Putting a deposit on a car question

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Putting a deposit on a car question
What would be the most sensible way to put a deposit down on a car from a private seller?

Give them £x amount and make sure you get a signed receipt and agree a deadline for payment?
[Image: sigjpg.jpg]
Serious.
Thanks given by:
Paypal?
Thanks given by:
Exactly as you've said really.
Thanks given by:
Either as you said or PayPal IMO, but send it as goods, if he try's to run with your money you can get it Back then
[Image: 20A1806D-891D-40FB-BD52-AD519177A607-734...391753.jpg]
TEAM CONROD SHITTING RALLYE!
Thanks given by:
Paypal is a c*nt and I would exclude it from anything and everything.

What you need if it all goes 'tits up' is a paper trail, as verbal agreements are not legally binding.

In a situation where it may be too far to travel to see the car / seller to put a holding deposit on then I would use instant bank transfer. It's non-reversable but provided they have this facility and can email you with a receipt for it then you do at least have something to go on.

If you've already seen a car and you want it I would just give them the money in cash where possible, get a hand-written receipt.
Disclaimer: The above is not to be taken to heart and is probably a joke, grow up you big girl.
[Image: Sig500x130.png]
Thanks given by:
They can be in scotland, http://www.ehow.co.uk/info_7972126_scots...ments.html

But ther are some strange laws, "In York, excluding Sundays, it is perfectly legal to shoot a Scotsman with a bow and arrow."

http://www.nowpublic.com/world/hey-its-s...ish-laws-1
Thanks given by:
(24-08-2012, 12:23 PM)c.a.r. Wrote: What you need if it all goes 'tits up' is a paper trail, as verbal agreements are not legally binding.
Actually is it, and irrevocably if you get it recorded. Use a phone, dictaphone...

Leaving cash is no worse then leaving a paypal deposit, both have limited means to get it back before you're screwed.

If possible, use a credit card.

(24-08-2012, 12:27 PM)Daniel306 Wrote: But ther are some strange laws, "In York, excluding Sundays, it is perfectly legal to shoot a Scotsman with a bow and arrow."

I haven't tried it despite being here 20years, but it apparently is legal to do so.
(even in todays health and safety state)
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Help to Buy - 5% Deposit, 20% Goverment Deposit, 75% Mortgage. silverzx 13 2,315 13-02-2015, 10:30 AM
Last Post: Paul_13
  protecting a car deposit? rtha6551 10 4,131 17-04-2014, 08:44 AM
Last Post: Danny2009