for weeks (when the golf failed so i couldnt get over there) both jacks dropped over time! So the lot was just supported by the engine mounts without the 'box mount for a while. Confused
Thanks given by:
Yes Tom, but you're forgetting that it would be less than half the price of a Golf. This has a massive effect on these cars through the people who buy them, a lot of people buy them as a cheap car to use and abuse then sell on.

Change fuel filter and put some injector cleaner through. My mum has a moonstone HDi estate and usually gets 50mpg, sometimes 55ish on a run. The good thing is they don't usually drop below 50 if you thrash them, but you don't have to worry about that!
Thanks given by:
(03-10-2012, 08:43 AM)Poodle Wrote: Not sure how you've missed this, but nobody gives a f*ck about golfs, yours in particular.

This. Shut up about the Golf for f*cks sake. It finally disappears from the forum and your still f*cking going on about it.

HDI looks good by the way, and 50mpg sounds about right to me, a service will help though. My dads 406 HDI was always far worse on juice when it was due a service Wink
[Image: tapatalk_1427020983519_zpsnwvozlhb.jpeg]
Thanks given by:
(03-10-2012, 10:13 AM)Pugmarshall Wrote: Yes Tom, but you're forgetting that it would be less than half the price of a Golf. This has a massive effect on these cars through the people who buy them, a lot of people buy them as a cheap car to use and abuse then sell on.

Change fuel filter and put some injector cleaner through. My mum has a moonstone HDi estate and usually gets 50mpg, sometimes 55ish on a run. The good thing is they don't usually drop below 50 if you thrash them, but you don't have to worry about that!

My Golf had 7 owners....pretty sure that was just used and abused lol, but I kinda see what you mean. Have done the fuel filter (was rank lol, never seen one so bad tbh!) but I thought you shouldnt use injector cleaner on HDis?

Thrash it? Whats the point of that? The 'power' tails off at 3k anyway lol. Tongue

(03-10-2012, 10:48 AM)THE_Liam Wrote:
(03-10-2012, 08:43 AM)Poodle Wrote: Not sure how you've missed this, but nobody gives a f*ck about golfs, yours in particular.

This. Shut up about the Golf for f*cks sake. It finally disappears from the forum and your still f*cking going on about it.

HDI looks good by the way, and 50mpg sounds about right to me, a service will help though. My dads 406 HDI was always far worse on juice when it was due a service Wink

Might look good from a distance lol. Confused

Done the service this morning so we'll see if it makes a difference. Smile
Thanks given by:
Bosch recommend you don't used injector cleaner.......but I always give mine a dose on MOT day to help with the Italian tune for the emissions test and I've never had a problem doing so. I think as long as you don't use it regularly it'd be fine.....like I said, I only use it once a year.

Now you've serviced it take it for a spin and when it's warm/safe to do so nail it in 3rd and hold her there for a few seconds or so......
Thanks given by:
Well, lots of things happened today!

Firstly, had a look around the 'mishaped' front corner...its a good inch away from where it should be! Confused

[Image: EstateServiceandPreMOT009.jpg]

[Image: EstateServiceandPreMOT010.jpg]

[Image: EstateServiceandPreMOT011.jpg]

And the rad mount, not very mounted lol.

[Image: EstateServiceandPreMOT013.jpg]

Couldn't find a boost leak at all though! Only leak I found was the turbo return pipe, but its got a crimp thing rather than jubilee so will have to stay leaky -

[Image: EstateServiceandPreMOT012.jpg]

Moved on to a bit of a Pre-MOT, mostly looks good but have noticed a few bits -

Inner CV boot split - I believe the inner is just an adisry but it obviously needs sorting

[Image: EstateServiceandPreMOT015.jpg]

Rusty shock - I wouldn't call it 'excessive' rust though, would you? So probs just an advisory too.

[Image: EstateServiceandPreMOT016.jpg]

Wheel catching inner arch liner, nothing I can do about it due to the mishaped corner and the liner being bent out of shape - prob an advisory there.

[Image: EstateServiceandPreMOT017.jpg]

Thanks given by:
If the brake lines were advised LAST YEAR, why wouldn't you just change them?
[Image: tapatalk_1427020983519_zpsnwvozlhb.jpeg]
Thanks given by:
Brake hoses - were advisories last year, would you say they're deteriorated enough for a fail this year?

[Image: EstateServiceandPreMOT018.jpg]

[Image: EstateServiceandPreMOT019.jpg]

Spare is flat, better pump that up!

[Image: EstateServiceandPreMOT029.jpg]

Nail in a tyre....probably get away with that tbh though, unless theyre looking really hard.

[Image: EstateServiceandPreMOT030.jpg]

Leak at the backbox clamp

[Image: EstateServiceandPreMOT031.jpg]

Insecre fuel lines -

[Image: EstateServiceandPreMOT032.jpg]

Whilst under the car I also noticed this fan....lol, hope its only the AC one! Undecided

[Image: EstateServiceandPreMOT021.jpg]

On the plus side, brakes have got better - probs an advisory about rusty discs if they're picky -

[Image: EstateServiceandPreMOT033.jpg]

Then changed air filter, fuel filter, oil and oil filter, oil parts -

[Image: EstateServiceandPreMOT026.jpg]

Left oil and diesel all over so.....

[Image: EstateServiceandPreMOT024.jpg]

Got out the degreaser and a hose....

[Image: EstateServiceandPreMOT025.jpg]

Cleaned it all up underneath and in the bay.

[Image: EstateServiceandPreMOT055.jpg]

Then hockey stick clips - before -

[Image: EstateServiceandPreMOT027.jpg]

After - yay lol

[Image: EstateServiceandPreMOT044.jpg]

Was expecting it to be a pain to bleed after the fuel filter change just like the Golf...but nope, started first time...blew out a bit of shite though lol. Confused

[Image: EstateServiceandPreMOT028.jpg]

Wipers and bulbs are all good atm - even got a genius solution to checking brake lights without a mate lol -

[Image: EstateServiceandPreMOT034.jpg]

SO...moved on to the inside, first the radio aerial connector - re-termination -

[Image: EstateServiceandPreMOT035.jpg]

While there, put the proper cage in and added my steering stalk connector so the stalk works too! Big Grin

[Image: EstateServiceandPreMOT036.jpg]

It was all good until I lost the small screw bit down the dash...DOH! Doh Cue taking out the bloody centre console too lol....cant do anything without at least one fail haha!

[Image: EstateServiceandPreMOT040.jpg]

Anyway,all back together, and the radio works, woop! Radio still moves about though, wont stay in the cage...was the same in the golf though, used to end up on the passenger seat quite often lol.

[Image: EstateServiceandPreMOT041.jpg]

Changed the stupid blue LED bulb for a proper one so I can actually see stuff at night...you know the main function of a light lol.

Then sorted the dash bulbs....woop, full illumination there now. Big Grin

[Image: EstateServiceandPreMOT043.jpg]

Unfortuantely, I've not been able to do anything about the EML yet and the doors open thing is still on all the time, shouldve just took the bub out as all the door switches are working correctly. But we're getting closer to MOT now....so should pass fairly easily I reckon. Smile

(03-10-2012, 07:39 PM)THE_Liam Wrote: If the brake lines were advised LAST YEAR, why wouldn't you just change them?

Same reason the previous owner didnt change them. The bleed nipples on the calipers are just lumps of rust now....you'd never open them to bleed the brakes through after changing! Dodgy
Thanks given by:
Talking about your doors open thing, I went to unlock the car the other night, stuck the key in and turned it, drivers door unlocked. Thought great, loom's dying again... When all of a sudden the other doors popped unlocked as well. Thought I'd got lucky... Got in to the car, shut the door and the interior lights (set to go on with doors open) went to dim but instead of dimming they just flashed on and off. Open the door, lights came on. Shut the door, lights flashed on and off. Eventually managed to get it to stop and it's not happened since, that was end of last week... :S
[Image: 306Green5DrSig.png]
Thanks given by:
Lol...well your car is clearly haunted then Martin!

Thing is, I had a similar problem with the Golf...swapped in another door lock module and it was fine. But there seems to be no fix for this on the 306....as said, the door switches all work because the courtesy lights come on and off as they should so I dont know what else I can try! Undecided

Also, completely unrelated but I'd been wondering about the rear speakers in an estate...knew I could hear some but didnt think estates had them...today noticed they're in the tailgate lol! Big Grin Sound isnt too bad in it now tbh with the JVC headunit, standard rears and my fronts.
Thanks given by:
If your tester does a proper job, that hose will fail. Busy day on the car today, well done! Smile
Thanks given by:
Looking good glad your starting to enjoy it.
I wouldn't spend any more money on it till you have took it for mot you never know could be something major wrong.
#2 Moonstone Blue HDI
[Image: 6b0c7309-5184-463c-9f73-2a7b96601418_zpsfdf041fe.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Hopefully there wont be D: Also all 306 dashs have the icon for doors and also for seat belts too but they dont have bulbs behind. perhaps somebody has just accidentally put a bulb in and because there is no wiring for the car to know if doors are open/closed (or not wired to the dash anyway) then it remains on all of the time? D:
Thanks given by:
(03-10-2012, 10:45 PM)Pugmarshall Wrote: If your tester does a proper job, that hose will fail. Busy day on the car today, well done! Smile

Hmm, if that hose does fail we'll be a bit f*cked tbh, as said the bleed nipples are knackered and will either round or shear! Confused

(03-10-2012, 11:08 PM)kentiiboii Wrote: Looking good glad your starting to enjoy it.
I wouldn't spend any more money on it till you have took it for mot you never know could be something major wrong.

I never said enjoy! Tongue. It's still unbeleiveably slow and not very good on fuel. But I am liking having a car to work on. Smile

Atm it'll fail on EML so need to spend some money on something to fix that, but otherwise, not much more to spend on.

I'm waiting till the 9th of this month to MOT it so it keeps the original date. I've got a feeling I'll be back in the Avensis for a few days though if it fails on anything major... Sad

(04-10-2012, 12:28 AM)SRowell Wrote: Hopefully there wont be D: Also all 306 dashs have the icon for doors and also for seat belts too but they dont have bulbs behind. perhaps somebody has just accidentally put a bulb in and because there is no wiring for the car to know if doors are open/closed (or not wired to the dash anyway) then it remains on all of the time? D:

This is exactly what I thought, cos its only a meridian and its usually meridian SEs that come with a doors open warning lol. Undecided
Thanks given by:
I wouldn't worry too much about the little bent bit at the front - the lower cross-member on mine is looking like a bit of spaghetti after a previous owner hand an argument with a tall kerb. As long as it's structurally sound, it'll be fine!
Disclaimer: The above is not to be taken to heart and is probably a joke, grow up you big girl.
[Image: Sig500x130.png]
Thanks given by:
Lol....I think its ok.......its clearly had a bump AND been pulled by the tow eye (great place to mount the tow eye lol) so thats why theres funny kinks in some of the metal. That tow eye is crap though, every 306 I've seen be towed anywhere has had a f*cked tow eye/mount!!
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Puglove's onxy 'state, bye bye puglove 299 111,646 24-02-2014, 10:16 PM
Last Post: Eeyore
  The State maxlee 23 4,858 27-01-2014, 07:14 PM
Last Post: procta
  Toms306s Project - Fodge! Toms306 385 98,772 27-01-2013, 05:45 PM
Last Post: Toms306