1.8-Mi16-GTI6-T

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
1.8-Mi16-GTI6-T
Please note, this project is going to take TIME, so patience is appreciated

So the idea of this engine is to have some heavy boosting powerz, after remembering DJlobb was having a go at people not having a enough boost, and actually porving that there is time/space wherever you are, i thought, **** it, i'm going to build MY perfect engine.

It laymans, it's a XU7JP4 bottom end, an XU10J4 head, combined with forged internals and a turbocharger. Using a GTI gearbox and a 283mm brakes (most likely, this will change)

There's endless amount of reading i've done behind this, so i wont bore you all with what's going to not/work, and MASSIVE credit to Ruan for helping out in sizes/dimensions/general theory and all in all it seems it can be a viable option.

The issues:
- internals; there's no where to obtain XU7JP4 forged pistons and rods - although the Mi16 1.9 forged piston would fit, the gudgeon pin is the same as the 1.8 conrod's, it's finding (if i use forged rods also) forged rods to adapt an Mi16 1.9 piston, and the 1.8 crank.
- ECU; Electrics is not my strong point, i hate it... finding a reputable and decent ECU manufacturer/tuner who would be able to create a standalone system, wiring, adapters etc. etc.
- turbo; WHEN deciding which turbo to use, building a manifold and locating the turbo up to the battery box area, and exhausting out is going to be a challenge, may contact lobb, to see how he piped it ( i know, a different engine, but it's the same concept)

So, enough blab, a few pics.

The donar car
[Image: IMG_1120.jpg]

Using the renault van as a toolbox
[Image: IMG_1123.jpg]

And how we left it
[Image: IMG_1124.jpg]

As it stands, the donar car is jacked up 3 wheels high, has it's driveshafts removed, inlet off, cam belt off, PAS pump off, unfortunately we had to pliers to get any water pipes off and we ran out of time, arrived at 3pm, closed at 5pm.

Going back up after bank holiday weekend, (pray it's not scrapped) and get the water pipes off, drop it out, take gearbox and head off, and take everything else that may come in handy.

Cheers and again, patience appreciated! Time frame for this, i hope to have this done by next summer, i know, sounds a long way away, but funds/uni/work will be massive restrciting factors.
Diablo Hdi Dturbo and 205 1.9 project - it lives!
Thanks given by:
as for the manifold, yes equal length from the ports would be awesome but thought about literally welding a tube from the standard manifold and route it to the battery box?
someone definatly needs a nice expensive trip to emerald to get the ecu work and mapping done, just trailer it over there
[Image: IMG_20130925_181339_zps95df48fa.jpg]
Thanks given by:
4WayDiablo Wrote:as for the manifold, yes equal length from the ports would be awesome but thought about literally welding a tube from the standard manifold and route it to the battery box?
someone definatly needs a nice expensive trip to emerald to get the ecu work and mapping done, just trailer it over there

Yeh, thats probably what i'll do, modify the standard exhaust round, makes sense, but its routing the turbo hot side also :think:
Thanks given by:
run it next to it back down to the location, you may need to modify the downpipe so it clears the manifold area, then heat wrap it like a mutha...
[Image: IMG_20130925_181339_zps95df48fa.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Nice project!

If its any help here are some exhaust pics, basically the dowpipe runs back under manifold and back to where it would be standard:

[Image: IMG_0108.jpg]

[Image: IMG_0109.jpg]

[Image: IMG_0110.jpg]
Thanks given by:
ah ok, i see... quite tight there!
I'm sure i'll sort something out!
Thanks given by:
ginge191 Wrote:ah ok, i see... quite tight there!
I'm sure i'll sort something out!

AKA big hammer
[Image: 306ocsig_edited-1-1.jpg]

306 HDI, soon to be XUD
Thanks given by:
You'd struggle greatly to do the pipe back up with the standard GTi6 manifold - for the hassle you'll have, you may as well drop a proper manifold in there and get it up into the battery box.

Get yourself a welder and get practicing...
(16-05-2016, 10:45 AM)Toms306 Wrote: Oh I don't care about the stripped threads lol, that's easily solved by hammering the bolt in. Wink
Nanstone GTD5 GT17S - XUD9TE
Volvo V50 D5 R-Design SE Sport - Daily cruise wagon.
Thanks given by:
Nice project, I hope it keeps its momentum! I would love to see this happen, some rude hp to be made. I wish I could give some words of encouragement towards this but I know absolutely FA about petrols.

Ruan Wrote:Get yourself a welder and get practicing...

Wise words from mr ruan here, many things can be solved here...
[Image: 22f2b6b2-758b-4c1c-96fb-6fa9c6059b13_zpsf306b56b.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Nice project mate will be watching this Smile

Thanks given by:
niceee
[Image: sign.png]
↑ Project ↑
Thanks given by:
Ruan what do you mean by 'proper' manifold? Custom jobby?
Thanks given by:
Aye.
(16-05-2016, 10:45 AM)Toms306 Wrote: Oh I don't care about the stripped threads lol, that's easily solved by hammering the bolt in. Wink
Thanks given by:
Surely I could use at least the base of be standard ports to get some sort of sure manifold. I might measure the clearance of the engine in the bay to bulkhead and see what I can make up. I've got welding facilities at a mates place, but wouldn't want to 'learn' it as it may be costly...

I'll cross that bridge when it comes to it.
Thanks given by:
Ambitious project, be interested to see how it turns out.
306 HDi Deathtrap - 130bhp / 220lbft
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
Ya poodle, is something I've wanted to do for ages, jm fairly confident,
I've take a while on reading behind a lot and have endless websites, but no one has built like this before, should have some nice power, yet not spit rods!
Thanks given by:
This is essentially a WRC engine - the WRC cars as standard are based on the XU7JP4 block...
Thanks given by:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pmjEcyV9 ... re=related

That is fully what I expect btw...
Thanks given by:
Ruan Wrote:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pmjEcyV95...re=related

That is fully what I expect btw...

this sounds mental!

Good luck mate. cant wait to see it finished Wink
[Image: 306ocsig_edited-1-1.jpg]

306 HDI, soon to be XUD
Thanks given by:
Ruan, with the help on the forum and the time scale given, i can't see why that isn't achieveable.

Pretty exciting - going to need some serious rubber to keep the wheels from burning up
Thanks given by:
What's your rev target? Should be able to fit a big turbo and still get a decent power band with 8.5k...
306 HDi Deathtrap - 130bhp / 220lbft
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
Remember to keep the revs within a relatively normal range... I wouldn't be revving it over about 8.2k, only because otherwise you are going to get valve spring problems with boost + rpms...

Btw, the 1.8 piston/rod little end is a different size than an Mi16...

So if I were you, get rods made essentially with 1.8 big ends and Mi16 little ends.
Thanks given by:
In relation to rev's, it wont be able to rev too high anyway, with standard cams, crank and gearbox, id say it wouldnt be revving as high as you'd expect.

As for the rods, i think a custom jobby is going to be needed. I'll give the specs (sample) to PEC, as requested, once i've got an engine and perhaps the pistons.

Just to keep this alive, i WAS going to get the engine from the scrappy the other day, but after speaking with grant, it seems he may have a spare engine going spare.
So holding on untill after FCS when he may have an engine going spare.

Also, looking into finances for the next 12 months, if keeping to a 3K budget goes to plan, i'd need to put side £60 a week, which i think is pretty reasonable! Smile

Just need to find me a GTI engine.
Thanks given by:
Just to keep this alive - shall be spending a lot more time on this build, now FCS is out the way.

Went back to the scrappy expecting to see the car gone, but luckily it's still there which is nice!

So took off some more of the head, but no Torx piece large enough for the head bolts, so ordered a set ready to take the head off, then drop it alll out, chuck it in the car and send a piston off to PEC for them to find/make me a forged replicate.

[Image: RQOPQ.jpg]
Thanks given by:
You still want the bottom end of my engine? If not I'll just weigh it in mate
[Image: car-1.jpg]

Member of the 99% warning or you're nothing club

2000 Moonstone 1.8 Meridian - Sold
2000 China 3dr XS - Dead
1998 Diablo 3dr XSI
Thanks given by:
if you weigh it in, gimme a piston grant! and a rod. (giggity)
[Image: k6f9Fk]

Member of the 99% warning or you're nothing club
Thanks given by:
Just a quick one as i havent seen it in this thread. In the way of exhaust/turbo it my be worth speak brik with the turbo dimma. Which is basically the same. I.E engine bay/Gti head? He should be able to sort you some pics? just a thought anyway
Thanks given by:
(21-06-2012, 10:53 AM)Grant Wrote: You still want the bottom end of my engine? If not I'll just weigh it in mate

Would cost me more to collect it than getting this from the scrappy mate.

But could you save me a conrod and piston please when you take it apart, think samass was going to use it to help me out.

@ puglove, i've got an engineer who owns/runs an engineering firm round the corner, makes parts for naval ships and the like, he said he'll construct me something.

but yeh, pics from birk's job would be nice Smile
Thanks given by:
Ginge........have a look here Wink

http://www.306gti6.com/forum/showthread.php?id=145056
Team Orange Engine Bay

My flickr photostream - http://www.flickr.com/photos/markairey
Thanks given by:
...again, paying big companies to build stuff for him, not disrespecting the guy, but mine is going to be a built in a shed Confused
Thanks given by: