1.8-Mi16-GTI6-T

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
1.8-Mi16-GTI6-T
(29-06-2012, 09:18 AM)Poodle Wrote: That's what i would have expected to happen too, but we had this issue when it came to taking apart the cabby engine.

Im assuming this is talking about the clutch??

In that case, i'll DC the clutch arm on top, free'ing the fork? would this allow enough movement?

EDIT: Oh, and one more thing, i'm going to take up an exhaust manifold from the 1.8, and giving it to my fabricator on sunday. He's up to the challenge of creating a custom exhaust mainfol for the turbo (well, snaking it to the engine bay), when it comes to fitting a turbo, he'll then build some plates up etc.

He's more excited than i am! But yeh, should be interesting what he comes up with!
Diablo Hdi Dturbo and 205 1.9 project - it lives!
Thanks given by:
i i remember rightly, you have to take the pin out of the clutch fork arm to allow it to disconnect from the release bearing
[Image: k6f9Fk]

Member of the 99% warning or you're nothing club
Thanks given by:
(29-06-2012, 09:48 AM)samass Wrote: i i remember rightly, you have to take the pin out of the clutch fork arm to allow it to disconnect from the release bearing

yah - Just had a reminder on JLobbs XU clutch vid
Thanks given by:
Re- gearbox, the thin metal plate on the engine side of the box needs to come off, and then to remove the clutch arm just remove the securing spring from the dowel with pliers and then tap a claw hammer over the dowel and lever it out carefully Smile
Team Orange Engine Bay

My flickr photostream - http://www.flickr.com/photos/markairey
Thanks given by:
sweet, glad im not dreaming things! lol

Thanks given by:
(29-06-2012, 09:56 AM)mark_airey Wrote: Re- gearbox, the thin metal plate on the engine side of the box needs to come off, and then to remove the clutch arm just remove the securing spring from the dowel with pliers and then tap a claw hammer over the dowel and lever it out carefully Smile

yeh done that much Smile just not the dowel Doh
Thanks given by:
the other thing is are you sure that you have removed all the bolts?? and have you taken the starter motor off??
Team Orange Engine Bay

Thanks given by:
Yep, started motor is off, all linkages, every bolt etc I did sped a good 20minutes mounting this box to find any other bolts; I'm positive!

I'll crack the clutch tomorow and see if that helps. Cheers!
Thanks given by:
oh... what have we here....

[Image: IMG_1423.jpg]

Yep, the engine is out!

[Image: IMG_1422.jpg]

Charged me £50 for the engine, alternator and power steering pump. I removed the AC unit which saved me £20

For anyone that's following this; after having an absoloute BITCH fit with removing the gearbox; it turned out that there was a final allen bolt hidden behind the driveshaft. Nevertheless, got the engine out with the gearbox attached, after completely dismantling the driveshaft and linkage, we found the culprit.. anywho, its sorted now.

The engine is still @ the scrappy in the warehouse, mainly becuase my shed isnt built and don't want this hanging around in my garden.

Off to the fabricators in a bit, see what we can do about looking into building this exhaust fannymold.

Also, any turbo suggestions? I'm thinking a small GT turbo; after seeing the K04 from a TT, on strictlyderv's 205, this could be a strong potential, plus he has the knowledge after working with it so could prove a useful resource?
Thanks given by:
i was gonna mention the allen bolt as its the same on the dt engines but i werent sure if they were the same, congratulations on getting it sorted though mate looking forward to seein more progress
Vehicle repair and servicing in the midlands pm for details 

Current cars
Subaru Impreza 2.0d - Daily
306 1.8 - track whore soon to be GTI6
Thanks given by:
Well they pull 225bhp standard in the tt's don't they? Expect it'd flow 250-270 at a complete guess
[Image: Ty8kl7b.jpg]
Thanks given by:
(30-06-2012, 11:36 PM)Midnightclub Wrote: Well they pull 225bhp standard in the tt's don't they? Expect it'd flow 250-270 at a complete guess

Yeh that would be a fair point. Think I'd aim for ~300.
Am keen on the KKK range, always hearing GT's blowing..
Thanks given by:
Well, having a look at a few tt graphs for remaps on the standard turbo Should give you a good idea of what it's capable Of, think you may need to look for something slightly bigger for 300bhp though, I reckon 280 could be pushing its limit..

Not sure which other cars carry meaty kkk turbos tbh!
[Image: Ty8kl7b.jpg]
Thanks given by:
(01-07-2012, 12:31 AM)Midnightclub Wrote: Not sure which other cars carry meaty kkk turbos tbh!

The VXR upgrades run a K06 hybrid which comfortably puts out 350~
Thanks given by:
Why not use a TD04? or a TD05 if your wanting bigger?

Reasons behind this.............
1. designed for and fitted too a 2L engine petrol with around 300bhp
2. cheap as fook (especially compared to VAG stuff)
3 they are strong as hell!
4 loads about so easy to get

Just a thought Smile
Team Orange Engine Bay

Thanks given by:
(01-07-2012, 08:33 AM)mark_airey Wrote: Why not use a TD04? or a TD05 if your wanting bigger?

Reasons behind this.............
1. designed for and fitted too a 2L engine petrol with around 300bhp
2. cheap as fook (especially compared to VAG stuff)
3 they are strong as hell!
4 loads about so easy to get

Just a thought Smile

I was honestly thinking this, it's really not a bad shout mate you know.

With the knowledge base on here, it would seem a silly idea to not consider it.

Also, on another, still been in contact with PEC over discussions of a forged ROD for this block. They don't "stock" anything off the shelf but apparently can "alter a set of rods on the next production cycle". Just need to get them some measurements and send it off!
Thanks given by:
Just seems daft to overlook them, they are such a damn good turbo for the cost! I would look at the TD05's TBH as they are what the scooby lot all upgrade to Wink

Mine still has no play after over a year of 35+ PSI and no filter and cost £38........go figure!

Good news with the rods also Smile
Team Orange Engine Bay

Thanks given by:
(01-07-2012, 08:42 AM)mark_airey Wrote: Just seems daft to overlook them, they are such a damn good turbo for the cost! I would look at the TD05's TBH as they are what the scooby lot all upgrade to Wink

Mine still has no play after over a year of 35+ PSI and no filter and cost £38........go figure!

Good news with the rods also Smile

But 35PSI on my setup; wouldn't last 2 seconds Huh
Thanks given by:
(01-07-2012, 09:12 AM)ginge191 Wrote: But 35PSI on my setup; wouldn't last 2 seconds Huh

Yes but you have a petrol engiine, so you would probably only run half that.
Thanks given by:
(01-07-2012, 09:12 AM)ginge191 Wrote: But 35PSI on my setup; wouldn't last 2 seconds Huh

I know that, my point was that you are never going to break one Tongue

Mount the actuator and set the boost to something more sensible lmao
Team Orange Engine Bay

Thanks given by:
Yeh yeh yeh. I hear you's! Not a bad shout to be fair! In fact, it's a very fair shout, I might just look into it, may even sign onto the Scooby forums. Or speak to springs, see if he has any experience/info
Thanks given by:
To just keep this alive; i'm now in the process of building the shed to keep this engine; as many of you may know, it has been raining consantly for a good week now, so between rain today, i managed to get to B&Q, buy some base blocks, and get the ground as level as possible before starting to lay the base of the shed down.

[Image: COKT2.jpg]

I'd like to say there are a few hinderences coming up in the near future, but nothing is set in stone, but as money flow slows down, i can only save SO MUCH before purchasing parts.

Once the shed is up, i can get the 1.8 block in, and get the rest of the parts (head, box, shafts, ECU) off Sam and start getting that ready.

After the shed is in, and the 1.8 is taken apart, i'm going to send/measure a conrod for PEC who'll be making a custom rod from their production line if there is no "off the shelf" jobby.

Appreciate the patience! Donations welcomed Inlove
Thanks given by:
oi shoulda said you were heading to bums and queers, i'd have lent you my dizzy card.

Thanks given by:
(11-07-2012, 06:22 PM)samass Wrote: oi shoulda said you were heading to bums and queers, i'd have lent you my dizzy card.

It's no dramas; i've got a card on the way, friend works there: i had to register my "business" with a "legit" "business card" and "headed letter" to "prove" i was a "genuine" trader....

Cheers anywhoo bumder..
Thanks given by:
lol yeah getting a trade card is a peice of piss... doesnt get you 20% off eveerything else tho, and tbh, trade at B&Q is shiiiiiiiiiiit. it knocks a tenner off, if that.

jus sayin arse fiddler

Thanks given by:
What turbo will you be running on this badboy?
Stage 2 XUD Sedan
Thanks given by:
Just had a little catch up on this, things are looking good! Mark has some good points there, Have you any idea what this engine will be able handle once it done? you know reliably with out killing off other parts every 10mins. any thoughts on diffs yet or is it a bit early for that question?

[Image: DSC_0190-Copy_zpsf093f84d.jpg]
Member of 99% warning or your nothing club!

Thanks given by:
@ strictlyderv: possibly a T25/TD04/K04s ... still undecided

@ puglove: most likely keeping standard box and shafts - i'll do some maths and research nearer the time, there's no reason particuarly why it shouldn't handle the power; looking at the SC builds, pushing 280, some of them are standard, i'll be pushing ~300 mark, thats the aim.
Thanks given by:
Oops yes, missed your previous thread. Yeah it's a good turbo, my mates who I got it from know says they'r at the limit on the 1.8t VAG engines at around 280 bhp and 22 ish psi. Don't know how they compare to a TD04/T25 but i'd imagine they'd be very similar if not slightly better being a newer design maybe which is still being used in production car.
Stage 2 XUD Sedan
Thanks given by:
I know the Astra/Corsa VXR's use a similar turbo on their engines and produce an upgrade of a K04s.

More tempted towards the TD04/05 Undecided
Thanks given by: