Phase 2 instrument cluster into phase 1?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Phase 2 instrument cluster into phase 1?
I've never seen this done, only talked about.

It must be possible, I would have thought, but how much of a ball-ache would it be?

Mine is electric speedo so that should be okay, and I know the plugs are different.

Is it purely a case of looking through diagrams and matching wires?

As I'm capable with most but electrics are my nightmare.

Cheers.
Thanks given by:
Let's do this. I'll come down and give a hand. Goo at matching wires lol.

From what I know the ph1 have several different plugs where as the phase 2/3 has only 2. I guess there would be the same amount of wires to an from them though.

Wouldn't it be easier to switch over the needles and the backing? There the same size iirc dials all the same size etc...
[Image: 20A1806D-891D-40FB-BD52-AD519177A607-734...391753.jpg]
TEAM CONROD SHITTING RALLYE!
Thanks given by:
Give me some time and ill work out a diagram for you and if im feeling really nice (unlikely) then i might even make you a adaptor loom!
It can be done. Its a nice upgrade in the 106s
Team Eaton

1999 China Blue 306 GTi6 - Eaton Supercharged - 214.5bhp 181lbft
Thanks given by:
(10-09-2012, 03:25 PM)Matt Wrote: Let's do this. I'll come down and give a hand. Goo at matching wires lol.

From what I know the ph1 have several different plugs where as the phase 2/3 has only 2. I guess there would be the same amount of wires to an from them though.

Wouldn't it be easier to switch over the needles and the backing? There the same size iirc dials all the same size etc...

Haha, yes! I know the phase 1's have like 5 plugs yeah... But you'd hope there'd be the same/similar amount of wires. I may just do that though yeah, John suggested that a couple of weeks ago.

eBay

(10-09-2012, 03:32 PM)Niall Wrote: Give me some time and ill work out a diagram for you and if im feeling really nice (unlikely) then i might even make you a adaptor loom!
It can be done. Its a nice upgrade in the 106s

If you could do that, that'd be awesome. Also if you could, then I'll give you some moolah/beer/bacon.

I thought it'd be a nice little update, as I'm looking to update the interior whilst retaining the phase 1 exterior.
Thanks given by:
ill get cracking with it tonight.
Team Eaton

Thanks given by:
Wicked, cheers Smile
Thanks given by:
my d turbo is a phase 1 with a phase 2 cluster. its got a complete phase 2 dash though
Thanks given by:
niall would you be interested in making me a mini loom aswell?
BBBOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOSSSSSSSSTTTT!!!!!!!!
Thanks given by:
Just change the entire dash with the dash loom and clocks, easy.
[Image: 704e7db1.jpg]
Thanks given by:
easy? in comparison to a plug and play loom? :/
Thanks given by:
I'll see how easy they are to make up and might make a few
Team Eaton

Thanks given by:
ok mate cheers maybe would it help if we were to send you plugs from a p2?
Thanks given by:
Nah I'm trying to source the plugs that go into the back of the dials so it will literally be a plug and play mod
Team Eaton

Thanks given by:
What about mileage? Are phase 2 a digital display?
Thanks given by:
yeah why not cut the loom off a p2 scrapper then make a plug to fit the p1 loom?
Thanks given by:
Depends if you have access to a dash, i did at the time i did my swop, so rather chop wires, i just did the entire dash, which in turn gave me an updated facia Smile

Ive got an old ph2 dash i dont mind taking the plus off, its scrap anyway, and have plenty of ph2 and ph3 clocks.
Thanks given by:
(11-09-2012, 12:21 PM)Joe Wrote: yeah why not cut the loom off a p2 scrapper then make a plug to fit the p1 loom?

Would rather just have a loom that plugs into the original plugs. Think ive sourced the plugs for quite cheap
Team Eaton

Thanks given by:
im confused? obviously you need the plug for the back of the p2 clocks?
Thanks given by:
all im going to do is make a loom that has 2 male plugs to plug into the new dials and on the other end of the loom,, female plugs so that the original dash loom can plug stright into them. about 30 seconds work to fit!

mileage we wont be able to change so i suggest buying clocks with as closer mileage to yours as possible.
Team Eaton

Thanks given by:
I have got access to a phase 3 GTi dash and anything there I need (bar the clocks and fascias) but I can't be doing with the hassle. Especially on my daily runner when it's not a 5 minute job
Thanks given by:
(11-09-2012, 03:46 PM)Curt Wrote: I have got access to a phase 3 GTi dash and anything there I need (bar the clocks and fascias) but I can't be doing with the hassle. Especially on my daily runner when it's not a 5 minute job

I can give you a hand, I already started taking Eds dash out so it's most of the way there
Thanks given by:
Did you get round to sorting the dash looms pal?
[Image: image_zps45f2003b.jpg]

Team Doesn't own a 306
Thanks given by:
Any joy, mind me askin what plugs you've found that would fit into the ph1 clock loom?
Click to see how smokey is doing Tongue ----> Project Smokey
Thanks given by:
Still doing it. Been really busy with work recently so havent had the time.
Team Eaton

Thanks given by:
Could have swapped the whole dash over by now lol
Thanks given by:
Why the heck would you want to do this? Ph2-Ph1 id understand, but this seems pointless lol...the ph1 clocks are far better clocks imo...proper electromagnet dials that respond instantly, not half a second later like the servo ph2/3 dash's do...cant needle is always playing catch up in a ph2 DT!

Either way, yes its possible just case of getting pin out of each and adapting it...
| Dyno Power Runs & Steady State Facilities Available, Just Ask Anytime |
| #DervMafia |

[Image: sigi-2.png]
Thanks given by:
(13-10-2012, 12:00 PM)Birk Wrote: Could have swapped the whole dash over by now lol

Could but it wouldnt work. It would of been done by now but one of the ph1 diagrams i was given was wrong....in fact im doubtful it was even a 306 but there ya go.

Darrens right there is a slight delay on them but they do look nicer.
Team Eaton

Thanks given by:
I want to do it because I prefer them - it's all about personal preference at the end of the day!
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  1998 306 Instrument cluster failure ashley744 5 2,136 06-05-2020, 08:11 AM
Last Post: Mighty306
  306 xsi phase 3 central locking issue!!! Seabrook3607 2 1,417 16-01-2016, 08:02 PM
Last Post: Seabrook3607
  1.6 Phase 3 Dash Board Issue Jama 3 2,296 09-09-2015, 02:05 PM
Last Post: Jama