Gti head gasket woes

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Gti head gasket woes
Right so basically I'm a cock
When I bought the car, it had just had a full service including a coolant change. The bloke doing it was clearly a cock as he filled the expansion chamber to the top so most of it over flowed onto the road 2 miles down the road!
Since, it's had a slight air lock. Was obviously not bled properly. Sunday whilst working on the car, I checked the coolant and it was right at the bottom. Stupidly I forgot to top it up and bleed it! So sitting in traffic on the way to ace and the temp starts to climb as they do. Gets to 90 and then suddenly shoots almost to the red mark. Was in slow moving traffic at the time so couldn't get out to turn the fans on high. Put the blowers on full and.....nothing. Just cold air. Brilliant. Eventually it lapped up some water and cooled down to about 90 then went up to just above 100 and stayed there for about 20 minutes till I could stop to do something about it. Stopped at a petrol station and bled it. It took 2.75 litres of water and that was without bleeding the matrix pipes as it was too hot there. After that it cooled down and sat at 80 happily for the rest of the journey.

So my questions. Firstly, how tough are the heads on gtis? There were no pressurised hoses and the oil is still as clean as the day I put it in but I'm worried that it might of done some damage at them sort of temperatures.
Secondly, where the f*ck has all my water gone? Its not mixing it, there's never any puddles under it or signs of leaking, my matrix is fine!? Is it possible that the guy who did the coolant change didn't bleed it, left an epic air lock in there and it's finally sucked some water round leaving the extension tank dry?

Tbh if I have to do a head gasket, I'm not too fussed. It needs one anyway because there's a slight oil leak from one of the cam carriers. If I'm taking it apart that far, might as well bung a gasket In there. Just worried about warping the head!
Team Eaton

1999 China Blue 306 GTi6 - Eaton Supercharged - 214.5bhp 181lbft
Thanks given by:
Iirc the gti heads are pretty good. If I was you I would just do the head gasket for price of mind. Hope for the best that it's not fubard
[Image: 20A1806D-891D-40FB-BD52-AD519177A607-734...391753.jpg]
TEAM CONROD SHITTING RALLYE!
Thanks given by:
It sounds like he didn't bleed it properly, also was there any coolant in there or just water?

I think you're ok, I'd just empty it and start from scratch.
Peugeot 206 GTI HDI
Volvo V50 2.0d
Volvo XC90 D5

Thanks given by:
(21-08-2012, 08:10 AM)Anton Wrote: It sounds like he didn't bleed it properly, also was there any coolant in there or just water?

I think you're ok, I'd just empty it and start from scratch.

There was coolant in there but not much I don't think
Team Eaton

1999 China Blue 306 GTi6 - Eaton Supercharged - 214.5bhp 181lbft
Thanks given by:
I would just keep an eye on temperatures/levels, from what you've said I wouldn't say it got hot enough for long enough to do serious damage.
Thanks given by:
Probably f*cked it. Nice one. Best ask grant for that engine back eh Big Grin
[Image: k6f9Fk]

Member of the 99% warning or you're nothing club
Thanks given by:
alloy heads + overheating = not good... look at how the rover k series warps when it overheats. i know the 6 engines are stronger, but still.

you cant go wrong with totally draining it and refilling tbh then go from there.
Thanks given by:
You can't compare these to the K-series engine... and only the larger engines were the real problem as they were bored out from the smaller ones which made the engines weaker. Most heads are ally
Thanks given by:
i reckon its f*cked, and tapping, obviously
Team - Inappropriate Footwear. Member 1 of 3.

1. Fooby's Car
2. Fooby's Hire Car(s)
3. Fooby's Company Pool Car

Team Self Improvement
1. Learn to Car
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  head gasket change si124 1 914 16-03-2015, 03:09 PM
Last Post: bashbarnard
  XU10 thicker head gasket (see newbies too) Ephrem 6 2,972 11-07-2014, 03:49 AM
Last Post: Dave
  Possible Head gasket? rocker8742 10 2,161 26-09-2013, 10:44 PM
Last Post: viper