Toms306s "Bit Of A 'State"

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Toms306s "Bit Of A 'State"
It's not gonna happen Kent, I can't drive a car I'm constantly worrying about. I dont think it is the crank sensor at fault, and no-one has a clue about the other EML codes, Ive tried the earths and theres no difference. 'Needs some TLC' is definietly an understatement, I'll let Sam deal with it in his own time though. As for the brakes, they have got slightly better since a lorry pulled out on me last night, I was doing 70ish, he was from a standing start....resulted in mashing the brake pedal unbelievably hard to the point where I felt something 'go'...they're better now though! Still nothing compared to the Avensis or Golf brakes but they probably are about right for a HDi now.

On another note, I have just done a 30-70 in it though....was downhill and I still ran out of sliproad before hitting 70 lol, will give you all a laugh when I upload it...unless they really are this slow standard! Confused

Here it is.......better apologise to Sam for a black man on stereo during the vid.... lol

And listen to that injector tap and boost leak.....mmmmm, whats that, 14 seconds 30-70 DOWHILL!!? lmao

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ac9YPwcsT...e=youtu.be

Don't care what you think of the Golf..............I know which was better 30-70! Tongue

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b1B-VyeYiwY
Thanks given by:
Think you have some issues there :p
Night Blue VW Golf 7 GTD : Bianca 306 Rallye : Mini Cooper D (The Mrs')
[Image: wallye-gtd.JPG?raw=1]
HDi Owner for 200k/9 years
Thanks given by:
(28-09-2012, 12:01 PM)C2K Wrote: Think you have some issues there :p

Yeah, I think the car does as well tbh! Confused Tongue

Whats the 30-70 meant to be on these??
Thanks given by:
yeh problems can all be fixed tom! Itd be boring if there wasnt something to fix! You know you can just tell me what parts it needs and ill fork out so just give me a heads up and we will sort it! Also the EML light is a pretty standard thing Tongue

Havent you already found the codes on these and they were to do from a loose connection? Really cant see how its that bad!

There will be a set of dials cheap enough or in a scrappy some where so thats not a big problem! The brakes youre replacing all of them anyway and as we know it has been sat for a year so it can only get better with use! Worst case scenario is that you break down and get towed back. Which isnt really a problem as you dont drive too far from home anyway!
Thanks given by:
(28-09-2012, 12:24 PM)SRowell Wrote: Worst case scenario is that you break down and get towed back. Which isnt really a problem as you dont drive too far from home anyway!

Just facebooked you about the other stuff mate......but that ^^^^ is much more of a problem for me than you realise!
Thanks given by:
(28-09-2012, 12:28 PM)Toms306 Wrote:
(28-09-2012, 12:24 PM)SRowell Wrote: Worst case scenario is that you break down and get towed back. Which isnt really a problem as you dont drive too far from home anyway!

Just facebooked you about the other stuff mate......but that ^^^^ is much more of a problem for me than you realise!

i just played the videos together and the hdi is like 4.5 seconds slower. Its an older car with a smaller turbo so kind of expected although i agree it should be better.

and it wouldnt be a problem if you had one of these!

[Image: toilets-ploo-toilets.jpeg]

the injector can be replaced and the dials can easily be changed! May be worth checking the fuel filter to see how f*cked it is as that wont be helping at all and if the oil is crap give me a heads up as to how much it is to replace and ill send monies.
Thanks given by:
^Hahahahahahaa

Tom,

You want cheap motoring. You want to be handy with spanners. You want reliability.

Whilst

You want something fast. You want something which you won't have to do much work on.

Seriously, these things don't come without compromises dude. Maybe convert the Estate's spare wheel well into some kind of mobile bog? Complete with some rear curtains for a bit of privacy. No need for a bucket underneath - just drive off quick!

IMO just fix it up, it's not exactly costing you anything to do. This could be some of the cheapest motoring you'll ever do.
Disclaimer: The above is not to be taken to heart and is probably a joke, grow up you big girl.
[Image: Sig500x130.png]
Thanks given by:
Its more than 4.5secs lol, the Golf is around 7secs, the HDi is 14ish!

What I think you guys are missing is that pretty much the entire car needs replacing lol, its actually horrible to drive, I don't think they can all be this bad surely!? BUT what I need above everything else atm is reliability. Cheap to run, well thats not too much of a problem, I just won't go out so much if I have to pay to pay for a petrol VVTi doing only 42mpg average. Fast, also not bothered tbh, just found the HDi 30-70 epically shit lol. And wont have to do much work on, well thats true, I don't mind normal servicing, but spending lots of time and money on a car thats probably only worth £800 seems futile to me.

I honestly dont know what to do tbh.
-I've finally got the Golf onto hardstanding so can start removing stuff to sell so tats a start (although the damntorrential rain stopped me getting the turbo off today, its already provisionally sold and the guys waiting!).
-I've got an Avensis with a full years MOT, most things work on it, its currently insured until Feb - however its a bit thirsty, has no towbar and although the boots big, its high to get things in.
-I've got a borrowed estate, with a towbar and a good luggage space - but has just over a months MOT, it will fail the next one, most things not working, not sure how thirsty it is yet, but the fuel guage goes down quickly only done 150 miles and on the 3/4 mark already, will have to pay an admin fee to swap insurance onto it.

So basically I've got three cars, none of which meet all the criteria, all will cost me money that I really can't afford, and I can't trust any of them. How the hell do I end up in these situations! Confused
Thanks given by:
Tom! Rowell will send you the funds. If I was your whole your sat moaning do sam a favor and take it for a early mot! Know exactly what the car needs. If its worth it do the week a good service while your at it. Any nigley bits you want my car is here. Think it's defferntly going to be broken now as I cba and I'm going to make your mistake and buy a golf but with a boot Smile.
#2 Moonstone Blue HDI
[Image: 6b0c7309-5184-463c-9f73-2a7b96601418_zpsfdf041fe.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Have some respect for the mans car. Hes doing you a favor by loaning you the car so stop complaining and drive it
Thanks given by:
As above stop being a wet blanket and fix the bloody Hdi. Sell the useless avensis and harvest the golf for parts. Get on with it.

Where are you in the country? Someone must be able to help.
Thanks given by:
Most things dont work on it?

All of the electrics work on it, the windows work, the RCL works, all the lights work. Only thing that doesnt work are the brakes as they need running in and probably bleeding and the engine management light. Its like you need a reliable car... but has it actually broken down yet? D:

yeh take it for an early MOT and they may have an idea as to what needs doing to the brakes!
Thanks given by:
Ha ha Tom all over!! Tbh bud Iam not sure why you keep posting!! not beibg horrible but over the last 2 years probably more, all I have seen is you getting mostly good advice, and all you do is find an excuse for every piece of advice given, sell all you own and f*ck off and travel!! Find yourself boy!! You ain't going to find you in your bedroom

Peace
[Image: SDC10442-1.jpg]
Thanks given by:
(28-09-2012, 06:35 PM)SRowell Wrote: Most things dont work on it?

All of the electrics work on it, the windows work, the RCL works, all the lights work. Only thing that doesnt work are the brakes as they need running in and probably bleeding and the engine management light. Its like you need a reliable car... but has it actually broken down yet? D:

yeh take it for an early MOT and they may have an idea as to what needs doing to the brakes!

Yeah the windows work....but the list of faults are-

Rcl...not on my key anyway!
Radio.....turns out the aerial plugs are crimped in so not sure how to fix that
EML.....as the earths are all good, don't know what else to try, and can barely get to the CKP
Clocks....well several bulbs out and the doors open thing is constant, and they won't stay still
Boost....where the hell is it lol? Huge boost leak at best, worn turbo at worst...can't even follow boost hoses though. Such a shit design!
CV boot.....split, chucked grease everywhere, mot fail.
Gearchange....right pita to get some of the gears, needs linkages really, ones just cable tied on now
Aux belt.....lumps missing as you saw.
Throttle.....got a solid airbox to keep the TPS still, but still isn't smooth on the throttle, and jerks at gearchange, possibly engine mounts.
Vibrations....is this normal or f*cked engine mounts? The mirror rattles so much you can't see behind at idle!
Can feel engine....through clutch pedal/gearstick....is that normal, I could just be used to a nice hydro clutch and dmf to stop outside from getting in, bit it does seem a bit excessive.
Pass side foglight.....doesn't work, filled with water and rusty.
The entire car creaks on corners.....yes really, that can't be normal lol?
Wing mirror whistle....granted not a fault but is f*cking annoying!
Struggling....I know its not a powerful engine, but everything seems like a struggle for it, the only other car I've had like that was the 106!
Injector tick....annoying and obviously not good
Vent direction....doesn't seem to direct air, duct missing or broken probably.
Expansion tank hiss....its always hissing, is that normal or a dodgy cap?
Etc, etc, etc....I could go on lol! Confused

Litterally everywhere I look, everything I do, I'm thinking 'sigh that's broken as well' or 'is that right? Should that be happening?' Confused

I could.....take the hdi off the road for a week or so while the Avensis is still here, sort the brakes, the aux belt, a replacement shaft, a decent service, possibly engine mounts and gear links, borrow Sams elm (if that's good for faults?) And try sort the EML, and then take it for an MOT. BUT that's hundreds of pounds worth of parts.....I don't mind doing it, but is it worth it? And it seems unfair on Sam to spend that money.

As said I really don't know what to do tbh. I was really.looking forward to taking a 306 to the 306 meet tomoro, but I don't think I can trust the car enough to do that now. Sad

(28-09-2012, 06:28 PM)C2K Wrote: As above stop being a wet blanket and fix the bloody Hdi. Sell the useless avensis and harvest the golf for parts. Get on with it.

Where are you in the country? Someone must be able to help.

The arse end of nowhere....Shotley, Ipswich.

Someone to help? I've tried asking people for things before, don't if I can help it, but when its desperate have to.....then the majority (few exceptions, Sam for one, but he's in Liverpool most of the time) just let you down over and over, wasted 2 or 3 days, and a fair bit of fuel, this week due to people who say they'll do stuff and then don't. I dunno if people forget or if they just think 'f*ck it, he won't remember' but either way its damn annoying - if I say something, I make damn sure I follow it through, dunno why other people can't do the same. So yeah....asking other people to help physically out of internets....not gonna happen.
Thanks given by:

Tom, its a Peugeot diesel.

slow as standard, but will go forever.

Map it, and itll go faster, but it wont last as long.

If you want something quick, forget MPG and keep the toyota.

If you want MPG, forget quick and get the peugeot.

Although, saying that, you could try buying a 306 that isnt falling apart!

Remember you cant have everything Tom!
Thanks given by:
The Toyota isn't exactly quick lol, but I'll bet it lasts longer than the Peugeot....of those two manufacturer's which has better reliability figures lol. Tongue

No point mapping it with boost leaks and stuff anyway, but a 110 map wouldn't do any harm after a fix and service.

Maybe you missed it but I said id happily drive a 306 again, even a decent hdi estate....just not this one!
Thanks given by:
My 306 is the epitome of cheap motoring. That list of problems could be fixed in a weekend, and most of them are down to neglect and poor maintenance.

If I was home i'd tell you to bring it over and could probably fix half the issues in a weekend. Sadly the rest of this year is ram packed after being away 18 months!
Thanks given by:
Tom! Take it for a mot! Then see what it needs! Then decide!
#2 Moonstone Blue HDI
[Image: 6b0c7309-5184-463c-9f73-2a7b96601418_zpsfdf041fe.jpg]
Thanks given by:
could always buy my 306 estate, it just passed its MOT.......
but its got that 1.8 16v engine, not a dirty dieasal lump...
Thanks given by:
If i was sam id have taken the car back by now after all the shit you have been talking about it lol
Thanks given by:
(29-09-2012, 12:57 PM)Bananalad Wrote: If i was sam id have taken the car back by now after all the shit you have been talking about it lol

This. Im sure you dont mean to be Tom but you are coming across like a right tosser to Sam. Hes lent you the car for nothing, said he will pay for all the parts and mot and all youve got to do is fix them (which you can do. Your a trained mechanic ffs. Just got to have a bit of faith in your abilities)
If i was you, take sam up on the offer of the new parts and fix the main things. They do vibrate a bit on idle, you can feel the engine through the pedals. Its all normal and just the cheap engineering of peugeot that we all love. Most of the things on that list arnt essential to be fixed. Just annoying little things!
Team Eaton

1999 China Blue 306 GTi6 - Eaton Supercharged - 214.5bhp 181lbft
Thanks given by:
Rcl...not on my key anyway!
I have another working key.

Radio.....turns out the aerial plugs are crimped in so not sure how to fix that
a shit load of solder?

EML.....as the earths are all good, don't know what else to try, and can barely get to the CKP
mmm possibly related to the boost. go and get my elm127 and see what comes up!

Clocks....well several bulbs out and the doors open thing is constant, and they won't stay still
new bulbs and dials are cheap

Boost....where the hell is it lol? Huge boost leak at best, worn turbo at worst...can't even follow boost hoses though. Such a shit design!
Boost is more your thing than mine!

CV boot.....split, chucked grease everywhere, mot fail.
Thatll just have to be fixed at the garage

Gearchange....right pita to get some of the gears, needs linkages really, ones just cable tied on now
cheap enough arent they?

Aux belt.....lumps missing as you saw.
fixed now!

Throttle.....got a solid airbox to keep the TPS still, but still isn't smooth on the throttle, and jerks at gearchange, possibly engine mounts.
fixed and yeh my 1.8 throttle is odd but cant it just be regreased or something?

Vibrations....is this normal or f*cked engine mounts? The mirror rattles so much you can't see behind at idle!
Its an old 306 Tongue

Can feel engine....through clutch pedal/gearstick....is that normal, I could just be used to a nice hydro clutch and dmf to stop outside from getting in, bit it does seem a bit excessive.
Seemed normal when i drove it i think its just because youve been driving a lovely (maybe) golf!

Pass side foglight.....doesn't work, filled with water and rusty.
... doesnt really matter. Its only £15 for another!

The entire car creaks on corners.....yes really, that can't be normal lol? obviously not playing music loud enough!

Wing mirror whistle....granted not a fault but is f*cking annoying!
Serious? D: Get some DTM ones for it if youd rather have those!

Struggling....I know its not a powerful engine, but everything seems like a struggle for it, the only other car I've had like that was the 106!
Just because of the boost leak. the two are obviously related so its only one problem. youre just trying to make the list longer!

Injector tick....annoying and obviously not good
There will be loads at spalls and theyll charge feck all for it! Like £2 or something haha especially if they are the same as the 406 hdi ones?

Vent direction....doesn't seem to direct air, duct missing or broken probably. Again... thats just general 306 not a problem with the car!

Expansion tank hiss....its always hissing, is that normal or a dodgy cap?
Again cheap and pocketable from spalls!

Etc, etc, etc....I could go on lol!
Please dont... i honestly am not going to break this one as i dont have the time. id rather get it fixed and keep it myself!
Thanks given by:
A weekends work for someone at best there and you could have done it all.

If I can do a clutch and clutch cable, two steering track rods and ends and change the front suspension by myself in 3 days (whilst jetlagged!) you should be able to do most of that list yourself in 2.

Get off this fecking forum and go and use the time wisely!
Thanks given by:
RIGHT then, by the end of today I will have done around 130 miles in one day, in the estate....including going to Norfolk and back Confused

And I've gotta be honest, and hope I'm not tempting fate, it did it without completely breaking down....however I've now lost nearly all boost now lol, no smoke though so hoping I've just popped a boost pipe. I blame the Norfolk lot, was trying to keep up with them on some back roads....couldn't keep up so gave up and headed home, but i forgot how fun fast corners were! Big Grin

Think the fact I drove further from home in it than any of the last 5 cars has made me decide to fix it. I'll keep the avensus for now just incase it all goes wrong, but I'll swap the insurance onto the hdi on Monday. Until Sam wants it back.

SO, first job is to get Sams elm thing and see about the codes and the EML. Second job is the boost leak, any common pipes that break on these?

Also the radio....can I link coax with a junction box or will that cause interference?
Thanks given by:
yes! good decision AND YOU WENT TO THE MEET! Whoop whoop! Well done Tom for finally making your way OUT OF SUFFOLK! and for listening to us all about how you should fix it!
Thanks given by:
(29-09-2012, 05:53 PM)Toms306 Wrote: RIGHT then, by the end of today I will have done around 130 miles in one day, in the estate....including going to Norfolk and back Confused

And I've gotta be honest, and hope I'm not tempting fate, it did it without completely breaking down....however I've now lost nearly all boost now lol, no smoke though so hoping I've just popped a boost pipe. I blame the Norfolk lot, was trying to keep up with them on some back roads....couldn't keep up so gave up and headed home, but i forgot how fun fast corners were! Big Grin

Think the fact I drove further from home in it than any of the last 5 cars has made me decide to fix it. I'll keep the avensus for now just incase it all goes wrong, but I'll swap the insurance onto the hdi on Monday. Until Sam wants it back.

SO, first job is to get Sams elm thing and see about the codes and the EML. Second job is the boost leak, any common pipes that break on these?

Also the radio....can I link coax with a junction box or will that cause interference?

Nice one you know it makes sense!

Aerial id just get a screw on fit plug for the end of it. I think you can buy them!
Team Eaton

1999 China Blue 306 GTi6 - Eaton Supercharged - 214.5bhp 181lbft
Thanks given by:
I know, I left Norfolk with an extra finger and a webbed foot though. Confused

I hope it is the right decision, only time will tell I guess!

(29-09-2012, 06:04 PM)Niall Wrote: Nice one you know it makes sense!

Aerial id just get a screw on fit plug for the end of it. I think you can buy them!

It's an odd plug in cars though, can't say I've seen them for sale, will look in maplins or somewhere electrical then. Smile
Thanks given by:
(29-09-2012, 06:05 PM)Toms306 Wrote: I know, I left Norfolk with an extra finger and a webbed foot though. Confused

I hope it is the right decision, only time will tell I guess!

(29-09-2012, 06:04 PM)Niall Wrote: Nice one you know it makes sense!

It's an odd plug in cars though, can't say I've seen them for sale, will look in maplins or somewhere electrical then. Smile

ebay ftw!
Thanks given by:
Can't even find them on ebay....any idea what they're called, mayhem I've got the wrong name for them? Confused
Thanks given by:
Just re-wire the aerial the cable goes through the dash and up the a pillar.
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Puglove's onxy 'state, bye bye puglove 299 111,645 24-02-2014, 10:16 PM
Last Post: Eeyore
  The State maxlee 23 4,857 27-01-2014, 07:14 PM
Last Post: procta
  Toms306s Project - Fodge! Toms306 385 98,772 27-01-2013, 05:45 PM
Last Post: Toms306