HDi Clutch Change

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
HDi Clutch Change
Nope. Connected it back up still nothing. By the time we started today all shops had closed so picking up a new sensor in morning.
#2 Moonstone Blue HDI
[Image: 6b0c7309-5184-463c-9f73-2a7b96601418_zpsfdf041fe.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Hmm, fair enough, good luck then.......really really hoping Sams starts after all this time and effort!
Thanks given by:
Should do. Just double check you havnt caught anything.
#2 Moonstone Blue HDI
Thanks given by:
Well, got the bolts and oil....turns out they're actually Ny-loc nuts aswell so you should've changed them lol. Tongue
Thanks given by:
(17-09-2012, 03:04 PM)Toms306 Wrote: Well, got the bolts and oil....turns out they're actually Ny-loc nuts aswell so you should've changed them lol. Tongue

Never took em off dude they was siezed on so took the whole hub out.
#2 Moonstone Blue HDI
Thanks given by:
What? How? Did you take the bottom ball joint off the wishbone then?
Thanks given by:
Did you remove the ball joint from the hub or remove the ball joint from the wish bone? We just took it from the hub. Never bothered replacing the nuts.
#2 Moonstone Blue HDI
Thanks given by:
Took the balljoint from the hub....using the pinch bolts that I ruined. Tongue
Thanks given by:
Right, made a bit more progress today, got most things back together with only a couple of issues -

[Image: Clutch%20change%2019%209%20029_zps09a79fa1.jpg]

Oops...don't know my own strength clearly. Don't worry, that little one was only for the flywheel cover. But the bigger one was the new pinch bolt. Undecided Not entirely sure how it happened, but the balljoint went too far into the hub somehow, was in poor light and know you often have to tap pinch bolts through.....yeah that just removed its thread....nice to know something as important as a bottom ball joint is nice and strong though eh.... Confused

Anyway, I bought another ready for next time, for now have got one side done though! Big Grin

[Image: Clutch%20change%2019%209%20030_zpsb56f95f6.jpg]

However, I cant get the other shaft back in!! Is there a knack to this? Its located because you can turn either shaft and the other one turns, but its just wont go far enough in, and the intermediate bearing isn't in either, but theres something 'solid' stopping it going any further. Confused Pretty sure the intermediate bearing bolts are lined up right, and there isn't anything in the box to stop it is there?

[Image: Clutch%20change%2019%209%20031_zps0d169fea.jpg]

[Image: Clutch%20change%2019%209%20032_zps7935ab63.jpg]

[Image: Clutch%20change%2019%209%20033_zps87f07aac.jpg]

Any ideas if I've done something wrong or missed something?

Also, while I was down there, noticed a shiny boost pipe (directly from the turbo)....has a really tight factory bend in it, that must be ridiculously restrictive! I thought the PD boost pipes were bad enough lol.
Thanks given by:
The drivers drive shaft twist in to lock it in. I know I had to knock it in a little bit as well though.
#2 Moonstone Blue HDI
Thanks given by:
What twists? Im slightly confused, I've been pushing it in with feet and my back against the wall so it's definitely more than a light knock to get it in lol.
Thanks given by:
I remember having to Push it in then it twisted. We also was pushing the hub with our feet. It took its time but we eventually got there.
#2 Moonstone Blue HDI
Thanks given by:
Hmm, Ok, so just force and maye a twist then, nothing else to it?
Thanks given by:
As far as I remember. It was like 2 weeks ago. But yeah think so Smile. If it feels like something's jammed try twist engine for it to line up a little better.
#2 Moonstone Blue HDI
Thanks given by:
2 weeks already!? Man, where does time go! Confused

It must be lined up though, as I say it's located in the diff cos the other shaft moves if you turn one.
Thanks given by:
Just keep pushing and wiggling it then dude. Glad you think it's gone fast :p
#2 Moonstone Blue HDI
Thanks given by:
You could probably draw that into position with the two intermediate bearing bolts. Smile

Not unusual to require a shove home, but can't remember if these have the little circlip on the gearbox end.
Night Blue VW Golf 7 GTD : Bianca 306 Rallye : Mini Cooper D (The Mrs')
[Image: wallye-gtd.JPG?raw=1]
HDi Owner for 200k/9 years
Thanks given by:
The bearing isn't in far enough to pull it with the bolts unfortunately. Undecided
Thanks given by:
Pull it out, rotate it slightly and then give it a shove. If the splines are tooth to tooth it will offer much resistance. I'm faiirly certain mine slid home easily. It may well be the bearing offering the resistance.
Thanks given by:
Hmm, need more pairs of hands tbh lol, one to pull the wishbone, one to move the strut and shaft and another to guide it in/see where its catching lol. Confused
Thanks given by:
Had you cracked the hub nut? If so, remove it from the hub. If not, lying under the car using your foot to push the hub out is a great way to do it when you're flying solo.
Thanks given by:
Nope, wish we had undone the hub nuts and done it that way instead!

Have been doing that with feet though haha. Big Grin
Thanks given by:
My hub nuts I had breaker bar on it with my weight on top. The bar was bending but the nut just laughed. :p
#2 Moonstone Blue HDI
Thanks given by:
With your weight on it? No hope for my measly amount of weight then. Tongue. But that's what I have an impact gun for. Big Grin
Thanks given by:
Right...it was the bearing causing issues! But theres nowhere to hit it due to the gaiter covering the 'hittable' part, so I wedged some thick card infront and hammered it in like that, dont think ive done any damage to the boot but we'll ignore that for now.

Then realised I didnt have a funnel - homemade paper funnel FTW!

[Image: Clutchchange209019_zps7c8fc1ef.jpg]

No shaft seal leaks....yet. Confused

[Image: Clutchchange209023_zps19a24867.jpg]

And finnally all back together! With a bit of clearing up to do.

[Image: Clutchchange209024_zps945ecb5e.jpg]

So I bet youre wondering did it start....well......NO, it didnt! Sad

However thats because Sam stole the battery for his boat Doh and the Golf battery, being VAG and unnecessarily large, was a little too big for the box haha! Big Grin

[Image: Clutchchange209020_zps2e03ee8f.jpg]

So yeah, hopefully everything works when we get a battery that fits! Undecided
Thanks given by:
A tip for the gear box oil dude.... Buy 2x 1 litre bottles they have a tube on the end just stick it in and no mess Smile. And the pug hold exactly 2 litres Smile
#2 Moonstone Blue HDI
Thanks given by:
Only if you buy cheap crap....this is the oem stuff that won't ruin the box and will allow us to select 1st when its cold. Tongue

This is about the 10th litre of it I've bought now lol, always wonder why Pug don't put a bit in the top!
Thanks given by:
I thought £15 for 2 litres was expensive! Will see how it goes and treat to it to oem stuff Smile
#2 Moonstone Blue HDI
Thanks given by:
Lol, expensive crap then! Tongue Think it was less than that for the proper stuff! Confused
Thanks given by:
Moment of truth.... Confused Undecided

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=32_b3pRPRec&feature=plcp

Woop! Big Grin

But does the clutch work...............

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_-ZQnJBY3Z8&feature=plcp

f*cking hell...yeah it does! Big Grin

Excuse the retarded one handed driving lol.

There are several faults found with it currently though!

1.That boost leak, pretty sure its not supposed to sound that 'wooshy' lol.
2.The clutch bite is really high, stamped on the pedal a couple of times but no change, might just be normal though, its much lighter than even the avensis one.
3, The EML is on, not sure why atm, and half the dash bulbs dont work.
4. The nearside fog light doesn't work.
5. One of the rear brakes seems to be binding, but all the brakes are a bit shit atm, should be OK with a bit of use though.
6. Some 'tard has literally ripped the airbox out, to check the clutch arm I assume, but in doing so have ripped out its supports so its held in by one cable tie atm, and due to pug putting the TPS on the airbox, it moves a lot when you push the acc pedal which is obviously not good.
7. The negative battery clamp won't tighten enough to keep it solid and tight, the dash lights dim when you rev the engine - bit of tin foil or something to pad it out should be ok I guess.
8. Forgot how shite the seating position is in 306s lol

All that said, I did enjoy the non laggy boost! Granted, nowhere near as much as the Golf and runs out of puff quickly, but the lack of lag and willingness to rev is actually pretty good....wouldn't be surprised if its already got a stage 1 map though, as the last HDi I drove didnt seem that quick off the mark, but I might just be used to the slow avensis now lol.
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  HDi clutch change bokus 10 3,324 20-06-2017, 02:08 PM
Last Post: bokus
  anyone want to change my clutch? no2lurch 4 1,605 08-04-2014, 10:23 AM
Last Post: no2lurch
  clutch cable change. alex-r 0 1,259 24-06-2013, 10:25 AM
Last Post: alex-r