Frosty's S16 6 speed

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Frosty's S16 6 speed
As some of you may have seen I have taken my D turbo off the road for a while to do a bit of work to it. I obviously didn't want to walk everywhere so I had to get another car and of course it had to be a 306. I came across a S16 on eBay that was local to me so I fort that would be ideal so I rung him up and £200 later I was the new owner of a S16. It wasn't that cheap for no reason! It had a gearbox that was noisy in 3rd gear, some twat had kicked the rear quarter in and the cooling fans were always running.

Here's some pics of when I got it

[Image: IMG_0298.jpg]
[Image: SAM_0060.jpg]
[Image: SAM_0058.jpg]
[Image: SAM_0059.jpg]
[Image: SAM_0057.jpg]
[Image: SAM_0062.jpg]
[Image: SAM_0061.jpg]

As you can see when I got it it was lowered and had 17s. Also it had a KnN air filter and had a OMP cat back exhaust. Other than that it was standard.

The first thing to sort out was the gearbox which I had decided to put a Gti6 gearbox in as I had 1 lying around. So I did that and I also put a Gti6 steering rack in to deal with the longer box. I also changed the sump as the sump acts as part of the gearbox cover so I also changed the oil pump. As the power steering pipe that goes under the engine bolts to the sump I also had to change the pipe and then all the AUX set up to deal with the different pipe and having to have the different power steering pump. It was a lot of work but I wanted it done proper and plus I had all the bits I needed!

As for the cooling fan they had been wired up to a live so they were on all the time so I replaced the fan with another 1 and it now works fine.

I had decided that I wanted to put it back to pretty much standard so I put some standard height suspension on it. I got some standard wheels and an air box. I decided to keep the exhaust as I didn't have a standard 1 lying around and I love the noise so I kept the OMP and I also de catted it.

A few pics of the car at the moment

[Image: 649bf861.jpg]
[Image: 1e2bd264.jpg]
[Image: 0231AF89-D3DD-48FD-8169-003BFEB832B3-252...8B18FA.jpg]

That's pretty much it for now but I will update soon and keep you all posted. Hope you enjoy and comments and advise always welcomed!!
Thanks given by:
Looks great.
Thanks given by:
Looks good dude i take it the rear quater poped out well?

Thanks given by:
Cheers guys!

Yeah it wasn't to bad as it was easy to get to once I took the rear quarter card off from inside. I pushed the worst bit out and then got the body work guy at work to finish it off and when the trim bit went on it was hardly noticeable!
Thanks given by:
Sounds like you got a bargain mate wots she got on the clock?

Thanks given by:
Yeah it ain't to bad!

Sorry I forgot about that it's got 115000 seems to go alright and got 12 mouths MOT on it now
Thanks given by:
115000 isnt bad at all when you consider the age of the car Big Grin

Thanks given by:
Yeah that's what I fort and I got a lot of paper work with it and it had the head gasket done 2 years ago
Thanks given by:
Sweet as f*ck. Looks 100x better than when you bought it. And sounds like you made it in to a tidy little motor now. And i know Andy will prob bite your hand off to have it once you got the Dt sorted. Lol. Could be some profit in this aswell for what you paid for it.

[Image: DSC_0190-Copy_zpsf093f84d.jpg]
Member of 99% warning or your nothing club!

Thanks given by:
(30-08-2012, 08:19 AM)puglove Wrote: Sweet as f*ck. Looks 100x better than when you bought it. And sounds like you made it in to a tidy little motor now. And i know Andy will prob bite your hand off to have it once you got the Dt sorted. Lol. Could be some profit in this aswell for what you paid for it.

cheers mate. yeah it still needs a bit of tidying up but its getting there. yeah it doesn't owe me a great deal but i will have to decide wether to sell it or not when i get the D turbo back on the road. i wiould love to be able to aford to run 2 cars at the same time
Thanks given by:
so its about time i updated this so i will start with some of the bits that i forgot to mention. so since i have had it i have replace the heater matrix after i noticed it was leaking when i was putting in the reverse cable. i have given the car a full service as well. also i brought some Gti6 front brakes and i painted them up blue

[Image: B076E48B-1411-43FF-97FD-7D5F2C7270B8-355...32B8B2.jpg]

i brought some challengers to go on my d turbo but fort i would just pop them on this 1 to see what they looked like

[Image: 6145339F-603E-4C15-8B07-E7B7B42223CB-377...B5F176.jpg]

had to take them off though as i only had spacers for the rear and the N/S/F tyre scrubbed on the gearbox. i have now put my cyclones on but need to get some pics when i get round to giving it a clean

i have also wrapped my fog lights yellow. not a very good job but looks ok as long as not to close

[Image: BD14BDA1-B1C4-4D8A-B705-07AD09401E07-355...DCEA49.jpg]

[Image: 4CE59F96-D672-4CC8-94A2-A4333DE245E2-360...B139F8.jpg]

this is a pic of when i gave to a polish a few weeks ago. didnt come up to bad for an old banger

[Image: EF83F1A7-9C00-4130-BD8D-FCBB58D7165C-255...F42798.jpg]

put a tow strap on it this week. i didnt know what it was going to be like but i like it

[Image: 220935B4-BC42-4264-828C-07AA72D39EA0-255...18E6E1.jpg]

i will try to get some more pics over the weekend
Thanks given by:
Nicely saved! Love it
On the 306 waiting list.
Thanks given by:
looks awesome
10x the car from when you got it, fair play!
Thanks given by:
that looks really smart mate, i like it! ThumbsUp
Thanks given by:
really smart dude, good find and a bargin to you going to leave this pretty much standered? how come the dt is off the road?
[Image: fe6eddc8-1731-4100-a5fe-1edb853a88b6_zpseeacf928.jpg]
Thanks given by:
thanks for all the comments guys! i will admit it does look better in the pics than in real life but i think thats the case with alot of car pics.

sam the plan is to leave it pretty standard. as you can see i have kind of put it more back to standard. i fort i would do that as they are becoming hard to get hold of! and the d turbo is off the road for a bit of body work, fitting FMIC and a few other bits. just easier it being off the road and i got the s16 to drive around
Thanks given by:
had a bit of a problem sunday when it was losing water but i got it to work yesterday and found a split pipe that was leaking so replaced that and now is all good again Smile

does anyone know if phase 2 wings are the same as phase 1?
Thanks given by:
i think they are different due to the shape of the P1 headlights.
Thanks given by:
Pretty certain the wings are the same appart from the holes for the side repeaters
[Image: Ty8kl7b.jpg]
Thanks given by:
(24-10-2012, 12:16 PM)Midnightclub Wrote: Pretty certain the wings are the same appart from the holes for the side repeaters

thats what i fort but i want to now if anyone knew for sure. the side repeater whole wouldn't matter as i've got phase 2 repeatersin anyway
Thanks given by:
What are these engines actually like? Thinking od swapping the xsi engine oit for a mi/s16 lump for the time being. Would it be worth it?

Thanks given by:
(24-10-2012, 12:29 PM)puglove Wrote: What are these engines actually like? Thinking od swapping the xsi engine oit for a mi/s16 lump for the time being. Would it be worth it?

well i think there not to bad. havent really had to many problem apart for a coil pack and water hose which aint to bad really. i would say that it would be worth doing but im not sure how simple it would be to swap over.if i and go to the weston meet and your there you can have a look at it if you want
Thanks given by:
Im not worried about how hard it is to fit if it came out a 306 i will make it fit another 306. Whats it like power wise. Iv heard they are pretty nippy. Just wondering if it felt pretty flat on the power like an xsi

Thanks given by:
Should be a fair amount pokier than an XSi J, 154bhp IIRC on the s16 engine.. think jonny b's made 167bhp on the rollers after a little bit of headwork
Thanks given by:
Oooo yeah a little head work hey? Hhhm may lookinto this then just turbo the mi lump

Thanks given by:
Indeed.. best off speaking to jonny about it mate Smile well.. the S16 and the t16 are very similar so it could be a plan...
Thanks given by:
Yeah could be handy for parts like sump etc. We will see. All depemds if its worth putting a mi in for the time being. Going to have to chat up frosty for a ride Wink

Thanks given by:
mine seems to go alright not as quick as gti6 but dont think there would be a massive difference. i want to get mine on the rolling road!
Thanks given by:
Mine was as quick as a gti when standard bud
[Image: SDC10442-1.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Would love to try a 6 box though
[Image: SDC10442-1.jpg]
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Frosty's astor GTi6 Frosty 20 7,624 26-07-2018, 05:12 PM
Last Post: Frosty
  Frosty's Ph1 Black D Turbo now with VNT Frosty 626 273,295 22-05-2016, 02:19 PM
Last Post: Frosty