protecting a car deposit?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
protecting a car deposit?
Hi all

just a quick question. I may be going to look at a car that is a 500 mile round trip away from me. I would be wanting to put a deposit of £100 (car is £1800 asking) down if the car is in the stated condition and I like it etc, then collect later when I have the full price at my disposal.

Is there any way I can protect the cash deposit, and if so how is that achieved? I have heard people say a bank transfer provides some buyer protection? The fact the car is such a distance away is what is concerning me the most as its not like the guy is round the corner

Thanks
Thanks given by:
When you go to look at it, give him the deposit in cash and get him to sign a piece of paper to say he has received x amount of money as a deposit and partial payment for the car, with x amount left to pay. Make sure it has relevant details on it for the car, names and signatures.

Or try and use PayPal, but he may not go for that. Bank transfer offers no protection.
Thanks given by:
(16-04-2014, 10:09 PM)Curt Wrote: When you go to look at it, give him the deposit in cash and get him to sign a piece of paper to say he has received x amount of money as a deposit and partial payment for the car, with x amount left to pay. Make sure it has relevant details on it for the car, names and signatures.

Or try and use PayPal, but he may not go for that. Bank transfer offers no protection.

ahh thankyou Smile in the event he does f*ck me over what would the steps to follow be?
Thanks given by:
You can't protect it. I've lost 2 deposits now...lesson learnt is buy the whole car or don't bother.
Thanks given by:
To be fair if I was travelling 500 mile to view a car id be rocking up with the full amount and expecting to drive the car home!
Why waste fuel on two trios like that

What is the timescale for you getting the remainder of the money
Thanks given by:
As swampy says, that's a bloody long way to go to not buy something!

How special is it? Is it really worth making two trips? Is it so rare that you won't be able to find another one when you have the full amount of cash?
Disclaimer: The above is not to be taken to heart and is probably a joke, grow up you big girl.
[Image: Sig500x130.png]
Thanks given by:
Yeah that is a long way. I resented going to Middlesborough for the Benz and that's an 120 mile round trip for a fairly scarce car...
[Image: tapatalk_1427020983519_zpsnwvozlhb.jpeg]
Thanks given by:
I went to the Isle Of White for my Celica...cos it was the only blue one with the correct spoiler / wheel combination at the time lol

But I did get in trouble with the Mrs for it!
Disclaimer: The above is not to be taken to heart and is probably a joke, grow up you big girl.
[Image: Sig500x130.png]
Thanks given by:
(17-04-2014, 08:18 AM)C.A.R. Wrote: But I did get in trouble with the Mrs for it!

Don't we all. When I turned up with the Benz...

"What the f*ck is that? And why is it brown?"
"f*ck off, you didn't pay for it and you don't drive it!"
[Image: tapatalk_1427020983519_zpsnwvozlhb.jpeg]
Thanks given by:
(17-04-2014, 08:27 AM)THE_Liam Wrote:
(17-04-2014, 08:18 AM)C.A.R. Wrote: But I did get in trouble with the Mrs for it!

Don't we all. When I turned up with the Benz...

"What the f*ck is that? And why is it brown?"
"f*ck off, you didn't pay for it and you don't drive it!"

Oh yes, that old chestnut..

"Why the f*ck have you bought an old mans jag?"

"It's supercharged"

"So what, it looks like my grandad would drive it"

As for protection. There's none really, if the guy wants to f*ck you over he will.

From experience, if you leave £100 on it and say you'll pay the rest later, and someone else goes to him with the full cash, he will take it.

Best bet is go with all the cash when you can, if it's right, buy it. If not, walk away and find another.

JP
JP
Thanks given by:
Pay on paypal and get him to refund you when you go back down and pay the full amount in cash
[Image: image_zps45f2003b.jpg]

Team Doesn't own a 306
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Help to Buy - 5% Deposit, 20% Goverment Deposit, 75% Mortgage. silverzx 13 2,300 13-02-2015, 10:30 AM
Last Post: Paul_13
  Putting a deposit on a car question lewisdmz 6 2,372 25-08-2012, 05:43 AM
Last Post: StealthSteve