"Creaking" on hard lock?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
"Creaking" on hard lock?
My car's down around 70mm (?) on coilovers. Ever since I fitted them I've had a creaking sort of noise on when on lock, I don't really know how to describe it... Matt has heard it. Carpark manoeuvring, that sort of thing.

The top mounts were brand new when the coilovers went on, and I've just fitted new wishbones. The noise is still there however.

Thoughts?
Thanks given by:
steering rack? drop links?
Thanks given by:
Tyres rubbing?
[Image: k6f9Fk]

Member of the 99% warning or you're nothing club
Thanks given by:
springs coilbinding?
Welding and fabrication projects undertaken, contact me for more information.

Thanks given by:
Sounds like the springs twisting in the spring seat. Being so low they are probably near to loose in the coilover, not dangerous but enough for them to twist when you are turning.
Thanks given by:
The coilies are pretty firm. Had it in the air at the weekend and all looked solid.

IMO it doesn't sound steering rack related. What it sounds like to me is the rubber on the top mounts rubbing as they turn, like there not bolted in, but they are.

Sucks the wishbones didn't solve it. Try new drop links?
[Image: 20A1806D-891D-40FB-BD52-AD519177A607-734...391753.jpg]
TEAM CONROD SHITTING RALLYE!
Thanks given by:
Tyres are't rubbing... any more. Rolled them as they were eating my arches...

Hmm thinking Dan may have a good point there... could be that. Thinking about it I can imagine that making the noise.

I was thinking it sounds top mounts Matt, but it sounds like the noise is lower and as you know they're new. Hopefully it's the spring thing, bit annoying that there's nothing can be done but at least it's nothing bad.

As you know one drop link is new haha, but I can't see them making this noise anyway...
Thanks given by:
if it is the spring, a bit of copper grease may do the trick..
Welding and fabrication projects undertaken, contact me for more information.

Thanks given by:
Yeah true, I'll give it a coating when it's next in the air Smile
Thanks given by:
Could be bearings in top cups if running standard top mounts
[Image: J5hxCcC.jpg]
Thanks given by:
As said it's not coming from the top... I think Dan! is spot on
Thanks given by:
more than likely springs moving. My springs are doing it which is worrying a bit considering there not coil overs....
Team Eaton

1999 China Blue 306 GTi6 - Eaton Supercharged - 214.5bhp 181lbft
Thanks given by:
I am having exactly the same problem, immediately after fitting new coilovers.

I also have my coilies dropped to the max at 75mm. Terrible creaking from the offside-front when the steering is on full lock.

Curt, did you manage to sort it all out in the end?
Thanks given by:
Nah, not sorted, still doing it. I'm pretty sure it is the springs moving round on lock, so shouldn't be anything to worry about... just doesn't sound good. Mine does seem to have got a little worse, but it's getting used less nowadays.
Thanks given by:
Did you replace the top mounts and/or the top mount bearings?
Thanks given by:
Just FYI.. loads of coilovers do it. The metallic noises are the springs seizing and twanging back into shape. Many manufacturers are now using plastic/nylon bushes between the perches and the springs to try and dampen the noise. Mine have been doing it for a while and you can see where the springs have ground the paint away on the perches.

Apparently it's nothing to worry about, just a quirk of coilovers. Still annoying as f*ck when it sounds broken in public places though..
[Image: signature_zps1a02ba79.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Whole top mounts.

I don't get so much of a metallic noise, it's just a horrible one, which is very hard to describe. But like you say, that look on peoples faces when you're in a carpark or with a passenger that doesn't know...
Thanks given by:
I'm prepared to stick a fiver on the fact it's just clangy creaky groany bangy coilover noise. If i were you i'd smear grease over the perches top and bottom of the spring and it'll probably go away for a bit, then come back again.
Thanks given by:
Yeah that's been my intention for a while, just can't be bothered when it sits on the drive. All I keep doing is turning it over to stop the battery going flat lol
Thanks given by:
lmao

Mine's been tracking quite badly to the right for months and the wheels still aren't balanced, the exhaust still isn't connected so i'm driving round with just a downpipe off the blower, the coilovers were creaking and have seized so I need to loosen up the adjusters (i did manage to stop the wobbly steering, turned out the camber bolts on one side had worked half a turn loose), the ride height is higher on the left than the right... I only drive it about once a week though so f*ck it lol
Thanks given by:
Wow, I just Googled 'creaking coilovers' and discovered that we're not alone! It seems to afflict all makes and models.

Thanks for suggesting the grease approach, cw. I'll see if this helps.

Good grief, the creaking is so embarrassing!
Thanks given by:
My race lands use to do this. Copper slick is you friend lol ThumbsUp

[Image: DSC_0190-Copy_zpsf093f84d.jpg]
Member of 99% warning or your nothing club!

Thanks given by:
Funnily enough, my coilovers have stopped creaking since I began using 20mm spacers instead of 10mm ones. Maybe there was some degree of rubbing inside before that was causing it.
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Steering creaking. russ.gibbo76 13 2,672 23-10-2014, 09:44 PM
Last Post: Niall
  Rear Suspension Creaking . . . Alex 4 1,430 21-06-2014, 10:45 PM
Last Post: Alex
  Deep creaking after lowering JJtheHITMAN 5 1,517 24-12-2013, 06:55 PM
Last Post: puglove