1.8-Mi16-GTI6-T

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
1.8-Mi16-GTI6-T
Yeah in fairness ginge that car was from america so they won't have the same laws as us etc.. A side exit would be do-able though?
[Image: Ty8kl7b.jpg]
Thanks given by:
So keep this alive; (un)fortunately im taking a week away, which is costing a fair price, so delaying any more progress on this.

I've enquired to TRW who have sourced me a UK dealership and the correct valves to suffice my build, so will order these as and when. At the same time, i'll get the new seals from pug and recon the head.

Had another FML moment today whilst taking things/spares apart

[Image: OtVZx.jpg]

this is broken tool #2 now
Diablo Hdi Dturbo and 205 1.9 project - it lives!
Thanks given by:
Buy good tools! Britool are cheap enough but are good quality, too..
Thanks given by:
This still not done yet?

Decent tools are a good investment. Snap on is expensive but you won't ever break it. Just buy one tool as and when you need it. That's what I'm doing.
Team Eaton

1999 China Blue 306 GTi6 - Eaton Supercharged - 214.5bhp 181lbft
Thanks given by:
(19-07-2012, 09:33 PM)Niall Wrote: This still not done yet?

Decent tools are a good investment. Snap on is expensive but you won't ever break it. Just buy one tool as and when you need it. That's what I'm doing.

No.. i'm waiting on you to come groove my holes... Makeup
Thanks given by:
Giggidy. Did say once you've got loads of shiny parts, I'll come over and help you build it up. Getting an expert at building 1.8s......
Team Eaton

Thanks given by:
(19-07-2012, 09:59 PM)Niall Wrote: Giggidy. Did say once you've got loads of shiny parts, I'll come over and help you build it up. Getting an expert at building 1.8s......

Lol cheers! yeh, the head i'm getting some help from my mate; he's rebuilt many GTI/VTEC heads has a load of tools for it; as for the block, that would be a great help mate.

Have you got any piston compressors and expanders?? or am i going to have to invest?

Also, i have no shiny bits due to a certain lady demanding so many holidays and such Dodgy
Thanks given by:
*ahem*

She better be worth it (that's what he said) -_-

Does that even make sense?
Thanks given by:
I've got a compressor mate Smile
Team Eaton

Thanks given by:
Err I'm not sure if "she" is worth it. I'll let you know when it's over, what "she's" like. My expectations arnt great though..... Sleepy

(19-07-2012, 10:24 PM)Niall Wrote: I've got a compressor mate Smile

..and an expander??
Thanks given by:
Won't need one. Clamp the liners down, pop the pistons out from the bottom and then just use the compressor to pop them back in. Simples.
Team Eaton

Thanks given by:
I also has relevant compressors but no expander but I do have reversible circlip pliers
Thanks given by:
Tbh rings can be such a bastard to fit, it might just be worth bunging a garage a couple of quid to fit them. The guys who did my pistons fitted mine. That way if they snap them, it's their problem. Don't forget you generally can't buy them separately so if you snap a ring, you need to buy a whole new set for that piston which is pricy.
Team Eaton

Thanks given by:
sucks when you break a ring eh....
[Image: k6f9Fk]

Member of the 99% warning or you're nothing club
Thanks given by:
Don't buy snap-on... They DO break, and sometimes even when used within reason. They used to be the best, but that was when they were made in the USA, they're still American but they're mostly made in China or wherever, so the quality isn't what it used to be but they do have lifetime guarantee. Halfords pro are very good tools, and also have lifetime guarantee, but are a bit pricey even on trade. Please don't buy into these Snap-on lies! Smile
Thanks given by:
Like everything, it all ends up being moved over to china, and becoming poop.....old shiz ftw!
| Dyno Power Runs & Steady State Facilities Available, Just Ask Anytime |
| #DervMafia |

[Image: sigi-2.png]
Thanks given by:
(20-07-2012, 12:10 PM)Pugmarshall Wrote: Don't buy snap-on... They DO break, and sometimes even when used within reason. They used to be the best, but that was when they were made in the USA, they're still American but they're mostly made in China or wherever, so the quality isn't what it used to be but they do have lifetime guarantee. Halfords pro are very good tools, and also have lifetime guarantee, but are a bit pricey even on trade. Please don't buy into these Snap-on lies! Smile

From my experience, I don't agree. My new snapon stuff has taken some serious beatings and has never failed. Saying that though it is a true life time warranty (unlike halfords pro). I've got a 19 year old snap on ratchet that has failed. Snap on man has said he will replace it straight away for me when I take it to him. When I find time anyway!
People need to read the small print with halfords pro stuff because it is not a life time warranty.
Team Eaton

Thanks given by:
Any reviews on sealey?
Thanks given by:
Good stuff for what you pay IMO. Got a few sealey bits and there fine. Cheap and cheerful.
Team Eaton

Thanks given by:
I'm no fan of sealey in honesty, most of what I've owned I've broken, same as draper and draper expert... Halfords are epic for what they cost imho, teng are awesome, snap on are amazing, but you do pay for the lifetime warranty... If there's one thing of snap on I'd like its a set of ratchets, they are just properly made with really fine ratchets, the halfords half inch stuff is like 8 ratchets per turn I swear....
(16-05-2016, 10:45 AM)Toms306 Wrote: Oh I don't care about the stripped threads lol, that's easily solved by hammering the bolt in. Wink
Nanstone GTD5 GT17S - XUD9TE
Volvo V50 D5 R-Design SE Sport - Daily cruise wagon.
Thanks given by:
(20-07-2012, 01:02 PM)Ruan Wrote: ... but you do pay for the lifetime warranty...

