Stage 2 China HDI daily

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Stage 2 China HDI daily
I know me and a few folk on here don't see eye to eye, but I get along with the majority of people and due to boredom at work I thought I'd keep track and post a thread here Smile

So as a few of you might know I moved away from 306s a few years ago and have been driving a Megane R26 for a little over a year, until recently when a rod made an escape for it Sad

So whilst the Megane is (slowly) being forged I needed a cheap daily and ofc we all know the go to car for that job Smile

So here is it a bone stock 306 HDI
[Image: bbde6e2521f59a5936818ac8d9f87302.jpg]

And one with the broken meg Smile
[Image: 9b26874a063789d02d0eb34387191532.jpg]

I bought he car knowing it needed p bushes on both sides, so first thing was to replace both wishbones along with ball joints and new pinch bolts

After driving it for a few days I started to get a little suspicion the turbo wasn't quite right, it drove fine etc but just a little niggle in the back of my mind,

Fast forward about 7 weeks, driving to work the gearbox decided enough was enough luckily I managed to limp it home with some epicly good " that's f*cked mate" looks from some members of the public [emoji23]

So with having to do a fair amount of work and the worry of the turbo in the back of my mind , along with the crank pulley rattling it's tits off, I decided to pull the motor Smile

[Image: 61951f29e252536004a3a205d731642d.jpg]

[Image: ef5cae48834676b8f16502eea074fd8f.jpg]

[Image: 93c807e9fb329c3b4b6abb2720288153.jpg]

So I started work getting the gearbox off, and getting the paddle clutch in which had kindly been donated to me which I sent off to get relined as it wasn't really that old, not 1 drop of oil had come out the gearbox on removal of the driveshafts and the same story with it on the bench. That why it'll be knackered then [emoji23][emoji23]

[Image: cb26fb81a525468a415995dadbf6d17a.jpg]

New release bearing and driveshaft seals were fitted to the box prior to refitting

[Image: 221340a555bd30e6a2235f0da7338d34.jpg]

[Image: 58bd73765b335f5327ccefefc72bc4b7.jpg]

So with that done I moved onto the turbo (The whole reason I pulled the engine),

Fortunately this ended up being the correct choice as upon inspection there was an extremely large amount of play and it wouldn't of been long before it'd have let go

( video won't upload)

Luckily I had already sourced a spare K03 ready to fit which I did along with removing the egr system from the manifold and fitting a 3mm mild steel blank plate

[Image: f13ec59a611c13155ae945e109bc396e.jpg]

So with that sorted I moved onto fixing the crank pulley,
Upon removing the bolt it immediately became apparent there was something else wrong in this area so with a little persuasion I was greeted with a massively distorted woodruff key and a knackered sprocket

[Image: 0d016f8c2f7bdd09fac2df4619680672.jpg]

So I managed the carefully grind the front of the woodruff out allowing me to remove the sprocket, I then found that the actual keyway on the crank was also massively distorted meaning theoretically I'd probably need a new crank, but that's not happening Wink, as the woodruff isn't a load bearing part I can only assume the bolt wasn't torqued correctly previously causing slack and the damage

[Image: 1323f76f4b1286e5322fecc5de148195.jpg]

As you can see in the picture I also installed a new crank seal as that was leaking pretty badly,

What I actually decided to do was pack the woodruff in with a large amount of chemical metal to try and stop any movement

[Image: 214089acb480bb06c5545c897e215436.jpg]

[Image: 61e9071033152de8f77983fd71703e5f.jpg]

[Image: 8bd432d6fd19e1eaaa669282c0713d49.jpg]

I then installed a new crank pulley which I will torque up to spec before running the engine to try and save the woodruff from the same fate as the other one

(Before people moan about this bodge, I know there's probably better ways of doing it but this is what I had to hand! Fingers crossed it works of not I'll work on else)

The belts were done about 5k ago but as I was there i put a new belt on as a matter of course, I also installed an R70 pump which I didn't take any photos of Sad,

[Image: d8ea99b66eeaf1176b35e7d4b59bb934.jpg]

[Image: 0a6ff6a3b6377ee4e97baee61d4305c2.jpg]

I also removed the AC pump and installed a 6pk1173 belt

I then mounted the 406 110 elbow which had been decreased and tapped to allow a boost guage, along with the the egr blanking plate

Then I installed a Turbosmart manual boost controller and bolted it to the inlet manifold using one of the taps where the EGR system would have been bolted to

Then onto the lower engine mount which I replaced for the "Red" diesel power flex mount

No photos of any of that unfortunately Sad

I then went onto prepping the car for the engine going back in, I removed all the AC pipes back to the block on the bulkhead, and then removed the EGR and air doser solenoids rerouting all the vacuum line as to delete it entirely from the car

Unfortunately no photos of that either Sad

We then just before it got too dark managed to drop the engine back onto its mounts

[Image: e6a86108b016f602a3566126c38a7d25.jpg]

[Image: 6f47bbaf96dcdfc32a2cb1675dfafaec.jpg]

And that's how it sits at the moment

This was done in the last 2 Saturdays as I'm limited on time and ofc light. Due to work commitments

This project isn't for all out power I just want a reliable daily with a bit more oomph than stock
For anyone interested the car and engine are on just shy of 200k!!

Oh I managed to pick up the intercooler too!
[Image: d747d42ddc49e8fc98039a151436deae.jpg]

Thanks for reading Smile, I'll be along with more updates soon Smile

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I forgot to mention the car was also dynoed by the previous owner where it pulled something like 78hp, so once it's done I'll be back to the same dyno so we can see the difference in power Smile

Thanks given by:
nice little motor exactly the same as mine. Im going down the same route currently saving for everything i need though as mine currently has a xud in as the hdi was dying a death. Keep us up to date with progress reports everyones always welcome
On a break from 306oc for personal reasons. If anyone needs or wants me most of you have my number and or facebook messenger
Thanks for the good times guys n gals. I might be back. Who knows.
Thanks given by:
(07-02-2017, 08:36 PM)bashbarnard Wrote: nice little motor exactly the same as mine. Im going down the same route currently saving for everything i need though as mine currently has a xud in as the hdi was dying a death. Keep us up to date with progress reports everyones always welcome

To be honest bash, if this doesn't run for whatever reason I'll probably just lob and XUD in it Smile

And believe me it's not a nice motor! [emoji23][emoji23], needs a lot of work in other places too but it'll get there Smile, the main bits are good (roof and rear quarters [emoji23])

Thanks for the support! Smile

Thanks given by:
I bought mine for the rust free example then found a fricken huge hole behind the pas resiviour

On a break from 306oc for personal reasons. If anyone needs or wants me most of you have my number and or facebook messenger
Thanks given by:
Good going deggerz!

Always go back to the 306's when the meg ownership gets too much lol
[Image: 17b33c2a-8471-4313-992e-0a4b324cf926_zps2e63812a.jpg]
Team Cyril
Thanks given by:
(07-02-2017, 08:58 PM)bashbarnard Wrote: I bought mine for the rust free example then found a fricken huge hole behind the pas resiviour

Haha there always something with them!!

(09-02-2017, 09:39 AM)Matt-Rallye Wrote: Good going deggerz!

Always go back to the 306's when the meg ownership gets too much lol

Cheers mate Smile

Haha always, when you need a cheap (now not so cheap) runabout there's only one car that does the job [emoji23]

Thanks given by:
Any updates on this? Always nice to see a derv 306 tuned Smile
Thanks given by:
(21-02-2017, 02:00 PM)MY95 Wrote: Any updates on this? Always nice to see a derv 306 tuned Smile

There is certainly some updates on this Smile, once I get time I'll post up bud Smile

(21-02-2017, 02:00 PM)MY95 Wrote: Any updates on this? Always nice to see a derv 306 tuned Smile

There is certainly some updates on this Smile, once I get time I'll post up bud Smile

Thanks given by:
Spot on, looking forward to them Smile
Thanks given by:
So with with the weather last weekend I managed to get virtually nothing done except go outside and spend 5 minutes putting the ecu back on and a battery to see if she would fire Smile,
Fortunately after a bit of persuasion it did!!

Which brings me forward to this Saturday where the weather was nice fortunately. ( I was working hard so not many photos)

I went out to the car and decided to get everything underneath done first, so driveshafts in, 406 hdi lower boost pipe fitted engine mount on , gear linkages etc etc,

I then went onto tidying up the wiring and adding an extra earth strap as the stock one didn't look upto much so just a bit of insurance Smile,

I then fitted a joiner to the egr cooler pipe and matrix pipe, and got the radiator and slam panel installed which allowed me to run the car for a decent amount of time and bleed up the coolant etc

Which brought her to looking a bit more like a car Smile
[Image: 75b74b72dec93c2617abf3d9bd2c06fa.jpg]

So with all that out of the way Saturday, Sunday I was left with just having to get the cooler mounted and the front end back on and in order

[Image: bcd1bfe9f0d5a8b655a5822a5d86630d.jpg]

Now I had a lot of stock cooler pipes knocking around but nothing nice particularly so I decided to make do with what we had which we did Smile
[Image: 55ef9fd146955a7f2c96407b072eede5.jpg]

[Image: e1b6be21c3c942a9246fff0544389a4e.jpg]

[Image: 23f7d4b582988cf7489078551bdfea94.jpg]

A few bits were made of old exhaust pipe which ofc wasn't ideal but the use of a vice, lump hammer and screwdriver, got a nice swage on them [emoji23][emoji23]
[Image: 3b0380c98157afd9566583ab01f458d7.jpg]

And she was left sitting like this, looks rather oem no matter how bodge it is imho, note the black tape round the old exhaust pipe [emoji23]

[Image: 6d867127eae996a94dc6b7367aa0f7be.jpg]

Also have this ready to go on to make it look a bit more oem.

[Image: 86f0c9fa00ea9e04afa78c1c30a0ad65.jpg]

All that was left at this point was to get the exhaust sorted so I drove the car about 10 miles to a friends unit where he repaired the stainless cat back I had been given (no photos unfortunately)

But the car surprised me on the drive down, I didn't have any issues at all but it was still slow as shit because of the stock map Sad.

So after I'd put about 30-40 miles on her that evening I'd gotten incredibly bored and decided it was time to load the map on there,

So I gave the mbc a few turns and she's peaking about 2bar then settling to about 1.7bar Smile

Down the street I go and Jesus! I wasnt expecting that [emoji23][emoji23], quite a lot nippier than I was anticipating, after a few niggles I had to sort (vac pipe popping off the boost guage) I decided to go for a good drive in her which resulted in me coming across a 330d at some traffic lights, launched it off the line, no traction in 1st or second Sad but we were sat side by side to about 80 when I decided to shut off [emoji23][emoji23]. Unfortunately this then happened
[Image: b2742b3066260444b56c6bd4243d5149.jpg]

Didn't notice the meat wagon behind me at the lights [emoji85]. Got a section 59 which imho is getting off pretty lightly so I just took it and got back in the car with my tail between my legs!

But all in all 2 days later and the car has genuinely not missed a beat at all and I've done a fair few miles in her too!

Keep tuned as next up is the bodywork as it's a shed and hopefully some interior mods Smile

Thanks for reading
Matt

Thanks given by:
Well never mind about the section 59. At least you didnt get more.

Never driven a stage 2 hdi is it really that good. Was gonna skip that step and strap a decent turbo to mine

Thanks given by:
(21-02-2017, 08:36 PM)bashbarnard Wrote: Well never mind about the section 59. At least you didnt get more.

Never driven a stage 2 hdi is it really that good. Was gonna skip that step and strap a decent turbo to mine

Indeed I got away lucky!, It's certainly a more notable jump in power than say stock to stage 1, it's gives the car the urgency it needs, it no longer feels lazy etc, and you can suprise a fair few things with it, although if you're in the position, bolt a decent turbo to it if you can, the stock units are way to small tbf, if I end up popping the turbo on this and I'm in the position to do So I'll stick a bigger blower on Smile

Thanks given by:
They do go well enough up to about 80-90 after that it's pretty much the gearbox that's limiting you going faster though.. definitely should've had a 6 speed from the factory.
[Image: Ty8kl7b.jpg]
Thanks given by:
(22-02-2017, 12:17 PM)Midnightclub Wrote: They do go well enough up to about 80-90 after that it's pretty much the gearbox that's limiting you going faster though.. definitely should've had a 6 speed from the factory.

A longer final drive would've been nice but as you say they go well enough low down, you're never gonna break any speed records in it though Smile

(22-02-2017, 12:17 PM)Midnightclub Wrote: They do go well enough up to about 80-90 after that it's pretty much the gearbox that's limiting you going faster though.. definitely should've had a 6 speed from the factory.

A longer final drive would've been nice but as you say they go well enough low down, you're never gonna break any speed records in it though Smile

Thanks given by:
Good result! I would recommend turning the boost down to about 1.3bar, otherwise you'll be needing a new blower before the year is out.
306 HDi Deathtrap - 130bhp / 220lbft
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
(23-02-2017, 10:40 PM)Poodle Wrote: Good result! I would recommend turning the boost down to about 1.3bar, otherwise you'll be needing a new blower before the year is out.

She'll be alright Smile, This turbos been running 2 bar for the last 2 years and has no play whatsoever Smile, and I've had a play and she seems happiest there tbf, burning clean etc Smile, I've got another spare. Lying around so if it decides to call it a day I'll just lob another on it Smile, I don't have much love for the car tbh so if it breaks I'll fix it [emoji85][emoji85] I appreciate it's a fair amount of pressure for reliability though Smile

*Small update*

Had a feeling I had a sticky caliper, before I did all the work, went out earlier and it's now pretty much seized on and has took the discs and pads along with it Smile,

Luckily I had foreseen this being an issue so discs and pads all round should be here tomorrow and I'd already sourced a replacement caliper, so there's my day off tomorrow ruined [emoji85],

Happily though the cars still running sweet as a nut ! Smile

Cheers
Matt

Thanks given by:
Aha we have all been there with the rozzers on a traffic light gran prix lol anyone that claims they haven't is either lying or boring Wink

Looks an ideal daily barge mate Smile
[Image: 17b33c2a-8471-4313-992e-0a4b324cf926_zps2e63812a.jpg]
Team Cyril
Thanks given by:
That's a seriously impressive swag on those pipes given the tools, good workSmile
Thanks given by:
(24-02-2017, 07:42 AM)Matt-Rallye Wrote: Aha we have all been there with the rozzers on a traffic light gran prix lol anyone that claims they haven't is either lying or boring Wink

Looks an ideal daily barge mate Smile

Haha first time I've actually been caught in 7-8 years though so was a bit gutted [emoji23],

It's far from ideal dude the things an absolute shed inside and out, but it's doing the business mechanically now so I can complain Smile

(24-02-2017, 08:22 PM)Dum-Dum Wrote: That's a seriously impressive swag on those pipes given the tools, good workSmile

We do try Wink

Thanks given by:
Fair enough, i'll pipe down. Impressed with that, must have been well-treated in previous life. Makes you wonder how many failures are down to other factors - irregular oil changes, damaged or blocked feed/return pipes, boost leaks etc.
306 HDi Deathtrap - 130bhp / 220lbft
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Matts daily budget stage 1+ HDi LX. Matt-Rallye 51 16,784 08-01-2015, 05:11 PM
Last Post: Toms306
  FXZ Steve's China HDi - Daily Driver (Picture Heavy) FXZ Steve 17 3,850 19-06-2014, 07:25 PM
Last Post: FXZ Steve
Exclamation PH1 genesis STDT sedan! Stage 2 soon be stage 3 GT20 strictly_perv 127 36,926 16-06-2014, 05:06 PM
Last Post: MissTap_GTI6