Sealey also have lifetime guarantee's on their products, and are slightly cheaper than halfords pro and snap on tools... Undecided
Thanks given by:
But again, they're like 8 ratchets per 360*... And they're just not nicely made...

Use Snap-On or Teng stuff and you'll see what I mean... I can't quite explain it, they're just so much better... I'm normally one for if it works, and it's cheap, bonza... But cheapy tools really piss me off... Draper also have a lifetime warranty, loads of things do, but nothing quite like the fact that a Snap-On van will come to you and just give you a new tool... You don't have to drive somewhere, argue whether it's broken by you twatting it, or through fault of the product...

Britool/Facom are also pretty darned good...

Oh and the other ballache with Halfords ratchets, they're not covered under warranty... So you can't use your half inch ratchet as a hammer, disappointingly Sad
(16-05-2016, 10:45 AM)Toms306 Wrote: Oh I don't care about the stripped threads lol, that's easily solved by hammering the bolt in. Wink
Thanks given by:
Yeah the snapon ratchets are brilliant for how fine they are. Great for working in confined spaces.
I've actually had situations before where a halfords ratchet won't do a bolt up because there's not enough room to swing it. Snap on one will do it fine.
I paid £65 for my 3/8 ratchet and was well worth it!

Oh and Ginge as I said mate, careful with all this lifetime warranty stuff because most of it isn't. One reason why snap on is expensive is because it is a true life time warranty.
Team Eaton

Thanks given by:
The old halfords advanced stuff was a real lifetime warranty, they got annoyed with people like darren and ruan smashing the f*ck out of screwdrivers and the like and then going and swapping them for new ones lmao so they changed it when they re-branded it all - true story Wink

Also, Teng tools FTW, snap-on bluepoint stuff is alright as well, some sealey stuff is alright IMO and the halfords pro stuff is decent Smile
Team Orange Engine Bay

My flickr photostream - http://www.flickr.com/photos/markairey
Thanks given by:
Halfords pro isn't lifetime because say for instance you smash a socket in half. If you take it back to them, and it's say 5 years old, they can say "well 5 years worth of use is what we feel is enough therefore the tool has come to the end of its life - no new tool for you.
Team Eaton

Thanks given by:
Halfords pro are good tools....Ive got a load of halfords tools, and 90% of them are still going strong...and ive changed my torx bits / screwdrivers like 100 ties now, they replace them EVERY time, instantly free of charge....so honestly not got a word to say bad about there service tools...

Have also got some snap on air tools, and tbh best air tools ive ever used, right up there with the best...

As for sealey tools, as said, you get what you pay for ah MEH....they are ok as a hobby set, but thats about it...any abuse and they will break / bend...you round a nut and think ffs, but half the time it wouldnt have rounded with quality tool as the socket distorts as much as the nut...and the jacks just go down over time / loose oil, and air tools are just a waste of time...its just cheap chinease crap, does the job, but not for long...
| Dyno Power Runs & Steady State Facilities Available, Just Ask Anytime |
| #DervMafia |

[Image: sigi-2.png]
Thanks given by:
Snap-on are not shit tool by any stretch of the imagination, but they are also not the best. They do offer some of the best tools, but a lot of their range I feel is topped by some of their competitors.

The thing I see broken most snap-on wise is the knob that changes direction on the ratchets, and I've snapped the end off a spanner once from tapping it with a hammer..

(20-07-2012, 01:14 PM)Ruan Wrote: Britool/Facom are also pretty darned good...

This +1... I swear by Britool/Facom, most of my tools are from them, just pisses me off how Facom is so much more, just because it's the European sister-company... The swivel head ratchets are good for doing spark plugs etc, fixed ones are too bulky like niall said.

If you want cheap and cheerful then Gear wrench offer some competitive budget tools, the ratchet's are like Ruan says though, very notchy and they have a very "unrefined" feeling... That is, however, reflected in the price!
Thanks given by:
(20-07-2012, 10:02 PM)Pugmarshall Wrote: .

The thing I see broken most snap-on wise is the knob that changes direction on the ratchets, and I've snapped the end off a spanner once from tapping it with a hammer..

(20-07-2012, 01:14 PM)Ruan Wrote: That's probably because your not supposed to hammer spanners?
End of the day if they break, they replace them...when there being used properly of course.
Britool/Facom are also pretty darned good...

This +1... I swear by Britool/Facom, most of my tools are from them, just pisses me off how Facom is so much more, just because it's the European sister-company...

If you want cheap and cheerful then Gear wrench offer some competitive budget tools, the ratchet's are like Ruan says though, very notchy and they have a very "unrefined" feeling... That is, however, reflected in the price!
Team Eaton

Thanks given by:
There's nothing wrong with giving them a tap, if penetrating oil and tapping the bolt doesn't work... I thing a lot of it is people not looking after them in all honesty. I always clean my tools after using them and never leave them in the rain etc...
Thanks given by:
Haha, I don't think I've taken a photo of my Halfords ratchet spanners...

They're obviously made in the same factory as Gear Wrench and one of them has slipped through the net, as my 17mm Ratchet Spanner is branded "Gear Wrench" and the rest being "Halfords Professional"... Lol!
Thanks given by: